Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Summer, aka peak disc season, is just around the corner and I'm surprised to see there's no disc golf thread active, so I decided to do something about it! Thanks to Muerte, who started the previous megathread. I stole a lot of his content, because it was great.

What is Disc Golf?
It is a game where you throw a frisbee-like disc into a basket mounted on a pole, usually 150' to 450+ feet away. Similar to ball golf, you have a tee shot, then continue throwing from wherever your disc lands until it's in the basket. Lowest score wins.

Why should I play Disc Golf?
At beginner levels, it's basically just a great excuse to get out and walk through a park. It's extremely low-impact exercise, and a great activity to play with friends (or to meet new ones). It's also a very affordable game - the only equipment you need is a golf disc, which can be had for :10bux: or less. The vast majority of courses are in public parks and are free to play. Even once the addiction really sets in and you start building out a bag of discs, it's still really inexpensive.

It’s a game that can be played by almost anyone - age, strength, and fitness matter much less than technique and finesse. I've seen grandparents, people in wheel chairs, and children all enjoying the game.

How do I play Disc Golf?
DG is similar to real golf in many ways. Many courses are 18 holes, some are 9, some have only a few baskets. Each hole has a par (usually 3, 4, or 5) that depends on distance and various hazards (water, trees, etc). Some have multiple basket locations options and/or multiple tee locations that help change things up or provide additional challenge.

You play by throwing your disc from the tee area (a concrete pad at nicer courses, a designated patch of ground otherwise) to the basket. Unlike ball golf, discs can and do change their course and curve drastically through the air, meaning course design is a lot more inventive.

On a typical par-3 hole, you'd expect to have a long drive off the tee, a mid-range approach throw towards the basket, and then a putt into the basket to finish.

Where do I play?
There is probably at least one disc golf course near you!

Disc Golf Course Review is a good place to look for courses and players in your area. It also has a pretty extensive set of forums with content going back many years.

Disc Golf Scene is great for finding tournaments, leagues, and so on.

What do I play with?
Disc golf is played with discs manufactured specifically for golf. They're smaller, heavier, and have more prominent edges than discs designed for catch. There are many manufacturers making high quality discs, with all different types of flight characteristics, plastic blends, art, and so on.

Disc types
Putter These discs are the shaped the most like catch discs. They have a blunter edge, are usually designed to fly as straight as possible for short distances, and are used when you are close to the basket.

Mid-Range These discs are designed for throws that are beyond putter range, but still prioritize accuracy over distance. For many short courses, a mid-range is thrown off the tee instead of a distance driver. Many people start with one of these discs because they are generally easy to learn to throw & control.

Fairway Driver A newer disc trend that's designed to blur the line between distance drivers and mid-range discs.

Distance Driver These discs have pointy edges, and when thrown properly can achieve maximum distance. These are generally the hardest discs to throw, and need to be thrown at high speed to be effective.

Disc Manufacturers
There are many disc manufacturers, but here are links to some of the most popular. These sites have flight charts for each disc.

Innova - http://www.innovadiscs.com/ Innova is the most popular brand in disc golf.
Discraft - http://www.discraft.com/
Gateway Discs - http://www.gdstour.com/
Quest - http://www.questat.com/
Discmania - http://www.discmania.net/
Millennium - http://www.golfdisc.com/
Kastaplast - http://www.kastaplast.se/ :sweden:
Latitude 64 - http://www.latitude64.se/products/golf-discs/

What Beginner Disc Should I Get?
Until you learn the proper throwing form for disc golf, you won't get much benefit out of throwing anything other than a mid-range disc and a putter. The "what disc for beginners" topic has about as many possible answers as there are types of discs. I personally am a fan of Innova's 3-disc starter pack which can be had for about $20. It includes a Leopard fairway driver, a Shark midrange, and an Aviar putter. All three of these discs are extremely popular (the Aviar is the best-selling disc of all time) and will serve you well long into your disc golf career. Pro-tip, you can probably put the Leopard away for awhile.

If you have a local disc golf store (becoming more and more common), or a sporting store that sells discs, you can also paw through their used bin and save a few bucks. If you have a local Play It Again Sports, they very well might have discs. Don't be afraid to ask store folks for recommendations - any experienced discer has their favorites they'd love to tell you about!

Don't fall into the trap of buying a million discs right off the bat. You should pick a disc or two, and then just go out and play. Wait until you know what you're doing before buying more. By then you’ll have some disc golfing friends, and can try out some of their discs as well.

Also, write your phone number on the bottom of your discs in marker, in case you lose it!

I want to buy more discs!
Sure, if you want, but until you're at least an intermediate player they probably won't make you any better. :ssh: Remember that disc golf companies are in the business of selling discs, so they're good at writing the description of their products to make you buy them. Buying and collecting discs is fun, and addictive, but be aware that you're going to get some looks if you roll up to the local course with a backpack full of discs and then can't huck any of them more than 50 feet.

Equipment
Besides the actual discs there are a few things that may make your experience more enjoyable.

Bags - They come in all manner of shapes and sizes as well as capacity. The Innova starter bag is a great option once you have more than a few discs or want to carry a water bottle or some other supplies. There are bigger options, and carts are even becoming a thing.

Shoes - Some courses have rough tee pads, sometimes due to weather they can be slippery or muddy. I highly recommend a shoe with a grippy sole. Keens and Merrells are common choices. Pretty much anything for hiking or trail usage will be fine, but traction is definitely important, since disc golf courses can be fairly steep and when you huck a driver 300 feet into a muddy forest...

Towel - Your discs will get muddy, wet, and sandy. Having a towel in your bag will come in handy. Any towel designed for ball golf is fine.

Mini/marker Disc - A marker disc is necessary for tournament play to mark your lie. You place the marker disc on the ground directly in front of, and touching, your thrown disc, and then can pick up your thrown disc. Not strictly necessary for casual play, but fun for playing putting HORSE with your friends or whatnot.

Portable target - Having a basket of your very own is awesome. You can set it up in your garage, backyard, or living room and get some putting practice, you can take it to a course-less park or athletic field and practice, and so on! They come in many flavors of durability, portability, and price. My personal favorite is the Innova Skillshot - it has decent chains, takes just a few seconds to setup, and packs down to about the size of a folded golf umbrella.

Etiquette
Disc golf is a friendly and social game. You’ll meet great people and have fun in the outdoors.

Don’t litter. Many people drink beer while playing. If you do, pack your bottles or cans out. If you smoke, check with others in your party before you light up, and save your butts for a trash can. Note that smoking is prohibited in many public parks.

If a group of faster players, or a group with less people, is playing behind you, offer to let them play through. You’ll have more fun without them nipping at your heels.

Similarly, don’t throw on another group of players. If there’s a group in front of you, let them all putt out and move to the next tee before you throw. Remember that YOU might know that you have no chance of hitting them, but they have no idea of your abilities.

Pay ATTENTION, discs travel fast and catching one in the dome is no joke. On many smaller courses there are crossing fairways, baskets shared between holes, or tee pads that are close to other hole's baskets (and thus driving area).

Rules
As disc golf has grown, it’s developed a number of rules and regulations designed to make sure everyone is playing on the same page, especially during tournament or competitive play. If you’re just out playing with your friends for fun, have fun. You don’t need to call foot faults on everyone. For casual play, if you toss one into a bush, find a place to play it from and go for it.

As you progress and start playing more competitively, you can read all about the rules at the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association). http://www.pdga.com/

Disc Throwing Basics - Why do my discs always turn left?
Backhand - The thrower draws the throwing arm across the body from the left to the right (for right-handed throwers) to build velocity for the disc. During this movement, the arm straightens out. As the arm becomes straight, the wrist is flicked to impart spin. Think of a backhand slap. For backhands, the thrower should step with their strong leg (the same side as their throwing arm) forward or across the body to allow a smooth, accurate throw. Right hand backhand throws will naturally fade left, left hand backhand throws will naturally fade right.

Forehand/Sidearm - Grip the disc with middle finger and/or index finger pressed along the inside rim of the disc. The index finger is placed against the middle finger for power, or pressed on the bottom of the disc pointing towards the center for stability. The thumb is pressed against the top of the disc. The wrist is cocked back, and the arm is extended out from the body. A snap of the wrist imparts spin as the disc releases off the fingers. Extension of the lower arm provides additional power, as does shoulder and upper body rotation, although too much reliance on arm movement can lead to "floaty" throws with little spin.

Anhyzer - An anhyzer throw is when you tilt your disc so that the outside edge of the disc is higher than the grip. An anhyzer throw will increase a disc's turn, initially sending it opposite of the throw's natural direction of fade (the disc will turn to the right for a right-hand back-hand throw).

Hyzer - A hyzer throw is the opposite of an anhyzer throw. The disc is tilted so that the outside edge of the disc is lower than the grip. A hyzer throw will emphasize the throw's natural direction of fade (the disc will turn harder to the left for a RHBH throw).

As a new player, you will quickly learn that your discs will hyzer hard. You will also notice that you will have a tendency to fire your discs either into the ground or high up in the air. Both of these are bad - a ground shot obviously won't get any distance, and a high shot means your disc is using all its energy to climb instead of go forward. Plus, when it stalls, it'll actually come back towards you. Work on keeping a consistent release angle and continue to build arm speed and you'll find you throw less of these "rainbow shots."

Remember, slow, steady, and smooth form win every time.

I see people doing these super cool runups and then blasting a disc. Should I do that?
If you're a beginner, no. Learn proper form from a standstill. Introducing a run-up or x-step before you're ready will just make you even more inconsistent than you already will be. Add the run-up when you can get decent distance.

Videos
https://youtu.be/Sgn6Os4YSW0 - This is the single best intro to throwing video out there. Worth re-watching as you start developing some skill.
https://youtu.be/30cUNsWOYSI - Another great throwing form video.

Tournament Coverage
Disc golf tournaments are often videoed by small, independent production companies who then get pros to record commentary on the rounds. Sometimes they even get commentary by the same pros playing on the card. You can learn a lot from watching and listening to what the pros say and do.
https://www.youtube.com/user/JomezProductions - Jomez Productions
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpinTVcom - TheSpinTV
https://www.youtube.com/user/CentralCoastDiscGolf - Central Coast Disc Golf (their "Champs vs Chumps" series is awesome!)

Let's play some disc! When in doubt, try to be not like Richard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQP9gEldRk

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I've been getting super into discgolf this summer, after playing about one round every 3 years since I first started way back in 2000. Awesome courses have sprung up all over the place, and courses that I remember as being short 9-holers have turned into 27-hole championship-length buzzsaws (looking at you, Milo McIver). I've also started actually getting serious about throwing properly and not just hucking rainbow hyzers all over the place. It's been awesome and has completely changed my outlook on summer from "ugh it's so hot better stay inside" to "sweet it's finally not raining and I can go throw".

So, I decided to jumpstart a thread, since the previous one got archived. :) Feel free to ask questions, share stories of great (or terrible) shots, and so on!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Disc golf thread back. Nice.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Quantrill posted:

Disc golf thread back. Nice.

Trying!

Had a great weekend of disc. Got out to my home course Saturday with a newbie, she had a good time and I was pleased with the progress I'm making in distance off the tee. Today was able to get both some field work (with some personal best distance throws) as well as backyard putting practice with my portable. Getting a proper power grip has really unlocked things for me and I can get a lot more full body force into throws. Feels good :toot:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We have some decent courses around here. Lots through the woods play but since it's not big around here, they dont get mowed often so you are searching for discs a lot.

I have the worst right to left hook on my tee shot, so any trees to the right of me are getting drilled most of the time...but those times it miraculously makes it through? Nice.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Athanatos posted:

I have the worst right to left hook on my tee shot

Not sure how experienced you are, but meathook hyzers like that are super normal for newer players. As I transition from noob to intermediate I still have quite a bit of left fade but I get a lot more straight flight first.

As my arm speed comes up I've also been able to get discs to turn over to the right during the initial flight, so the left fade just takes it back where I started.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I thought it was Frolf

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I play disc golf sometimes but I come from a background of ultimate and the throwing mechanic is different so I just drive with the putter. Works okay.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

humpthewind posted:

I play disc golf sometimes but I come from a background of ultimate and the throwing mechanic is different so I just drive with the putter. Works okay.

This is actually a pretty common recommendation to newer players, so especially if you're on a relatively short course, nothing wrong with it at all. Lots of newbies go straight for buying speed 15 drivers instead of learning proper mechanics with a putter.

Unrelated, I'm adding this to the OP because it's great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQP9gEldRk

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Holy crap I love disc golf! We played every day over the long weekend.

aunt jemima posted:

Unrelated, I'm adding this to the OP because it's great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQP9gEldRk

Haha richard owns. :lol: if you've never done that. To contrast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJjrkdigzbY

I've played off & on for ages, but this is the clip that got me started watching it, like I can't believe how some of these players can throw. If you've never checked it out, do! The channels in the OP are awesome, watching pro disc golf is so good and chill, everyone has such a laidback rapport. I love hearing the players talk about their approach.

Anyway, I don't have anything useful/interesting to post, I just appreciate the fact that there's a disc thread at all, your OP is fantastic. I've looked for one before and never found anything, I think I only checked the hobbies and hiking forums tho.

(tbh I only saw this because I was looking for an old frontpage article and this just happened to pop up on the recent threads sidebar. I'm not into "sports" so I've never clicked on this forum even once, haha. It might get more traffic elsewhere; I remember a really active one in GBS a few years back, but that's... GBS :ghost:)

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 30, 2017

pork steaks
May 30, 2017

a lovely boy
Whenever I putt, I release too far to the right. Even when I try my best to throw the disc directly at the basket, it still seems to finish right. I've missed countless easy putts because of this. Any tips?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

pork steaks posted:

Whenever I putt, I release too far to the right. Even when I try my best to throw the disc directly at the basket, it still seems to finish right. I've missed countless easy putts because of this. Any tips?

What hand, and backhand or forehand?

One general tip that definitely helped my putting is to focus on one individual link, not the entire target (and to pick a link that's on the 'easy side' for your throw, ie for a right-hand backhand throw, pick a link towards the right side of the target, so your left fading disc has some room for error). Other than that, I also got a portable basket (see OP for discussion, mine's a Innova Skillshot) and practice in the backyard whenever it's nice out. Make up a little game for yourself - mine is using 5 reasonably-similar putters, stand 5 feet away, throw 'em all, if I get 3 or more in, step 3 feet back and repeat until I fail.

pork steaks
May 30, 2017

a lovely boy
I throw right hand backhand. Recently I've been push putting to try and make a straight line at the basket, but everything goes right. I'll have to try the focusing strategy. It seems to work for a lot of people, and I'll definitely have to work on my follow through.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

pork steaks posted:

I throw right hand backhand. Recently I've been push putting to try and make a straight line at the basket, but everything goes right. I'll have to try the focusing strategy. It seems to work for a lot of people, and I'll definitely have to work on my follow through.

What putter are you using?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

If you're throwing RHBH and fading right I have to think you're throwing an anhyzer release angle. Would suggest experimenting with positioning the disc angle relative to your wrist - the usual guidance I've seen is to ensure the disc stays in line with your forearm, but I'm still working on release angle issues myself, so maybe I know nothing :)

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.

aunt jemima posted:

This is actually a pretty common recommendation to newer players, so especially if you're on a relatively short course, nothing wrong with it at all. Lots of newbies go straight for buying speed 15 drivers instead of learning proper mechanics with a putter.

For a couple years now I've been mostly driving rocs, makos, and buzzes for anything <300 ft. Major improvement especially for any kind of tunnel shot.

Any goons in SE Wisconsin? Always looking for more people to throw with.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
What's the go-to beer to carry around while playing?

I enjoy the wooded courses over open parks. Having to work around trees is way better then a poo poo course that is entirely open and built around basketball courts. A plus if you have to navigate creeks and mud. It always feels open park ones are more poo poo marked so you end up walking around going "Is this the next tee?"

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I always have to pee within 30 seconds of finishing a beer so I've never brought booze out.

Had a fun time today playing a new course to me in a beautiful part of the Columbia Gorge (Oregon/Washington border). Would've shot great if it was all par 4 instead of 3 :shepicide: but I got two new players to come out with me and they both had a great time, so it wasn't all bad. Also my first 18 hole round in a long time, and was pleased that I didn't get significantly worse once we got into the back 9.

The course itself was more challenging than I am used to, and we also had Gorge winds gusting the whole time which added to the drama. Beautiful mountain and river views though.

pork steaks
May 30, 2017

a lovely boy

Quantrill posted:

What putter are you using?

classic aviar

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
This is a good thread and as someone who suck suck SUCKS at driving, I'll be reading up on this quite a bit.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Played another new 18 to me, Cascades Gateway park in Salem, OR, and other than getting geese poo poo all over the bottom of my pants :argh: had a good time. I'm still unhappy with the majority of my shots off the tee as they leave my hand, but I had a couple real nice upshots to save par. Also tried out a Buzzz for the first time; I'm a fan. Actually played the whole round with just four discs: a G-Star Valkyrie, my trusty DX Roc, aforementioned FLX Z Buzzz, and a Glo KC Aviar. Really fond of all four of these, even though the Buzzz and Roc overlap somewhat.

Also got a clutch save from this branch to prevent me having to dig back through about six feet of blackberries.

kapsas
May 18, 2009
Has anyone had elbow pain because of disc golf? I started playing last august and only threw backhand shots. Two weeks ago I got some nice advice on forearm and now 50-75% my forearm shots glide instead of the wobbly wounded duck style that I had before. The downside is that after throwing a half-dozen shots my elbow starts to hurt.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Today is the final round of the PDGA world championships in Augusta, Georgia. I haven't watched any of it yet but (spoilers I guess?) Ricky Wysocki is leading going into round 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ee_JLrDpeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4iZvqR41k

I've been playing a lot now that the weather's nice. Went up to Sundance DGC in Red Feather Lakes the other day for some disc golf in the mountains. Here's a fun pin placement:

Older pic from the same course:

pork steaks posted:

Try a heavier or more overstable putter or releasing your disc on a hyzer angle.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I've been travelling a lot the last few weeks, so I haven't had time to post much, but I did play some pretty awesome rounds while away.

#1: Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Amazing course. Absolutely worth traveling to, especially when you consider the other great courses not far away (cough cough DeLa cough cough).

Highlight pic is definitely the basket on #6 which is very elevated. The bottom is probably 7' off the ground. Took a few attempts!

#2: Fort Steilacoom Park in Tacoma, WA. Three courses! In one park! I was playing with someone brand new and we played the easy 9 and the intermediate 18 and had a blast.

#3: Lower Columbia DGC in Astoria, OR. Just 9 holes, but on the side of a hill with elevation in play on every hole and a nice mix of tunnel shots, blind downhill jungle shots, and a few open bombers.

Unfortunately I lost my trusty starter pack champ Leopard in Tacoma, and flipped the poo poo out of my 144g Valkyrie into a gigantic bramble patch in Astoria.
Fortunately, that means I can buy more discs :dance: And my PDGA membership stuff showed up while I was gone, bringing with it my first MVP disc, a 150g Wave.

FranklinDelanoBluth
May 24, 2009
[/quote] Unfortunately I lost my trusty starter pack champ Leopard in Tacoma, and flipped the poo poo out of my 144g Valkyrie into a gigantic bramble patch in Astoria.
Fortunately, that means I can buy more discs :dance: And my PDGA membership stuff showed up while I was gone, bringing with it my first MVP disc, a 150g Wave.

[/quote]

The Wave was an excellent choice, it's my favorite disc by far. My next go to disc from MVP is a volt. I would say that I am using a Wave or a Volt for my drives and forehand upshots 70% of the time.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

FranklinDelanoBluth posted:

The Wave was an excellent choice, it's my favorite disc by far. My next go to disc from MVP is a volt. I would say that I am using a Wave or a Volt for my drives and forehand upshots 70% of the time.

I actually didn't choose it, it's the PDGA membership disc for 2017 :) But yeah, I'm real excited to throw it.

In other news, got a backyard practice basket (DD Recruit) and a pile of used putters (I've been throwing the McPro Aviars and found a guy on FB who sold me 5 for $35 shipped) and I've been trying to go out and do one round of the Perfect Putt 360 game per day, meaning 100 putts at a mix of 10-30 feet. Banging a 10 footer sounds (and is) easy, banging 10 in a row is surprisingly more hard. Also love that it incents you to make your first and last putts, does a great job of creating the artificial pressure of a real course.

Because I'm a fuckin nerd I've also been tracking my scores and it's super cool to see it start to crawl upwards.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Family picture day.

guavo
Jan 3, 2007
I am quite practic at this onlane thing

Here's my mailcall, can't wait to throw them this weekend.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Oh sweet new thread. I haven't been able to get out to play for like a month. Luckily the weather this weekend will be perfect, I'm psyched to play again.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Nice sexybird & jermbird. I have one of each on the wall atm... might throw them eventually.

guavo
Jan 3, 2007

aunt jemima posted:

Nice sexybird & jermbird. I have one of each on the wall atm... might throw them eventually.

I can't wait to play the discs on Sunday on the local course. Saturday is throwing three courses off the bucket list, ugh, losing new discs on new courses = my life.

AceInMySleeve
May 7, 2012

guavo posted:

I can't wait to play the discs on Sunday on the local course. Saturday is throwing three courses off the bucket list, ugh, losing new discs on new courses = my life.

Just started playing a month or so ago and this is already my life.

Playing a mini tonight, if I actually hit putts inside of 10 feet I have a chance of breaking 72.... I won't hold my breath.

guavo
Jan 3, 2007
Is anyone participating in the Disccraft Ace Race? It's a fun time and you'll be a really flippy disc to pawn off on your non-disc golf friends!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I play disc golf sparingly, and I cannot for the life of me throw a driver accurately. Every driver I throw just turns over and takes off to the right (I throw right hand, backhanded). Do I need to change my angle of release? Do I need to switch to a disc with more speed?

I've just switched to throwing my putter for every shot. I can regularly outdrive my friends (who throw midranges and drivers) with my putter, and I'm pretty drat accurate with it. I almost always score lower than them, using nothing but my putter. At this point it just doesn't seem worth it to risk an errant drive, for a mild increase in distance when using a driver.

Thoughts?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

RCarr posted:

I play disc golf sparingly, and I cannot for the life of me throw a driver accurately. Every driver I throw just turns over and takes off to the right (I throw right hand, backhanded). Do I need to change my angle of release? Do I need to switch to a disc with more speed?

I've just switched to throwing my putter for every shot. I can regularly outdrive my friends (who throw midranges and drivers) with my putter, and I'm pretty drat accurate with it. I almost always score lower than them, using nothing but my putter. At this point it just doesn't seem worth it to risk an errant drive, for a mild increase in distance when using a driver.

Thoughts?

How far are you throwing and what driver are you throwing?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

How far are you throwing and what driver are you throwing?

I was using a Teebird, but switched to a Beast, which is better, but still turns over and goes right every time. I honestly have no idea how far I'm throwing them. I'll have to throw some in a field and measure them.

My putter is a supersoft wizard.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

RCarr posted:

I was using a Teebird, but switched to a Beast, which is better, but still turns over and goes right every time. I honestly have no idea how far I'm throwing them. I'll have to throw some in a field and measure them.

My putter is a supersoft wizard.

Teebirds should be able to go well past 300 feet.

McBeth and Sexton talk about people throwing drivers to the right in their clinics. If you're not crushing drives it's probably angle of release. This video should have their advice on how to correct it, but I can't watch right now to confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gzNIRxRbY

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

Thoughts?

Try a lot of different drivers until you find some you like. Different discs, different plastics, different weights. Right now you're throwing a fairway driver and a fairly slow, understable (flippy) distance driver.

Left side of the chart is overstable discs, right side is understable:

So, you could try something like a Viking, Orc, Destroyer, etc that is less likely to flip. If money is an issue, try borrowing drivers from your friends or picking up some used discs, until you find something that works.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

It's possible you're throwing it flat with so much power that it's turning over immediately, but I would say that's unlikely unless you have a monster arm and/or perfect form. More likely you're throwing a shitload of anhyzer on it. Get some video of yourself (an iPhone set to 60fps works wonders) and it'll likely be pretty visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the replies! I'll do some testing and get back to you.

• Locked thread