Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

RatHat posted:

I wonder how they'll nerf Queensguard. Losing 3 power(1 each) isn't enough but losing 6(2 each) might be too much. I guess maybe remove their Veteran ability? So they'd be the same strength in round 1, 3 less round 2, and 6 less round 3.
Does it need to be nerfed? It seems fairly easy to counter, especially by popular decks like the various NG and hybrid monster. Judging from streams it doesn't see much play at higher ranks either, SK is all Crach with Morkvarg.

I could be wrong but that's my impression after trying it for a while at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's easy to counter if you have specific cards, yeah. But some factions don't have a way to do that. And if you can't counter it then it's hilariously strong.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

So many people fall for the Operator/Priestess of Freya/Savage Bear trap. :allears:

Please explain

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Class Warcraft posted:

Please explain

If Savage Bear kills something as it's played the Deploy effect doesn't go off. So people try to play their free Priestess of Freya only for it to die and do absolutely nothing.

That's also why Savage Bear is great against Nilfguard.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

RatHat posted:

It's easy to counter if you have specific cards, yeah. But some factions don't have a way to do that. And if you can't counter it then it's hilariously strong.
Isn't that true of most strong decks right now, though?

e: or really any decent strat to be honest. Maybe preventing locked QGs from ressing would be a decent nerf because it actually involves counterplay.

Magical Zero fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 29, 2017

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I don't have many cards and I haven't been playing very long.

1. What are some high impact crafts that would be useful in many decks?
2. My gut is telling me that NR is the worst class. Would it be wrong to dust a bunch of NR to feed other class decks?
3. As much as I'm enjoying my low synergy NG deck in the kiddy pool area, at some point I need to build towards a meta deck. Where should I go for deck lists?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

2. My gut is telling me that NR is the worst class. Would it be wrong to dust a bunch of NR to feed other class decks?
3. As much as I'm enjoying my low synergy NG deck in the kiddy pool area, at some point I need to build towards a meta deck. Where should I go for deck lists?

1. Ragh Nar Roog is the de rigueur auto-include overpowered card right now but it might be a while before you're up to craft a legendary and it may get nerfed. Roach, Operator, Ocvist, Alzur's Double Cross, and the silver weather cards are all commonly useful neutral silvers, see if any of them jump out at you.
2. NR isn't very good right now but if the beta was any indication CDPR makes balance changes that are a lot harsher and more frequent than many other CCG devs, it might not be long before NR gets love/everyone else gets hate. It's a gamble basically.
3. GwentDB is the most popular

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

The Gorp posted:

I did it. I beat 4 Clear Skies in a single game.
Fun fact about this deck, you never get a Good Game bonus after the round.

is this a jojo reference

Also, game is great. I unpacked 7 leggos in like 75 packs, and most of them were core to Queensguard, which seems really strong. I also like playing a Morkvarg deck, but I don't have Olgierd so it's definitely got significant room for improvement.

Really really want to build a Letho deck with d-bomb, because apparently his effect isn't strengthening him, but boosting. Not sure if intended, but Letho is a cool fuckin' character and I want to play him in a deck.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

Ciri is the best "shove it in the deck regardless of what you doing and still works out" card. For silvers you have Roach, Myrgtabrakke, Skellige Storm, Dimeritium Bomb, Ocvist, that are all useful and can slot in very easy anywhere.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darke GBF posted:

Really really want to build a Letho deck with d-bomb, because apparently his effect isn't strengthening him, but boosting. Not sure if intended, but Letho is a cool fuckin' character and I want to play him in a deck.

Almost certainly a bug that will be fixed. As it is he's super insane and can singlehandedly counter a lot of deck types.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there any downside to sending a Good Game?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

precision posted:

Is there any downside to sending a Good Game?

You may be giving ore/scraps/dust to someone you hate, otherwise no

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That just makes it extra hilarious when I don't get one, then.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Always send good game.

Always.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do you still have to send it if your opponent spent 6 turns dragging out the win after you've already passed?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm okay with someone dropping the last card even though they've won without it. Do it myself sometimes, especially when there's poo poo still changing on the board. Six cards, gently caress 'em.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Do you still have to send it if your opponent spent 6 turns dragging out the win after you've already passed?

Eh, coming from a Magic background there's nothing in this game nearly as annoying as "take 6 extra turns I don't need just to waste your time.dek" Turns in this go so fast I don't even care.

Coming from Magic is also making me remember why I didn't play much Hearthstone though. Not being able to do anything on your opponents' turn is just maddening. On the plus side, it's a LOT easier to watch TV while you play :j:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Magical Zero posted:

Does it need to be nerfed? It seems fairly easy to counter, especially by popular decks like the various NG and hybrid monster. Judging from streams it doesn't see much play at higher ranks either, SK is all Crach with Morkvarg.

I could be wrong but that's my impression after trying it for a while at least.

I'm no pro player but I abandoned QG for Morkvarg/Crach just because it's much better against weather and it doesn't get completely hosed by things like Katakan or NG if you don't get your bears out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know whether it's just because me and all my opponents are terrible, but I'm having quite a few games where we go all out in the second round, then the third round is just a crapshoot as to who draws the better card.

It's not the most fun way to win/lose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Madness Elves a good budget deck?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know whether it's just because me and all my opponents are terrible, but I'm having quite a few games where we go all out in the second round, then the third round is just a crapshoot as to who draws the better card.

It's not the most fun way to win/lose.

A lot of strategies are made around the expectation that people will go all out on second round. And if someone is really good at deck thinning, they'll have a high probability of drawing a good card by third round.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Is Madness Elves a good budget deck?

Mulligan elves? It's not super good or anything but it's fun as heck to play in my experience.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Darke GBF posted:

Always send good game.

Always.

if somebody spams emotes they're not getting a gg :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you don't disable emotes it's your own fault

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

if somebody spams emotes they're not getting a gg :colbert:

"Gotta hand it to you - good work"

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Even the "well played" prompt of Dandelions, which I use before the game ends or when my opponent legitimately makes a good play, is so snide and sarcastic that I don't get a good game after I use it. Even if I immediately send a good game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The devs did end up toning down the Serrit artwork - here's the old one in case you were curious:

https://youtu.be/jIa288wnyrw?t=282

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 29, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
okay somebody explain this to me please:

I'm playing Weather Wild Frost, opponent deck doesn't matter. R1 I get two Wild Riders on the board, opponent pushes for 40ish points, I pass, he passes. I lose the round, Riders stay on for R2 (12 points).
R2, he does some stuff, I play a navigator into third rider. End of round, they buff, sitting at 7 7 7 + 3 = 24 on the board. Opponent passes, sitting on 24 himself.
So i'm thinking, we're both equal, but at the end of my round my riders buff, so I pass, expecting to be ahead by 3. Instead the round ends in a draw and I lose the match.

Card text on the riders says "Trio, Turn End: Boost self by 1." I'm extremely confused.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

botany posted:

okay somebody explain this to me please:

I'm playing Weather Wild Frost, opponent deck doesn't matter. R1 I get two Wild Riders on the board, opponent pushes for 40ish points, I pass, he passes. I lose the round, Riders stay on for R2 (12 points).
R2, he does some stuff, I play a navigator into third rider. End of round, they buff, sitting at 7 7 7 + 3 = 24 on the board. Opponent passes, sitting on 24 himself.
So i'm thinking, we're both equal, but at the end of my round my riders buff, so I pass, expecting to be ahead by 3. Instead the round ends in a draw and I lose the match.

Card text on the riders says "Trio, Turn End: Boost self by 1." I'm extremely confused.

The moment the second player passes the round immediately ends (the turn doesn't end, so end of turn abilities don't trigger). No idea if it's a bug or itīs working as intended though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think it has something to do with timing? Not sure though. I think maybe the round ends instead of the turn ending because both players have passed?

I honestly have no clue. The timing in this game requires figuring out for yourself, which I don't necessarily like. But i'm hoping it's just the beta experience and won't be like that long term.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Aviron posted:

The moment the second player passes the round immediately ends (the turn doesn't end, so end of turn abilities don't trigger). No idea if it's a bug or itīs working as intended though.

That's extremely counterintuitive, given that every round but the last works differently. I'm hoping that gets changed honestly.

While we're on the topic of things that should get changed: there is zero reason to darken the screen while my opponent is making decisions. Please let me at least see my cards so that I can instantly see what I just mulliganed.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ShowTime posted:

Even the "well played" prompt of Dandelions, which I use before the game ends or when my opponent legitimately makes a good play, is so snide and sarcastic that I don't get a good game after I use it. Even if I immediately send a good game.

I usually send it before the last card is played. I think I only don't get GGs from decks that I completely destroy (encountered a super salty monster weather this morning)

Also, I throw out a "Watch This!" before I concede.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Much like Ves premium boobs, CDPR spent countless work hours to make sure their emote system extracted only the finest salt from it's playerbase.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

botany posted:

That's extremely counterintuitive, given that every round but the last works differently. I'm hoping that gets changed honestly.

While we're on the topic of things that should get changed: there is zero reason to darken the screen while my opponent is making decisions. Please let me at least see my cards so that I can instantly see what I just mulliganed.
End of turn effects (like weather) never proc after the second player passes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

End of turn effects (like weather) never proc after the second player passes.

Weather is a start-of-turn effect.

edit: To make this clearer, if you have three riders on the board on turn one and both players pass, they buff themselves correctly. They do not buff themselves if the game looks at the board and goes "oh I guess this whole match is over now, no need to calculate end of round effects". This makes me think that end-of-round effects are coded in a weird way, where they get calculated at what is internally the start of the next round, but before the UI updates the game state to show that it's actually the next round.

botany fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 29, 2017

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
People who don't send GG are funny to me. They should just make it so it's a prisoners dilemma type thing where if you don't send it, you don't get the benefit either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't get care if someone loses and they don't send GG because I'm usually playing a deck with some cheese in it.

If somebody wins and doesn't GG I want to murder them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

botany posted:

Weather is a start-of-turn effect.

edit: To make this clearer, if you have three riders on the board on turn one and both players pass, they buff themselves correctly. They do not buff themselves if the game looks at the board and goes "oh I guess this whole match is over now, no need to calculate end of round effects". This makes me think that end-of-round effects are coded in a weird way, where they get calculated at what is internally the start of the next round, but before the UI updates the game state to show that it's actually the next round.
I misunderstood, and that is weird.

Right now there are only four cards in the game with end of turn effects - Wild Hunt Riders, Skjall, Priscilla, and Vabjorn. They're all (with the possible exception of WHR), as far as I can tell, terrible cards so maybe they'll get to removing end of turn effects from the game entirely when they rework them as start of opponent's turn is clearer and better.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I noticed I have a normal Geralt and a premium Geralt. You start with one of them in your collection, do you start with both? Or did I get one of them as a daily reward? The normal one is gon' get milled :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

I noticed I have a normal Geralt and a premium Geralt. You start with one of them in your collection, do you start with both? Or did I get one of them as a daily reward? The normal one is gon' get milled :chef:

Beta reward. You got it and a few other things for playing in the Closed Beta, or at least having a closed beta account.