Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I will repeat what I said a while ago: I'll be happy if we get it before 2018. Christmas would be great. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a early next year release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm the one who was posting about it on this page and I'm not panicking, just posting my opinion on a gay dying comedy forum and people seem to be reacting really strongly and/or misinterpreting what I am saying :confused:

Me calmly stating my opinion that I don't expect the game this year /= "Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress everything is ruined and the sky is falling".

It's the third or fourth time someone has posted a calm but not-roses-and-sunshine opinion, and every time it gets responded to as if people are preaching the end of the world. Just ignore them, there is no point in trying to explain a dissenting opinion, it will bring out "SO YOU THINK THIS IS A SCAM, HUH?!" people regardless of how minor a thing you point out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Every crowd funded game is a scam, obviously.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Every crowd funded game is a scam, obviously.

Star Citizen broke kickstarter people imo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's too bad there are enough scams and/or projects that are just not able to deliver- Kickstarter has been a great platform for companies like HBS who consistently deliver a high quality result in a reasonable timeframe; but there are a lot of people who are leery of kickstarter because of the shitters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doesn't matter. The good ones end up funded. By good ones I mean people with experience doing what they say they will, a business plan, realistic goals etc. I've yet to see one I thought was cool not get funded. If anything there are way more pie in the sky ones that get it and flop.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Disclaimer before the pitchforks come out: I'm not an authority on the subject and could be VERY wrong. I may just have bad opinions.

Literally nobody freaked out at you, all I said was that it seemed (overly) pessimistic. I think you're being a touch sensitive about a reasonable, calmly stated disagreement.

Zaodai posted:

It's the third or fourth time someone has posted a calm but not-roses-and-sunshine opinion, and every time it gets responded to as if people are preaching the end of the world. Just ignore them, there is no point in trying to explain a dissenting opinion, it will bring out "SO YOU THINK THIS IS A SCAM, HUH?!" people regardless of how minor a thing you point out.

:jerkbag:

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 29, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'M CALM WHY AREN'T YOU CALM?!? - This thread, forever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Q_res posted:

Literally nobody freaked out at you, all I said was that it seemed (overly) pessimistic. I think you're being a touch sensitive about a reasonable, calmly stated disagreement.

Alchenar posted:

This is a lot of panicking over 'they aren't confident they can get the networking good to go right now'.
:shrug:

You're not wrong, Q_res, I may be over-reacting but I know these forums well enough that I felt a disclaimer was necessary. I feel like my response to your post explained my stance and wasnt overly reactionary. I'm going to drop it because it doesnt add anything to conversation at this point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q_res posted:

It works for everyone! :aaa:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So beta chat, during the Red Alert 3 beta it was still using Red Alert 2 voices, early art that sometimes explicitly contradicted the fiction (eg nuclear power plants when nuclear anything didn't exist anymore), basically no options, etc. Couple of months before release.

What I'm saying is, it'll be fine.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Beta would be amazing if they used MechCommander placeholder voices.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

And models. :yayclod:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Just put Rooster in the game, no explanation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

it's okay to just not reply to a post you don't think is directed at you, y'know. I read your post and did not assume Alechnar's applied to it. You do not have to defend yourself on all points. Take that 0.02 for what it's worth,but I think this post I quoted did more harm than just letting it go.

Zaodai posted:

it will bring out "SO YOU THINK THIS IS A SCAM, HUH?!" people regardless of how minor a thing you point out.

It's a little more of a nuanced issue than that, I think. There's also people who know development, think they know development, or don't care about development. All of those can shade responses. Personally, I'm not surprised they're running into problems, but I'd argue what matters is how they handle the problems. So far, I'm content. But then nuance has no place on the internet. you're 200% completely wrong, Urbanmechs at 10 hexes, tomorrow at 2d6 minutes past dawn!

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 29, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

it's okay to just not reply to a post you don't think is directed at you, y'know. I read your post and did not assume Alechnar's applied to it. You do not have to defend yourself on all points. Take that 0.02 for what it's worth,but I think this post I quoted did more harm than just letting it go.

It's a little more of a nuanced issue than that, I think. There's also people who know development, think they know development, or don't care about development. All of those can shade responses. Personally, I'm not surprised they're running into problems, but I'd argue what matters is how they handle the problems. So far, I'm content. But then nuance has no place on the internet. you're 200% completely wrong, Urbanmechs at 10 hexes, tomorrow at 2d6 minutes past dawn!

I'm not waking up that early, just come AC10 the barracks while I sleep.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

I'm not waking up that early, just come AC10 the barracks while I sleep.

uh excuse me I am not a member of Team Warcrimes, I am an honorable knight of the inner spherhahahaha sorry I can't even take that group seriously

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

uh excuse me I am not a member of Team Warcrimes, I am an honorable knight of the inner spherhahahaha sorry I can't even take that group seriously
Given it's June 2nd relaunch, now even more I wish for Brigador+Battletech.

Urbanmechs vs armed luggage carts. The fight of the century?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psion posted:

Yeah I was just generally commenting on how the thread had turned into people trying to out-bid each other on how long they thought the game would slip.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

its me im the calm one

3 days :fap:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I just backed this game because of this gif:

It's a bad decision, but I accept that.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Feindfeuer posted:

It's probably not a bad decision.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Looking forward to Thursday (even if I won't have much time to play until the weekend proper).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Feindfeuer posted:

I want to grow up to have your decision making skills.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone calling this game a scam has no idea what they're talking about.

Anyone freaking out about people calling this game a scam are only making themselves look like idiots.

HBS has shown a ton of progress, has been up front about their problems, and has consistently demonstrated a consistency of vision and refusal to expand scope or get more money. They are as far from a scam as Star Citizen is from a functional game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Feindfeuer posted:

It's a bad decision

is not :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

HBS has shipped 3(Three) isometric turn based games already. I'm confident in their ability to do it again, especially since they're staffed and run by people who are so crazy about Battletech that they made Battletech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They are as far from a scam as Star Citizen is from a functional game.

This is an excellent line :golfclap:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Even those of us who have expressed concerns are literally Hitler wouldn't call you backing this game a "bad decision". Especially if you based it off metal babby punching.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Even those of us who have expressed concerns are literally Hitler wouldn't call you backing this game a "bad decision". Especially if you based it off metal babby punching.

That Commando just gets loving rekt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/JennRavenna/status/868621377732976641/photo/1

How tall are these mechs?

e: ps. not meaning to be 'that guy', think the picture looks awesome.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Too tall. But that's a scale problem that's been happening with MWO and the MechWarrior 5 video that PGI is trying to make, too, so I'm not surprised it showed up here.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Hawk is loving ginormous.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Zaodai posted:

I backed a different mechwarrior game in the past, and i got hurt. But I just can't resist giant robots punching each other.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

I backed a different mechwarrior game in the past, and i got hurt. But I just can't resist giant robots punching each other.

Yeah, but these guys have actually made games that don't suck in the past.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, but these guys have actually made games that don't suck in the past.

Pretty much. Probably the "Worst" to expect outside of nitpicking mechanics people are or are not personally fond of, is that "Battletech was just Good, not Great".

And then the long wait for their sequel/expansion which will suddenly be twice as good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Section Z posted:

Pretty much. Probably the "Worst" to expect outside of nitpicking mechanics people are or are not personally fond of, is that "Battletech was just Good, not Great".

And then the long wait for their sequel/expansion which will suddenly be twice as good.

Which I think most of us would still as a good thing. Shadowrun Returns was rough around the edges but fun, then the next two games were significantly better. I doubt Battletech is going to be as rough as SR, but even if it is, as long as they work on a sequel that's even better, I'll take that trade.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Strobe posted:

Too tall. But that's a scale problem that's been happening with MWO and the MechWarrior 5 video that PGI is trying to make, too, so I'm not surprised it showed up here.

Looks like they are using the PGI scaling indeed, which is about 75% over. Canon Atlas is 11m IIRC, PGI's is 18m, and most mechs are similarly resized.

I don't hate that change TBH. Even with the size scaled up some of these mechs are ridiculously small given what's supposed to be in them, and the size of the cockpits etc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And then you get to things like Griffins or Battlemasters that suddenly have walk-in apartments for cockpits instead. I hate that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
An apartment for a cockpit is ideal for extended missions. Plus you can invite your girlfriend along!

Then you can have a cockpit in your cockpit! I'm so sorry