Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

dead comedy forums posted:

but the thing here is that it works for the Anglosphere/Nordic/Germanic audiences, but Latin language countries, for example, wouldn't get it since Wednesday would be Mercury's day (Miércoles/Mercredi/Mercoledi/etc) since the names come from the Roman traditions.

but then again the show is "American Gods" so ymmv

How do translations of the book handle that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
An interview from 2011 has Gaiman saying that American Gods 2 would be focused almost entirely on the new Gods. So now I'm suddenly MUCH more interested in it happening.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Toast Museum posted:

They...don't? If you are a nerd enough to know the origin of weekdays you probably know them both in your language and in english, so you'd still get it.

I'm also in camp totally missed the Low Key thing.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Toast Museum posted:

Am I seeing things, or was Mr. World going into and slightly out of focus during his scene, especially during closeups? That's a nice subtle visual cue that something's off with him.

It looked to me like they used image stabilization on him to make his face unnaturally immobile while all of the vibrations and movements of his body cause the screen to jitter instead. It's very subtle. They probably used the tip of his nose or some other part of his face as the tracking point.

The only other film I can think of that used this technique is one of the transformation sequences in Ang Lee's Hulk, where the frame is pinned on Eric Bana's pupils and remains locked on his eyes while he moves and writhes and turns into the Hulk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this! posted:

It was funny how Mr World couldn't stop himself from tipping his hand to Shadow by repeatedly asking him if they had met before.

Also casting two people as Mr World and Low Key makes sense because you just can't do the same thing as in a book where you have Mr World show up and just not mention what he looks like/have Shadow overhear him and then go "he sounded familiar but Shadow couldn't place it."

"I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY"

drat Mr. World being a little too obvious there aren't you :)

Choco1980 posted:

Oh, Loki has a lot of names. Not as many as Odin, but still quite a few. Skywalker, for instance.

Especially considering he met him in prison, should have called him Luke. Then Lowkey could have joked "you know, like Luke Skywalker! In the star war! Or Cool Hand Luke if you like."

Terror Sweat posted:

i forgot, what happens when a powerful god is murdered. does he just come back again later in a different form or something

Gods probably aren't able to die, as long as they have worship they should probably be able to like, "re-manifest".

Wednesday mentions that the doesn't mind dying, the only thing he doesn't want is to be forgotten. And then we see that gods who are no longer worshiped lose all connection to the real world and exist in a kind of limbo, and gods who are completely forgotten fade away entirely.

And his plan was to die at the end, and then get tons of worship. If gods can't come back after they die, that's a pretty Pyrrhic victory for Wednesday. I guess you could say he died but kept some worship so that's better than nothing, but I dunno. I think his plan was to get all that worship and then come back, and Shadow fucks up his plan so he doesn't come back.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 30, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Was the spider unlocking the handcuffs Anansi or another animal aide? I don't remember Odin having an affiliation with spiders, but I don't see Anansi hitching a ride in Wednesday's coattails just for the off-chance that he needs to get Wednesay out of trouble in some way. Also given Anansi's personality I wouldn't want to rely on a drat trickster god in a pinch. That's just asking for trouble.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

double nine posted:

Was the spider unlocking the handcuffs Anansi or another animal aide? I don't remember Odin having an affiliation with spiders, but I don't see Anansi hitching a ride in Wednesday's coattails just for the off-chance that he needs to get Wednesay out of trouble in some way. Also given Anansi's personality I wouldn't want to rely on a drat trickster god in a pinch. That's just asking for trouble.

He introduces the spider to Shadow as Mr. Nancy, doesn't he? It's definitely him

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

He introduces the spider to Shadow as Mr. Nancy, doesn't he? It's definitely him

I believe he just says "See that spider? It's an old friend". But there's only been one spider in the entire show so far, so I doubt it's supposed to be at all mysterious.

I'm wondering if the Bilquis scenes' purpose was to show that even the Old Gods can be just as selfish as the New ones. I mean she is just straight up murdering people to stay young/healthy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean we've seen Anansi as a colourful spider dude who has a thing for freeing people, concluding that the colourful spider that frees Shadow and Wednesday is Anansi is not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

precision posted:

I'm wondering if the Bilquis scenes' purpose was to show that even the Old Gods can be just as selfish as the New ones. I mean she is just straight up murdering people to stay young/healthy.

Probably. I'd maybe argue against it being straight up murder though... I mean, it is, technically, but everyone involved seemed pretty into it. That likely wouldn't stand up in a courtroom setting, of course

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They were doing this thing with Mr World in the close ups where they shot him with a handheld camera and then stabilized the shot around his face, so things look extra shimmy around him. It was a really good use of the technology.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

I think what Wednesday says is that they do die, and something like them but not them turns up after a while.

yeah im just wonderin what happens to technical boy

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Terror Sweat posted:

yeah im just wonderin what happens to technical boy

What if Startup Techbro is a new Technical Boy that replaced Matrix Goon Technical Boy sometime in the late 2000s?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

in Portuguese it is extra-special because Portugal was the only Christian nation to effectively abolish pagan naming for the days, so Wednesday is "Quarta-Feira", which in a literal translation means "fourth fair", based on medieval tradition of gathering around the square and such

my sister is reading it right now and she doesn't have a clue that he is the American aspect of Odin, but I think some translator notes will show up eventually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What if Startup Techbro is a new Technical Boy that replaced Matrix Goon Technical Boy sometime in the late 2000s?

That would be pretty cool!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

That likely wouldn't stand up in a courtroom setting, of course

No body, no crime?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

precision posted:

That would be pretty cool!

Matrix Goon died in the Dot Com crash, and Tech Bro was his rebirth

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

No body, no crime?

Theoretically, but she's a dark skinned immigrant, so she'd probably be doomed.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As the American revival of those immigrants who used to truly believe in the Queen of Sheba, Bilquis's actually a native-born citizen :viggo:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Mameluke posted:

As the American revival of those immigrants who used to truly believe in the Queen of Sheba, Bilquis's actually a native-born citizen :viggo:

Sadly, you can leave out the immigrant bit and my statement still applies :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mameluke posted:

:colbert: where's the long form

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
yeah, that was definitely Mr. Nancy that feed Wednesday. I have to imagine he had to ask him to somehow, and that was probably the worst part of the whole jail experience for him!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Clip of an upcoming god being introduced in episode 6

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mameluke posted:

I always figured she came over with the Christians and other Abrahamic traditions not from people actually worshipping her. Any worship of her as a god would died out hundreds of year before the believers had a chance to emigrate to America.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Someone earlier posted suggesting the same, and it seems extra possible since they changed the nature of the dude. In the book he was more of a dick who was using her as a prostitute, where in the show he was some kind old man just trying to get back into dating. They turned her into more of a predator, probably to let the audience know all the gods are playing for keeps and nothing is quite as simple as black and white.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

:perfect:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the only greco-roman god to be shown, then?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So far maybe, who knows? An interesting addition in any case. Looking forward to the next episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God of the NRA. Can I be the first to say yeeee-haaa?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I always figured she came over with the Christians and other Abrahamic traditions not from people actually worshipping her. Any worship of her as a god would died out hundreds of year before the believers had a chance to emigrate to America.

The book claims a lot of forgotten ancient migration.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

This loving rules

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dead comedy forums posted:

the only greco-roman god to be shown, then?

We'll see about the show, but yeah Gaiman said he avoided the Greek Pantheon because it was too well known, but he made an exception for Vulkan because apparently there was a lot of Vulkan related coins found in America somewhere or something like that, plus changing him to the god of guns makes pretty logical sense for America.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Zaphod42 posted:

We'll see about the show, but yeah Gaiman said he avoided the Greek Pantheon because it was too well known, but he made an exception for Vulkan because apparently there was a lot of Vulkan related coins found in America somewhere or something like that, plus changing him to the god of guns makes pretty logical sense for America.

It's not even really "changing" him. He's the God of Smithery. He built weapons, armor, hell, even ROBOTS back in the Greek and Roman myths, like constantly. The word isn't "Gunsmith" because it was a new idea, smithing guns is just the logical next step from smithing swords. He didn't stop making weapons, he just started making more modern ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone earlier posted suggesting the same, and it seems extra possible since they changed the nature of the dude. In the book he was more of a dick who was using her as a prostitute, where in the show he was some kind old man just trying to get back into dating. They turned her into more of a predator, probably to let the audience know all the gods are playing for keeps and nothing is quite as simple as black and white.

Yeah, I'm hesitantly taking back my accusations that those scenes were pointless. Just didn't keep the long con in mind, I guess :wink:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZN8vIRiDE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me they missed an opportunity to have Media say "So where is the spider?" :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

It's not even really "changing" him. He's the God of Smithery. He built weapons, armor, hell, even ROBOTS back in the Greek and Roman myths, like constantly. The word isn't "Gunsmith" because it was a new idea, smithing guns is just the logical next step from smithing swords. He didn't stop making weapons, he just started making more modern ones.

True, but the rest of his roles; armor, horseshoes, forges, etc. have pretty much lost all meaning in American worship, so its all guns guns guns for him now, was kinda my point.

The American gods are different from the original versions of them. Wednesday isn't quite a perfect Odin.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

weird, I remembered book Vulkan having reinvented himself as a god of cars/motorway accidents. I'm probably just mixing them up.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I could see him being the god of manufacturing in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

I could see him being the god of manufacturing in general

...that'd explain why he's on the decline at least. :downsrim:

• Locked thread