Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OKC ya bum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

okc. beirut was the 80s.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ben jealous is officially running for md governor

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

To elaborate: after Hillary lost my life fell apart and I went through a fairly major depressive period.

know that feel

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Turdfuzz posted:

*bzzzt*

what is this thread?

oh hey speaking of, if anyone is interested jeopardy is having their online candidate search today through thursday. you register at their website and take a 50 question quiz

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

To elaborate: after Hillary lost my life fell apart and I went through a fairly major depressive period. I really don't like her. I don't want her to run again and I don't agree with her on anything. I don't need to be reminded that Hillary Is Bad.

sorry to hear that. hope you're doing a little better noq

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

first, this wasn't a "false wsj claim," mello really did make lovely loving votes. the ban on telemedicine vote was a direct attack on poor, rural women without the means to drive to a city and get to an abortion clinic. and he voted to ban insurance from covering abortion in the state of nebraska. so stop calling it "lies," these are actual things he did. he LATER, *after* the controversy, promised he wouldn't do anything to restrict abortion in omaha. it's great that he shifted on this but let's not make excuses for his lovely votes solely based on bernie's blessing. i would rather he had won but i would imagine many people itt wouldn't be so big on mello if he had cast votes against, say, minimum wage instead.

the WSJ's claims were false, and NARAL sourced them. sorry, but WSJ twisted his lovely positions way further, claiming that he voted for a bill forcing mothers to look at an ultrasound of their fetus before they could get an abortion. please stop trying to pretend that the attacks on mello were fair or well sourced

quote:

second, it's not all about bernie. ilyse's tweetstorm even calls out tom perez directly. this was not about bernie sanders, it was about naral demanding the dem party push pro-choice candidates.

here is the tweetstorm:

https://twitter.com/ilyseh/status/854861723857076224

yeah no, i already demonstrated that WSJ invented the issue and NARAL jumped right in before they checked the facts. if NARAL was going to make a principled stand on abortion rights, attacking mello based off rightwing lies doesn't make a lot of sense. it does make sense though if you're trying to smear bernie sanders as anti-woman and sexist! which is how it was discussed at the time!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the wtc got attacked by a car bomb in a parking garage during the clinton years

Venom Snake posted:

To elaborate: after Hillary lost my life fell apart and I went through a fairly major depressive period. I really don't like her. I don't want her to run again and I don't agree with her on anything. I don't need to be reminded that Hillary Is Bad.

sorry to hear man. thankfully you're young so it's not as hard to pick up after your life falls apart. hope you're doing better now

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

the WSJ's claims were false, and NARAL sourced them. sorry, but WSJ twisted his lovely positions way further, claiming that he voted for a bill forcing mothers to look at an ultrasound of their fetus before they could get an abortion. please stop trying to pretend that the attacks on mello were fair or well sourced

did he vote to require women to be at the clinic in order to take a pill? did he vote to ban abortion from insurance coverage in nebraska? did he vote for a 20 week abortion ban? do these not restrict abortion? where's the lie there?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ben jealous is officially running for md governor

can't wait for David Brock to find some quote from him that's vaguely anti-Semitic

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Condiv posted:

the CUM's claims were false, and CUM sourced them. sorry, but CUM twisted his lovely positions way further, claiming that he voted for a bill forcing mothers to look at an ultrasound of their fetus before they could get an abortion. please stop trying to pretend that the attacks on mello were fair or well sourced

yeah no, i already demonstrated that CUM invented the issue and CUM jumped right in before they checked the facts. if CUM was going to make a principled stand on abortion rights, attacking mello based off rightwing lies doesn't make a lot of sense. it does make sense though if you're trying to smear bernie sanders as anti-woman and sexist! which is how it was discussed at the time!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Main Paineframe posted:

that question is a very important question to ask if you want to actually implement a single-payer system, rather than just pass a feel-good law saying someone should totally do it sometime later

in another state, the answer to that question would be "just raise taxes, dummy" but raising taxes is essentially unconstitutional in California

maybe the guy is actually against single-payer but you're doing a real piss-poor job of showing it

Your mask is slipping

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

but her emails

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

butter emails

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

did he vote to require women to be at the clinic in order to take a pill? did he vote to ban abortion from insurance coverage in nebraska? did he vote for a 20 week abortion ban? do these not restrict abortion? where's the lie there?

i already told you what the lie was. it's embedded in the WSJ article the tweetstorm u linked at me starts with. Why are you being obtuse in order to defend your position? NARAL didn't attack him on those flaws, they attacked him on a bill “requiring women to look at an ultrasound image of their fetus before receiving an abortion.”, which the WSJ reported on.

i mean, i get not liking mello cause he's pro-life. i didn't like kaine much either, and he worried me more since he was gunning for veep. but mello was running for mayor of a town, and i doubt he would have been able to work his anti-abortion magics well there. moreso, his opponent was very obviously even more anti-choice than he was. so sinking him based on WSJ lies doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 23:44 on May 30, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/stevenmaviglio/status/869197199900528640

What a true leftist like Tom Perez who I am fine with being DNC Chair but always had problems with Keith Ellison

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/AP/status/869684895009865728

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

sorry to hear that. hope you're doing a little better noq

I am

Lessail posted:

https://twitter.com/stevenmaviglio/status/869197199900528640

What a true leftist like Tom Perez who I am fine with being DNC Chair but always had problems with Keith Ellison

nobody cares what steven maviglio thinks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Venom Snake posted:

I am

except the cali dem party, who've hired him as their spokesperson

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

I am

I'm glad you're finally revealing your true position by calling the left nobody

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a rule of thumb the people who you should care most about is elected representatives. What they think actually has consequences. If you want to scream at moronic party officials there is a never ending supply of idiots with a platform to speak from and no real power. Its been said earlier up thread but if you can get elected reps on board with single payer nobody gives a crap what party officials think at all

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lessail posted:

I'm glad you're finally revealing your true position by calling the left nobody

"True position" what in the world on you on about?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the voting populace are solely responsible for what the people they elect do lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

except the cali dem party, who've hired him as their spokesperson

See:

Venom Snake posted:

As a rule of thumb the people who you should care most about is elected representatives. What they think actually has consequences. If you want to scream at moronic party officials there is a never ending supply of idiots with a platform to speak from and no real power. Its been said earlier up thread but if you can get elected reps on board with single payer nobody gives a crap what party officials think at all

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

i already told you what the lie was. it's embedded in the WSJ article the tweetstorm u linked at me starts with. Why are you being obtuse in order to defend your position? NARAL didn't attack him on those flaws, they attacked him on a bill “requiring women to look at an ultrasound image of their fetus before receiving an abortion.”, which the WSJ reported on.

i mean, i get not liking mello cause he's pro-life. i didn't like kaine much either, and he worried me more since he was gunning for veep. but mello was running for mayor of a town, and i doubt he would have been able to work his anti-abortion magics well there. moreso, his opponent was very obviously even more anti-choice than he was. so sinking him based on WSJ lies doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

naral attacked him for a series of anti-choice votes, not just the the one bill. you can see the statement here: https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/2017/04/20/naral-statement-dnc-chair-perez-senator-sanders-embracing-anti-choice-candidate-nebraska-today/ - notice the word ULTRASOUND does not appear in the statement, and that it calls out both perez and bernie.

i'm sorry but the defense of "well he actually co-sponsored the compromise anti-choice bill that let women opt out of looking at the ultrasound instead of the REALLY bad anti-choice bill that didn't" is a really weak defense of someone with a record of voting for bills that restrict women's access to legal abortion services. at this point i don't know if you're even arguing honestly here or trolling me as you're just straight up stubbornly ignoring the forest for the trees when it comes to mello's overall anti-choice record.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

we're using steven maviglio as a window into those elected representative's viewpoints, so we care what he says cause it's almost certainly what they think

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

At what point do we demand basic things like single-payer and police accountability or maybe saying that being funded by insurance lobbyists, or pay-day loans is bad without it being called "party purity."

You demand it in blue districts. I'd be a lot less pissed at Pelosi if she was representing Omaha than fuckin San Fran

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

we're using steven maviglio as a window into those elected representative's viewpoints, so we care what he says cause it's almost certainly what they think

I think your assuming a lot about how unified democrats generally are ideologically. If you asked 100 different state reps you would probably get varied answers with far more nuance and thought than Steve Spaghettio's screeching on twitter. There really isn't much to discuss about it (It being Steve) other than; yes Steve is bad and whoever hired him is an idiot.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
thinking steve maviglio is a bad hire is fine, thinking steve maviglio's hire means eric bauman is anti-single payer is perhaps... wsj-esque?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

naral attacked him for a series of anti-choice votes, not just the the one bill. you can see the statement here: https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/2017/04/20/naral-statement-dnc-chair-perez-senator-sanders-embracing-anti-choice-candidate-nebraska-today/ - notice the word ULTRASOUND does not appear in the statement, and that it calls out both perez and bernie.

i'm sorry but the defense of "well he actually co-sponsored the compromise anti-choice bill that let women opt out of looking at the ultrasound instead of the REALLY bad anti-choice bill that didn't" is a really weak defense of someone with a record of voting for bills that restrict women's access to legal abortion services. at this point i don't know if you're even arguing honestly here or trolling me as you're just straight up stubbornly ignoring the forest for the trees when it comes to mello's overall anti-choice record.

the text of that press release is the same as that twitter storm, which, once again, sourced the false WSJ story. you can't make the argument she was arguing from a position of knowledge when she's sourcing lies. also, i don't think mello's anti-choice record counts for much when he's running for mayor of a red state town and is considerably less anti-choice than his opponent.

you know, the exact same argument you and others have used to say that ossoff should be supported even though he's not very progressive. cause him in office is better than a republican in office. problem is, i've made that argument consistently for both mello and ossoff, while you think it's ok for some reason for NARAL to sink dems in order to maintain their influence. do you think it would be more prudent for bernie and progressive dems to start laying in to what a capitalist sack of poo poo ossoff is? if not, why mello?

Condiv has issued a correction as of 00:05 on May 31, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Venom Snake posted:

I think your assuming a lot about how unified democrats generally are ideologically. If you asked 100 different state reps you would probably get varied answers with far more nuance and thought than Steve Spaghettio's screeching on twitter. There really isn't much to discuss about it (It being Steve) other than; yes Steve is bad and whoever hired him is an idiot.

i'm specifically referring to bauman, the new dem party chair. he's the entire reason i brought up those maviglio tweets after all.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Condiv posted:

basically naral stuck their nose in after dems bought wholesale lies from the WSJ about one of their own candidates. and the reason dems didn't bother to take a jaundiced look at WSJ sourced claims was cause they made a guy bernie supported look bad

Golly that sure is awful that people bought a smear from a right wing publication because it confirmed biases

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"implicitly" doing a lot of work here

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/869690290675699712

it was removed from the platform in 1980 to spite Ted Kennedy and never added back

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jBrereton posted:

OKC ya bum!

oh, didnt know there was a truck involved in that

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

i'm specifically referring to bauman, the new dem party chair. he's the entire reason i brought up those maviglio tweets after all.

I really hate to sound like a broken record here but your assuming that state party > reps when its reps > state party. Unseating Bad Dems in the state party is important but ultimately the actual power lay mostly in the hands of the people who vote on things. Bauman can throw as many temper tantrums as he wants but if people go to the polls to vote for someone who likes single payer he doesn't have power to stop that.

This discussion is mostly academic of course since we are all pretty much in agreement.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

the text of that press release is the same as that twitter storm, which, once again, sourced the false WSJ story. also, i don't think mello's anti-choice record counts for much when he's running for mayor of a red state town and is considerably less anti-choice than his opponent.

you know, the exact same argument you and others have used to say that ossoff should be supported even though he's not very progressive. cause him in office is better than a republican in office. problem is, i've made that argument consistently for both mello and ossoff, while you think it's ok for some reason for NARAL to sink deno, ms in order to maintain their influence. do you think it would be more prudent for bernie and progressive dems to start laying in to what a capitalist sack of poo poo ossoff is? if not, why mello?

of course i wasn't in favor of naral sinking mello. i wanted mello to win. i support democrats and democratic candidates, and i dislike prominent progressive organizations/candidates going to war with each other. that doesn't mean i'm going to pretend like mello's votes were defensible - they weren't. same as if, say, manchin made an anti-choice vote - i may want him to win over a republican, but it doesn't mean that was a tolerable vote that i'm not allowed to be angry about.

naral is an issue organization, and their job is to relentlessly promote that issue. when they hit mello, they achieved that at the expense of the people of omaha. that was bad, even if they very successfully accomplishedd their goal. i also think perez made a mistake conceding to them with a dumb as hell statement about how the dnc will only support pro-choice candidates.

where i dispute is that this had to do with bernie. it didn't, it was about naral asserting itself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

first, this wasn't a "false wsj claim," mello really did make lovely loving votes. the ban on telemedicine vote was a direct attack on poor, rural women without the means to drive to a city and get to an abortion clinic. and he voted to ban insurance from covering abortion in the state of nebraska. so stop calling it "lies," these are actual things he did. he LATER, *after* the controversy, promised he wouldn't do anything to restrict abortion in omaha. it's great that he shifted on this but let's not make excuses for his lovely votes solely based on bernie's blessing. i would rather he had won but i would imagine many people itt wouldn't be so big on mello if he had cast votes against, say, minimum wage instead.

second, it's not all about bernie. ilyse's tweetstorm even calls out tom perez directly. this was not about bernie sanders, it was about naral demanding the dem party push pro-choice candidates.

here is the tweetstorm:

https://twitter.com/ilyseh/status/854861723857076224

it's absolutely about attacking bernie (in part)

but it's naral's job to do attacks if they think theyre called for

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 00:15 on May 31, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

it's absolutely about attacking bernie

oh ok

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

of course i wasn't in favor of naral sinking mello. i wanted mello to win. i support democrats and democratic candidates, and i dislike prominent progressive organizations/candidates going to war with each other. that doesn't mean i'm going to pretend like mello's votes were defensible - they weren't. same as if, say, manchin made an anti-choice vote - i may want him to win over a republican, but it doesn't mean that was a tolerable vote that i'm not allowed to be angry about.

naral is an issue organization, and their job is to relentlessly promote that issue. when they hit mello, they achieved that at the expense of the people of omaha. that was bad, even if they very successfully accomplishedd their goal. i also think perez made a mistake conceding to them with a dumb as hell statement about how the dnc will only support pro-choice candidates.

where i dispute is that this had to do with bernie. it didn't, it was about naral asserting itself.

i personally don't care if you like or hate mello cause of his abortion stances. his anti-choice positions give me pause too, but i don't consider it to be a big enough issue to not vote for him over a much worse republican.

what i don't get is how you can claim the mello kerfluffle was all about naral when i've already showed that naral injected itself (foolishly) into an already running issue. you can claim naral didn't attack mello to hurt bernie, but i didn't claim it was specifically naral gunning for bernie anyway. the mello abortion issue was created, and perpetuated to attack bernie, and i think that's why perez leapt on it so quickly. as i said, i think it was originally created by the right wing as a wedge, but the dem establishment decided they liked that wedge and put it to use themselves and showered mello's campaign with terrible national attention for a couple of weeks. NARAL didn't cause the issue to blow up for weeks, the dems did.

bernie is really obviously a thorn in the establishment's side, and trying to tear him down as anti-abortion was just another note of the "bernie and his bros hate all women!" song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

his name is right there in the tweet, listed first, dude

• Locked thread