Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BabyRyoga posted:

I noticed I have a normal Geralt and a premium Geralt. You start with one of them in your collection, do you start with both? Or did I get one of them as a daily reward? The normal one is gon' get milled :chef:

Normal Geralt is given to everyone at the start, premium is a reward for playing the closed beta I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So far my biggest complaint with this is that getting to ranked play is taking forever. They should up the experience rewards.

Also my Skellige Brokvar Hunter deck laughs at your weather decks. Go ahead and hit me with some frost, it only makes my hunters stronger for when I resurrect them in round 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WarEternal posted:

People who don't send GG are funny to me. They should just make it so it's a prisoners dilemma type thing where if you don't send it, you don't get the benefit either.

I had this exact idea last night! But really, wouldn't that just make everyone send GG?

Make it a true prisoner's dilemma: if both send GG, both get normal rewards. If one sends GG, the one who doesn't gets double rewards and the one who does gets nothing. If neither send GG, they both get nothing.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

precision posted:

I had this exact idea last night! But really, wouldn't that just make everyone send GG?

Make it a true prisoner's dilemma: if both send GG, both get normal rewards. If one sends GG, the one who doesn't gets double rewards and the one who does gets nothing. If neither send GG, they both get nothing.

There are a couple of times when I didn't send it because people were emote taunting. And there was once I didn't send it when some dude who held a rank and high level was playing casuals and dumpstering low level people with a completely full deck.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
If I was testing out a new deck, I would probably play casual with it until I was comfortable enough for ranked.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

precision posted:

Not much a dilemma if there's no downside to not cooperating.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJ posted:

Yeah this isn't an actual prisoner's dilemma. The idea behind that is that taking action will benefit you and hurt the other person.

So if only you send a GG you get 50 ore, if only you get GG'd you lose 50 ore, if you both GG you both lose 10 ore, if no one does you both get 10 ore. Everyone GGs and loses 10 ore. Dumb.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
The Prisoner's Dilemma is an example for an intentionally lovely position to be in, maybe don't incorporate that into video games, thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJ posted:

The downside is that if everyone thinks this way nobody will ever get rewards.

It would be lovely if you got punished in any scenario, but the way I outlined it is fairly benign (fake edit: if you remove the "double reward" clause I put in) - over time, no matter what you do, you will average the same rewards we get now. If you always send GG, there is a 50% chance of getting nothing and a 50% chance of getting reward. If you never GG, there's a 50% chance of getting nothing and a 50% chance of getting reward.

But also maybe you guys are being way too serious about a very small mechanic.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm really loving Wild Hunt Riders at the moment. As a new player with not many cards they give insane value to Weather Monster in R2. Wild Hunt Rider into Eredin/Navigator and copy the Wild Hunt Rider pretty much guarantees you win R3 while other simpler WHR plays still get a lot of value. Got my 18 round wins today in only 9 games based almost entirely on R2 WHR and I still only have the 4 basic golds you get given for free.

I'm going to hit ranked soon though and I'm sure it will all go downhill from there... Working towards the Consume/Deathwish Monster archetype. I'm not seeing any of it in casual but I assume that's because you don't get given a single card for it for free apart from the leader. Coming from Hearthstone I really enjoy the interactions with the Graveyard (and trolling Skellige players with Griffin).

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
what does "Orders: Summon this Unit." mean? On the imperial golem nilfgaard card

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^^ hover over the cards to read the card text. That one means when you play your leader the golem gets summoned from your deck.

Flayer posted:

I'm really loving Wild Hunt Riders at the moment. As a new player with not many cards they give insane value to Weather Monster in R2. Wild Hunt Rider into Eredin/Navigator and copy the Wild Hunt Rider pretty much guarantees you win R3 while other simpler WHR plays still get a lot of value. Got my 18 round wins today in only 9 games based almost entirely on R2 WHR and I still only have the 4 basic golds you get given for free.

I'm going to hit ranked soon though and I'm sure it will all go downhill from there... Working towards the Consume/Deathwish Monster archetype. I'm not seeing any of it in casual but I assume that's because you don't get given a single card for it for free apart from the leader. Coming from Hearthstone I really enjoy the interactions with the Graveyard (and trolling Skellige players with Griffin).

What do you typically use to win round 1? I mostly use WHRs on T1, then as soon as I have 2 on the board I pass. Most of the time that means I go into R2 and then R3 with a card advantage, then the 20 point swing from crones finishes off R3. And yeah, in my experience in ranked, players will target the poo poo out of riders.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

botany posted:

^^^^ hover over the cards to read the card text. That one means when you play your leader the golem gets summoned from your deck.

thanks! wasnt getting more than the actual effect text in the keg store thing (ps4) :/

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
rofl incorporating the prisoner's dilemma in the GG mechanic

just press the button you big baby

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

my new dog posted:

thanks! wasnt getting more than the actual effect text in the keg store thing (ps4) :/

Oh yeah, for some reason it doesn't work in the store, which is dumb. The UI really needs work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They may as well just make the GG reward automatic. All it means as-is is that everyone gets it unless someone was a dick.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

They may as well just make the GG reward automatic. All it means as-is is that everyone gets it unless someone was a dick.

isn't that the point?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Up Circle posted:

isn't that the point?

The dicks are the people who don't give them, not the ones who don't get them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Up Circle posted:

isn't that the point?
It punishes people for getting matched with a dick, not for being a dick. Dicks don't give GG's as a general rule.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
punish might be going too far

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

General Morden posted:

rofl incorporating the prisoner's dilemma in the GG mechanic

just press the button you big baby

dis one

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

my new dog posted:

what does "Orders: Summon this Unit." mean? On the imperial golem nilfgaard card

Triggers when you play your faction leader.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just make it so you don't get rewards unless both players GG, it's not complicated.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Just make it so you don't get rewards unless both players GG, it's not complicated.

Or just leave it the way it is, Jesus Christ. What is it with goons and complaints about this sort of stuff. This is the endless discussion about Hearthstone's emote system all over again.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So the Eithne all-spell deck is pretty loving dumb and fun. I was having a rough time today, probably winning like 10-20% of my games and decided to try this one out. I couldn't really find a deck I was having fun with and this one is really fun. I like playing control decks and John Calveit control wasn't really cutting it. I don't like that spy nonsense at all and can't get behind it. There really isn't another control deck out there and this one is pretty fun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ShowTime posted:

So the Eithne all-spell deck is pretty loving dumb and fun. I was having a rough time today, probably winning like 10-20% of my games and decided to try this one out. I couldn't really find a deck I was having fun with and this one is really fun. I like playing control decks and John Calveit control wasn't really cutting it. I don't like that spy nonsense at all and can't get behind it. There really isn't another control deck out there and this one is pretty fun.

Turns out the best way to counter weather is to not play any minions.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

Turns out the best way to counter weather is to not play any minions.

Alternatively, play your minions as the last thing in the game, and make them loving huge.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Game is wigging out for me today. After every game no option to send GG, and hitting Next just shows a swirling loading symbol endlessly. Really annoying.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

Game is wigging out for me today. After every game no option to send GG, and hitting Next just shows a swirling loading symbol endlessly. Really annoying.

Servers are going through some poo poo right now. Don't play ranked.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah I can't even log in to start the game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

poo poo me too

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So who are good YT streamers to watch to learn this? I started watching Noxious(?) vids and he seems okay.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Lifecoach is good, Swim is pretty good, Merchant is alright, MegaMogwai is annoying. McBearded is alright. There are a bunch of smaller ones I haven't watched yet. SuperJJ I saw streaming recently and I also saw he quite competitive Hearthstone to focus on Gwent.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Could someone post some general deck building tips (or a link to a decent article/video of the same)? Just wondering about newbie traps to avoid, what sort of balance of cards I should be looking at, etc.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could someone post some general deck building tips (or a link to a decent article/video of the same)? Just wondering about newbie traps to avoid, what sort of balance of cards I should be looking at, etc.

Go to GwentDB and look at decks, or check out Youtube people like Swim or Merchant. Merchant specifically does a series called "poor mans Gwent" where he takes a f2p account and plays with it, adding cards as he gets them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC3ZqFbpwxyp-sseip6nD9Iw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC6PJu-F2FvReSw5EM783Jew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MegaaMogwai

Edit: It also helps to know what kind of collection you have, with what golds specifically, so we can kind of lead you into possible decks. Wild Hunt Monsters and Dwarven Scoia'Tael would be the two decks i'd lead you towards for a new person, as they are pretty easy to pilot and don't take an insane card collection.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
What's the most useful elf gold? Aglais? I already have saskia and isengrim

i don't really use any of the row movement cards or have dwarfs in me deck so zoltan isnt that applicable to me

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Aglais is great and for a card I didn't anticipate using (I got a gold premium in a keg) she has won me more cards than the ones that are supposed to have deck synergy.

idt she'd do as good against sheer unit decks but I don't think I've seen any of those.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Up Circle posted:

What's the most useful elf gold? Aglais? I already have saskia and isengrim

i don't really use any of the row movement cards or have dwarfs in me deck so zoltan isnt that applicable to me
Ithlienne is definitely the most broken.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm struggling to beat Dagon in the single player challenges. How do I beat Dagon in the single player challenge I want his card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm struggling to beat Dagon in the single player challenges. How do I beat Dagon in the single player challenge I want his card

you can build an elf deck with francesca and 3 clear weather cards and ida emean, if you have the cards