Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have mostly dorfs

I'm just gonna figure out how to make my vikings into monster killers. Am I right in thinking it looks like the default Skellige guy is the best Leader card of theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
All of them, and to the same extent all of the leaders in every faction, have their uses. Crach is great if you run the Morkvarg/Olgierd strength build, King Bran is great if you run the Queensguard/Cerys build, Harald is great if you run the Hjalmar/Savage bear wounding build. Of the three, Morkvarg/Olgierd with Crach an Craite is probably the best. You'll need the viking ships, including the legendary one, to really make it great.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm struggling to beat Dagon in the single player challenges. How do I beat Dagon in the single player challenge I want his card

I ran into the same problem as you. I got it after probably a dozen tries. Understand that the AI is extremely predictable, and will draw the exact same order of cards each time.

I used pretty much the default monsters deck with a couple tweaks (adding in Archgriffins for chorts, another first light for cleaver)

Mulligan for weather clears — you want at the very least 3 ways to clear weather. You want a first light going if you're going into round 3 for RNR.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The solution, as always, is just to get more and better cards. I'm totally hooked on this game, so I'll probably end up shelling out for some kegs next paycheck.

Overwatch only got me to buy a handful of crates at Christmas, but Gwent could very well drain me dry, particularly if I get some really good cards

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

BabyRyoga posted:

I noticed I have a normal Geralt and a premium Geralt. You start with one of them in your collection, do you start with both? Or did I get one of them as a daily reward? The normal one is gon' get milled :chef:

mill both of them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The solution, as always, is just to get more and better cards. I'm totally hooked on this game, so I'll probably end up shelling out for some kegs next paycheck.

Overwatch only got me to buy a handful of crates at Christmas, but Gwent could very well drain me dry, particularly if I get some really good cards

The really awesome thing about Gwent is that the cost of any given deck has an upper limit.

I mean, poo poo, I've been playing for less than a week and other than RNR I have a reasonable approximation of a top-notch non-consume Monsters deck. (Admittedly I did pull both Yennefer Conjurer and Caretaker)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I will immediately spend my Meteorite on Tibor because holy poo poo.

Did premium cards ever look this good in a card game? I don't think so.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Minrad posted:

mill both of them

He's not THAT bad. 13 power for a gold is fine.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I guess Quen shields block attacks that might reset your unit's strength. I learned that playing my mulli'tel deck against a Voorhis deck.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

He's not THAT bad. 13 power for a gold is fine.

13 is like the lower limit of what you should be getting out of gold card. Triss almost always gives you 13. geralt is 10 unless you are severely losing, in which case he isn't enough of a swing.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Can anyone explain this card: http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50192-the-guardian

It's essentially the most base power a silver card can have but it comes with the extremely strong ability that essentially reads "your opponent can't mulligan in between rounds". That doesn't even rate a 1 power reduction? Seems like a bit much.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

It's essentially the most base power a silver card can have but it comes with the extremely strong ability that essentially reads "your opponent can't mulligan in between rounds". That doesn't even rate a 1 power reduction? Seems like a bit much.

did you play the witcher 2? that thing was badass.

its probably a little weaker than it should be

to be clear i think it should have scorch effect too

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah it's ridic, it speaks to the power of the silver options for Nilfgaard that it isn't an auto-include

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Nothing quite like winning round two against a Skellige player who hasn't played any priestesses yet, and just dropping bears for days on them. Love that fuckin' bear.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's golems are 6 power, so it's not like it's handing you dead cards.
Don't get me wrong it's a strong card, but I feel it's fair.

If the golems were 7 power it would be useless, if they were 5 it would be absurd.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Gorp posted:

It's golems are 6 power, so it's not like it's handing you dead cards.
Don't get me wrong it's a strong card, but I feel it's fair.

If the golems were 7 power it would be useless, if they were 5 it would be absurd.

Are you playing the starter deck or something? A vanilla 6 power, even 7 power silver is trash. It's not like you're getting them in addition to your cards, they replace your draws. The average bronze value is 8 BEFORE synergy and any deck worth playing is getting a lot more than 8 per bronze overall.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Denying a mulligan for one round doesn't really seem that strong to me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Denying a mulligan for one round doesn't really seem that strong to me.

It is though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I think I've sort of hit a plateau with my weather monsters. The basic deck is all there, the wild riders are great, the crones are a 20 damage swing, but that by itself isn't really enough to win most games. I feel like my complete lack of good gold cards is the bottleneck. The only good gold I have is Imlerith, and Woodland Spirit is decent but doesn't synergize with the rest of the deck at all. I feel like I want at least Ciri, RnR and/or Igni as good gold neutrals, and Caranthir is probably a must-have for weather monsters. Ranked just isn't really worth it for now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's really counter intuitive that Roach doesn't auto play if it's in your hand rather than deck. Seems like it should pull from either, unless there's some way to abuse that really bad?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

precision posted:

It's really counter intuitive that Roach doesn't auto play if it's in your hand rather than deck. Seems like it should pull from either, unless there's some way to abuse that really bad?

It would be extremely bad for a roach player if roach jumped out of the hand into play since it would kill your card advantage. It's actually an upside that he doesn't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

It would be extremely bad for a roach player if roach jumped out of the hand into play since it would kill your card advantage. It's actually an upside that he doesn't

Oh yeah I get that, but there are edge cases where it could help. Maybe they should implement "may" clauses (there are edge cases where I wouldn't want to auto summon roach too, like if playing a Gold would win me the round without Roach)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

I think I've sort of hit a plateau with my weather monsters. The basic deck is all there, the wild riders are great, the crones are a 20 damage swing, but that by itself isn't really enough to win most games. I feel like my complete lack of good gold cards is the bottleneck. The only good gold I have is Imlerith, and Woodland Spirit is decent but doesn't synergize with the rest of the deck at all. I feel like I want at least Ciri, RnR and/or Igni as good gold neutrals, and Caranthir is probably a must-have for weather monsters. Ranked just isn't really worth it for now.

With Woodland Spirit why not build around the Foglets? With Nekker warriors support. What other golds/silvers you have?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What's up with the card drop rarities? I thought there was supposed to be a rare in every keg, but all I've pulled for almost 20 packs is lovely bronzes and a single silver. Opening packs in this game is really underwhelming.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oenis posted:

What's up with the card drop rarities? I thought there was supposed to be a rare in every keg, but all I've pulled for almost 20 packs is lovely bronzes and a single silver. Opening packs in this game is really underwhelming.

Some bronzes are common and some are rare, and you do get at least 1 rare per pack. Silvers are all epic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish the Rarity indicator was bigger or a symbol instead of a tiny square, I'm slightly colorblind and I have to kinda lean into the screen to tell Blue from Purp

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

No Mods No Masters posted:

Some bronzes are common and some are rare, and you do get at least 1 rare per pack. Silvers are all epic

It's a perception problem. Opening most boosters feel like you're getting just crap, because rare's look just like commons.
They probably should have split bronze cards into 2 colors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything to me (opened about 20 kegs, which is a pretty great rate for only playing an hour a day) it feels like I'm getting much less obvious crap/filler than in say Magic Duels

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Speaking of perceptions. Anyone else auto-picking animated cards over non-animated ones?

I don't need 2 animated bomb-throwing elves. I don't play squirrels and even if I did, I wouldn't include them.
Still, I picked them over other useful rares.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

With Woodland Spirit why not build around the Foglets? With Nekker warriors support. What other golds/silvers you have?

I could do that, but that would be a completely different deck, and I want to play this one :v: . Also I'm not sure how I would really build around that. Do you have a Foglet decklist you can link?

Golds / Silvers: I don't have any other golds. Only the starting ones and Woodland Spirit. For silvers, I crafted the Crones and I pulled a Water Hag, White Frost, Sarah and Operator, all of which I'm running minus the Sarah. White Frost and Water Hag I can't do without, I'm torn between Operator and Scorch. But neither seems to be quite good enough.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

I could do that, but that would be a completely different deck, and I want to play this one :v: . Also I'm not sure how I would really build around that. Do you have a Foglet decklist you can link?

Golds / Silvers: I don't have any other golds. Only the starting ones and Woodland Spirit. For silvers, I crafted the Crones and I pulled a Water Hag, White Frost, Sarah and Operator, all of which I'm running minus the Sarah. White Frost and Water Hag I can't do without, I'm torn between Operator and Scorch. But neither seems to be quite good enough.

Mcbeard had a nice list but like the Wild Hunt version you're Gold/Silver short to make it work like he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgeWVC9hAjI

But being short of the clutch golds isn't the end of the world. Keep Geralt/Triss/Imlereth/Spirit. Crones, White Frost and Water Hag in the silver slots. For the 6th slot commanders horn isn't the worst thing possible. Bronzes 3xLittle Foglets 3xBig Foglets, 2/3 Nekker Warriors, 2/3 Fogs, rest you fill out as see fit. Bear Roars, Thunderbolt Potions, Harpies, Drowners.
You can also play around with Operator, for a extra nekker warrior. But I dunno.

You can also try both frost Wild Hunt and foggy monsters in the same deck! Keep the other guy guessing.

As for a general Monster crafting guide. Ge'els and Caretaker seem to be the best crafts for all type of Monster decks.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

adhuin posted:

Speaking of perceptions. Anyone else auto-picking animated cards over non-animated ones?

I don't need 2 animated bomb-throwing elves. I don't play squirrels and even if I did, I wouldn't include them.
Still, I picked them over other useful rares.

If you don't play them, they're still free dust to animate a card you like.

botany posted:

3 Impenetrable Fog, 3 Foglet, 3 Ancient Foglet, 3 Nekker Warrior, 3 Weather-Clear Griffins for bronze,
Operator for silver to make more Foglets,
Whatever you have for Gold.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll have to play around with that stuff tonight and see how it goes!

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Anyone on PS4 having issues today? I keep getting "An error has occurred in one the clients. Ending the game", generally after the game takes ten seconds to trigger effects.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea servers are messed up again. I wouldn't play ranked right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reboot your ps4, there's a system update

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Got the system update but Gwent is still busted: I couldn't save a deck after editing it because the server wasn't updating.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
CDPR is getting DDoS attacked right now. https://twitter.com/CDPRED_Support/status/869552976305815552

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Lost a game because a unit that "locks" another unit reset the power on my Dudu to 1.

How the gently caress is that a thing? It's a deploy ability, you can't lock something that already happened! If I lock something that has dealt damage on deploy do the units it damaged heal? No.

Some of these mechanics need a definite rework or fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Lost a game because a unit that "locks" another unit reset the power on my Dudu to 1.

How the gently caress is that a thing? It's a deploy ability, you can't lock something that already happened! If I lock something that has dealt damage on deploy do the units it damaged heal? No.

Some of these mechanics need a definite rework or fixing.

Lock does not reset power. However Margarita resets a unit power then locks, it's two separate abilities.