Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I feel like Bianca should have been a character who was built up before this episode. Just having Chloe say "this is a really bad person we've been trying to make a case against for ages" feels like the writers skipping a few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I feel like Bianca should have been a character who was built up before this episode. Just having Chloe say "this is a really bad person we've been trying to make a case against for ages" feels like the writers skipping a few chapters.

Agreed. But I wonder if that has more to do with these episodes essentially being previews for Season 3. I'd love to have Bianca be the villain this fall.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tiggum posted:

While definitely a fair criticism, the series overall hasn't really bothered that much with the police procedural aspect as anything more than a vehicle for the zany Lucy shenanigans. Some of the earlier cases haven't really made much sense either.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Soooo per Ausiello's latest column, seems like next week's ep is gonna be a doozy:

quote:

Question: I’m obsessed with Lucifer! What can you tease about the finale next week? —Maria

Ausiello: As hinted previously, “The Good, the Bad and the Crispy” “is where everything comes to a head,” says co-showrunner Joe Henderson. “Lucifer finally answers the question of, ‘What do you do with a problem called Mom?’ and it’s the biggest episode we’ve ever done. It’s also our most special effects[-heavy] episode ever. We made a very big episode and somehow we were able to pull it off, so it’s explosive, but most importantly, and very important to me, it wraps up the Season 2 storyline and then ends on a cliffhanger that sets up what Season 3 is going to be.” And as that happens, “You’re going to have people throwing stuff at the TV when it ends,” Henderson warns. “But throw soft stuff, stuff that’ll bounce.”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm gonna throw a cinder block at my TV and then put my foot through the bay window.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that the season finale is airing tonight.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
why would I want to throw things that was awesome

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They went with a significantly more nuanced solution to the Mom situation than I expected.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well that was certainly... something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Throwing the bits of the sword in with the portal to Mom's Universe: a way of getting rid of them, or setting up the potential for Mom's eventual return when she cuts another hole using it?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Throwing the bits of the sword in with the portal to Mom's Universe: a way of getting rid of them, or setting up the potential for Mom's eventual return when she cuts another hole using it?

Didn't he keep Amenadiel's piece?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rappaport posted:

Didn't he keep Amenadiel's piece?

Well I'll be damned. Someone has already uploaded the requistie scene to Youtube and it seems like you're correct.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Anyone else wondering whether his wings would have reappeared on their own, or if it was specifically being honest with Chloe that brought them back? Or maybe since he was a Good Devil and got rid of Mom?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Lucifer has outstanding taste in Icecream

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Astrofig posted:

Anyone else wondering whether his wings would have reappeared on their own, or if it was specifically being honest with Chloe that brought them back? Or maybe since he was a Good Devil and got rid of Mom?

I was assuming it was something he did, it's just muddled by a random mugger possibly getting ~*~mysterious ways-ed~*~ into existence to bonk him on the head after he leaves the message. Which will presumably be explained in the fall. :shrug:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
WHAT THE gently caress

Give me the next season right now :negative:

edit: wait what, is this actually a DC comics show? i googled to find out when season 3 is and i found a article talking vaguely about how Lucifer is set in the DC universe and is a DC character
edit2: huh, it is, i had no idea. well, i hope Barry Allen never makes it here

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 30, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dongattack posted:

It's on FOX, you'd have been more likely to get a sleepy hollow crossover

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

It's on FOX, you'd have been more likely to get a sleepy hollow crossover

Crane and Lucifer meeting would actually be pretty funny. But that show finally got cancelled.

Loved the season finale. Very relieved that they didn't kill the doc off, would of been a mistake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I did not expect Charlotte Richards to come back. That's an interesting way to keep Tricia Helfer on the show...

It's gonna trigger a lot of questions...

But really, why is she back? She should be in hell... I guess no one works there anymore...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Crane and Lucifer meeting would actually be pretty funny. But that show finally got cancelled.

Loved the season finale. Very relieved that they didn't kill the doc off, would of been a mistake.

I'm actually surprised that Maze didn't get written off for a while considering that Lesley Ann-Brandt is pregnant. I'm wondering what the "throw stuff at your TV" comment was for, or was it Lucifer finally being willing to show Chloe his true face and then getting bonked in the head and dumped in the desert?. I mean, he has his wings, he can just fly back to LA in a manner of seconds.

It was nice to Amenadiel get his powers back, and the doc trying to patch up Mom with duct tape was great.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

I'm actually surprised that Maze didn't get written off for a while considering that Lesley Ann-Brandt is pregnant. I'm wondering what the "throw stuff at your TV" comment was for, or was it Lucifer finally being willing to show Chloe his true face and then getting bonked in the head and dumped in the desert?. I mean, he has his wings, he can just fly back to LA in a manner of seconds.

Also, nice to see Amenadiel finally get his powers back and stop being such a whiny poo poo.

Well I'm glad they haven't written her off (if they do) cause we would miss out on the best duo of Trixie and Maze.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Great finale. Maze and Trixie playing doctor was great. Especially the little fist bump after Trixie said Luci didn't deserve a sucker because he was being a wuss. I'm glad that once the pieces of the sword was assembled it actually looked pretty bad rear end and not just a cheap looking 12 inch dagger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

grack posted:

Depends if that's supposed to be the Mojave or something like Purgatory.

It also wouldn't shock me if him waking up in the desert ends up being a "6 months later" type thing and there's going to be flashbacks at the start of next season

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if he's even in the present.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dongattack posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Give me the next season right now :negative:

edit: wait what, is this actually a DC comics show? i googled to find out when season 3 is and i found a article talking vaguely about how Lucifer is set in the DC universe and is a DC character

Kind of. The Lucifer comic is a spin off of Sandman which was directly a DC comic but Lucifer itself didn't really have any connections, I think the most was that at one point Lucifer goes and hangs out at the Source Wall.

Edit: There are 4 episodes that were produced this season and will be almost completely stand alone, with one episode being a flashback to Lucifer first showing up in LA.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 31, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Polygynous posted:

I was assuming it was something he did, it's just muddled by a random mugger possibly getting ~*~mysterious ways-ed~*~ into existence to bonk him on the head after he leaves the message. Which will presumably be explained in the fall. :shrug:

I assumed it was Maze that clocked him and left him in the desert to burn as payback for Linda getting burned.

Also, the end was kind of a nice nod to the comics which ended with Lucifer abandoning reality to create his own universe.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Medullah posted:

I assumed it was Maze that clocked him and left him in the desert to burn as payback for Linda getting burned.

I like that, it's not like completely coincidental timing hasn't been a thing lately. (Or is it?)

quote:

Also, the end was kind of a nice nod to the comics which ended with Lucifer abandoning reality to create his own universe.

Cool. :cool:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Medullah posted:

That'd explain it. Might also explain why he doesn't even seem that angry, to be honest. Confused as hell, but not really all that angry. You'd swear he thinks he deserves it, even.

As for the spoiler, as I understand it's literally the same thing he's been struggling with this whole season, that he can't escape God's will so long as he's in God's domain, so he fucks off to create his own universe to truly shed any and all bonds from his father. It's honestly the only way the whole Mom thing could have ended that wouldn't have been a cheap "angsting over killing my own family!" drama shot and it makes perfect sense for him as a way to deal with her without resorting to killing her, and trying to honestly do what's best for her.

edit: Just to note, the spoiler basically just deals with how the finale ended, and how it relates to how the comic ended. There's nothing truly ground-breaking or anything in there, it just seemed fair to give it a day or two before blurting it out openly.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 31, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maze knocking him over the head and leaving him in the desert wouldn't explain his wings growing back, though...

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Snak posted:

Maze knocking him over the head and leaving him in the desert wouldn't explain his wings growing back, though...

He did a good thing and finally found some peace with himself and his relationship with his father. That seems like as good a reason as any, given Amanadiel clearly has started regaining his powers now that he has faith in himself again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Despite its premise Lucifer really is one of the better shows/procedural on right now and its amazing how well they've worked with the formula.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

pentyne posted:

Despite its premise Lucifer really is one of the better shows/procedural on right now and its amazing how well they've worked with the formula.

The scene with Amanadiel in the hospital serving as Lucifer's rock to prevent Chloe from being moved is still amazing.

Edit: Here we go, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WQ_8BKSbNU

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 31, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

He did a good thing and finally found some peace with himself and his relationship with his father. That seems like as good a reason as any, given Amanadiel clearly has started regaining his powers now that he has faith in himself again.

So it's coincidence that he got knicked out andnleft in the desert right when he earned his wings back?

Totally possible, but I stand by my statement tha Maze knocking him out and leaving him in the desert doesn't explain why got his wings back.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

He has a bunch of wounds when he wakes up with his wings, too. I think the time has passed and we'll have flashbacks during the start of the season suggestion is the right one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hello, I asked in here last year but I am interested in watching this and wanted to know how it's progressed. Is this show largely case of the week like CSI, case of the week with B-plots that delve into bigger arcs like iZombie/Veronica Mars, or is this a Person of Interest deal where it slowly abandons all pretense of being a procedural in favor of doing a story with far bigger stakes?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think your examples make any sense.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Argue posted:

Hello, I asked in here last year but I am interested in watching this and wanted to know how it's progressed. Is this show largely case of the week like CSI, case of the week with B-plots that delve into bigger arcs like iZombie/Veronica Mars, or is this a Person of Interest deal where it slowly abandons all pretense of being a procedural in favor of doing a story with far bigger stakes?

So far it's been about like iZombie except the case-of-the-week takes a bit more of a backseat sometimes and gets incorporated into the main plot arcs more often.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The cases all tend to be related to Lucifer's personal issue du jour, too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Medullah posted:

This was a major plot point to the comics but it certainly wasn't the ending. In the comics Lucifer finds a successor to God, has a heart-to-heart with dear old Dad (which goes about as well as you'd expect), and then leaves behind all of Creation to fly in to the infinity of nothingness for all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

grack posted:

This was a major plot point to the comics but it certainly wasn't the ending. In the comics Lucifer finds a successor to God, has a heart-to-heart with dear old Dad (which goes about as well as you'd expect), and then leaves behind all of Creation to fly in to the infinity of nothingness for all time.

Yeah, right up until they started continuing the series again last year, brought Lucifer back for shenanigans in a sub-par continuation of that comic.

• Locked thread