Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Methanar posted:

That window faces west :(.

It gets extremely hot in there and I haven't had a good opportunity to find blinds. It's a non standard sized window.

Ikea has really cheap sun blocking roll down blinds in tons of widths, check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Blinds.com

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Methanar posted:

That window faces west :(.

It gets extremely hot in there and I haven't had a good opportunity to find blinds. It's a non standard sized window.

Most hardware stores will also cut blinds to size for you.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Also you can buy window tint that will block a good bit of the heat.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

gently caress yeah just got a 21:9 monitor, LG 34UC88

It's replacing two samsung monitors @ 27" 1920x1080 and 19" 1650x1050 each (19" was vertical), I don't miss them at all.

Got this software called Divvy where you can set global hotkeys and instantly send the active window to a certain position/size, it even lets you set DMZ-ish border zones between windows. It and WindowSpace (universal window snapping) scratches my dual monitor itch very well.

The only thing I miss somewhat is having a small vertical monitor for mumble/irc/music when I'm gaming, but the insane FOV in games makes up for it. I wish I had a wider desk, oh well!

edit: plz don't cable shame i intend to re-route them all on sunday

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

gently caress yeah just got a 21:9 monitor, LG 34UC88

It's replacing two samsung monitors @ 27" 1920x1080 and 19" 1650x1050 each (19" was vertical), I don't miss them at all.

Got this software called Divvy where you can set global hotkeys and instantly send the active window to a certain position/size, it even lets you set DMZ-ish border zones between windows. It and WindowSpace (universal window snapping) scratches my dual monitor itch very well.

The only thing I miss somewhat is having a small vertical monitor for mumble/irc/music when I'm gaming, but the insane FOV in games makes up for it. I wish I had a wider desk, oh well!

edit: plz don't cable shame i intend to re-route them all on sunday

#gbs on irc :siren:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm the AIM icon pinned to the taskbar in tyool 2017

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm the AIM icon pinned to the taskbar in tyool 2017

AIM disabled 3:rd party protocol usage (RIP PIDGIN) :(

also yes join #GBS IRC, bitches, see my sig for more deets!!!

its the kewl place 2 be :cool:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The best program I've ever used for automatic hotkey window resizing is called Winsplit Revolution and it's as integral to my Windows workflow as the task bar. I use it constantly.

I bind this grid of hotkeys to Ctrl + Alt:
QWE
ASD
ZXC

And I'm set. Ctrl + Alt + S centers the active window and sets it to a pre-allocated size. Hitting it again does the same thing but makes the window smaller. Hitting it again centers the window and gives it full vertical height and 1/3rd of the monitor's width. Ctrl + Alt + E puts the window in the upper right quarter of the screen and hitting it again puts it in the upper right corner of the screen taking half the vertical space and 1/3rd of the horizontal monitor space, etc. You can fully setup any custom window size and placement setting to any of nine grid buttons you can also rebind, and as far as I know you can have an infinite number of customizations to cycle through per button.

If you don't like messing with manual window resizing, definitely check it out. I think the last version is 11.6 or something like that. Whoever made it stopped supporting it a while back so it might be a little bit hard to find now, but it works perfectly well on windows 7 and 10.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 13, 2017

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's great. Can a single ultrawide monitor like that host two video feeds from two sources? I have a PC and a Mac Pro so am using two monitors. Would be nice to switch to a single screen, but there are times when I'm working on both machines at once.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

spookygonk posted:

That's great. Can a single ultrawide monitor like that host two video feeds from two sources? I have a PC and a Mac Pro so am using two monitors. Would be nice to switch to a single screen, but there are times when I'm working on both machines at once.

I've heard of some picture in picture kind of thingos but I haven't heard great things about them. Check into that maybe?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

spookygonk posted:

Some can (like my LG). It's the equivalent of two 16" 5:4 screens however, you lose quite a bit of space compared to two 2560x1440 or even 1920x1080 screens. Personally it was too much loss for me and I use a 3440x1440 screen as main and a 2560x1440 (actually a 4k monitor with Windows scaling set at 1.5 which is basically this) as secondary, which is the best of both worlds if you have the space. A separate screen somehow makes stuff I put there also feel more separate than stuff I put next to the main window on the main screen, but I might be odd in this regard.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 13, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I finished my desk today. Waxed a 6'x3' butch block countertop with a satin wax, then screwed it to two filing cabinets using 8 1.25" nails and bracketed it to the studs. Plenty of space for my absurdly large tower (or a 3rd screen one day :sigh: ). I'd have to buy a bunch of 8ft cables to make it work on the floor so this will do for now

I just have to cable manage and it'll be dandy

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 22, 2017

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
I like the black cabinet, natural wood pairing with the white tower :discourse:

(please don't put your tower directly on the carpet when you get a third monitor)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i can't stand having my tower next to my face, but i have one of those little stands that keeps my tower like 5" above the carpet. is that an ok thing to do?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Papal Mainframe posted:

I like the black cabinet, natural wood pairing with the white tower :discourse:

This is exactly what I'm planning to do when I move, so that's good to see.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I've heard of some picture in picture kind of thingos but I haven't heard great things about them. Check into that maybe?

Decius posted:

Some can (like my LG). It's the equivalent of two 16" 5:4 screens however, you lose quite a bit of space compared to two 2560x1440 or even 1920x1080 screens. Personally it was too much loss for me and I use a 3440x1440 screen as main and a 2560x1440 (actually a 4k monitor with Windows scaling set at 1.5 which is basically this) as secondary, which is the best of both worlds if you have the space. A separate screen somehow makes stuff I put there also feel more separate than stuff I put next to the main window on the main screen, but I might be odd in this regard.

Thanks, I'll stick with two monitors then.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

protip for all of you guys planning on doing what I did: even if the wood is dry let it dry for 24 hours or else you will have spots where your computer legs and mousepad are. I had to do a quick touchup last night because I didnt read the instructions and I had eight white spots where the tower legs and monitor legs were and a giant white square where my mousepad was :downs:

edit: I was thinking about sticking the tower behind the monitors because I really shouldnt have it on the ground due to my giant fluff of a husky getting hair everywhere

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

protip for all of you guys planning on doing what I did: even if the wood is dry let it dry for 24 hours or else you will have spots where your computer legs and mousepad are. I had to do a quick touchup last night because I didnt read the instructions and I had eight white spots where the tower legs and monitor legs were and a giant white square where my mousepad was :downs:

I had plannned on using an ikea solid butcher countertop, but not sealing or finishing it at all, really think it's necessary?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You are going to want to seal it with at least something like this

Unless you plan on never having a glass or liquid near it. Your butcherblock will have rings and stains in no time, and it took me about 30 minutes and $11 to buy and apply this + the 24hr drying time. I wasn't planning on sealing it originally either but turns out that is probably not a good idea

If anything this will make it not as course and easier to slide a mouse across, as well as not rub your arms raw after long enough

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 22, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is a barmat actually comfortable as a wrist rest?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is a barmat actually comfortable as a wrist rest?

I find it to be extremely comfortable because I'm pretty tall and it keeps my wrists from floating below the keyboard. It's like those adidas sandals with the spiky things too.

Also it's handy because you can wash it out in the sink when too many dorito crumbs get in there :mrgw:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

The best program I've ever used for automatic hotkey window resizing is called Winsplit Revolution and it's as integral to my Windows workflow as the task bar. I use it constantly.

I bind this grid of hotkeys to Ctrl + Alt:
QWE
ASD
ZXC

And I'm set. Ctrl + Alt + S centers the active window and sets it to a pre-allocated size. Hitting it again does the same thing but makes the window smaller. Hitting it again centers the window and gives it full vertical height and 1/3rd of the monitor's width. Ctrl + Alt + E puts the window in the upper right quarter of the screen and hitting it again puts it in the upper right corner of the screen taking half the vertical space and 1/3rd of the horizontal monitor space, etc. You can fully setup any custom window size and placement setting to any of nine grid buttons you can also rebind, and as far as I know you can have an infinite number of customizations to cycle through per button.

If you don't like messing with manual window resizing, definitely check it out. I think the last version is 11.6 or something like that. Whoever made it stopped supporting it a while back so it might be a little bit hard to find now, but it works perfectly well on windows 7 and 10.

Listen to this goon, WinSplit is so pro.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Coredump posted:

Listen to this goon, WinSplit is so pro.

And so discontinued =(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

i used divvy for a while with my new 21:9, but i ended up reverting back to WindowSpace

it's a utility that lets you snap any window to other windows, snaps to edges etc.

so i just size my main window to a preferred size, let the snapping make it clean, then resize and snap my IRC/uTorrent/foobar2k in equal sizes to the main one, with some space left so i can still see my single column of desktop icons.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Tedronai66 posted:

And so discontinued =(

Doesn't stop it from working...

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

When I got back into pc gaming, I really got back into pc gaming.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How are you enjoying Minecraft? :v:

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How are you enjoying Minecraft? :v:

It's beautiful! :swoon:

Does spreadsheets like a champ too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

When I got back into pc gaming, I really got back into pc gaming.

Is that an NZXT HSF? The case is a Phanteks so... ?

Are those speakers any good? Are they wireless with that antenna on the left one?

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Is that an NZXT HSF? The case is a Phanteks so... ?

Are those speakers any good? Are they wireless with that antenna on the left one?

It's a NZXT Kraken X62 AIO. There's also a Corsair PSU in there. Phanteks makes really nice cases but rest of what they make isn't quite on par with their cases.

I think the Audioengine HD3's are probably the best desktop speakers you can buy right now. The built in DAC is amazing and it has Bluetooth (that's what the little antenna is for) so I can just stream music off my phone if I don't want to turn the computer on.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Per the thread's advice I went with a DIY kit from Autonomous and then finished a a piece of butcher block from Menards. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Now I need to get some stuff on the walls!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

pocket pool posted:

Per the thread's advice I went with a DIY kit from Autonomous and then finished a a piece of butcher block from Menards. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Now I need to get some stuff on the walls!

Nice! I like the dark finish. The 6'x3' butcher block they have is perfect for making desks and I'm glad I noticed it when I was in looking for plumbing supplies

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Isn't 3' a bit too deep? I have a dual monitor stand that grabs on to the back of the desk, and I feel it'd be super far.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I scoured my local Lowe's and they had poo poo for desktop material. Going to have to drive a little further.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Isn't 3' a bit too deep? I have a dual monitor stand that grabs on to the back of the desk, and I feel it'd be super far.

I like it because I'm farsighted so I can stick my monitors quite a ways back and have a fuckton of space for CSGO style mouse movement but that's just me

Edit: I put some lights in and poo poo

I've gotta get some cable holders for the lamps and an extension cord so there's no tension on it

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 23, 2017

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I like it because I'm farsighted so I can stick my monitors quite a ways back and have a fuckton of space for CSGO style mouse movement but that's just me

Edit: I put some lights in and poo poo

I've gotta get some cable holders for the lamps and an extension cord so there's no tension on it

What are the cabinets you used for the bottom of the desk?

I do something similar with a butcherblock countertop from IKEA and the ikea Alex drawer units, but I don't really like the look of the drawer units.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So, Ikea doesn't carry the Hammarp butcher block tops any more, and it'd be $80 just to ship one.

Any suggestions for a similar desk top that won't break the bank? They do have the "oak/maple/birch over particle board" ones still, but I was hoping for a solid wood.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
[jerry seinfeld voice] what's the deal with putting the tower on the desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

First it was the case windows, now it's the RGB LEDs. :bandwagon: