Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Albuquerque is actually surprisingly cool, due to the elevation. It's still hot compared to northern climes but it tends to top out around 90 or 95 in the summer, it's no Vegas.

It's still hot enough that it's weird how everyone in the BB universe is always wearing jackets.

Also it's a dry heat. I'd take a dry 100 over a muggy 85 any day.

People adapt to the temperature they live in. You see people from Minnesota wearing shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 out and Florida people would have their winter jackets out. I don't get a jacket in 95º either but I've never lived there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean people in San Diego put on a heavy jacket when it dips below 80.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah I mean people in San Diego put on a heavy jacket when it dips below 80.

As a Midwesterner living in San Diego, this is still amusing to me. Below 70 is cold, above 80 is hot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I grew up on the coast of Florida so to me anything less than "95 with 99% humidity" is "a bit nippy" :v:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

L_Harrison posted:

You could see Saul and his camera crew's misting breaths when they were in the car outside the music shop. They must film during winter.

yeah, I'm pretty sure I heard on one of the podcasts that they filmed in winter all through BB too. It's bright and clear out but 48 degrees....hence "the coats"

also, parkas come out here in Norcal if it drops below 68 degrees. I grew up here but still wear shorts for golfing in winter >50 degrees though, but with long sleeves/warm top.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Don Eladio pool scene was filmed in the winter.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Manic X posted:

Considering the style of drama this is; I really hate that it takes a year to release a new season. I have worked in tv and film environments and this is really quick and easy stuff. Must just be a PR thing.

So many aspects of this ring as buillshit. :iiam:

You've worked in TV but consider any aspect of BCS quick and easy stuff? You've worked in TV but didn't know that yearly seasons were the norm the whole world round with the exception of factual, soaps etc?

Get the gently caress out dude.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I've worked in non fiction stuff, its a staggering amount of work. I can't imagine what its like on a 1 hour scripted drama.

Then I think about 24 episode sitcom seasons and its no wonder Dan Harmon is insane

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

Also it's a dry heat. I'd take a dry 100 over a muggy 85 any day.

People adapt to the temperature they live in. You see people from Minnesota wearing shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 out and Florida people would have their winter jackets out. I don't get a jacket in 95º either but I've never lived there.

Yep. I'm from Wisconsin and I break out the shorts when it's in the 50s outside. When it gets in the 80s and 90s here I'm rather uncomfortable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zoben posted:

Yep. I'm from Wisconsin and I break out the shorts when it's in the 50s outside. When it gets in the 80s and 90s here I'm rather uncomfortable.

I'm from west Texas, far enough west that I'm about as close as you can get to ABQ while still being physically in Texas, but I moved to Ontario for a while. One of my most enduring memories is walking outside in shorts and a t-shirt after my first canadian winter, sometime in late April, and being shocked that the just-above-freezing weather felt physically warm on my skin. It's crazy how quickly people adapt. Especially since we spend most of our time in climate-controlled buildings anyway.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

hiddenmovement posted:

I've worked in non fiction stuff, its a staggering amount of work. I can't imagine what its like on a 1 hour scripted drama.

Then I think about 24 episode sitcom seasons and its no wonder Dan Harmon is insane

Look, if WWE can crank out 6 hours of live scripted tv every week, alongside another couple of hours of TV from monthly tapings and two monthly live 3-4 hour PPV events then I don't think it would be too much to ask for the BCS crew to work a bit faster. :colbert:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm okay with the amount of BCS we get. Shows get awful when there are more episodes than material.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MrBling posted:

Look, if WWE can crank out 6 hours of live scripted tv every week, alongside another couple of hours of TV from monthly tapings and two monthly live 3-4 hour PPV events then I don't think it would be too much to ask for the BCS crew to work a bit faster. :colbert:

Maybe if WWE held themselves to one hour a week it would be way more entertaining :colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

You've worked in TV but consider any aspect of BCS quick and easy stuff? You've worked in TV but didn't know that yearly seasons were the norm the whole world round with the exception of factual, soaps etc?

Whaddya mean? There's no green screen or motion capture like in Game of Thrones or Westworld, that means post-production only takes an afternoon!

I work in film, and lemme tell ya: The Godfather? They could have made that in a week if they really cared.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ernie is an entirely CGI character based on Andy Serkis movement

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They made the Daily Show every day for like a hundred years

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bobby Digital posted:

As a Midwesterner living in San Diego, this is still amusing to me. Below 70 is cold, above 80 is hot.

Albertan here. In Fahrenheit, below 50 is cool and above 60 is too drat hot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think they've always filmed over winter in order to be able to air all the episodes in summer. Several of the BB podcasts talked about actors filming scenes that were supposed to take place in the summertime but it was actually 20 F out. They'd do a take then run off camera and throw a coat on.

Sometimes the opposite happens, I think they mentioned that when Mike hides in the refrigerated Los Pollos truck it wasn't actually cold so he was sweating it out in all that gear.

And as a Texan anything below 90F is a cool spring day to me.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

PriorMarcus posted:

I know that yearly series are the norm fucktard; I am merely saying I wish it was not the case; and yes, the filming of these kinds of dramas take about 3 months, then editing another 3 or 4 months. I think you completely missed the point of my comment.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Two 8 episode half-seasons instead of one 10 episode run every year would've made the pacing more tolerable for this particular show

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Manic X posted:

I know that yearly series are the norm fucktard; I am merely saying I wish it was not the case; and yes, the filming of these kinds of dramas take about 3 months, then editing another 3 or 4 months. I think you completely missed the point of my comment.

You said it must be a PR thing which certainly seems to imply that you think they could release it a lot faster but choose not to. Also the bit about it being quick and easy. So pretty much your whole post. The guy you're quoting wasn't the only one who "missed the point" so maybe you weren't making it very well or maybe you're just backpeddling

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 29, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

vermin posted:

For a second I thought the sheriff from Gremlins was the sheriff in Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Probably because it occupies the same nostalgic cinematic headspace.

That is my Gremlins police department story.

My grandfather was the security guard who gets killed with pies.

This is my Killer Klowns story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spellman posted:

Two 8 episode half-seasons instead of one 10 episode run every year would've made the pacing more tolerable for this particular show

Isn't that how it used to be? I remember when I was a kid, there would be one half in the fall, and one half in the spring. Everything had at least 20 episodes a season. Now everything runs for 8-13 episodes over a few months until the next year.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Better Call Saul should be live/daily/completely improvised

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe an AMC show will get suspended in the fall and we will have an emergency quickly shot run of Better Call Saul episodes to make up for it

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Neon Noodle posted:

My grandfather was the security guard who gets killed with pies.

This is my Killer Klowns story.

At least he was spared the cotton candy cocoon!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm still enjoying the series but I have to say I don't think it's managed to top the fun of the Kettleman plotline in the first season.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't believe people are criticizing Jimmy for getting Chuck's policy hit when the real villain is the insurance lady. Why is no-one talking about this ruthless monster?!

Realtalk: I find it hilarious that the oblivious pharmaceutical guy keeps coming back. Figured he was done after his first appearance/arc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm still enjoying the series but I have to say I don't think it's managed to top the fun of the Kettleman plotline in the first season.

But that's the arc of the entire show, isn't it? To go from light and fun to dark as loving hell.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
But Saul in BB managed to be a source of fun shenanigans. IMO it should be about a veneer of humourous hijinks hiding a dark underbelly. At the moment it's all underbelly.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I can't believe people are criticizing Jimmy for getting Chuck's policy hit when the real villain is the insurance lady. Why is no-one talking about this ruthless monster?!

Realtalk: I find it hilarious that the oblivious pharmaceutical guy keeps coming back. Figured he was done after his first appearance/arc.

One of the best parts of this show (and BB) is Gilligan & co's ability to bring back characters from minor side plots in earlier seasons and make them relevant in the main plot.

I'm looking forward to finding out how Pryce develops what isn't technically a hearing problem, but sometimes when there's a lot of noises going on at the same time, he hears them as one big jumble.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 29, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

One of the best parts of this show (and BB) is Gilligan & co's ability to bring back characters from minor side plots in earlier seasons and make them relevant in the main plot.

Speaking of their ability to strip mine the past for relevant details, I just started rewatching BB and noticed this:

From Breaking Bad S02E02 "Grilled" (Same episode and scene where they mention Tuco killing the biker):

From Better Call Saul S03E06 "Off Brand":

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ha, that's great.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manic X posted:

Your point's dumb, I highly doubt that doubling the yearly content of this show would lead to anything other than a sharp drop in quality.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
guys my uncle is vince gilligan and he told me they could make new episodes every week SNL style if it wasn't for those drat unions

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's no new episode and I just found out there's 3 more episodes to go.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Speaking of their ability to strip mine the past for relevant details, I just started rewatching BB and noticed this:

From Breaking Bad S02E02 "Grilled" (Same episode and scene where they mention Tuco killing the biker):

From Better Call Saul S03E06 "Off Brand":

Huh, if it happened in prison you'd think they'd be more than "pretty sure."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Huh, if it happened in prison you'd think they'd be more than "pretty sure."

From the surrounding dialogue in the BCS scene, it seemed like Tuco stabbed the guy, but it was punching a prison guard in the ensuing chaos that got him thrown in solitary. If there was no evidence (like if he had an accomplice to dispose of the shiv for him) or other prisoners that were willing to testify against Tuco, I could see the charges not sticking. Then again, my knowledge of prison is based entirely on other TV shows and movies.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there not a new episode today? If not, why? I'm about to dust off my pitchfork

Edit: Memorial Day. Damnit. Like true BCS fans couldn't find time the hour to watch. Sumabitch.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarksMan posted:

Is there not a new episode today? If not, why? I'm about to dust off my pitchforck
Nope. Memorial Day, I guess.

• Locked thread