Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Use beacons. I'm having a good time on this playthrough using beacons to mark everything of interest. Every visited wreck gets a beacon. Mountain, floating island, jellyshroom cave entrance.

It's a copper investment but I enjoy it a lot more than using a map. Sometimes I feel lost and have no idea which side of the map I'm on after wandering a bit. That's an exciting feeling.

I used to use maps on old play through a on old builds. I now feel like I was missing out by doing so.

Meanwhile, I don't regret checking the maps because it turns out my early playthroughs had me constantly driving just outside of draw distance of the island for a hell of a long time. Swimming past notable wrecks because of draw distance. Etc.

I love beacons, and I am super glad there are now UI options for beacons. But you can hardly use them to mark locations you've been skirting right past constantly, as well as you can use them to mark the old stomping grounds and variations on replays. Hell, I wouldn't even need a beacon for many types of entryways now if not for draw distance. Like looking for the big crevices that lead down into brightly lit mushroom biome area to leave for way too long. "Am I there yet? Am I there yet? Is THIS patch of pitch black ceiling it? Am I there yet-Oh there's we go, I can see it's daytime up there now that I'm close enough."

It makes way more sense when I'm using beacons to mark stuff like a cave entrance obscured by a wreck for later exploration. But it feels drat silly when you also end up needing to use it to mark off stuff you could only miss because it hasn't rendered yet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Got my lava base ready. Going to do some exploring down here for the first time since a couple special things we're added.

4 Image Album

Looks good in the scanner room.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Plek posted:

So I have a bug where when I load into the game, my seamoth's crush depth is 200m regardless of the compensator upgrade that I have installed. I have to take it out and put it back in to reset the proper depth. This is an unfortunately surprise when you are at 900m below and your seamoth is inside the cyclops. I am hoping it doesn't happen when the seamoth is outside of the cyclops, because the drat thing would pop before I can even load into the game I think.

Its a crappy bug to be sure, I'm sure it will be fixed before 1.0. I think it only effects stuff thats docked as I haven't had something just explode on a load. I might be wrong.

One thing to note is if a docked Seamoth/Prawn is below crush depth it will tell you this when you hover over it. I have a base below 200m and I have to be pretty diligent checking my seamoth and that warning really helps. If it happens in a cyclops it could be an issue as I don't believe you can access the upgrades while its docked but you might have enough time to switch it once its undocked.

Also have a fun bug. No Water.

apologies for the lovely quality

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A bug happened and my cat poster disappeared forever... :negative:

Why even go on with this base...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Digirat posted:

Just hang in... oh. :smith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Digirat posted:

hit F3

enable console

~ to open console

item posterkitty

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like if you loose the cat poster, you can totally be justified in cheating it back in.

A more streamlined story would be nice, as i'm just floundering around looking for stuff and have no guidance right now. Honestly without Hicks in Space i'd have no idea what to do after i got the Auroura meet up point.

Speaking of that, latest episode went up yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtxdpek43I

EDIT: I'm going to have to build a second base near the lava fields, once i find them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well I've given the cyclops a fair shake after the update and can safely say the changes are dumb as poo poo. The thing offers you access to some limited base functions while away from a base (storage and fabricator basically) and the ability to go deeper than the seamoth, and just about nothing else. Otherwise it's a brick you have to babysit constantly because tiny little sharks want to (and are somehow able to) headbutt its massive plasteel hull apart anytime you aren't in the Invincible But Boring mode where you move at literally 3 m/s.

It's already a huge pain to navigate around any kind of complex geography, and when using the cameras you don't have access to any of the other controls but to exit the cams you have to exit the controls entirely. So making random-rear end creatures arbitrarily hostile to it adds nothing but tedium and I am dreading having to get it down into the river/lava zone and then back out. I'm also getting really worried about the devs' priorities when the river zone had the most atrocious performance I've seen anywhere yet, before I noticed most of my base pointlessly rendering at infinite distance on the way back (those pixels next to the beacon are base).

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Digirat posted:

when using the cameras you don't have access to any of the other controls but to exit the cams you have to exit the controls entirely.

Press ESC. You'll exit camera mode but stay in "the driver's seat".

Although I haven't played since the last patch so that may have changed...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nice, I probably just never thought to try that since esc opens the pause menu in the inventory and other UIs.

Anyway I did a quick scan of the game's trello and did not see much about performance/optimization, besides something about "Revive performance testing" in the backlog. I hope I'm just missing something because this badly needs to be on the devs' radar unless they really only want to target extremely high end systems.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xik posted:

Press ESC. You'll exit camera mode but stay in "the driver's seat".

Although I haven't played since the last patch so that may have changed...

:o

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a extremely high end system, it's still unplayable eventually as the game accumulates more gunk in the gears.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dongattack posted:

I have a extremely high end system, it's still unplayable eventually as the game accumulates more gunk in the gears.

Likewise. Or whenever the physics bug out.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Base looks super sweet, don't get me wrong, but what can a person even do with all this space?

My architectural dreams are in a constant tug of war between the part of my brain that wants a big, beautiful mega-complex and the part that wants everything to be as compact as possible. Inevitably, a point is reached where I simply have all the multipurpose rooms I can justify. So I end up with a string of modest-sized bases instead of a really nice one.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Multiple bases are awesome and the fact that the game doesnt require you to construct them for safety/scanning/power purposes is a pretty big miss imo

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dylguy90 posted:

Multiple bases are awesome and the fact that the game doesnt require you to construct them for safety/scanning/power purposes is a pretty big miss imo

They're gonna get a nice shot in the rear end now that the cyclops doesn't have infinite energy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

7c Nickel posted:

They're gonna get a nice shot in the rear end now that the cyclops doesn't have infinite energy.

Yup. More sitting around waiting for things to recharge rather than exploring. How exciting!

Though lava land wise, I suppose you can always busywork yourself with a thermal powered Exosuit and shuffle batteries around :geno:

Mechanical Ape posted:

Base looks super sweet, don't get me wrong, but what can a person even do with all this space?

My architectural dreams are in a constant tug of war between the part of my brain that wants a big, beautiful mega-complex and the part that wants everything to be as compact as possible. Inevitably, a point is reached where I simply have all the multipurpose rooms I can justify. So I end up with a string of modest-sized bases instead of a really nice one.

Mini towers linked by hallways is how I liked to do that. It also lets me split up fish populations that way, like with a 5 MP room tall tower with 2/1/2 for Containment with a bioreactor in the middle.

Honestly the hardest part of multi floor building is ladder planning. It wouldn't be so bad if wall ladders are just so awkward to walk around if you also want a hallway leading in that direction (And ladders IN hallways are a real ballbuster for flow). Really wish we could also put ladders at those "corners" of the rooms too.

Entering and leaving the base itself at least is made easier, due to being allowed to put hatches on the diagonal parts of MP rooms. So I always put my hatches at the same "side", for consistency and orientation reasons when you get turned around climbing a bunch of ladders.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 30, 2017

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
So I'm just about to add some more depth mods to the Prawn suit and head down to the lava zone now that I've explored the research facility in the Lost River. How close am I to reaching the end of the current story content? And how much more is there still to add?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Two more precursor facilities. One in the inactive lava zone. One in the active lava zone. I think the latter is unfinished so that's where the story currently ends.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Errrm, public service announcement: don't take your cyclops into the inactive lava zone, or at least not into its central chamber. It doesn't end well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

Errrm, public service announcement: don't take your cyclops into the inactive lava zone, or at least not into its central chamber. It doesn't end well.

Did you go in there full speed or on silent running? Just curious. Been experimenting with silent running on experimental a bit and it seems to not work too well against the bigger beasts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mechanical Ape posted:

You can have a base that surrounds a geyser on an underwater platform! Half of which you will never use, and which may or may not be actually be reachable with the prawn suit!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, I’ve forgotten how finicky item placement can be even when attempting simple symmetry. Like how given four corners of hatches against the MP room walls, The Northish and Eastish sides let me put wall lockers on the walls right by the railings. But the south side will only let me put one on the left, and the west side will only let me put one on the right.

So on and so forth with trying to place things like you would in one side of the base, only to find it’s much more finicky about placement on the seemingly identical area because ??? At least these days you can rotate most interior items though... And it seems now I can place everything from wall lockers to battery chargers onto ladders, Which I can't get mad at :allears: The main reason I remember placing medkits on ladders in the past was walls being finicky in certain patches even when nothing was on the wall.

Of course, performance often feels worse than in the far past rather than better. Which is frustrating considering I had a worse video card when I first bought this game.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 31, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I just loaded up after more than a year and this game is somehow worse going from a nvidia 750 to a 980 and a cpu upgrade of a similar jump lol. I dont really care if they push off optimizing till its done but im starting to have doubts its even possible. The draw distance seems worse than i remembered too. It wouldn't be so bad if they covered it up with environmental effects but lol that would tank the hell out of the already miserable performance.

Last time i gave it a shot i quit becuase i was loving it and i didnt want to burn out. I gotta say this is the first time my mantra of only buy early access if you are ok with all development stopping now has bitten me in the rear end. I never considered that continued and diligent development would ruin the game lol.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

I just loaded up after more than a year and this game is somehow worse going from a nvidia 750 to a 980 and a cpu upgrade of a similar jump lol. I dont really care if they push off optimizing till its done but im starting to have doubts its even possible. The draw distance seems worse than i remembered too. It wouldn't be so bad if they covered it up with environmental effects but lol that would tank the hell out of the already miserable performance.

Last time i gave it a shot i quit becuase i was loving it and i didnt want to burn out. I gotta say this is the first time my mantra of only buy early access if you are ok with all development stopping now has bitten me in the rear end. I never considered that continued and diligent development would ruin the game lol.

This Dev team has a habit of doing things the professional way. All all the content is going to be put in first before they move to optimization just before official release.

Course, Natural-Selection 2 was built on an in-house engine so we'll see if Charlie and his team can eek out some improvements on this one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I built a second base near the the Lost River entrances near some thermal vents. I feel really dumb bceause I was shuttling resources from my main base to this one using the seamoth, forgetting that the Cyclops has a ton of storage in it.

I really wish I could figure out where I can get an orange artifact I need to get into the lost river base.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I built a second base near the the Lost River entrances near some thermal vents. I feel really dumb bceause I was shuttling resources from my main base to this one using the seamoth, forgetting that the Cyclops has a ton of storage in it.

I really wish I could figure out where I can get an orange artifact I need to get into the lost river base.

It's on a desk.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm looking for something new and fun to play that will take up a lot of time. Just hoping for something immersive and enjoyable with a good story and that brings you back hour after hour. This is out on Xbox now and I was wondering about it. You all seem to be having fun? How does this game fare with the hopes above?

Is it hard to figure out? I have never had much luck with survival games. Like, I died in The Long Dark so quickly and couldn't figure poo poo out. Maybe Everspace is a good option as well?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm looking for something new and fun to play that will take up a lot of time. Just hoping for something immersive and enjoyable with a good story and that brings you back hour after hour. This is out on Xbox now and I was wondering about it. You all seem to be having fun? How does this game fare with the hopes above?

Is it hard to figure out? I have never had much luck with survival games. Like, I died in The Long Dark so quickly and couldn't figure poo poo out. Maybe Everspace is a good option as well?

Fun, yes. Take up a lot of time? Maybe, depending on how much you like building bases. Immersive and enjoyable, yes. Good story, not really (yet, anyway). It's not very hard. It's much different than The Long Dark, not anywhere near as unforgiving.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game is pretty good about being self explanatory IMO. It has very little unnecessary complication and progression flows pretty logically, where you don't need to make any huge mental leaps to figure out how to get better stuff. I do think there is some unnecessary tedium, but that's a different issue. It's not incredibly hard to stay alive, and survival is more about preparation than anything else.

But unless the xbox version runs really well compared to PC for whatever reason, I would hold off until the devs address the game's crippling performance issues. This is not like grim dawn was in early access--you will not forget that subnautica is in early access while you're playing it right now.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Thor-Stryker posted:

This Dev team has a habit of doing things the professional way. All all the content is going to be put in first before they move to optimization just before official release.

Course, Natural-Selection 2 was built on an in-house engine so we'll see if Charlie and his team can eek out some improvements on this one.

It also took them what, 3 years? To get the performance issues tamped down.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Since its early access i think xbox does a time limited trial of the full game so its worth a shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Demiurge4 posted:

It's on a desk.

A desk where? I assume one of the older bases, I've only found the 3 ones on the island and the one where the coffee maker is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You could check the wiki.

Deep Grand Reef Abandoned Seabase on a desk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zesty posted:

You could check the wiki.

Deep Grand Reef Abandoned Seabase on a desk

I felt really dumb because I'd already explored that base. Completely missed the entire section of the base. At least this time I have the electric discharge so I can get rid of the crabsquids.

Steam recomends me other ocean based survival games, specially Landless and Stranded Deep. Worth checking out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nah.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So.... they made the cyclops vulnerable for "challenge" but made that challenge mostly annoyance and the strategy for getting around it boredom. Sweet.

They fixed the pop in yet? Can I still outmaneuver every single predator AI in the game?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Did you go in there full speed or on silent running? Just curious. Been experimenting with silent running on experimental a bit and it seems to not work too well against the bigger beasts.

ehh, been a while, I think I went ahead full. Got mauled by the sandshark-sized enemies first, and then ... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dyz posted:

So.... they made the cyclops vulnerable for "challenge" but made that challenge mostly annoyance and the strategy for getting around it boredom. Sweet.

They fixed the pop in yet? Can I still outmaneuver every single predator AI in the game?
Longstanding performance issues everybody sane wants fixed are harder work than reinventing the submarine from the ground up to please the sandbox hardcores :pseudo:

Okay, so it probably is legitimately harder to unfuck this game's performance issues than adding new game mechanics wholesale. No matter how often it's claimed "We planned it the whole time!". But still.

You can still outmaneuver most normal predators with the Seamoth okay. But the Warpers like to just teleport you out of your vehicle these days. PS, they are immune to the stun rifle, enjoy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 8, 2017