Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I too love games where nothing you do matters in the face of sheer RNG.

We get it, we're not allowed to like the game because you said so. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I've been playing Jason 7 to make it harder on myself. You don't have the rundown capability of 3 or the walk speed or ranged shenanigans of 6. You can see where people are all day but it's actually hard to catch them, and you have to play smart and hit and run a lot to kill more than 1 or 2 people. The cop call is a genuine threat because even the slower counselors can ditch you jogging and get to the edge, especially in crystal lake, on foot.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"I'm bad at this, so no one else should do it."

- that guy talking about Friday the 13th, having friends, doing sex, and posting online

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Friday the 13th game where Jason isn't a killing machine that you should be scared of would be like a GTA where no car can go above 20 mph because it's too hard to steer when going fast.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

If I try to connect and keep running into the failed database login, will it eventually let me in if I keep trying, or is this something that just means I can't get in until it's fixed?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also:

Losing is Fun.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If I try to connect and keep running into the failed database login, will it eventually let me in if I keep trying, or is this something that just means I can't get in until it's fixed?

In PS4 I've had luck quitting after 4 minutes and trying again.

It helps that I can smoke or pet my dog while waiting and it's not pressing.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also:

Losing is Fun.

Dead chat is the best. I love following Jason and watching the slaughter of idiots making terrible decisions in a pinch.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
To whoever suggested breaking all the windows but one, and then setting a trap there, you are a genius. I've caught so many people that way.

My last victim was some screechy kid who was the last remaining player. He spent the entire session hiding out while I hunted down the other players. I finally tracked him down to the cabin he was in and set up a trap outside the sole unbroken window, while he was taunting me. I casually broke through the door, and he stunned me and ran for the window.

As he was going through: "Wow you suck at this"

2 seconds later: "MOTHERFUCKER! gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU!"

Just as my stun wore off, he ended up going back into the cabin due to hammering X to break free and ended up in my arms. I promptly threw him back out.

As we went back to the lobby, he was raging and cursing. He also accused me of hacking and said he would report me and I'd be banned forever. Then he promptly rage quit after that parting statement.

Money well spent on this game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there was less than 2 minutes left on the clock so that must have especially stung.

Nicaden fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 29, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nicaden posted:

To whoever suggested breaking all the windows but one, and then setting a trap there, you are a genius. I've caught so many people that way.

My last victim was some screechy kid who was the last remaining player. He spent the entire session hiding out while I hunted down the other players. I finally tracked him down to the cabin he was in and set up a trap outside the sole unbroken window, while he was taunting me. I casually broke through the door, and he stunned me and ran for the window.

2 seconds later: "MOTHERFUCKER!"

Just as my stun wore off, he ended up going back into the cabin due to hammering X to break free and ended up in my arms. I promptly threw him back out.

As we went back to the lobby, he was raging and cursing. He also accused me of hacking and said he would report me and I'd be banned forever. Then he promptly rage quit after that parting statement.

Please tag this post as :nws: because that's some drat tantalizing erotica.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nicaden posted:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there was less than 2 minutes left on the clock so that must have especially stung.

Was that player named DreamShipwreck or Coolguye?

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

Was that player named DreamShipwreck or Coolguye?

No, he was your average PS4 kid, cocky as hell. His name was Sonic with a bunch of numbers added. Definitely fit the stereotype of a gamer kid which I thought was just an exaggeration

That moment made all the server issues worth it in the end. Even the other players were cracking up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Things Based Off Movies I Like Are Beyond Criticism Or Improvment. God Bless My Perfect Sacred Cow.

Alien: Colonial Marines was really a masterpiece, wasn't it guys

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Nicaden posted:

Yep. Owning pubbies never gets old. I remember a recent Jason round where the first thing I did was teleport to the car to boobytrap it. I appeared right next to a counselor. She said "You know what? Just kill me. This is the shittiest spawn EVER." So I did. Then I hunted the rest down one by one. One of them tried to make a break with the fuel,leading me on a merry chase,taunting me all the while. He eventually got caught on a piece of scenery....right next to the fireplace. His cry of "OH COME O-" as I roasted his nuts filled me with great joy.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Things Based Off Movies I Like Are Beyond Criticism Or Improvment. God Bless My Perfect Sacred Cow.

You seem upset. If every try hard like you is this salty then I am happy that the devs are refusing to make changes to Jason. Hahahaha better see if steam will give you a refund now.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

youre a huge pussy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game is not good enough to justify the amount of fun I'm having playing it. like as a game its pretty solid, not really amazing, but good enough at what it does to be the right framework for a bunch of wacky horror movie shenanigans

The people playing it raise it above itself as an experience. even the people who are bad at it. even the people who troll other players, or rage out, or just get mega salty. they all make the game better

there's something special in how they designed this game and I don't know if it will keep things going long-term, but right now? this game is a ton of fun

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Games based on movies almost universally suck. The only exceptions I can think of are this, Spider-Man 2, and T2 The Arcade Game, so your sacred cow argument is literally the most retarded post ever put online. HTH.

Maybe you should try getting good at the game instead of being a huge human being?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo you can kill someone with the white chair in packnack.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh god jason quoting the entire john galt speech. I'm loving dying over here.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Agreed

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also:

Losing is Fun.

I just got stuck in a game where Jason refused to kill his 2 counselor friends and I was stuck for 10 minutes watching them repair stuff and heal in order to presumably level up. loving pubbies.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The more I think about it the more grab seems useless. If you are close enough to attack then you can almost always just hammer away at them until they die. Makes it so you never get hit with pocketknives too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just got stuck in a game where Jason refused to kill his 2 counselor friends and I was stuck for 10 minutes watching them repair stuff and heal in order to presumably level up. loving pubbies.

I had something like that earlier only it was way more fun and surreal. Two griefers repaired the car and just drove around trying to run people over. It looked like the shittiest demolition derby ever. I was juking them pretty well and almost made it to 20 minutes, but I screwed up and didn't check my escape route properly. Made me panic and hit one of my attackers with my weapon, which was a bad idea since it put me too close to him to dodge properly. Oh well.

Shadowplay footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKwZc1G5os

Red Mundus posted:

The more I think about it the more grab seems useless. If you are close enough to attack then you can almost always just hammer away at them until they die. Makes it so you never get hit with pocketknives too.

Combat-oriented councilors like Buggzy and Adam will make you regret this if the player has any experience at all with combat mode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GOON TALES THE WHATEVER-

So I played a few goon games tonight. We had some really on point Jasons, and then one really lovely one (Me) who seemed to forget how to grab people until the last few minutes when he finally got two kills (Totally thought it was E for some loving reason. Fourth time ever playing Jason!)

I died every time I wasn't Jason, and quite frankly they could have killed me as Jason if they had wanted to. Until I remembered how to grab people anyways!

So by my final game, sadly after Tinfoil had bowed out without being gunned down by his companions, though after he ran over one of his companions in turn, I was well and sick of dying. I declared to myself, this time, this time Burk lives.

I spawn on the goddamn motherfucking porch of the giant rear end house that is the biggest Jason beacon to ever exist in the world. As Vanessa. I scream a lot. Some of my fellows may have heard me screaming, I'm not entirely sure- there were others there. I did not stay long however as I ran the gently caress off into the woods blindly, just trying to get into the middle of goddamn nowhere to figure out what to do.

When I arrived at the cabin, I found a map, a pocket knife, a walkie talkie, and gas. Being a Vanessa, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of trying to gas up the car. Then I heard a voice over the walkie talkie, a wonderful Psygonis. He mentions idly that he has the propeller. He mentions having something else as well but I largely ignore that. I look at the map and discover I'm not terribly far from the boat. He's a ways off though.

I go back to fretting about the gas not wanting to leave it behind. Eventually I realize that Psy is on the correct road, and that if we meet up, we can get to the boat and get the gently caress out. I hoped, in my heart, that he would not be a Vanessa.

It was a false hope. He strolled up as Vanessa as you please. So we two Vanessas ran off to the boat and hosed up fixing it so many times. Just, all of the times. After some fuckery over who would drive, I got in and started the boat so he could get in, which we totally did not forget. And then I drove into a rock.

Thankfully a true hero and patriot was juking the gently caress out of Jason, and the Vanessas survived unscathed, having not even met our Silver Nova Jason.

After this I fully realized just what Psy had- he still had the phone fuse. Meaning we had taken one of the only gas tanks, and we had taken the phone off the table. We had well and truly hosed over everyone else, in under 8 minutes no less!

And then Olesh got clever.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Goons I'm gonna play this game. Please play with me so I don't cry. Psn: GremLegend

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Which is dumb cause they could do this in private matches.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red Mundus posted:

Counterpoint: You can gently caress up Jason with a baseball bat. If you're a counselor in​ a standing fight, you can also bob and weave like Muhammad Ali. Counselors have tons of advantages if they keep cool and time their attacks.

If you have a bat/machete and a pocket knife AND you're Vanessa you can dick around with Jason like he's a loving scrub.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The way I've been doing it is to wait for Jason to make the first move, dodge backward, and hit him back. His attacks have more priority so trying to hit first is a fool's errand. The grab is the big problem since it comes out so fast, his weapon attacks have some warm up tell that let you dodge backward.

What I'm saying is, bring a pocketknife.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Haha, fastest game ever. Spawned by boat as Buggsy. Find propeller in the first house. Run to boat as Chad shows up with the gas. In complete silence, we both manage to somehow not gently caress up our repairs, then got in and peaced out. I think the whole thing was under 3 minutes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's a patch coming now that should finally set everything straight, except for console matchmaking. Quoting the sticky on the Steam forum

quote:

Server Maintenance to occur - Should fix 'Database Login Failure,' XP issues, level issues, etc.
Service Update! - PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING COMPLETELY SO YOU ARE AWARE:

Okay, so the team is working on a fix for servers. These server issues have been causing the Database Login Failure, the level issues where people are not gaining XP, as well as perk assignment issues that have been present from launch. Obviously, this is causing a damper on gameplay for people. We're looking to change that.

The short of it is; we will be shutting down servers completely at around 7AM EST for maintenance. We expect them to be down until around 10AM EST, though this could be a shorter time. We will post when things are back online. This shutdown will affect ALL THREE PLATFORMS: STEAM, XBOX ONE and PS4.

When servers do come back online; you should no longer see the database login failure, you should see your stats set to where they need to be from gameplay with unlocks and perks and you should able to work with your account as normal.

Bear in mind; this will not affect matchmaking issues that are still present on Xbox One and PS4. This is mainly to remove the server issues for accounts still being locked out and seeing their stats/unlocks not displaying/unlocking correctly.

We hope this is a step in the right direction and are confident in things working well, but please bear with us. We're working hard at it! Apologies for the inconvenience, but this should stabilize things for users. Our next big goal is matchmaking for PS4 and Xbox One!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Red Mundus posted:

The grab is also better because it's uninterruptable and you are invincible during it. So if you have a cocky person with a gun in the group you can choke out people without worrying about being immediately downed.

Plus you can grab right out of shift so it has basically no drawbacks apart from the long animation. Pocketknives aren't that common as far as I have seen.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

If it gives me host of a quick play lobby and I leave during the game, will it end the game or migrate hosts?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Pocketknives aren't that common as far as I have seen.
they never seem that common when you're playing as a survivor, but as Jason i swear i need to pull 2-4 out of my neck every goddamn game.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If it gives me host of a quick play lobby and I leave during the game, will it end the game or migrate hosts?
if you're a survivor in this case it *~should~* migrate, but that's quite a word now isn't it

if you're jason it doesn't matter because it ends anyway.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, my headset on ps4, the golds, don't pick up in game sound. They work perfectly fine on every otger game but not this one.

Also I'm currently in a closet with Jason wailing away in the door and it won't open. I've never tried to get in a closet as Jason but I can only assume this dude is doing something wrong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grem posted:

So, my headset on ps4, the golds, don't pick up in game sound. They work perfectly fine on every otger game but not this one.

Also I'm currently in a closet with Jason wailing away in the door and it won't open. I've never tried to get in a closet as Jason but I can only assume this dude is doing something wrong.

yeah, you can't just swing your weapon at a closet, you need to use an action key to check it. it's easy to miss if you're already in tunnel vision kill the mans mode.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Coolguye posted:

they never seem that common when you're playing as a survivor, but as Jason i swear i need to pull 2-4 out of my neck every goddamn game.

if you're a survivor in this case it *~should~* migrate, but that's quite a word now isn't it

if you're jason it doesn't matter because it ends anyway.

Ah, that sucks that it is so janky. Died in the first minute in a game where I had host and just had to sit there for 20 minutes because I was afraid it was going to dump the whole game.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Please add me to the list of xbone goons. GT: Suede Falcon

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Grem posted:

As Jason, I've twice experienced a glitch where a brown closet with a counselor inside didn't give me an interaction prompt.

Randomly hacking at it scared one guy out. The other game I had to teleport away and wait for him to leave.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
I had the most ridiculous car escape experience earlier. It's long, but worth it.

I'm playing as Part 2 Jason and the other players managed to get the four-seater started, three of them inside. The exits are to the east and west, and the car is facing south on a road that connects to the big road leading to the exits. Since they're facing the wrong way, they drive forward so they can pull a u-turn. I morph then shift in front of their car. I smash the car, but one of them gets out and shoots me. They restart the car as I get back up and give chase.

They keep going and I realize they're going to try and cheese the escape by reversing all the way to the west exit. My morph is still down and I figure that they've got an escape locked in. Unfortunately for them, while reversing is faster than my running speed, it is also slow enough to let my morph refresh and get behind their car just a couple yards from the exit. They hit me with the rear bumper which sadly doesn't knock out the engine. What it does, however, is give me time to run over and yank AJ out of the driver seat. Cue a flurry of combat and chasing which includes me getting shot with a flare gun, getting stunned multiple times (Part 2 Jason is weak to this), me setting a trap by the driver's door, and pocketknives. They finally manage to trigger and escape the trap, stun me and get back in the car and start the engine, but not before I could get behind their car again.

They decide to drive forward and make for the east exit. I morph in front of them before the exit and smash the car again. Another flurry of activity, this time with firecrackers. AJ decides to sacrifice herself so the other two can escape, and I finish her off with melee attacks because you just know that rear end in a top hat had three pocketknives. The others get the car rolling past me, and I watch helplessly as the remaining two survivors drive toward safety.

But no! For some reason I can't fathom the new driver seems to think that the exit isn't about 40 feet in front of them and instead is at the end of a smaller road leading south. He veers off as I look incredulously on and drives a ways until he pulls alongside a cabin, which was probably his first clue that he was going the wrong way. I shift in front of the car, he reverses and manages to get the car wedged between the cabin and a tree. I break the car then yank him out, partner hits me and they both run into the cabin. I put a trap by the driver's door again and they lead me on a jolly chase in and around the cabin. I manage to grab the other passenger and initiate a kill animation. The driver takes this opportunity to get in the car and start it, somehow not activating the trap I set. He drives off, not taking the road he came on but instead heading in a northwesterly direction driving on a loving footpath. He veers right, back onto the main road and towards the east exit again.

I morph again, but the inaccuracy of it puts me well off the road and a fence blocks me from shifting in front of him. Curses, my quarry has finally managed to escape, drat him!

But no. For some reason I really, really can't fathom, he veers off to the south on the same road AGAIN. I morph/shift in front of the car, break it, pull him out and treat him to a nice punching through the chest animation. Three other survivors left, none of them nearby. The 10 minute long car escape finally ended, and the remaining counselors weren't lucky enough to put together an alternate escape. I hunt each of them down.

7/7 kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
is this game playable yet?

• Locked thread