Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Oh, poo poo. Well I'll have to give that a try then.

EVERSPACE is out on Steam with VR support, I'll check it out and come back with a trip report: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

It's basically the combat of Freelancer mixed with an FTL adventure system. As long as you like procedurally generated space zones and Roguelite death elements, then the game is amazing fun (and that was the non-VR version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Lemming posted:

He probably meant authenticity, so like playing on the original Enterprise and the captain sexually harassing everyone

Yeah this. My family is full of Trekkies, and makes a fan film series as a group hobby, and they get wayyyyyy into role play.

Picked up Superhot VR. Beat it in under an hour. I'll probably play through it again several times and definitely make it a "showcase" game. Despite the length, the experience is definitely worth $20 to me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rastor posted:

Sublevel Zero is one of those "Seriously, why is this not VR" titles and it's finally going to happen on July 13 when it relaunches as Sublevel Zero: Redux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8QKHj27Og

Looks a lot like Descent VR, which im on board with.

Does it have HOTAS support?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

InevitableCheese posted:

Yeah this. My family is full of Trekkies, and makes a fan film series as a group hobby, and they get wayyyyyy into role play.

Picked up Superhot VR. Beat it in under an hour. I'll probably play through it again several times and definitely make it a "showcase" game. Despite the length, the experience is definitely worth $20 to me.

If you already have Suoerhot you can score it for around $15 which is cool as gently caress too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pavlov is a lot of fun. It's a happy medium between CS and something more realistic, more of an action movie feel.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just flew from a station to an ice planet, parked in a canyon, and hosed around in a buggy spinning brodies, seamlessly, all in VR. Elite really is the flagship title for this medium.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Taintrunner posted:

Just flew from a station to an ice planet, parked in a canyon, and hosed around in a buggy spinning brodies, seamlessly, all in VR. Elite really is the flagship title for this medium.

Elite, Driving sims, Minecraft, multiplayer shooters, and the social games will probably be where my long term value comes from on the Vive. I feel like most people who get disappointed with VR are the ones who bought it for the gimmick games like Job Simulator, Virtual Rickality etc. For me these were just an extra feature.

I'm already to the point less than a week in where I've beaten all the smaller games, but I'm still very excited to play more of the longer ones.

I picked up the Serious Sam Second Encounter game for VR and they play really well. I never knew how large some of these enemies were. I've played a lot of SS over the years, so I'll be getting them all eventually.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InevitableCheese posted:

I never knew how large some of these enemies were.

This is definitely the coolest part of playing games I already know and love in VR, just the scale of things. Anyone who knows Minecraft knows that canonically a block is 1m^3 but the default perspective hides the size to a certain extent. When you first enter the world in VR it feels almost like the Super Mario giant world.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you buy Star Trek Bridge Crew (Oculus version) directly from the Ubisoft store, it is giving you a working Oculus Home key and you can start playing it right now. I've just done it and it works. They e-mail you an Oculus Home key. It is apparently USA only, though, so if you are not in the USA you need to VPN.

http://store.ubi.com/us/star-trek--bridge-crew/57c16e920c8ee41c4f8b4567.html#start=3

Instructions on VPN:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6dt3gj/star_trek_bridge_crew_available_from_oculus_home/di59q58/

EDIT: Looks like they pulled it. Not in my Oculus library anymore.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 28, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's launching tomorrow at midnight EST right? At least it's not far away

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Rastor posted:

Sublevel Zero is one of those "Seriously, why is this not VR" titles and it's finally going to happen on July 13 when it relaunches as Sublevel Zero: Redux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8QKHj27Og

Sublevel Zero had VR in its beta branch for a while

Edit: Beaten

iceaim fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 28, 2017

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

wolrah posted:

canonically a block is 1m^3
which is total bullshit, in the original Minecraft expanded universe canon, the cubes are supposed to be 1m^4 :argh:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How many years till VR is worth it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

2-3 tops, I love my Rift and find cool weird poo poo on it every day, but it's not a die-hard essential just yet.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
VR is fun and good but it's still a retardo luxury. Basically just ask the question "Would I notice $1000 disappearing from my bank account?" If the answer is yes then it probably isn't for you yet, as it is still just a fun novelty.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Depends on who you are, I don't regret buying a headset at all totally worth it to me. You gotta really want it to be on board first gen though, its only gonna get cheaper and better

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
VR is worth it to me already as well, for racing games it's just where I want to be. Also resource extraction sites in Elite Dangerous are just :stare: levels of amazing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phi230 posted:

It's worth it now, though not on PC. Gear VR and PSVR are much more affordable and still great.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yes I would like to be in a world where I race on giant sky maps with my motorcycle arms please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUN8KBqTYA

iceaim
May 20, 2001

El Grillo posted:

Yes I would like to be in a world where I race on giant sky maps with my motorcycle arms please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUN8KBqTYA

Is that itch url working for you? It's giving me a itch not found error.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm remembering Red Planet from "Virtual World" as a child and wondering if there is anything like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPMK4L_Qv4 (Featured: Weird Al, Cheech, everything 90s as gently caress)

Basically I'm looking for racing games that aren't cars.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

In case anyone is interested in playing, I got a game of Iron Wolf multiplayer setup.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm remembering Red Planet from "Virtual World" as a child and wondering if there is anything like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPMK4L_Qv4 (Featured: Weird Al, Cheech, everything 90s as gently caress)

Basically I'm looking for racing games that aren't cars.

Redout is good, there is a demo on Steam too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA4Q_b9wrcM&t=127s

Radial G is fun as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWA1FmFtW8

Race The Sun is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4oCSM7c7A&t=143s

Thumper is sort of a future racer in it's own way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chyNh48mE6k&t=320s

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just wanna say thanks to Rastor for letting me know I should be in this thread.

Also wanted to say Cosmic Trip is loving amazing, recent mixed reviews on Steam be damned.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Just wanna say thanks to Rastor for letting me know I should be in this thread.

Also wanted to say Cosmic Trip is loving amazing, recent mixed reviews on Steam be damned.

It's like an RTS? I've had trouble understanding what it actually is from it's steam page :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

It's like an RTS? I've had trouble understanding what it actually is from it's steam page :(
Yeah it's an RTS, a difficult one at that. You teleport between nodes with the ability to build stuff at any of them, building robots to do things for you like resource gathering or defenses against the enemy. It's really slick graphically and thematically while also being rather slick with how well it handles. You can bring up a map and put your hands into it to act as a mouse cursor and command your units as well, which is really nicely done. I can't recommend it enough because you eventually get into this kind of zone where you're just pulling off a bunch of actions in quick succession and getting a lot of poo poo done to the point you forget you're wearing a headset.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

iceaim posted:

Is that itch url working for you? It's giving me a itch not found error.
It's been greenlit on steam, phone posting so don't have link but they're releasing early access there soon

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

DaveKap posted:

Just wanna say thanks to Rastor Zsinjeh for letting me know I should be in this thread.
You're welcome :colbert:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's worth it now, though not on PC. Gear VR and PSVR are much more affordable and still great.

I would say the other way around, considering the Vive even has a zero interest twelve month funding option the barrier for entry isn't exactly huge.

PSVR maybe that could be worth it, but GearVR? I don't know anyone who has them and use them regularly except for showing others VR.

I've gotten several hundreds of hours worth of gaming from my Vive, so I'd say it's been well worth the money.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fredrik1 posted:

I would say the other way around, considering the Vive even has a zero interest twelve month funding option the barrier for entry isn't exactly huge.

PSVR maybe that could be worth it, but GearVR? I don't know anyone who has them and use them regularly except for showing others VR.

PSVR and Gear are super loving cheap and you get to watch movies (and other videos) or TV shows in VR. Gear in particular is excellent for that, but PSVR is great as well (Dredd blu-ray in 3d, in VR, is amazing).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fredrik1 posted:

What? A thousand dollars at once or a thousand dollars over 12 months is still a thousand bucks. And financing loving vr system is a horrific idea, don't do that that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Watching movies in VR isn't great. In my opinion 2k resolution just isn't sufficient when the display is so close to your face and personally the inconvenience of the headset (even with Daydream which is relatively light and comfortable) always makes the alternative of just watching stuff on your phone's display preferable.

I am really not sure VR is going to become a widely used platform for non-VR content consumption until it matches the convenience factor (not to mention the 'embarrassment of using in public' factor).

If MagicLeap actually live up to their promises this might be viable in the next couple of years but I'm very skeptical.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

What? A thousand dollars at once or a thousand dollars over 12 months is still a thousand bucks. And financing loving vr system is a horrific idea, don't do that that.

$800 @ $66.58/mo

Maybe not the best idea now being mid-cycle into the hardware generation but more people with VR poo poo is a good thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Gear VR and the like are much cheaper yeah, but the experience is a pale one compared to a Rift or Vive. Gear VR stuff is "oh neat" where the Rift and Vive go "holy poo poo"
Until there is hand controls that work when you can't see your hands (if you turn your head) on mobile VR it will always be this way. Inside out tracking will help of course but without the interaction it's all passive.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The Rift still isn't at a great price point, Vive's is just absurd. I don't recommend anyone buy now when they can just do anything else for a year and come back to a way better value proposition.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of GearVR, can anyone recommend me any (preferably free) titles and or experiences? I got mine a while ago and have been subsisting mostly on youtube movies (even though the search function is dreadful since there are no peripherals and the voice recognition doesn't seem to work for me) and a few of the featured things in the oculus store.

As for what I'm looking for, right now it doesn't really matter? I just want cool VR experiences.
This technology is so amazing. Even though most things I've seen so far in the Gear have been pretty low res or blurry at times, when it worked well it *really* worked.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooz posted:

The Rift still isn't at a great price point, Vive's is just absurd. I don't recommend anyone buy now when they can just do anything else for a year and come back to a way better value proposition.

I think it's an enthusiast thing at the moment, VR in general. I sort of see it like drones, a pal of mine bought one a few years ago with a HD camera and it cost him £25,000 and now you can buy them for gently caress all basically. We are at the £25,000 period right now with VR. I couldn't do without it now but I am firmly an enthusiast, and a hobbyist and a colossal nerd. And a twat.

Point is those early adopters with their £25,000 drones made the general masses lust after them and so a market was made for that product, we need that to happen next with VR and I think it will.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Calm down. It's not a horrific idea to finance a VR system at 0 percent interest if you can afford the monthly plan, have good credit, want to further improve your credit, have an appropriate PC, and stable income.

A thousand dollars over 12 months is a much smaller hit than a thousand dollars all at once for some people. I would completely agree with you if Vive financing involved interest, but interest free financing is a game changer.

Here in Hong Kong there are no financing options that I know of, so I ended up paying for my Vive in cash plus PC parts to build my VR rig; I love VR and want to see more headsets sold so that the VR market grows. Honestly VR as a hobby is pretty affordable compared to other hobbies. Look at scuba diving and paint ball for example. Both are pretty expensive compared to VR once you factor in all of the gear you need.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 29, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Given the release of Star Trek Bridge Crew shortly, your usual reminder There is a VR Goons Discord for finding fellow VR goons to play VR games with. We've only had a few successful outings including a very fun time in Rec Room, hopefully Bridge Crew will breathe some life into us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Samsung showed off this screen today, pics taken through the lenses.