Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Got the names crossed, my bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I would probably regard sonic 4 more kindly if it didn't have a soundfont designed to be as terrible as possible.

I wouldn't regard it well though, it's way too obsessed with it's own gimmicks, but I could at least watch a video of it without cringing in pain.

All of Sonic 4's songs felt like they were only 1/3 complete as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stardust Speedway is in, but they forgot the CD button on the elevator. smfh

Also, nice.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Augus posted:

Stardust Speedway is in, but they forgot the CD button on the elevator. smfh

it's cause you can only get there taking the stairs

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The boss desperation music has a 15 second loop.

Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

guys im really excited for sonic mania

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What a good rear end trailer. I'm going to watch it again right now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sonic mania......

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Doctor Eggman
Give me the news
I've got a bad case
Of Sonjc Mania

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SONIC

MANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Stairmaster posted:

SONIC

MANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:yeah:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

There's a song in Episode 2 that sounds like some eclectic clown bullshit and then hard drops into Twinkle Park at the end. I don't know why they did that because sampling a familiar melody, even if only doing it for 10 seconds, reminds me what actual music is supposed to sound like, but it also feels like you're trampling on Twinkle Park's good name. It's the same with how they use Stardust Speedway at the end, it's simultaneously a relief and sacrilegious. If Episode 2 had been all that came of Sonic 4 I feel like Sega would have a lot less to be ashamed of, but there's no defending the soundtrack.

Speaking of which, Stardust Speedway was one of a few stages in CD that had dope music on both soundtracks, I hope they give us a medley of both in Mania so everyone can be happy. I'm mostly Team JP/EU Soundtrack but Tidal Tempest US is way loving better.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 30, 2017

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
*dials phone*

Hello, inner child? Yeah it's me. You got to check this out dude. No man it's not like that time in 2006. It's.... it's happening.... no I'm not crying!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Splats I love the Mania team's deep cuts so much.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can't wait to be thoroughly disappointed by Sonic Mania. Oh boy, 2D levels I've played twenty years ago, what a loving treat. Wonderful, Sonic CD-inspired style, I loving love hideous clutter. Neat, potential cutscenes, because who doesn't love when the pace of the game is broken?

I think Sonic Generations was a fluke.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You hate reimagined or recreated levels but praise Sonic Generations.

Okay.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm crying

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You hate reimagined or recreated levels but praise Sonic Generations.

Okay.

Because they're completely updated, with modern graphics, music, and gameplay. You're autistic, not stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

loving classy reply there, fella.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because they're completely updated, with modern graphics, music, and gameplay. You're autistic, not stupid.

The remastered Mania levels will also have updated/modified graphics, music, and gameplay so that's not really a good reason.

Generations also had cutscenes between levels (Mania's look like they're going to be simple energetic little things, and much less obtrusive) and clutter (Generations has background elements that look identical to the actual ground you're supposed to stand on, I haven't seen anything like that in Mania).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can't wait to be thoroughly disappointed by Sonic Mania. Oh boy, 2D levels I've played twenty years ago, what a loving treat. Wonderful, Sonic CD-inspired style, I loving love hideous clutter. Neat, potential cutscenes, because who doesn't love when the pace of the game is broken?

This take is so hot it should be considered a war crime and punished accordingly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 2D gameplay will probably be good in Mania unlike Generations where it just felt like a waste.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Obligatory SI "post-username combo" post

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Ah yes, those fine modern graphics and gameplays, truly there is but one true nostalgia game. Get this 2D filth away from me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

none of the 3d sonics are good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Groovelord Neato posted:

none of the 3d sonics are good.

How does it feel to be objectively wrong?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wouldn't know.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

eat my rear end

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pigbuster posted:

The remastered Mania levels will also have updated/modified graphics, music, and gameplay so that's not really a good reason.

Generations also had cutscenes between levels (Mania's look like they're going to be simple energetic little things, and much less obtrusive) and clutter (Generations has background elements that look identical to the actual ground you're supposed to stand on, I haven't seen anything like that in Mania).

Generations wasn't perfect -- I hated the cringey cutscenes, and the 2D sections were not that good. But it was a modern game, while Mania is going the Megaman 9/10 route of trying to be the games we loved as kids, a move which failed for me in a big way.

We can't have our old games back. We loved them twenty years ago because that's all they had to offer back then, and to expect the same response to a game after twenty years is naive. I'll buy it when it comes out on the off chance I'm wrong, but from everything shown it looks like they're trying to sell my childhood back to me and nothing else.

Forces looks awful too, but at least it gives us the ability to play as Poochy before he dies on the way back to his home planet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Generations was a modern game with gameplay worse than the games that were made two decades ago

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Augus posted:

Generations was a modern game with gameplay worse than the games that were made two decades ago

You are welcome to feel that way and I agree that 2D modern gameplay is not as good as 2D gameplay from the 90's. However, I prefer modern 3D Sonic games and would like to see more of them without the gimmicks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

die in a hole!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by your posting in this thread you havent grown up in 20 years so good news

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generations is good.

Mania will probably be good.

It's great that the franchise has things for multiple people.

People who use people's neurological diagnoses as insults are the worst.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sonic mania is justice

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I am indeed the worst, but I wasn't insulting your condition, I was saying you're not dumb so you shouldn't pretend to misunderstand my point. I threw in the autism remark to remind you that I understand your condition isn't at fault either.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Screaming Idiot posted:

You are welcome to feel that way and I agree that 2D modern gameplay is not as good as 2D gameplay from the 90's. However, I prefer modern 3D Sonic games and would like to see more of them without the gimmicks.

3D Sonic games can't exist without gimmicks in the first place so you've got a paradox on your hands

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

I am indeed the worst, but I wasn't insulting your condition, I was saying you're not dumb so you shouldn't pretend to misunderstand my point. I threw in the autism remark to remind you that I understand your condition isn't at fault either.

I wasn't "pretending" to do anything. And no offense, but the way you put it made absolutely 0 % of that clear and it read completely the opposite way and I'm not sure how else I was supposed to take it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Macaluso posted:

3D Sonic games can't exist without gimmicks in the first place so you've got a paradox on your hands

My ideal Sonic game would be nothing but modern Sonic gameplay with no other chcharacteror gameplay modes and no perspective shifts. Basically a racing game with obstacles.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wasn't "pretending" to do anything. And no offense, but the way you put it made absolutely 0 % of that clear and it read completely the opposite way and I'm not sure how else I was supposed to take it.

It was my fault for phrasing it the way I did. I was originally going to say "don't be loving retarded" but caught myself at the last moment because A) "retarded" is a vile word to use on anybody and B) that would have seemed like I was conflating autism with that word and not only would that be inaccurate it would be incredibly, unforgivably insulting. As a person with a few autistic friends IRL, I wouldn't have felt right if I had done that.

So yeah, I didn't mean that part as an insult, but it came out that way.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Get with the times, "cuck" is the all-purpose mean internet word that means "whoever I don't like on the internet" now, autistic is so 2009