Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Well also the idea is to absolve yourself of culpability rather than incriminate yourself, especially if you're a real piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

papa_november posted:

What gets me here is how neither AFF nor those who were around him seem to feel much responsibility towards their actions. AFF went after someone who (as it turned out) was severely mentally ill and basically became the straw that broke the camel's back. Not exactly murder, but most normal people would still feel pretty hosed-up by this. AFF and whoever's left to defend him, on the other hand, just sort of believe themselves to be above responsibility and have this messed up detached attitude about it.
It's no less ugly than what KiwiFarms does, only the FYAD kids were supposedly cooler since they were better at it and pretended much, much harder not to care.

I'm pretty sure AFF's immediate reactions were more along the lines of "No way wtf". I don't think they knew he was legit mentally ill while they were loving with him. AFF adopted the mantle of FYAD murderer after it but it's kind of a laughing at the absurdity of the situation thing, I don't think he actually delights in possibly being part of some dude killing himself over what was pretty standard but well planned internet trolling

Here's the reaction thread from FYAD although I don't feel like rereading it right now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3048997&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2017

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

papa_november posted:

What gets me here is how neither AFF nor those who were around him seem to feel much responsibility towards their actions. AFF went after someone who (as it turned out) was severely mentally ill and basically became the straw that broke the camel's back. Not exactly murder, but most normal people would still feel pretty hosed-up by this. AFF and whoever's left to defend him, on the other hand, just sort of believe themselves to be above responsibility and have this messed up detached attitude about it.
It's no less ugly than what KiwiFarms does, only the FYAD kids were supposedly cooler since they were better at it and pretended much, much harder not to care.

God drat this post is terrible

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
the flags are great, actually they say more about FYAD than the emptyquotes do

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok I actually did read a few pages and it's AFF making fun of it cause he doesn't think it's real, than being like wtf, then making a joke, then saying he feels bad, and then the rest is jokes

I think Docevil comes in at some point to be like uhhhhh this is actually kind of hosed up if we caused this but eventually even he starts laughing about it

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Here is something Lowtax said that is still true to this day

People who "don't get" FYAD are the ones who should stay out and stop from posting dictionary definitions of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kak posted:

Here is something Lowtax said that is still true to this day

People who "don't get" FYAD are the ones who should stay out and stop from posting dictionary definitions of it.

I don't think Lowtax really gets FYAD at this point tho

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You get FYAD whether you like it or not, whether you understand it is another matter

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's some weird wikipedia based forum talking about it to for the 1 or 2 people who could possibly be interested in that

http://pages.citebite.com/n2j0v1h8l1jak

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
FYAD is a pretty bouquet of flowers, which smell very bad.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
The reason a lot of people post like FYAD rejects is because we've always been told that FYAD is the only funny forum - they are untouchable in their comedic genius and the rest of us are humorless peons in the face of their greatness - so when GBS changed over and people tried being funny again, they of course tried to copy FYAD's style since they've always been told that is what is objectively funny, but they failed because they didn't really get why FYAD was funny or weren't funny enough themselves to pull it off.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ok I actually did read a few pages and it's AFF making fun of it cause he doesn't think it's real, than being like wtf, then making a joke, then saying he feels bad, and then the rest is jokes

I think Docevil comes in at some point to be like uhhhhh this is actually kind of hosed up if we caused this but eventually even he starts laughing about it

Anne Frank Fanfiction and the rest of the Order of the Malignant Nerds crew (not including Docevil) took it too far. Cyberstalking and harassment of what they call a vulnerable population in society is a criminal act.

That's some shallow remorse

i like that fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
cyberbullying: serious business

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

i like that posted:

Anne Frank Fanfiction and the rest of the Order of the Malignant Nerds crew (not including Docevil) took it too far. Cyberstalking and harassment of what they call a vulnerable population in society is a criminal act.

How could they have known he was so close to the edge that some dumb wikipedia trolling might add to his decision to kill himself? Who in the world could've possibly called that??

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They probably shouldn't have used his real name but wasn't it him that made it known in the first place, either on purpose or linking to his own profile somewhere? I dont think fyad doxxed him. Otherwise it would've just been really spot on trolling that was pretty funny

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
anne frank fanfic posted:
k email sent

Hello Mr. Schram, or should I say, Sham? I've read your article, http://www.komonews.com/opinion/ken.../21565089.html, time and time again, each time growing increasingly agitated and saddened by the mess you've left. Do you realize your pathetic attempt at black humor and fifteen minutes of fame in Washington caused the death of one of my best friends? Yes, your story, a two-bit attack article poking hurtful fun at an otherwise caring and loving kid named Clay Olney for trying to end racism and offensiveness in today's world didn't just have the effect of increasing your wrongly-gained fame, but also of ridiculing a special education student into committing suicide. This is his obituary (http://www.issaquahpress.com/2009/0...on-taylor-olney), he killed himself just a few weeks after you unprovocatively attacked his character. His personality, otherwise marred by Asperger's syndrome, was torn down as being overly sensitive and politically correct, when really he was just fighting for the rights of those who get stepped on the most. His visage was kind yet you painted him as a devilish His life was fragile yet you tore him down in front of the state for peanuts. This time however, the shells left on the ground were from pistol he tried to kill himself with. Fortunately he failed so there was an open-casket funeral for his loved ones, but the noose which you gave him as a mock-gift was exactly the catalyst needed for a young emotionally troubled man to get the idea of hanging himself.

Clayton wanted to be the hero, the man sticking up for the little guy. His personality and skills led him to fight this fight mostly with his father against local businesses and on the internet, Wikipedia in particular, but fought it he did. Of course, after this tasteless article attacking Clayton his Wikipedia friends mocked him and he ended up being banned from his home away from home on the internet. As you can see this article turned out to be a bullet which entered through Clay's real life friends and left an exit wound in his internet hideaway. With nowhere to turn, he ended up killing himself. His computer still had your article up on it, and a hastily scribbled note to his family which I will not describe here. Yes I was one of the first to find him and had to explain to his crying mother that this wasn't suicide, it was a homocide from an old man with nothing better to do then to destroy fragile kids, their lives, and their dreams. Shame on you Mr. Schram, I find you despicable and I'm glad I finally had the courage to send this letter that I wrote over 1 year ago.

Your biggest enemy forever and always,
Jay Deucer
Sammamish, Washington

P.S. I tried to send a snail mail letter but I sob too much when writing it, destroying the paper. Now you owe me a new keyboard, and a new friend. I seriously hate you.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
FYAD has saved more lives than it's taken

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

cyberbullying: serious business

tyler-the-creator.png

HoAssHo posted:

How could they have known he was so close to the edge that some dumb wikipedia trolling might add to his decision to kill himself? Who in the world could've possibly called that??

Mods knew

Mods ALWAYS know :tinfoil:

Wizard Master posted:

FYAD has saved more lives than it's taken

Wasn't it actually that this was a :master: concern troll and the person in question was not in any real danger of committing suicide

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there a fyad who sucked on a shotgun because going FTM didn't fix the sadbrains

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
Looking forward to seeing this thread in FYAD :tipshat:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

goons: this subforum is really bad because of this one singular thing that some people (most of whom don't post here anymore) did almost a decade ago, maybe, as far as our limited reading capabilities can tell us

rational

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

guys guys the mean people said some mean things to a wikipedia editor during bush's loving presidency, why isn't someone taking action here?!!?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

general anime posted:

Looking forward to seeing this thread in FYAD :tipshat:

Good point. Voting 1. :tipshat:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's some good fyad posts

Duncan

quote:

its really amazing how the actions of goons and mods are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe.

proposal: i am going to make an environmentally sustainable yoga retreat in hawaii

reality: a y2k survivalist paid goons a “food stipend” to help me clearcut a rainforest, dig a road by hand, torture and mutilate animals to death on camera, and bathe in/drink from an improperly filtered kiddy pool that wild hogs poo poo and pissed in

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that kills children, entirely by accident

proposal: a fad diet thread in the exercise forum

reality: a mentally ill man resembling a melted candle, the pied piper of ham joints, told people that eating nothing but eggs and bacon and lard in paint buckets (they were literally buying and eating buckets full of lard in the name of good health) would not only make them lose weight, but was so healthy it would cure heart disease and cancer. an enormous fat powerlifter who cant run for 20 seconds probated and banned anyone who challenged this wisdom until it lead to a man barely in his 20s being prescribed statins.

proposal: a thread about animal husbandry in the pet forum

reality: a moderator unrepentantly killed animals with ac/dc hadoukens and probated people who asked questions

proposal: a forum for “responsible drug users” and “harm reduction”

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried lsd”

quote:

INT. DANK TORTURE BASEMENT – NIGHT
The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wayne Gretzky

quote:

HAMBURGER consists of ten layers of interspersed foods
This description should be concise and serious. It should inform potential buyers about the value of the product. HAMBURGER consists of ten layers of interspersed foods. Of that, at least, we can be sure. Ketchup and mustard fight on the meat. Special sauce clings to the bun. Lettuce and pickles lie. It explores flavours. Or not. Place it in your mouth or on a dirty table. It is a collection of foods describing itself and possibly other things, like for example it is a metaphor for a different food. It will one day decay into slime along with everything else, including your dad [a sentence describing the decomposition of your dad soothes you, promises you profundity]. Created in an industrial kitchen by a teen on weed. Released into the wild circa 2012. The description continues…

quote:

Black Friday Horror
I formed an impromptu cadre with some of the others who were among the rearguard at the battle for lovely Towels. We threw a VCR as a distraction and headed back through an empty aisle. A man in a watch cap swung a length of uprooted rebar into the wall, tearing out a ragged hunk of Walmart flesh. We recoiled in horror as he wailed beneath the smoking effluent that squeezed forth from the wound.

A woman named Susan started screaming. A 12 year old child with Spider Mans in each hand dropped one and slapped her. The child ran off. We never saw him again. Darius turned, his eyes scanning the eerily quiet corner of the store. “There”, he said, pointing to the relative calmness of the pharmacy aisle. “Are you going to be able to handle this?” I asked Hector, who had thrown up on himself, while pointing to the bubbling, screaming man in the watch cap. Hector nodded, barfily.

quote:

Guy Fieri’s Rock-N-Roll Sushi BBQ
Seven Hamurai Roll $8.99

Sea weeds wrapped around five chicken nuggetz inside a Soy Sauce Toaster Struedle marinated in honey mayo, mayo, spice mayo, mayo mayo and hairs from a brave dog that got shot by the pig police for trying to bite president obama to stop letting gay people get in the army.

Lumberjack Snack $113.95

Guy Fieri’s signature snack dish! Doritos, whip cream, caramel, and root beer injected into a Hot Pocket drained and stuffed with the signature ingredients. This slow cooked, oven roasted delight comes with a TAPOUT T-shirt, with Quenten Rampayge Jacksen’s autograph on the back.

Let The Sushis Hit Your Mouth $13.45

One: nothing wrong with rice. Two: nothing wrong with hot dogs. Three: nothing wrong with spaghetti noodles. Four: nothing wrong with Rock Star Energy Drink Glaze and then it gets fried and served inside a miniature custom Jesse James Hogster Chopper driven to your table by a real life Midget with a tattoo of a loving Eagle on his hosed up midget neck

quote:

its me, fatlord
oh hey internet its me, fatlord. can i please buy four pounds of weed so i never have to go outside. i will fling the money out the window at 4:06 pm. please heave the weed at me. i’ll be the one in the window thinking gay poo poo about stupid crap.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I cannot vote 1 any harder that I am now.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
they're cold blooded killers

-day crew

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this thread is beyond pathetic. move to fyad and chain probe everyone ITT

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

counterpoint: who gives a poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3821508

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Aesop Poprock posted:

Here's some weird wikipedia based forum talking about it to for the 1 or 2 people who could possibly be interested in that

http://pages.citebite.com/n2j0v1h8l1jak

Finding out about the existence of Wikipedia offsites almost redeems this terrible thead, hachi machi

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Finding out about the existence of Wikipedia offsites almost redeems this terrible thead, hachi machi

How have you just now encountered Wikipedia offsites

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

bradzilla posted:

How have you just now encountered Wikipedia offsites

I am online like all the time usually and i had never heard of them. I mean I'm not surprised at all, I just...huh. Actually seeing it, y'know?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
However you or I die, whether at our own hands or at the hands of fate, odds are it will not be nearly as entertaining or as poignant as a Wikipedia editor driven to suicide over the sanctity of Weedpunk.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lmao the last post on that wiki offsite thread is someone falling for a barnacle Jim troll

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am a manga writer although the job has not proved profitable yet. Luckily, I am a student as well so I have an excuse! I enjoy watching and discussing too many animes to name, hence my username, however I try to limit my anime time on Wikipedia in order to expand my horizons. I have lived all over Germany, the United States, Belgium, France, England, Italy and would one day like to visit Japan. Yes I do have my own place, a university dorm. If you want to know more, just ask me, but just like the rest of you I am afraid of internet stalkers and probably will not answer too much.

Eventually, I hope to be a stand up comedian and live in Los Angeles. I do great impressions, especially of cartoons! Goofy is my favorite, gorsh!

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

papa_november posted:

What gets me here is how neither AFF nor those who were around him seem to feel much responsibility towards their actions. AFF went after someone who (as it turned out) was severely mentally ill and basically became the straw that broke the camel's back.

But AFF (who I believe displayed the appropriate amount of grief for a goon killing themselves over their wikipedia privileges) wasn't going after the mentally ill guy, the mentally ill guy was going after AFF, trying to expose his identity and get his wikipedia editing privileges revoked, as revenge for having been kicked out of fyad for being the wrong kind of mentally ill. That's how much his life revolved around editing wikipedia. However, using a sockpuppet account to out other users is a much more severe wikipedia infraction than occasional vandalism, and the inquiry into his accusations would have inevitably led to a loss of his own editing privileges and barnstars, whch is what ultimately led to his suicide. It was actually the harsh wheels of Wikipedia justice that not-exactly-murdered a mentally ill guy, and Cumulus Clouds was far from their first victim, as many ex-Wikipedians can attest. If he had simply used his own account while disclosing that he was an ex-mod of fyad, or had at least posted anonymously from a public IP, tragedy would have been avoided.

In any case it worked, AFF's Wikipedia account was blocked despite having been used for many constructive edits, and AFF was thereby consigned to the very fate that Cumulus Clouds himself considered worse than death. Hoist by his own petard, Cumulus Clouds became Wikipedias first suicide doxxer.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 28, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
woa

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ps. I finally found an answer to the op:

Grandmother of Five posted:

2016 fyad: hitler is sooo good. i love him. this much *holds up arms really far apart*
2016 gbs/lf communist style guy who did a suicide and left behind a giftcard for a gender studies class: :stare:

fyad 1939: the jews, handicapped and gays seem good to me.Poland is a soverign country. all things considered the treaty of versaille was generally fair
gbs wermacht guy: :stare:

so its a good forums barometer, and when they can epic troll by making statements like "racism is bad" or "I'm a girl" that means things are all hosed up

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

i like that posted:

You're insanely gay take on people's interactions on the internet suggest you think that what you do on the internet is equal to or more valuable than their lives outside of online interactions, and that is fundamentally flawed, weird, and used to get you banned from this website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like the world changed and a lot of people grew up.

• Locked thread