Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

Serious post: how do you gents and lasses get your mason jars not to do the hokey pokey all over the puddle bucket?

Mine is just doing laps and I fear a tip over.

Edit I guess I can't upload animated gifs to imgur.
*shrug*

vaccum seal your mason jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I usually weigh it down with another mason jar filled with water.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Serious post: how do you gents and lasses get your mason jars not to do the hokey pokey all over the puddle bucket?

Mine is just doing laps and I fear a tip over.

Edit I guess I can't upload animated gifs to imgur.
*shrug*

I use pickling jars (The all glass type with a rubber seal ring) to make creme brulee, my jars don't move at all. Is there a lot of air in your jar?
If so maybe a smaller jar would work better because less air = less buoyancy or whatever the word is.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hopper posted:

I use pickling jars (The all glass type with a rubber seal ring) to make creme brulee, my jars don't move at all. Is there a lot of air in your jar?
If so maybe a smaller jar would work better because less air = less buoyancy or whatever the word is.

I think "unerträgliche dingsleichtigkeit" is the word you're looking for, buoyancy is close though

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for all the tips, folks.
I followed the Chef Steps recipe and they said use that sized jar for that quantity. So, yeah.. odd. No biggie, though. It didn't tip.

The Gummies came out nice. a little sticky but I gave them a tartaric acid, powdered sugar and cornstarch dusting.

The wet dog rear end taste-smell from the gelatine does indeed subside HEAVILY. It's almost undetectable... but it's still there a little. I wonder how much less I can use... (or just find the equivalent ratio of agar-agar.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Feenix posted:

Thanks for all the tips, folks.
I followed the Chef Steps recipe and they said use that sized jar for that quantity. So, yeah.. odd. No biggie, though. It didn't tip.

The Gummies came out nice. a little sticky but I gave them a tartaric acid, powdered sugar and cornstarch dusting.

The wet dog rear end taste-smell from the gelatine does indeed subside HEAVILY. It's almost undetectable... but it's still there a little. I wonder how much less I can use... (or just find the equivalent ratio of agar-agar.

How tight did you have the lids from the creme brulee? I've had good luck putting all my mason jars on the bottom of the container, rather than stacking, and am making sure to only tighten 'finger-tight' instead of putting arm strength into closing the lids.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm an idiot for not posting this question here in the first place:

Doing a ~5lb pork loin to slice and serve in hot sandwiches. What temp should I SV, and for how long?

Also, right now it's brining in a can of Strongbow with a few other things. Should I move it to a new bag, or should I SV it in the cider?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CommonShore posted:

I'm an idiot for not posting this question here in the first place:

Doing a ~5lb pork loin to slice and serve in hot sandwiches. What temp should I SV, and for how long?

Also, right now it's brining in a can of Strongbow with a few other things. Should I move it to a new bag, or should I SV it in the cider?

135 F gets you medium rare. I just Googled.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nur_Neerg posted:

How tight did you have the lids from the creme brulee? I've had good luck putting all my mason jars on the bottom of the container, rather than stacking, and am making sure to only tighten 'finger-tight' instead of putting arm strength into closing the lids.

It wasn't me who mentioned/made creme brulee. I did mention panna cotta a few posts ago, but I do that stovetop because it's the easiest goddamn recipe in the world. :)

And I did finger tight and one jar on the bottom (but it was a pint mason.)

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
My local Costco has 20 lb pork shoulders in sealed plastic bags that I would love to use for pulled pork. Is it foolish to try to SV a piece of meat this large? I have a cooler large enough to cook it, I just don't know if there are any practical limitations on the size.

I was thinking of trying 74C for 20~22 hours, followed by dry rub and a 2 hour smoke.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it would take a long time and a lot of energy to get the temperature to a safe spot all the way through. I wouldn't expect my circulator to keep up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

size will be a safety issue so you'd need to piece it out. If you want it to be in the 20 lb entirety don't SV.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

The Hambulance posted:

My local Costco has 20 lb pork shoulders in sealed plastic bags that I would love to use for pulled pork. Is it foolish to try to SV a piece of meat this large? I have a cooler large enough to cook it, I just don't know if there are any practical limitations on the size.

I was thinking of trying 74C for 20~22 hours, followed by dry rub and a 2 hour smoke.

those are probably two or maybe even three shoulders in one pack, de-boned. would be best to ask one of the guys behind the glass to make sure, tho.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't know where I read it (probably here) but I have heard that a rule of thumb is your meat should be less than 4" thick at its thickest if you want to safely cook it sous vide.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

I don't know where I read it (probably here) but I have heard that a rule of thumb is your meat should be less than 4" thick at its thickest if you want to safely cook it sous vide.

I think Baldwin's charts basically indicate that. That's the thickness where at normal sv temps you have trouble getting the middle out of the danger zone in less than four hours.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Hambulance posted:

There are 2-3 pieces of meat in there as mentioned.

If you have a smoker, just smoke it for 18-24 hours and have awesome pulled pork. If you must puddle it, smoke it first, but there is really no point with a good smoker setup.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Ultimate Mango posted:

There are 2-3 pieces of meat in there as mentioned.

Oh, that simplifies everything then! Thanks for the help :toot:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Joule or Anova for someone starting out, uses a stockpot, and is fine using app controls? Sweet home says the Joule is better than the Anova except that it completely lacks any sort of manual controls and needs to use the app for everything (which is fine by me)? Is this accurate?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dunno about the Joule but the times the app didn't work/devs hosed it up, I was happy my Anova has manual controls. I'd never buy a kitchen device that totally depends on an app to control it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hopper posted:

Dunno about the Joule but the times the app didn't work/devs hosed it up, I was happy my Anova has manual controls. I'd never buy a kitchen device that totally depends on an app to control it.

I have an Anova, but i think both are good. I will say this.. I have Hue Lightbulbs, and I bought physical dimmer switches too. No onboard controls can be... annoying.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Joule or Anova for someone starting out, uses a stockpot, and is fine using app controls? Sweet home says the Joule is better than the Anova except that it completely lacks any sort of manual controls and needs to use the app for everything (which is fine by me)? Is this accurate?

I personally think it's a mistake to buy an app-only device just in case they stop supporting the app at some point and future os compatibility becomes an issue. Plus I just think it's dumb and inconvenient, but that's more of a personal choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Joule pros:
stronger, faster heating
magnetic base
waterproof

Joule cons:
no physical controls or screen

Like many others, that's enough reason for me to the get the Anova instead

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Russia can't hack my Bluetooth Anova. The wi-fi one may be different but I don't see the point of that. Or Bluetooth, really, but it's an extraneous feature.

(if Russia begins hacking Bluetooth sous vide machines somehow, we're all hosed)

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I really liked this simple recipe for a weeknight dinner.

Salmon Rice Bowls:

Salmon @ 125 for 30 min, seared on cast iron.

Seasoned with:

Salt brine for 10-30min. Rinse after brine.

2 Tbps Sriracha
2 Tbps Soy Sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tsp honey
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp minced garlic

Rice with sliced avocado, cucumbers, cilantro, and any other veggies you want. Add extra juices/seasoning from bag to your salmon bowl.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sweet home says the Joule is better than the Anova except that it completely lacks any sort of manual controls and needs to use the app for everything (which is fine by me)? Is this accurate?

Pretty much. But really the only question you should be asking yourself is how much do you want physical controls vs. how much do you want a device small enough to fit in a kitchen drawer. Yes the Joule has other advantages, but I don't think any of them are really worth the loss of physical controls.

I really wanted a compact device, so I went with the Joule. I'm happy to have freed up some shelf space and am fine taking the risk that one day ChefSteps may go out of business and/or the app stops working.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

I really liked this simple recipe for a weeknight dinner.

Salmon Rice Bowls:

Salmon @ 125 for 30 min, seared on cast iron.

Seasoned with:

Salt brine for 10-30min. Rinse after brine.

2 Tbps Sriracha
2 Tbps Soy Sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tsp honey
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp minced garlic

Rice with sliced avocado, cucumbers, cilantro, and any other veggies you want. Add extra juices/seasoning from bag to your salmon bowl.

This sounds amazing, can you elaborate on the brine? I never did that before, what exactly do you use in terms of water/salt ratio etc.?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, I'd fuckin eat this... please do a proper write up. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After jumping back up to $150, anovas are back down to $109 again. Their website has a $40 off Father's Day deal so I assume this Amazon price will stick around that long as well

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Bluetooth-Precision-Cooker/dp/B00UKPBXM4

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We bought some lobster tails that we are looking forward to sous vide - ing! Most recipes are basically "shitload of butter and some tarragon also" what other recipes or hints and tips does anyone have?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

teacup posted:

We bought some lobster tails that we are looking forward to sous vide - ing! Most recipes are basically "shitload of butter and some tarragon also" what other recipes or hints and tips does anyone have?

Cut the meat from the shells. Otherwise as far as seasoning and butter just use whatever you would when doing them non-sv. I did y last ones with just a couple pats of butter in the bags and then made some garlic/lemon butter to dip in. SV lobster is awesome.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Joule being app only has only been inconvenient for me once, and I just had to plan around it. Being small and powerful has been nice every time.

By the time Chefsteps goes out of business / the app loses support, there will be better tech anyhow so decide for yourself whether to plan for 5-10 years off when it's a $100 decision.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trastion posted:

Cut the meat from the shells.

Boiling them briefly and then throwing them in an ice bath makes it way easier to remove the shells, IMO.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I bought salmon and need help brining it, so what exactly do you guys use as a brine?

Should I dry brine with just salt? Kenji does prefer that but he doesn't rinse it, so all the salt stays in the bag. good/bad?
Or should I wet brine and then rinse? does 1/4 cup kosher salt to 1 quart of water sound fine?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Probably depends how salty you like it. I prefer the dry brine, but I like stuff really salty.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The chef steps Salmon Mi-Cuit was pretty amazing. It's going to be a weekly​ recipe in my house for a quick snack to keep in the fridge

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The chef steps Salmon Mi-Cuit was pretty amazing. It's going to be a weekly​ recipe in my house for a quick snack to keep in the fridge

Username/post combo.

Love it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

Joule pros:
stronger, faster heating
magnetic base
waterproof

Joule cons:
no physical controls or screen

Like many others, that's enough reason for me to the get the Anova instead
The only thing I would consider missing from the above is that the Joule does a better job circulating water and has a wider high/low water mark due to how the Joule circulates water in the opposite direction from the bottom up rather than the top down like Anova and other circulators do. Anova's water circulation takes water in through the slits at the middle of the impeller shaft and expels it through the bottom. Joule pulls water in from the bottom and ejects it out the middle ~6 inches from the bottom. This does mean that the Anova is a bit easier to clean though.

I've had the Anova One (passed along to my cousin) and I currently have the Anova BT and Joule. I almost exclusively use the Joule since its app-connected features mean that I can start the water bath from anywhere.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I find myself disliking the new Anova's controls so much that I basically use it app-only anyway :shrug: Might be the only one but that might be something to consider

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

The only thing I would consider missing from the above is that the Joule does a better job circulating water and has a wider high/low water mark due to how the Joule circulates water in the opposite direction from the bottom up rather than the top down like Anova and other circulators do. Anova's water circulation takes water in through the slits at the middle of the impeller shaft and expels it through the bottom. Joule pulls water in from the bottom and ejects it out the middle ~6 inches from the bottom. This does mean that the Anova is a bit easier to clean though.

I've had the Anova One (passed along to my cousin) and I currently have the Anova BT and Joule. I almost exclusively use the Joule since its app-connected features mean that I can start the water bath from anywhere.

My Sansaire would like a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

the yeti posted:

I find myself disliking the new Anova's controls so much that I basically use it app-only anyway :shrug: Might be the only one but that might be something to consider

Sincere question: what's to dislike? Roll and tap. I've found it so basic I don't ever even think about it...