Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What are you using for a sim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

peepsalot posted:

this is fully sick but even sicker you should keep those lines from the beggining splash and draw a virtual horizon all the time behind the numbers, and also have the lines move forward depending on wheel speed

thinkin the saaame thing :pcgaming:

i do need to have some modes that are like, useful, where the numbers are big enough to read at a glance and such. but since the display can have any number of modes i'm definitely gonna have one with the moving perspective grid for full 1988 cyberpunk retrofuture

there will also definitely be a sort of "night mode" version (right now this is on the HUD key) where everything goes off except for the top and bottom LED strips, both red, one for tachometer and one broken into segments for common speed limits. so like the first bar lights up when you're under 25mph, one for 25~35, 35~50, 50~65, 65+.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are you using for a sim?

processing

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

If you're on Windows, Hex Workshop can load up struct definitions from C header files, so you could describe your potential data structures like that and get a formatted view of them like that.

I've managed to support function calls with arguments and return values in my GTA-Script compiler, despite the VM not actually having a stack for data. You just use global/static variables inside the function, then describe how to map arguments/return values to/from them in the method definition, like so:

code:
linear_interpolation = function(args: [$lerp_coords1,$lerp_coords2,$lerp_value], returns: [$lerp_coords3]) do
  $lerp_coords3.x  = $lerp_coords2.x
  $lerp_coords3.y  = $lerp_coords2.y
  $lerp_coords3.z  = $lerp_coords2.z
end
When the function is called, the compiler generates variable reassignment instructions before gosub-ing to the code:

code:
interpolated_coords = linear_interpolation(player_coords, 0.0,0.0,0.0, 0.75)
results in:

code:
% assign arguments to static variables used by function
(set_var_float_to_lvar_float ((var lerp_coords1_x) (lvar 0 player_coords_x)))
(set_var_float_to_lvar_float ((var lerp_coords1_y) (lvar 1 player_coords_y)))
(set_var_float_to_lvar_float ((var lerp_coords1_z) (lvar 2 player_coords_z)))
(set_var_float ((var lerp_coords2_x) (float32 0.0)))
(set_var_float ((var lerp_coords2_y) (float32 0.0)))
(set_var_float ((var lerp_coords2_z) (float32 0.0)))
(set_var_float ((var lerp_value) (float32 0.75)))

% gosub to function code
(gosub ((label routine_linear_interpolation)))

% re-assign static return variables to local variables
(set_lvar_float_to_var_float ((lvar 3 interpolated_coords_x) (var lerp_coords3_x)))
(set_lvar_float_to_var_float ((lvar 4 interpolated_coords_y) (var lerp_coords3_y)))
(set_lvar_float_to_var_float ((lvar 5 interpolated_coords_z) (var lerp_coords3_z)))

Do you mind breaking down that last code block for a rube like me? I honestly have no idea what it does.

From the description, it sounds like you're using registers (stored in static variables), rather than a stack, to pass parameters and return a value. Did I get that right?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

enotnert posted:

at my job we have so so so many old loving sensors and simulators that run on gpib and on those HPs like you're futzing with.

You can get an inexpensive gpib to usb adaptor from adafruit (which is fine with what our people are doing which is *shudder* writing their code in excel). . . but if you want to use labview which supports a load more of the standard the NI adapter is like $600

The pci cards that support hpwrite and hpdir can be bought used for under $100

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

thinkin the saaame thing :pcgaming:
:hellyeah: that shits gonna rule

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice

meatpotato posted:

Do you mind breaking down that last code block for a rube like me? I honestly have no idea what it does.

From the description, it sounds like you're using registers (stored in static variables), rather than a stack, to pass parameters and return a value. Did I get that right?

yeah, that's right. the scripting vm it's executing in has ~40kb of working memory, which can be used like static variables or registers. since it doesn't have a proper stack for data, the compiler generates the instructions to to set the arguments first, then executes the function, then sets the return variables afterwards.

unfortunately, this does mean i need to make recursive function calls illegal, as the static variable's values would be clobbered if you called the function recursively.

as far as i know, this is actually the first compiler that can support functions with arguments/returns for this vm. there's no built-in support for anything except basic gosubs, so your code and compiler needs to maintain all the cpu/vm state itself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dunno why the gif is jerky, it's smoother irl

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

dunno why the gif is jerky, it's smoother irl

awesome

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
productive weekend so far, built my mk. 2 discriminator board. had to tweak some component values as usual for RF but now it gives 12 dB SINAD for a -110 dBm input, that's pretty good and perfectly acceptable when used with a good 1st converter

power detector didn't work out perfectly since i forgot that the 2nd lo leaks into the signal path where i coupled it, so the noise floor is about -70 dBm instead of -90 as it should be. still useful though.

other things assembled:
Vackar VCOs for my RX/TX local oscillators, built two of them for 102-104 and 88-90 MHz, very good stability and noise. surprisingly little fiddling to get the right frequency range too.
plan is to make a PLL motherboard for the VCO boards that will have the support circuitry, mostly i wanted to wait until i knew the VCOs worked and measure the gain before ordering the board.

just assembled now: CDCR83 RAMBUS clock generator IC test board, plan is to use it in a transmitter to multiply the 88-90 MHz VCO up to the correct frequency to mix with my modulator output. i picked up a bag of those on eBay and they sure looked like decent ICs.

surprisingly it worked even better than expected; it will multiply to output frequencies far outside the guaranteed range (specified for 400 MHz, just tested it at 800 MHz). output is pretty clean with only a few spurs pretty far away from the center that will be caught in the band pass filters of the final design.
it also has enough bandwidth to carry narrow band FM straight through which is good to know.

RAMBUS: good?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
speaking as someone who owns a rambus PC, it is extremely good

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Luigi, you may need one of these - it's a 6502 board built at 7000:1 scale.

http://monster6502.com/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
that's loving ace

they missed a trick by not making it 6502:1 scale, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ynohtna posted:

that's loving ace

they missed a trick by not making it 6502:1 scale, though.

I got the 7000:1 from some earlier article and I think it's wrong. The monster is 12 inch x 15 inch, or 304.8mm x 381mm. The original 6502 chips were 4.3mm x 4.7 mm, so this is more like 70:1 or 80:1 depending on which dimension you look at.

Bitcoin Boxturret
May 22, 2017

by Smythe

Bloody posted:

my work at least has the potential to be lifechanging for millions of people in a few years if my sponsoring company and i continue to see it through

nope.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wow that post is a blast from the past

Bitcoin Boxturret
May 22, 2017

by Smythe

Bloody posted:

wow that post is a blast from the past
I've been remiss in my SA duties of late, I'm working through some of what I missed.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moron izzard posted:

The pci cards that support hpwrite and hpdir can be bought used for under $100

Nice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

planning out the graphics for my motorcycle instruments, and i figured i'd make a simulator why not, so i can work out the exact pixel dimensions and prototype animations and poo poo

:toot:

top and bottom are LED strips for the tachometer/idiot lights/night mode/etc and the four circles are MFD buttons. Processing is great for hacking out graphical stuff like this really fast but it's also real lovely at handling accurate bitmapped fonts for some reason so i'm still working on that

you couldn't get a display in green?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he explicitly wanted amber and had to special order it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amber is the true and good color

green is for plebs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

green is for plebs

is that why ur name is a shade of green (+brush) ????

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

green is for plebs

agreed

amber phosphors are the best phosphors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

is that why ur name is a shade of green (+brush) ????

sage green is a beautiful color but it's not the same color as green phosphors.

i'm considering wrapping the bike with sage metallic vinyl though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

amber is the color of your energy

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Endless Mike posted:

amber is the color of your energy

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Cross post from the share screenshots thread in CoC:

I have a domain I was doing nothing with, so I made a spiral graph thingy

http://www.mysterysystem.com

Make cool stuff

More images: http://imgur.com/gallery/PCfHc

Have fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/etthq/status/868692393020710912

lmao so I joined all the 12v and all the 0v and made it try to power a large class d amp and the amp just shuts off under very low volume so eityher the amp is hosed (maybe? last time it was used the power wire burned out?) but anyway this power supply is sweet and so quiet so now its ppowering another car amp.. but this one not so grunty and its so quiet dnmg so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know that some pc power supplies are unstable under very low loads

that might have something to do with it

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
amp could have a low voltage cutout too?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i know that some pc power supplies are unstable under very low loads

that might have something to do with it

well wat i did was plug it in and very sloely increase volume and the two times i did it it just shut off as i put the volume up?

ive got it now running a smaller amp. will see how it goes

longview posted:

amp could have a low voltage cutout too?

?? what would that do

i mean i combined those rails so i would have thought 38amps would be enough but idk?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh it doesnt run my small amp either

like at small volumes it does

:(

which is weird coz this old as gently caress power supply that apparentyly suppluies 1/3 of the amps does

maybs need a large capacitor?

bugger. its so nice and queiet too

and lol cant find small screwdriver to open up multimeter to change batteries to even see if its still supply power or what coz the amp shuts off but the power supply keeps going so who knopws what its doing. gently caress me

e: word is that if there are actually two rails in the power supply then i cant join then, but that most power supplys dont have two physucally different rails so im banking on that. will need to multi meter than poo poo i guess

is it possible that my soldering is so bad that could introduce too much resistance? coz id be too embarrased to show u guys how poor I did it

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 28, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does it require a higher supply voltage? the class D amp i was makin with that ti part earlier itt took like a 36 or 48 or something volt supply

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fix your multimeter first and report back cause ain't no good troubleshooting if you don't even know what the supply is doing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

does it require a higher supply voltage? the class D amp i was makin with that ti part earlier itt took like a 36 or 48 or something volt supply

its a car amp

Sagebrush posted:

fix your multimeter first and report back cause ain't no good troubleshooting if you don't even know what the supply is doing

yeah so shedding some light

voltage at the amp was like 11.8.. and then once volume up dropped to 1v

chedk the grey wire at 5v when good and drops to 0v once it shut off (the grey is like a voltasge ok one?)

when running 5v was at 5.2 or something

ok so i think somethings hosed with how i have soldered it or joined something inapparoptately

coz i cut all my joins off and the indivials wires measure at 12.1v

so I guess the question is, is this thing work when i join the wires together? will just keep loving around I guess and hope i dont die

e: i opened it up. on the board are 4 main points where the 12v wires come out. there are 3 holes named 12v1 12v2 and 12v3 with wires coming out

two sets of wires come out of 12v1, and 1 set each from 12v2 and 12v3

so i measure the resistance between each pair in the 4 sets of wires and 0.6ohm is the resistance

which from what I have read tells me they are all connected interally

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 29, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you really need both 12v rails? cause if bridging them is what's making it gently caress up (i wouldn't know about that) but one rail is 19A that's still 230 watts which seems like quite a lot

make sure you're measuring the voltage on the wires with a load btw. open circuit doesn't really tell you much. put a 12v halogen light bulb across it while measuring

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

do you really need both 12v rails? cause if bridging them is what's making it gently caress up (i wouldn't know about that) but one rail is 19A that's still 230 watts which seems like quite a lot

make sure you're measuring the voltage on the wires with a load btw. open circuit doesn't really tell you much. put a 12v halogen light bulb across it while measuring

ok good about the load. the amp was a load which seemed to drop it to 11 point something

i probably dont need both rails for the small amp but the large amp is 800w max (its a fuckin huge as gently caress amp) and if i wanted any volume out of it id need it

e: apparentylly having a large 12v load and no 5v load can trigger some kind of shutdown..

lol wish id investigated that before chopping all my soldering off :idiot:

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 29, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya pc power supplies are weird and fickle beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is cool and quiet though.

hpoefully its the load on the 5v issue.. then i will be able to run super bass