Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't heard the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers myself but they're stupid ugly, huge, and have a 4" driver. If you must spend only $129.99 on a pair of speakers I bet they're a good choice but there's a reason I said $300 is a good place to start, you're just in a different product category once you get out of the bargain basement.

My bare minimum would probably be like the Wavecrest HVL-1, Aperion Intimus 5B, Q Acoustics 2020i or Ascend CBM-170. You just get a better value from direct sellers IMO unless something is on sale.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got the Pioneer ~Andrew Jones~ designed wifi speaker A4 or whatever it's called (now discontinued). The bass is way too loving loud and boomy and sounds like poo poo. I had to stuff a towel in the rear bass port to make it tolerable, but the mids and highs are also really muddy and bad. I have no idea who this loving andrew jones clown is but he can't design speakers for poo poo.

Never heard any of his passive speakers from pioneer though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Craigslist is great for getting cheap speakers.

There's always someone sellllong some cheap.

I got a pair of KEF K120 for like $150 in manhattan and a pair of arcam musos for $125 here in Chicago.

If you know what you're looking for you can get bargains

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 25, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JFairfax posted:

Craigslist is great for getting cheap speakers.

There's always someone sellllong some cheap.

I got a pair of KEF K120 for like $150 in manhattan and a pair of arcam musos for $125 here in Chicago.

If you know what you're looking for you can get bargains

Yeah, especially for tower speakers it can be great. There's also Audiogon which is where I'll probably go when I decide it's finally time for KEF LS50s. A lot of these dudes [let's face it, 99% of them are male] are constantly turning over their equipment.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and the good thing with speakers is that it's really easy to see whether or not they're in good condition, whereas with electronics it's not always obvious if there's a problem

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

metallicaeg posted:

If you wanted to up your budget then you can be like me and get big gently caress off 12" Cerwin Vega towers with the matching center and bookshelves. :yarg:

Back in high school in the 90's I managed to score a set of brand new Cerwin Vega Re-series speakers (I forget the exact model, but they had 12" woofers - Re-30 maybe?) from Best Buy for 1/4 price because they were open box and one of the grilles had the tiniest flaw in it. Those speakers were enormous and served me very well through college. I only got rid of them because they really didn't work well for surround sound setups because they were so much louder than everything else, 6-ohm, and I didn't want to try to track down matching surrounds for them. Plus with subwoofers being a thing I didn't really need such enormous speakers as my tastes went from listening to loud music to watching loud movies.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver for my vinyl/tape/cd, with Yamaha NS-6390 speakers.

However I acquired a Vector Research VR-7000 receiver.

Wondering if it would be worthwhile to swap them. Asking here first, because its going to be over a half hour of work moving poo poo around to do that.

I don't need the modern features like sound modeling, or modern connections that the Yamaha has, so its purely for sound quality. Amount of power isnt so much a factor either since I live in an apartment and cant crank it too loud anyways.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

shortspecialbus posted:

Back in high school in the 90's I managed to score a set of brand new Cerwin Vega Re-series speakers (I forget the exact model, but they had 12" woofers - Re-30 maybe?) from Best Buy for 1/4 price because they were open box and one of the grilles had the tiniest flaw in it. Those speakers were enormous and served me very well through college. I only got rid of them because they really didn't work well for surround sound setups because they were so much louder than everything else, 6-ohm, and I didn't want to try to track down matching surrounds for them. Plus with subwoofers being a thing I didn't really need such enormous speakers as my tastes went from listening to loud music to watching loud movies.

Got mine open box as well. I was selling electronics at Sears when I was in high school. Bought the towers and center channel that they used as their floor display/background noise speakers. Grabbed the bookshelves off eBay. Pretty sure mine are 8 Ohm though, I think they're V or VE series or something.

They sat, unused, in my parents basement until I bought a house, as my parents didn't want them being used, and my girl's apartment was hilariously tiny. Have the set paired with an 8-inch Aiwa sub that was from a crazy rear end sound system that I bought when I was like 14 with newspaper route money. I too watch loud movies, but even being a small sub it's more than adequate for living in a duplex.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I have a pair of the Jones BS22 pioneer speakers and they sound fine. Certainly better than any other $120 pair I've heard and better than a sound bar of the same price.

Suits my needs.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ChocNitty posted:

I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver for my vinyl/tape/cd, with Yamaha NS-6390 speakers.

However I acquired a Vector Research VR-7000 receiver.

Wondering if it would be worthwhile to swap them. Asking here first, because its going to be over a half hour of work moving poo poo around to do that.

I don't need the modern features like sound modeling, or modern connections that the Yamaha has, so its purely for sound quality. Amount of power isnt so much a factor either since I live in an apartment and cant crank it too loud anyways.

Try the quick audio questions megathread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259

If your question was about hi-end components, at least it would fit in this thread, but we'd just make fun of you.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I remember buying a pair of B&W DM302 speakers for ~$250 and them sounding crazy good, but that was probably 20 years ago.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RobotDogPolice posted:

What's considered "reasonable person quality"?

The most important is working out your own usage profile first. Do you actually sit down and listen to music or do you keep the radio on to keep you company? Do you watch movies with surround audio more than other uses combined?

As a generalist solution I'd send the person asking to a hi-fi shop. I'm partial to B&W, so a pair of 685/683/CM6/CM9 speakers with a Denon receiver would be decent enough starting point for me. Add a center channel or subwoofer next. Chromecast, turntable and phono amp, other stuff like that as needed. Maybe a good pair of headphones.

Then again, my mom has a Denon entry level amp with a pair of Argon speakers bought for €40. She keeps it on FM radio to keep her company during the day. Sounds good enough for that purpose. One size doesn't fit all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

synthetik posted:

I remember buying a pair of B&W DM302 speakers for ~$250 and them sounding crazy good, but that was probably 20 years ago.

Funny thing about physics... it hasn't changed much in the last billion years or so.
Those speakers probably still sound really good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Funny thing about physics... it hasn't changed much in the last billion years or so.

Materials, construction methods, branding, and quality controls do change much more quickly, though.

That isn't to imply that they don't sound good or not, but they may have changed any of those factors, which would affect the sound.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Most don't really care about audio quality, and speakers as amazingly good as the LSR305 can be made dirt cheap in some sweatshop in China.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was more thinking that they probably don't make that exact model anymore, since it was their 1997 line of speakers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

Just like 48kHz, the range of a 96kHz or 192kHz audio signal is still 24kHz. You're not gaining higher frequencies. What you're gaining is a higher resolution in the time domain.

Uhh

quote:

Remember that frequencies aren't just numbers, they represent analog signals. Toward the upper end of the range they aren't even recognizable anymore because you're getting only a couple of sampling points of the wave rather than a proper trace.

Uhhhhh

quote:

Well I wasn't going to throw my credentials around, but since you didn't know when to quit, I'm an electrical engineer you dumb cock.

:pseudo:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
...Yeah because this little thing called Nyquist's Sampling Theorem was just a suggestion that evaded any sort of scrutiny for only about 90 years until self-proclaimed EEs figured out how wrong it was by 2017.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Uhh

Uhhhhh

:pseudo:

i am engineer therefore i never wrong

sounds about right

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sound doesn't exist above 24kHz dummy. source: i won the spelling bee in 3rd grade.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
On a Norwegian HiFi forum I check very infrequently, a discussion about CDs vs streaming devolved into a discussion about the sound quality difference in spinning harddrives vs SSD drives.

I'm getting actual chest pains.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously spinning hard drives have better sound because they're closer in function to The Best Sounding Format Ever, The Vinyl LP.

SSDs are weird purely digital things with no moving parts, they make all your music sound like it was wrangled through a vocoder.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evobatman posted:

On a Norwegian HiFi forum I check very infrequently, a discussion about CDs vs streaming devolved into a discussion about the sound quality difference in spinning harddrives vs SSD drives.

I'm getting actual chest pains.

Some dude was trying to prove that lossless wasn't lossless so he took a WAV, converted it to FLAC and back to WAV and lo and behold the checksums were different! This proves the fallibility of 'lossless' compression!
the checksum difference was because of differing file names

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

qirex posted:

Some dude was trying to prove that lossless wasn't lossless so he took a WAV, converted it to FLAC and back to WAV and lo and behold the checksums were different! This proves the fallibility of 'lossless' compression!
the checksum difference was because of differing file names

I'm not saying he's correct about the file becoming lossy, but a filename change shouldn't affect a checksum. There could be some metadata injected into the file header by whatever conversion software he was using.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I'm not saying he's correct about the file becoming lossy, but a filename change shouldn't affect a checksum. There could be some metadata injected into the file header by whatever conversion software he was using.

WAV is also a container type vs the audio inside. Of course the data should be exactly the same if the both encoders outputted to LPCM. However, there are a number of settings on how a wav file is output that will lead to different md5sums even if both encodings were using LPCM. What I would not expect is for the data lined end to end with padding removed from each block to be different from the original.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a reason I stay the gently caress away from audiophile forums, it's mainly because I can't stand the loving idiocy. This thread is as close as I'll get and the various postings about your dealings with idiot audiophiles legit makes my eyes roll back in my head.

I avoid poo poo forums for my sanity.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a reason I stay the gently caress away from audiophile forums, it's mainly because I can't stand the loving idiocy. This thread is as close as I'll get and the various postings about your dealings with idiot audiophiles legit makes my eyes roll back in my head.

I avoid poo poo forums for my sanity.

On the subject of forums, the true believer meccas with placebophiles, Star Shitizen JPGers and buttcoin overlords make Intel/AMD/NV PC fanboyism and flashlight/knife hoarders seem harmless.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The thing I find funny about the audiophile media and communities is they'll put up with the most insane tweako garbage because those are the exact companies that advertise in the magazine or on their site. I mean look at 6moons:

Of course they're going to bias conversation towards this crap, it's how they make all their money.

[Side note I think I used to eat a brand of ramen called "Bakoon"]

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Somebody should start shilling white van speakers on a bunch of audiophile sites just to see what happens.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a roommate once who bought white van speakers. It was a 5.1 system with the receiver in the subwoofer box, similar to what you would see on a set of computer surround speakers.

He came home from the bank really excited that he'd found an awesome deal. These dudes stopped him on his way back to the car after doing some business at a bank. They said "we just got finished doing an install at a house in this neighborhood and there was some extra equipment on the order. Our boss is just going to take these for himself when we get back to the shop, so how about we sell 'em to you real cheap?" My roommate asks how much and they throw out $700. They had a copy of Home Theater Buyers Guide magazine and flipped to a page that had an ad for this exact speaker system and the text "MSRP: $2400." He's convinced he's getting a good deal. He talks them down to $500. They even throw in the magazine.

He gets home and he's like "help me hook up this new system!!!" And tells me the story all excited. Immediately I jump on the internet to look at some reviews and can only find one page about these speakers anywhere. It's an ebay auction with a Buy it Now of $50 with more than 100 units available.

I showed it to him and he cried.

He also sold Herbalife for a while, gave his social security number to a cold-calling credit counselor telemarketer who also charged him $450 to fix his credit. What he actually got was a book with credit card company addresses that you're supposed to write to and ask for debt negotiation. Oh and his identity stolen by the seller. Now he sells magnetic pain relieving bracelets at metaphysical fairs and poo poo. Also he's a dirty pedophile.

After I showed him that the speakers were poo poo they just stayed in the box for months. I ended up using them in my bedroom because they weren't horrible. The outer casing of the speakers were plastic made to look like metal but the bottoms were actually pretty thick metal, presumably so they would have some weight to them and feel premium. Unfortunately after a couple days of hanging on my wall the glue holding one of the metal weights on the bottom of the left rear speaker gave up in the middle of the night, the metal weight hitting me in the head and waking me up.

I guess what I'm saying here is don't buy white van speakers.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

A pretty good indicator of white van stuff besides all of the obvious parking lot red flags is that the box won't have any official logos for HDMI, Dolby, etc. It will just say some bullshit like "HD Surround Sound". I see them still in box at thrift stores from time to time, and the staff is usually unaware of the real value themselves and will price them at $100-200 because they don't know better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I actually saw a couple of guys trying to sell speakers out of the back of a minivan a couple days ago in the parking lot of my local grocery store. I came out of the store after doing grocery shopping and they were boxed in by a couple of police cars.

I should note that this particular grocery store was a block away from a police station. Dumbasses. Funny dumbasses to be sure, but dumbasses.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Also he's a dirty pedophile.

are you looking for a different thread, or perhaps a federal form field?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Might just post it here to get it ripped apart... So about that Soundblaster AE-5 card, it's boasting an ostensibly super high quality ESS Sabre DAC and separate amps for left and right headphone channels, which to very first tests apparently results in zero stereo crosstalk.

Is crosstalk at levels of -80dB even noticeable?

Also why does that card have almost no caps, whereas the previous high-end model is littered with them? I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, given the performance of the iPhone 7 audio dongle.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is crosstalk at levels of -80dB even noticeable?

If you're have super well isolated headphones and everything is hard panned to one side you'd hear a little signal in the other side. But in normal listening, no way.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'll take Creative's claims with a big grain of salt. They most likely just parroted the chip specs done in perfect lab conditions done by ESS when the rest of their own circuit performs nowhere as good.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Hmm. I might get one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
An optical output to an external DAC/receiver/amp is probably the cleanest PC output you will get. USB is probably similar, assuming you don't have a common mode noise problem :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Palladium posted:

I'll take Creative's claims with a big grain of salt. They most likely just parroted the chip specs done in perfect lab conditions done by ESS when the rest of their own circuit performs nowhere as good.
Someone had an early sample and did some simple tests, and the results looked interesting. As said before, no crosstalk, and ostensibly the frequency response is as near to a flat line as can be (no dips at the low end and nearly nothing at the high end). Still gotta wait for proper RMAA results whenever that card gets sent to reviews in larger numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

are you looking for a different thread, or perhaps a federal form field?

It's just good to have some background to round out a character.