Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

maswastaken posted:

What if the gorilla tries to maul the corpse?

Let it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Nobody reaches into a fish tank to pet a fish unless they're Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Nobody reaches into a fish tank to pet a fish unless they're Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

Unfortunately a lot of aquariums encourage this with kids and have multiple "petting" areas where you can pet anything from stingrays to starfish, probably none of which enjoy being poked and grabbed by hundreds of kids every day.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thats actually pretty funny.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unfortunately a lot of aquariums encourage this with kids and have multiple "petting" areas where you can pet anything from stingrays to starfish, probably none of which enjoy being poked and grabbed by hundreds of kids every day.

Rays seem to like getting petted. In French Polynesia, they come and rub up against you like cats. It is a little unsettling.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Rays seem to like getting petted. In French Polynesia, they come and rub up against you like cats. It is a little unsettling.

I don't know if it's actively harmful to rays but I know you're really not supposed to touch starfish or expose parts of them to air, which the starfish petting areas always do because the water is so shallow and kids try and pick them up. When I bought a starfish for my tank there were super explicit warnings saying if you expose it to air while transferring it to the tank it will probably die.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Starfish are gross; death to the starfish.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't know if it's actively harmful to rays but I know you're really not supposed to touch starfish or expose parts of them to air, which the starfish petting areas always do because the water is so shallow and kids try and pick them up. When I bought a starfish for my tank there were super explicit warnings saying if you expose it to air while transferring it to the tank it will probably die.

That's weird, because I distinctly remember seeing the native types we have around here on exposed rocks at low tide. It must not be too bad for them.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

i dont give a flying gently caress about their feelings!!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

That's weird, because I distinctly remember seeing the native types we have around here on exposed rocks at low tide. It must not be too bad for them.

I actually looked it up and the leading theory is pet stores say this because a lot of the starfish they sell die for unknown reasons very frequently so they have a lot of probably bullshit care instructions like that so they can deny you a refund if you admit to doing it, even if that wasn't the cause of death. I just assumed it was true because my fish store guy was particularly adamant about it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
You're allowed to return dead fish to the fish store??

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Make sure to wipe the breadcrumbs off first.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There's usually a 24 or 48 hour ( i forget) guarantee where if it dies and you didn't do something stupid like step on it you can go back and exchange it for a new one/store credit. Not sure if you have to bring the fish corpse in with you though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PetSmart gives you a week

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

PetSmart gives you a week

Petsmart gives you two weeks but we need the body and your receipt.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

dovetaile posted:

Petsmart gives you two weeks but we need the body and your receipt.

I would've had a much easier childhood if foster parents worked that way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

I work at a smartphone repair workshop, nothing big but good enough to attract a number of clients, I'm really young, 20, and I'm more of an introverted quiet type person, basically a concoction of insecurities.
Today, I came in earlier than usual, (even before the receptionist) and started setting up. While I'm doing this, a very attractive lady comes in, she had a body to die for and a face that breaks necks.(looked like she was late for a fashion show)
I ask her what the issue is and she informs that her IPhone 6s doesn't have any volume on calls. As she tells me this, the receptionist walks in and we exchange greetings as I get to work. Our receptionist is a generally talkative person so she starts chatting with the lady.
So I've already removed the screen and the motherboard, I turn on the heat gun and point it directly underneath the macro-microphone as it clearly needed a new one so I needed to heat it to remove it. That's when I overhear them talking about me.
Went something like "that guy in there is really handsome", which the receptionist responds with "yeah I know right, we don't so many hot guys in this field." I was so perplexed by this that I forgot I was directly frying a fragile piece of tech and I ended up damaging the entire motherboard. Hefty price to pay for a compliment.
tl;dr Insecure nerd, never been called hot. While working on a client's phone I overhear them calling me attractive and I end up making the phone worse than it came in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/6eg4mo/tifu_by_being_called_hot/

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Fake because it's called a logic board, not a motherboard. If this idiot actually repaired apple products he would know that. And don't say "well he said motherboard to make it clear what it was!"

Also I highly doubt any repair shop has legit parts or training to repair the inside of an iPhone, unless they are super sketchy and buy used phones off eBay. My scummy friend who has an apple-authorized repair shop sure as gently caress doesn't have any iPhone parts, and he is able to get parts directly from apple.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 22:55 on May 31, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Also why would this random customer talk to the manager about how her employee is like totally hot. Would you ever say something like that to a random manager in some random store ?!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

/
Your employees are too hot, they're distracting me! I want a refund and free repair!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

/
Your employees are too hot, they're distracting me! I want a refund and free repair!

I try this all the time at the strip club

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Thin Privilege posted:

Fake because it's called a logic board, not a motherboard. If this idiot actually repaired apple products he would know that. And don't say "well he said motherboard to make it clear what it was!"

Also I highly doubt any repair shop has legit parts or training to repair the inside of an iPhone, unless they are super sketchy and buy used phones off eBay. My scummy friend who has an apple-authorized repair shop sure as gently caress doesn't have any iPhone parts, and he is able to get parts directly from apple.

Also what phone repair shop has a receptionist

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

http://www.upworthy.com/i-told-a-kid-a-riddle-my-dad-told-me-when-i-was-7-his-answer-proves-how-far-weve-come?c=ufb3

This isn't totally stdh, but I laugh to think that the kid gave a dumb answer by mistake, which was then interpreted as being super progressive and a sign of how times are changing for the better.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TheMostFrench posted:

http://www.upworthy.com/i-told-a-kid-a-riddle-my-dad-told-me-when-i-was-7-his-answer-proves-how-far-weve-come?c=ufb3

This isn't totally stdh, but I laugh to think that the kid gave a dumb answer by mistake, which was then interpreted as being super progressive and a sign of how times are changing for the better.

Just to overthink this more: I'm not sure this can even be argued as more progressive than the actual answer to this riddle ("the surgeon is the kid's mom") since the entire initial point is playing on the stereotype that surgeon is perceived as a masculine-gendered occupation, which "his other dad" buys into.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:agreed:

Also "without missing a beat" :lol:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Frankly I can't even tell who is talking to whom, because the writing is bad and the dialogue is harder to follow than the dialogue in a Cormac McCarthy novel. I mean, I'm almost impressed at how the writer managed to make just a few lines of dialogue impossible to follow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

Just to overthink this more: I'm not sure this can even be argued as more progressive than the actual answer to this riddle ("the surgeon is the kid's mom") since the entire initial point is playing on the stereotype that surgeon is perceived as a masculine-gendered occupation, which "his other dad" buys into.

lmao

This kid basically single-handedly set back women doctors a decade, nice work kid

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I like how he tldr's a short paragraph.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What did it say? It's deleted now. :(

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

YeahTubaMike posted:

What did it say? It's deleted now. :(

This post.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wow, didn't scroll up enough. Thanks!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

At least you know she puts out

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

Today was my first day on the job as a Junior Software Developer and was my first non-internship position after university. Unfortunately i screwed up badly.
I was basically given a document detailing how to setup my local development environment. Which involves run a small script to create my own personal DB instance from some test data. After running the command i was supposed to copy the database url/password/username outputted by the command and configure my dev environment to point to that database. Unfortunately instead of copying the values outputted by the tool, i instead for whatever reason used the values the document had.
Unfortunately apparently those values were actually for the production database (why they are documented in the dev setup guide i have no idea). Then from my understanding that the tests add fake data, and clear existing data between test runs which basically cleared all the data from the production database. Honestly i had no idea what i did and it wasn't about 30 or so minutes after did someone actually figure out/realize what i did.
While what i had done was sinking in. The CTO told me to leave and never come back. He also informed me that apparently legal would need to get involved due to severity of the data loss. I basically offered and pleaded to let me help in someway to redeem my self and i was told that i "completely hosed everything up".
So i left. I kept an eye on slack, and from what i can tell the backups were not restoring and it seemed like the entire dev team was on full on panic mode. I sent a slack message to our CTO explaining my screw up. Only to have my slack account immediately disabled not long after sending the message.
I haven't heard from HR, or anything and i am panicking to high heavens. I just moved across the country for this job, is there anything i can even remotely do to redeem my self in this situation? Can i possibly be sued for this? Should i contact HR directly? I am really confused, and terrified.
EDIT Just to make it even more embarrassing, i just realized that i took the laptop i was issued home with me (i have no idea why i did this at all).

https://np.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6ez8ag/accidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/

Junior Dev on his first day somehow given the power to wipe their whole production database, also this company doesn't have any backups, also they said they were gonna call the cops he was such a bad employee!!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If it did happen, why would you keep checking in and saying "yes this was my fault, I am still here and willing to tell you it was my fault over and over"? It's practically begging them to sue you. Be honest instead and say you just followed their training document (even though you clearly are an idiot who didn't deserve the job in the first place if you had "no clue what you were doing") and leave it at that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Based on places I've worked there is zero doubt in my mind that's a true story.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

TheMostFrench posted:

Homophobia retired!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

whoever documented a username/password with proddb write permissions should be fired, preferably into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!