Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hahaha

Just started episode 4 which begins with "the end" on the projector of a movie and it paused with the netflix "continue playing" popup. For a few seconds I thought it was a meta joke within the episode and a bit of netflix self branding before I realised I've just marathoned the last two episodes without pausing.

It was in the right spot though, really threw me for a moment.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I can't believe it already started I was not keeping track at all gently caress

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Slashrat posted:

E2: Goddamn, Donald Blythe savaged Cathy. He's going out quietly, but not taking poo poo over it from anyone who were even deeper into the mess than him.

Yeah, he's had an interesting character arc. He was played, but he knows it, and I guess the business with his wife really made him cynical.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Watching episode 3 now. Holy poo poo that SS agent on Claire's plane looks goofy, just staring straight ahead through the entire scene.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Happy Halloween

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Do you own Kings on DVD? That's rad.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I just started watching the new season and holy poo poo the writing is awful

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gold nugget from E6

"They wanna know what happened with their election."
*deadpan* "We're fixing it."
"Yeah... that's what they're afraid of."

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
At episode 9. Man this has gotten so boring and repetitive.

Show could have had a clear and concise rise and fall arc done in 3 seasons, now it's stretched thin.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Episode 5 was the most boring episode ever. Does it get better?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Conway's wife has a really annoyingly British accent. Good acting, but cringy voice.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

She had that accent last season, too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

clown shoes posted:

She had that accent last season, too.

I know. Hated it then as well.

There's no reason for her to be British, I think she could pull off an American one.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I cannot believe they are going to waste this entire season on this dumb election nonsense.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So can the president of the United States show up at the House of congress and just go off without serious repercussions?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Binge complete. I have serious doubts that I'll be watching next season.

At least Tom is dead. What a waste of screen time he was.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

just finished episode 4 and, if you are able to ignore all concerns about plausibility and just accept the show as an opportunity for kevin spacey to chew scenery, it's alright. the cyberattack plotline is like something out of the fourth die hard movie.

also, i am pretty sure that frank has throat cancer.

Le Saboteur posted:

So can the president of the United States show up at the House of congress and just go off without serious repercussions?

It would be an extreme breach of the House rules, but Frank's goal was to show that he didn't care about the House rules. He wanted a scene and was willing to let himself be dragged out by the Sergeant-at-Arms in a weird reversal of the trick he played a few seasons back.

((also, house of cards has always been more concerned with theatrics than anything.))

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Can I get a link to the House of Cards S4 thread? I realized I still need to finish the last two episodes, and I really enjoy reading discussion after each episode

I don't think there was a Season 4 thread, but there's some discussion here.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I think I only really watch this show to see Robin Wrights wardrobe. But hey it's a living.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Le Saboteur posted:

I think I only really watch this show to see Robin Wrights wardrobe. But hey it's a living.

She does have a drat fine wardrobe.

EDIT: On Episode 5 and, based on how he's currently acting, I am pretty sure this season ends with Conway having a mental breakdown or dying due to stress.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I see the goon-esque attitude of "everything sucks" don't spare the Underwoods.

Seen 5 episodes so far. I thought the first 4 were really solid, while the 5th was real sloppy, as if the writers themselves didn't fully understand the legislature they were writing about.

Look forward to see the rest.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The NSA really needs to work on their security protocols. Dude broke in by standing outside a door and waiting for someone to leave.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Le Saboteur posted:

The NSA really needs to work on their security protocols. Dude broke in by standing outside a door and waiting for someone to leave.

That was dumb, yeah.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

is not that "everything sucks" but House of Cards was at its best with Frank and Claire maneuvering to get to the White House, but the plot with them ruling as well as discarding things left right and centre with no major repercussions (a massive clusterfuck in Palestine and no big deal? sheesh) as gone downhill pretty fast

and now there is the no small issue of reality beating the poo poo out of its plot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ha, I legit forgot I did the thread for season 3.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

There's literally a sign next to one of the doors he goes in that says "No Tailgating"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Episode one:
That bit where Francis was talking to Joshua, notice how when both of them are on camera, you can see Francis's reflection superimposed on Josh. Nice touch!

Caros
May 14, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

There's literally a sign next to one of the doors he goes in that says "No Tailgating"

Yeah. If there is one thing you can trust people to do, it is to be lazy. He'd gotten through several secure doors and, most importantly, the front door by that point. Security tends to slack in situations like that.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Watching is like hazily remembering the night before where you drank too much. I seem to have forgotten more than I haven't forgotten about this show. I keep knowing I should know who or what they are talking about, but it just isn't there. I dunno if that says more about me or the show.

I still assosciate this show with Kate Mara

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I forgot quite a few details of the entire terrorist stuff from the last few eps of last season. Not sure why though since I remember liking the whole season.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just started watching but I honestly don't know why this show still exists. Just what else is left for them to do? It feels like a million years have passed since the excellent first season, and well the world has changed too.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

They should have given one of the presidential candidates a brain injury or dementia to make it feel more real world

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Only on the first episode but the amount of whisper talk followed by loud music is concerning

Caros
May 14, 2008

This show really seems to have completely dropped the ball on what made it entertaining in the first place. It was fun because you got to watch conniving, long term schemes come to fruition after nearly faltering. Everything season is just one long, drawn out scene of Claire and Frank being totally hosed and scraping by on the skin of their teeth, which is a hell of a lot less engaging.

Also, did they seriously just use that 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028 etc line from the trailer? Because that was a good line in the trailer when it looked like they were consolidating their power this season. If you win the election this season it will be by the slimmest of margins, and you are somehow delusional enough to think you can go four terms, abolish term limits and keep on ruling like a king? Come the gently caress on.

This season, just... ugh. How many times do we have to have a 'Frank uses his big boy voice to intimidate someone who doesn't have any reason to be scared of him' scenes. The election plot is still loving going and I'm beginning to feel like the people in the goddamn show must feel. Let it end.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 31, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Do you own Kings on DVD? That's rad.
The kings speech on bluray :v:

It was a Christmas present

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just finished marathoning it and while not perfect it gets better after the election ends. I'm not sure how I feel about Claire being the President or the way Francis managed to arrange everything to fall in place batman style, but next season should be great if it's Underwood vs Underwood for real (unlike last time it happened).

Next season has to be the final one though.

I was surprised that Doug had no idea that whats-her-name was going to get killed, there's no way that's enough to make him renege on taking the fall for Zoe Barnes but it'll probably be part of his plot.

EDIT:

I think the main problem this season has is that it's very anticlimactic. The election plot ends without much fanfare (and the other candidate vanishes from the face of the earth) and the following problems don't really get solved, just sidestepped.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 31, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On episode 6 now and despite some mis-steps like the hammy delivery of "2020, 2024, etc" I'm enjoying it more than season 3 but not as much as 4.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Someone remind me what happened to Remy Danton and the woman he ended up banging? Her actress is in Deadwood which I've been watching recently.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I can't believe how strong this seasons started already. The first scene with Frank in the first episode gave me chills.

Going in further, it feels like we still have a psychic sociopathic murderer as POTUS, only that in this case he actually chooses to be that way and acts intelligently, in contrast to the reality.
Also, amazing what Donald Blythe turned into after being president for two weeks.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

loving on the press room podium has to be a reference to the weekly Spicer fuckups, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

drunken officeparty posted:

Someone remind me what happened to Remy Danton and the woman he ended up banging? Her actress is in Deadwood which I've been watching recently.

Remy Danton and Jackie Sharp decided to no longer give a gently caress about their careers and/or the blackmail Frank had on them, and instead just cut ties with Washington and ran off together.

• Locked thread