Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing it then.

By the way, I still haven't gotten the handle on the plot? I guess plot happened in the 3rd stratum, but the 5th stratum boss has always been plot important in some way, in every EO game before, being the final boss and all. The 4th and 5th stratum is also where the plot usually kicks into high gear, but it hasn't happened yet? Or maybe it has and died down, like 3rd stratum.

I mean, finding space biodome is a pretty great thing, but then again, making any discovery is pretty great thing.

The Undead King stuff has nothing to do with the girl we keep running into. We won't really know what her full deal is until the door to the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The way I see it, the Undead King was the boss of the human section of the Labyrinth. The third stratum is the furthest anyone had gotten, historically, and all three of the lower Labyrinths were deeply connected to human history. The Golem was a security system built by Lunarians, the Mammoth was a war animal who'd gone feral, and the entire third stratum was an ancient battlefield. Almost all the enemies you fought there were dead soldiers from that war, and the boss was ultimately just a guy who stole something and ran away. These are all things that Remus knows about, and serve mostly to show how long people have been doing this whole Labyrinth thing.

Once you get to the fourth stratum though, you're beyond human history. You're a pioneer, seeing things no one's seen before. It's basically a new arc, and there are no more clues from history to guide you. Remus is limited to just cheering you on from back home. The only real plot in these sections is the mysterious girl being mysterious at you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I suppose it's also worth noting that your entire journey has been narrated by the mysterious girl. She's the voice of stratum intro movies, so she's there right from the very first time you enter the first stratum.

Maybe this is edging into spoiler territory, but the implication is that she's been watching everyone do this for a long time now. She's an "observer" tracking people's progress through Yggdrasil. She just showed herself to you once you'd gotten further than anyone before.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 27, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 34. Insert some joke about John Romero here.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I want to domesticate calamity inviting plague and have them as pets!

Apparently the artbook notes say he was supposed to have balls hanging from his crotch, but they took it out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, it says that they do have giant balls hanging down there, and encourages you to confirm it for yourself.

It's also labeled as Xenolion.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Clarste posted:

No, it says that they do have giant balls hanging down there, and encourages you to confirm it for yourself.

It's also labeled as Xenolion.

Xenolion is the pallete swap version that I cropped out because I assumed it would be a spoiler. Do you encounter them later?
Also I thought it said the balls were removed because it said NGも無く通りました。doesn't NG mean "no good"?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

juicedup posted:

Xenolion is the pallete swap version that I cropped out because I assumed it would be a spoiler. Do you encounter them later?
Also I thought it said the balls were removed because it said NGも無く通りました。doesn't NG mean "no good"?

Yes, that's what NG means (especially in the context of "not allowed"), but he's playfully saying that did it anyway. In this case NGも無く means "without NG". Pretty sure. In its full context it's even clearer that he's pretending they exist.

It's a joke, if that wasn't clear.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Out of all the topics I expected to see in an EO thread, the existence or non-existence of a pair of brass on an FOE was not one I was expecting to see.

I really did like the main gimmick for the 5th Stratum despite it being a reskinned ice floor gimmick.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It works a bit differently from ice, for a variety of reasons. ...But it's mostly ice.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

juicedup posted:

I want to domesticate calamity inviting plague and have them as pets!

Apparently the artbook notes say he was supposed to have balls hanging from his crotch, but they took it out.

Oh, did Atlus publish a full artbook, finally? Or is that just an excerpt from the one that came with pre-orders?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
That's from the artbook that came with the special edition, yes.
I ripped it up and scanned it. The first couple of pages are shoddy, because I didn't know what I was doing. Unbinding it was a huge pain. Physically and emotionally.
There are tons of cut content that I wish we got. I wish I could translate it all for everyone but my Japanese isn't very good.
Here's a link to the imgur album. https://imgur.com/a/PJOEa
Feel free to use it, with due credit

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Soleil and Melina's preliminary designs are 100% better than the designs we actually got and if you disagree you can fight me

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just glancing at it so far, it seems Therians were originally orcs. There's a picture that says:
  • Man(tank): Protector/Fencer
  • Elf(magi): Gunner/Warlock
  • Orc(Atk): Bushido/Barbarian
  • [Redacted](Heal): Medic/Herbalist

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

juicedup posted:

That's from the artbook that came with the special edition, yes.
I ripped it up and scanned it. The first couple of pages are shoddy, because I didn't know what I was doing. Unbinding it was a huge pain. Physically and emotionally.
There are tons of cut content that I wish we got. I wish I could translate it all for everyone but my Japanese isn't very good.
Here's a link to the imgur album. https://imgur.com/a/PJOEa
Feel free to use it, with due credit

Fair warning for anyone that wants to look at this: this contains spoilers for a load of stuff, including the 6th Stratum's visual design and all of the upcoming bosses! Please avoid discussing those in this thread until we've seen them in-game.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Powerful rumps.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I dislike the scent of coriander. It's so strong. I know a lot of people like it, and it's one of those herbs prized for its smell, but I really don't like it.

Also that evil squirrel is back, deny it pets! Of all the things to bring back it was the evil squirrel!

...wait, we've been fighting squirrels for quite a while now. ...uhh... but still! This one was eviler than all those other evils.

So the gimmick is zero gravity travel. Well, it is space gotta have gravity stuff, right.

I'm also seriously curious about the space bio ring.

The appearances of the stratum especially the ones with advanced structures always make me curious. Who made them, why, how did they get this way.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's a thing I had Clarste translate, out of curiosity:

I'd post some of Himukai's commentary on character designs, but he tends to be a bit...weird.

(One of his methods of describing Genetta was saying she has "huge tits"--by writing "huge tits" backwards.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
They aren't even that big. Also Soleil and Lily are super gay.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

...to be honest, carrying someone is really hard work. It's really hard.

You get tired so quickly, and your arms start to hurt.

:(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Are you a level 60 adventurer? I think you aren't.

Edit: Also, yes, Soleil and Lily are super gay.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Clarste posted:

Are you a level 60 adventurer? I think you aren't.

Wow, rude.

...I'm probably a level 1 villager or something.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Who carries the coffins?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They go into the inventory when unequipped.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how do you get up to 5 levels of Flame Sword Chaos Blade? Some class ability that doubles the bonus from one sword?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

So how do you get up to 5 levels of Flame Sword Chaos Blade? Some class ability that doubles the bonus from one sword?

Don't you just upgrade it? Your weapon, I mean.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Yeah, you just forge weapons to get levels of equipment skills.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hi uh the next update's not ready yet but

http://atlus.com/test-slider-approval-page-qwerty54658798/

EO5's hitting the US this Fall!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a game announcement in a good while.

Just a few months until I get to try out all my silly party ideas!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Finally, christ.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Do you think the LP will be done by the time it's released?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Do you think the LP will be done by the time it's released?

I'm certainly angling for that. Ideally I want to be done with the main story by the end of this month, and assuming no terrible July/August stallout like what happened in EO2U, I'd want to be done with the whole thing by August/September.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

Just glancing at it so far, it seems Therians were originally orcs. There's a picture that says:
  • Man(tank): Protector/Fencer
  • Elf(magi): Gunner/Warlock
  • Orc(Atk): Bushido/Barbarian
  • [Redacted](Heal): Medic/Herbalist

The redacted bit is weird
Wonder if it said "Hobbit" or something similar with potential copyright problems?

I remember seeing some other concept art where the Therians were called Martians and there was a 5th race

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Uh, this link is 404ing for me, and Atlus' home page doesn't seem to have any mention of it in the news feed, either. So, uh, :confuoot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

vdate posted:

Uh, this link is 404ing for me, and Atlus' home page doesn't seem to have any mention of it in the news feed, either. So, uh, :confuoot:

It was a leak, not an official announcement, so it was taken down.

This is what was on there:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

The redacted bit is weird
Wonder if it said "Hobbit" or something similar with potential copyright problems?

I remember seeing some other concept art where the Therians were called Martians and there was a 5th race

It seems like there were actually something like 7-8 races in some of the earlier drafts, including "Horned", Reptilians and Dark Lunarians. From what I can tell, the original idea was that each race was its own entire class. So you start with your proto-Earthrun and it becomes either a Protector or a Fencer during the class change. At some point they just merged everything down to 4 races with 2 classes each.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's not just a leak anymore, I got an Atlus email about this, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, and SMT Strange Journey Redux all coming west.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's not just a leak anymore, I got an Atlus email about this, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, and SMT Strange Journey Redux all coming west.

Yeah, they published everything today. I get the feeling they were planning on revealing this stuff all around E3 time, but some careless marketing staffer's mistake forced their hand.

It took them about 4 hours to plug the leaks last night, from 8 PM to 12 AM western. I get the feeling they were scrambilng to find someone who could fix that immediately towards the end. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
They have a small product page for it now

The site's technically up too, but it's just the splash screen.

• Locked thread