Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm hyped. I fell behind but there's no excuse to jump back in. I can catch up on the crazy that I missed later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm excited for this even though I kind of fell off during the first half.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I was at the Mack Mundo all night long taping over a year ago, I'm hyped to finally see it on TV. I hope the "Chocolate Thunder" chant I started makes the cut

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Woo, time to go to Slam Town

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Holy poo poo it's finally back :neckbeard:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I've missed seeing Magnificent Bastard Dario Cueto. I've even missed Complete Bastard Johnny Mundo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I've missed you, Melissa...

:allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm glad this was taped before the "2 ... SWEEEETT" thing caught on with smarky crowds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Baja Dessert Championships: ORIGINS
okay?

good spots so far, god I missed the Lucha chants.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Baja Dessert Championships: ORIGINS
okay?

good spots so far, god I missed the Lucha chants.

I'm more interested in the "Danny Trejo fucks around with medieval weapons" show

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I haven't watched live tv in ages, what the heck! one commercial was just a .jpg and a voiceover about deep fried mac n cheese with cheetos dust!

Can't wait to see where they're going with this ankle stuff

okay nvm please go back to the .jpg i don't need a commercial anymore

Hahahahahahha yesssss

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 1, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mundo is so awesome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

YES YES YES YES DOWN THE STAIIIIIIIIIIIRS

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
YESSSSSSSSS

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I LOVE YOU LUCHA UNDERGROUND

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

YES YES YES YES DOWN THE STAIIIIIIIIIIIRS

This show is so good at giving us what we want.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Mundo Magic!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This show is so stupid and I missed it so much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

My god, but which one does he stun?!

YES YES YES :stare: This show is good at giving us what we want, and even better at giving us what we didn't know we wanted.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

SON OF HAVOC YES

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hahahahaha giving The Mack beer is like Popeye's spinach

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THIS IS THE COOLEST MATCH EVER

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is the best kind of overbooked clusterfuck

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

YES! I just saw myself. Also I loved that Sexy Star spot

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Benne posted:

This is the best kind of overbooked clusterfuck

All it needs is a bag of popcorn.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That was awesome.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That was the last match of the taping I went to, I was so drained after it I needed like 3 Red Bulls to make the drive back to the Bay Area.

If it's any consolation, the dark segment after the match was Mack and Sexy Star dancing around to "All Night Long" :)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Lucha Underground: Endless Eight

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope the rest of the season is just Mundo and Mack going Broadway every single week and a winner is never determined

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I forgot to mention they cut out a spot where Mundo delayed the match by locking himself in a storage cage up on the balcony and the Mack ripped the door off to get to him. It took a long time to set up but it was hilarious seeing Mundo flip off the Mack from behind the cage door then the Mack go apeshit

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
LU: one hour show - 2 guys are given the whole hour to have a long match. Midcard star looks like top star.

RAW: three hour show - 2 guys are given 5 minutes. Midcard star looks completely unremarkable.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
At this point, Mundo is the second best Ironman performer

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm a lot less hyped on that match than anybody else posting. I liked it and thought the chaos was fun, but it definitely dragged at points and it didn't have much weight for me. I also think that it was a terrible idea to schedule a really long break and then the first show back focused on two guys with some brief cameos from their friends.

Hopefully next week has the B-movie silliness that we all love.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I will agree that this fight didn't have a ton of weight and that it did not make for a great opening story-wise. The start did drag because of it and the best parts of the 2nd half werw that it was the type of overbooked side show that LU does well. I also thought the ending of having them continue the fight next week was a little dumb. Again, it has been so long that I'd rather see everyone again and then move into the personal stories.

Does anyone know if they always planned on having the break or was something they decided towards the end?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gumball Gumption posted:

Does anyone know if they always planned on having the break or was something they decided towards the end?

Apparently it was a last-minute call by El Rey when they decided to retool their programming. From Cubsfan:

quote:

El Rey, version 1.0, found a niche audience that liked it’s martial arts and horror movies and sampled other things but wasn’t big enough to compel enough cable systems to pick them up and enough advertisers to spend money there. LU’s own ratings were not impressive compared to other wrestling shows, but they’re easily the highest rated show on the network. They’re also the only surviving original show left on El Rey: the TV adaption of From Dusk Til Dawn concluded, and attempts at series like The Cutting Crew and El Matador never found an audience enough to sustain them. It left El Rey at a crossroads, trying to figure out what would work with the makeup of the audience they’ve reached at this point.

Lucha Underground’s return marks the start of an El Rey version 1.1. It’s not a total remake, you will still find dubbed movies on Friday nights, but there are changes. Lucha Underground is the one thing that seemed to work, so every new concept is something that might work like or along side of Lucha Underground. Wednesday night, in between LU and the repeat, a special on the Baja 500 will air. It’s an offroad car race with lots of action, and the special will focus on some of the stories behind it. Next Thursday, El Rey debuts Rite of Passage (a show with a lot of action based on mystical coming of age trials) and Man At Arms: Art of War (a show with a lot of action based on sometimes mythical weapons.) I hope you’re noticing a pattern.

El Rey didn’t decide on this direction until late last year, and it takes a while to produce these sorts of things. There’s no point in making adjacent Lucha Underground programming if LU is not still airing new episodes. El Rey took the gamble that people would still be with LU if they put them on the shelf for a while and brought them back when the new shows were ready. (That’s also why they went to a hiatus with no clearer return date than “Summer 2017”; those shows weren’t far enough along yet to know when they’d be ready.)

Lucha Underground had no idea their would be this shift when they were producing these episodes. The episode airing this Wednesday was taped way back in March 2016, more than half a year before any sort of decision was made. Instead, LU people were given a heads up that a hiatus was coming and asked which episode would work best as a break point. (They debated between after episode 19 – the one they actually went out on – or after episode 20. We can debate if they made the right pick later on.) El Rey wouldn’t have put Lucha Underground on the shelf unless they believed they could make this work. El Rey believes in LU and hopefully their belief will be warranted.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

That match was not very good and made the Mack come across as a big idiot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dug Mundo doing jumping jacks after faking out the injury :allears:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Benne posted:

Apparently it was a last-minute call by El Rey when they decided to retool their programming. From Cubsfan:

That explains the commercials during yesterday's episode where Robert Rodriguez was asking the audience to fill out a survey on what they want to see. They're at the stage of "okay just tell us what to air"

They're probably just going to become a new Spike TV.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Totally fell out of the loop in the middle of Season 2 and am finally back, holy poo poo was that a phenomenal match. The Mack can really loving go for it, and the Sexy Star spot was phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Erebus posted:

That explains the commercials during yesterday's episode where Robert Rodriguez was asking the audience to fill out a survey on what they want to see. They're at the stage of "okay just tell us what to air"

They're probably just going to become a new Spike TV.

That makes me sad, I love that they'd show old Shaw Bros. stuff and grindhouse movies and exploitation films horror etc. It's like watching the Alamo Drafthouse the TV Channel. Glad they kept Lucha Underground.

• Locked thread