Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
There's a program that keeps opening and closing very quickly every once in a while on my computer. I think it's some sort of command prompt window but I can't say for sure. How the hell do I find out what it is so I can make it stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

qsvui posted:

There's a program that keeps opening and closing very quickly every once in a while on my computer. I think it's some sort of command prompt window but I can't say for sure. How the hell do I find out what it is so I can make it stop?

This has started happening to me in the last two days too. After some Googling I've seen there seems to be a bunch of other people with the same thing happening, but I haven't seen an actual answer to what it is exactly yet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qsvui posted:

Some people who had this happen in the past few days found it to be a process related to the latest Microsoft Office and one of its updates. Do you have Office installed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Same here, I've been looking for what the gently caress that was!

fishmech posted:

Some people who had this happen in the past few days found it to be a process related to the latest Microsoft Office and one of its updates. Do you have Office installed?

Confirm. I'll try forcing the office "click to run" persistent exe off to see if that helps.

Does office silently update itself?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Have you guys got MySQL installed? That pops up some task in a command window periodically (I don't know what it does).

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

fishmech posted:

I do actually.

Klyith posted:

I'll try forcing the office "click to run" persistent exe off to see if that helps.

Is this required to run office?

phosdex posted:

Have you guys got MySQL installed? That pops up some task in a command window periodically (I don't know what it does).

Nope.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

qsvui posted:

Is this required to run office?

Yes, if you completely disable the service then office doesn't work. But if you don't need office all the time you can set it to manual & stop the service. Next time you run office it'll start itself again.

This seems to be the best lead, I haven't seen the dumb window flash since killing it.

Microsoft just killing it with the Quality Assurance these days.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just disabled the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration scheduled task and that stopped it. Office itself is still working, for now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can set Edge to show either a blank screen or set of most visited sites when I open a new tab, but is there any way to set this for when I open a fresh window? It consistently shows a news feed in the new window, and since it is almost entirely composed of clickbait and total trash garbage, I don't want it to appear at all.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can set Edge to show either a blank screen or set of most visited sites when I open a new tab, but is there any way to set this for when I open a fresh window? It consistently shows a news feed in the new window, and since it is almost entirely composed of clickbait and total trash garbage, I don't want it to appear at all.

Yes, set the New Tab to blank and set the First Tab to New Tab. Then get out of settings and go back into it because it probably changed your New Tab to Bullshit Wall when you did that and you need to set it to blank again.

Edge needs to fix that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Honest question, is there any reason to use a Windows Store version of a particular application over the desktop version?

VLC WinStore-ver seems to want to be my "Media Center Experience" which I hate, so I'll stick with the desktop version.

Slack is tricker, seems both applications are the same.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Honest question, is there any reason to use a Windows Store version of a particular application over the desktop version?

VLC WinStore-ver seems to want to be my "Media Center Experience" which I hate, so I'll stick with the desktop version.

What do you mean by Media Center Experience?

Depends on app. Store version of VLC is quite different internally - for example if you have a virtual network adapter then desktop version has problems with dlna servers.
One big plus of store versions is clean install and uninstall. They can't mess up your system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just disabled the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration scheduled task and that stopped it. Office itself is still working, for now.

this looks like the real solution, thanks

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Snuffman posted:

Do you use a tablet? Store versions are often way more touch friendly. Auto updates in the background are also nice.

Many store apps also sync files with other pcs using the same app with your account

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MikusR posted:

What do you mean by Media Center Experience?

Maybe I'm behind on my VLC desktop updates so it may be like this now, but as I use it currently, I open a video file and I get a video player.

I use the Windows App and I get something more akin to iTunes, where it wants me to build a "Library" of video files.

EDIT: Hm, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. I loaded the VLC desktop application and got the same media centre interface.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snuffman posted:

Maybe I'm behind on my VLC desktop updates so it may be like this now, but as I use it currently, I open a video file and I get a video player.

I use the Windows App and I get something more akin to iTunes, where it wants me to build a "Library" of video files.

EDIT: Hm, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. I loaded the VLC desktop application and got the same media centre interface.

It sounds like one of the previous times you had VLC installed, you accidentally broke a setting. It should always have gone right to playing a video once you opened it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just got a surface pro 4. I am normally a Linux and OSX user, so I have to ask: Why is the update process for windows so loving slow and horrible? Why in the year 2017 did it take 10 reboots and three god drat hours to update windows?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I just got a surface pro 4. I am normally a Linux and OSX user, so I have to ask: Why is the update process for windows so loving slow and horrible? Why in the year 2017 did it take 10 reboots and three god drat hours to update windows?

Something is wrong with it. Return to store. My MIIx 310 with 32gb of slow mmc took an hour to do an upgrade from anniversary to creators and and about 2 reboots. Similary Macbook Air from yosemite to el capitan also about an hour.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikusR posted:

Something is wrong with it. Return to store. My MIIx 310 with 32gb of slow mmc took an hour to do an upgrade from anniversary to creators and and about 2 reboots. Similary Macbook Air from yosemite to el capitan also about an hour.

Nothing is wrong with it. It's stable and is just fine. Windows updates suck.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Nothing is wrong with it. It's stable and is just fine. Windows updates suck.

The Surface products are some of the glitchiest computers ever. It could be anything from the wifi chipset loving up to the keyboard glitching out.. and probably one of these glitches is causing the updates to go super slow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Surface also has firmware updates that need to be done before regular updates. So it always take a bunch of reboot.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Snuffman posted:

Automatic updates, clean uninstall, in your purchase history so you can grab it on another machine easier.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Can anyone help confirm this bug the Creators update has introduced for me? I'm curious if it's really generally reproducible or specific to my setup. Steps to reproduce:
  1. Have multiple monitors.
  2. Set one monitor to a different scaling, e.g. the left one 100% and the right one 125%.
  3. Place the taskbar between the monitors, i.e. on the right edge of the left monitor or vice versa. Also the taskbar is set to only show on one display, but I don't think it makes a difference.
  4. Set the taskbar to auto-hide.
  5. Once the taskbar hides, observe it spazzing out and repeatedly opening and closing (without animation) as fast as it can. Also observe explorer.exe eating CPU like crazy and the taskbar generally becoming unresponsive. Note: the best way to recover is to leave the taskbar settings window open and simply toggling auto-hide back to off again.
And before anyone asks how I can live with this crazy setup in the first place: I access the taskbar by pressing a button on my mouse that is mapped to Win+T, which focuses/unhides the taskbar and cycles through its entries. No pixel-hunting or manual hitting of the Windows key required.

Feedback Hub entry is here if anyone cares to upvote. Kinda doubt MS will do anything about it - especially considering how extremely niche/specific the issue is - but I guess at least I tried :shrug:. Until MS fixes this (lol) I reckon I'll have to live with the wasted space.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GreenNight posted:

Surface also has firmware updates that need to be done before regular updates. So it always take a bunch of reboot.

My SP3 had to reboot 8 or 9 times before the last firmware update would stick - MS physical hardware is really poo poo-tier IMO

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

My SP3 had to reboot 8 or 9 times before the last firmware update would stick - MS physical hardware is really poo poo-tier IMO

Agreed. MS should be ashamed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And god help you if you have to send it in for a warranty repair. You don't even get the same one back, they send you a refurb.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, new gripe: zooming in and out of maps in Edge is ridiculously sensitive, with one notch taking me from street level to showing the whole of the UK. Mouse scrolling is fine otherwise and zooming works fine in the Maps app, plus I'm having it happen on multiple devices, so it's definitely Edge rather than my mouse(s). Is there any fix for that? Googling hasn't turned up anything.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Maybe this is better suited here?

Arcon posted:

I have :10bux: in windows store credit that expires on June 20th and I have no idea what to spend it on

I only have PC, no xbone, so games are either more than $10 or better gotten off of steam kinda leaving me at just apps.

What are some not-garbage paid winstore apps

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Arcon posted:

Maybe this is better suited here?

I have $50 cards I'm selling for $40 if you want to get something for $60, such as RE7.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I usually dump my Bing! funbux in to a onedrive subscription for the year

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Does OneDrive have encryption at rest yet? I've still got the 15 free gigs and would love to start using some of it, but there's no way I'm putting anything on their servers that's just sitting unencrypted waiting for an employee/hacker to copy it out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xamphear posted:

Does OneDrive have encryption at rest yet? I've still got the 15 free gigs and would love to start using some of it, but there's no way I'm putting anything on their servers that's just sitting unencrypted waiting for an employee/hacker to copy it out.

https://blogs.office.com/2015/01/30/data-encryption-works-onedrive-business-sharepoint-online/

looks like since at least 2015? At least for business.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Afaik they still scan for and remove objectionable content on the non-business platform. The implication is then that the data isn't encrypted.

e: unproven junk

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2017

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, and I ain't a business...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Afaik they still scan for and remove objectionable content on the non-business platform. The implication is then that the data isn't encrypted.

seriously? Got a link?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

redeyes posted:

seriously? Got a link?
Tried to produce something respectable and I can't. So it seems like a rumour that popped up around the release of Windows 10, with people reading a lot into TOS passages.

There were a couple of blog posts repeating it as gospel when comparing cloud services, but no substantiation.

Apologies for that. Got to say I don't know either way as far as the encryption goes either then.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

Tried to produce something respectable and I can't. So it seems like a rumour that popped up around the release of Windows 10, with people reading a lot into TOS passages.

There were a couple of blog posts repeating it as gospel when comparing cloud services, but no substantiation.

Apologies for that. Got to say I don't know either way as far as the encryption goes either then.

No, its quite ok. I kind of remember reading about that as well and google searches came up blank. Definitely use encryption.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think there was some big articles a few years back about a database that MS either started or was a contributor to that held the hashes of known cp. And people were getting busted when they uploaded that poo poo to their onedrive because it would automatically get flagged.

Then a few weeks ago they got a patent to detect and track pirated content: https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-patents-pirated-content-prevention-and-offender-tracking-on-onedrive

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Microsoft reserves the option to remove "unacceptable" content from publicly shared OneDrive folders/links, just like any other public file host does - usually things will only get removed if someone files a DMCA takedown against them. Microsoft also reserves the right to use publicly shared items from OneDrive storage and other Microsoft storage in advertising and similar situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

How long do you reckon it'll take them to build that into the OS?