Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RatHat posted:

You get more exp if you win.

Yeah, it's still slow as hell though. It looks like it would take ~50 games if you won every single one, which is a bit much, especially considering how many people are rolling around in casual with insanely stacked decks even at low levels. I win slightly more than I lose but it's still a slog for someone that only plays a few matches a day.

I mean I'll get there eventually and all, but it's kind of excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I am brand brand new, which one do i pick

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Inverse posted:

I am brand brand new, which one do i pick

The more boar wants more oars

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
if you like NR or SK both of those are solid faction legendaries

otherwise yennifer conjurer is an all-rounder legendary that you can fit in any deck pretty much

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wild Boar is used in some of the better Skellige decks right now, Yen:con is one of the weaker neutrals. I'd take the Boar, but I'm a Skellige junkie.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
yennifer con and triss butt are both high tier neutral legendaries actually

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

went with yennifer, thanks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yenn's not wrong. Boar is used in the most broken deck around at the moment but doesn't lend much to deckbuilding outside of that imo. I still really like Keira but a lot of people think she's not worth it, and she's part of a faction that has one extreme cheese deck and seems totally disadvantaged otherwise. Comparing most NR bronzes to other factions is just a depressing exercise.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 1, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Minrad posted:

The catapults are probably the weak link here? Check out vicovaro or those dudes that get buffed every time you reveal something. You could also go with uh, a siege engineer or two and get value out of a late spotter across rounds.
The Spotter is in the deck already, I'll check on the Engineers, they're the guys for resilience right?

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone mind commenting on babbies first deck? I'm level 3 so milled a few cards to get Serrit & Cynthia. No idea if its any good but I'm enjoying playing it:

I'm a bit unsure if I should be running more special cards but it's tricky to learn. Finding it hard to gauge how much the FLs do as well, but I kinda get hosed if I don't have them. Maybe bin the Decoy?

I would say the alchemists are the weakest cards in this deck. I agree with the other poster about putting in a vica medic and combat engineer. You also need to get vattier asap, but then again, this is pretty much the only deck he's useful in.

I like the mangonels and have used them effectively for a while, but they're huge targets and you're gonna have to anticipate that your opponent is gonna try really hard to counter it real quick like. Which makes it really fun to keep plopping them down while they scramble to clear em.

That feeling when you let loose a vattier with 2 or 3 mangonels on the board :unsmith:

E: oh and throw any golems you got for that sweet sweet deck thinning power

JERFit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 1, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Every fifth game against Nilfgaard they reveal your hand and you realize that it actually does give them a pretty big advantage. The other four games they reveal their own hand and that somehow gives them an even bigger advantage.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I love when they reveal an igni or something when there's already a row over 20 and realize they're screwed and start to flub their turns

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Someone explain to me how Morkvarg revives and goes up in power rather than down (IE during a round change).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BabyRyoga posted:

Someone explain to me how Morkvarg revives and goes up in power rather than down (IE during a round change).

Base Strength.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

whats the best budget deck i can grind for weeks so i can play a real deck with,

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Inverse posted:

whats the best budget deck i can grind for weeks so i can play a real deck with,

Eredin weather or Dagon weather. Craft 3 Celaeno Harpies if you don't have them already.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

I still really like Keira but a lot of people think she's not worth it

She's great, if you ignore the fact she is a silver mage on a gold body. NR are such a mess right now

BabyRyoga posted:

He loses base strength when he revives, and he revives on full health. It doesn't matter what health he is on when the round ends

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd complain about the games lagging out and disconnecting but it gives you a free win so

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there anything in place like Hearthstone where if you craft something and then it gets nerfed, you can mill it for full value? There are cards like RNR that would be really awesome to have, but I don't play enough to accumulate huge piles of scrap, and it would seriously suck to spend it all and end up with a useless card soon afterward

CDPR has said there will be a system in place for this in the future, but it's not to be expected in beta when cards, and the game, are going through such drastic changes. But sure, in the full release you can expect it. Just craft stuff now and don't worry about it being so bad. Eventually you'll probably have everything anyway.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ShowTime posted:

CDPR has said there will be a system in place for this in the future, but it's not to be expected in beta when cards, and the game, are going through such drastic changes. But sure, in the full release you can expect it. Just craft stuff now and don't worry about it being so bad. Eventually you'll probably have everything anyway.

They've said it will be in place for the open beta, which makes sense since they've also said there wont be any more resets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6dn3gq/refund_system_for_changed_cards_is_planned/

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

Yenn's not wrong. Boar is used in the most broken deck around at the moment but doesn't lend much to deckbuilding outside of that imo. I still really like Keira but a lot of people think she's not worth it, and she's part of a faction that has one extreme cheese deck and seems totally disadvantaged otherwise. Comparing most NR bronzes to other factions is just a depressing exercise.

Whats the NR cheese deck?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

So the inspirational post is the one telling you to netdeck as closely as you can?

GWENT

Sorry I missed this but since you're a hs regular you of all people should know that deviating from a netdeck by about 30% and still being able to climb to 12 against the RnR and Roach and Witches on turn 1 dudes who bought dozens of kegs is very impressive gameplay wise. I wasn't in the closed beta either so it's definitely not because I'm great at the game. From 10 to 12 I had a total of 3 games where my opponent's card quality simply overwhelmed me, the rest were close or winnable with better RNG/plays.

Note that the Eradin weather netdeck isn't even considered tier 1, so there's that as well.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

I found this deck on gwentdb, I'm having a lot of fun with it, and it seems really strong. Peter Saar Gwynleve is a ridiculous card, way better than auckes (the original card in that slot). Actually NG just has ridiculous silvers and golds all around.

\/\/\/ I didn't find him to be that good. What makes him so good? The thing is that the decks that get most hosed by locks always have ways to unlock. You can't counter the reset though. I may not be able to lock a gigantic yarpen but I can reset him down to nothing. Peter's definitely worse against brokvar hunters though. Resetting a huge spotter or Vrihedd Vanguard wins games, too.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 1, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Auckes is also insanely good and most certainly getting nerfed. I'd cut that guardian or decoy and run Auckes.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

\/\/\/ I didn't find him to be that good. What makes him so good? The thing is that the decks that get most hosed by locks always have ways to unlock. You can't counter the reset though. I may not be able to lock a gigantic yarpen but I can reset him down to nothing. Peter's definitely worse against brokvar hunters though. Resetting a huge spotter or Vrihedd Vanguard wins games, too.

He can lock twice, or four times with decoy? Being able to lock both Mork and Olgierd in a turn against boaty SK is insane value. Guardian is annoying but isn't nearly as powerful or useful. You're correct about Peter though he is insanely strong

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I need tips for the 6th monster challenge Dagon, it's driving me insane, I have 3 gryfins and 3 clear sky's, trying to run some potions scorch, swipe or whatever beginner deck mostly I wish I could mill, I could probably craft another card or 2..

I have tried throwing the first round a lot, and sometimes taking most of his cards in round one and throwing round 2.

My best cards are monster but to no avail, I have a ghoul and 2 whatsits that spawn when consume is used, but the units and monster units are too weak to survive even if I clear every round, I've tied him like 5 times now just need one more damage or better card draw, deck, skill.

I guess "nv" decks do good but I'm having a hard time piloting it and I lose 3 clear panel of weather's.

Saving one clear sky for rng or ragnorok or whatever, I have the unit that locks and the other lock that removes gold, I can only run one right? Maybe if I could weather him I could vampire up my units and drop golds while I whittle, or if I had fog units besides foglet, or 3 resilient horesman I have 1.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 1, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I need tips for the 6th monster challenge Dagon, it's driving me insane, I have 3 gryfins and 3 clear sky's, trying to run some potions scorch, swipe or whatever beginner deck mostly I wish I could mill, I could probably craft another card or 2..

I have tried throwing the first round a lot, and sometimes taking most of his cards in round one and throwing round 2.

My best cards are monster but to no avail, I have a ghoul and 2 whatsits that spawn when consume is used, but the units and monster units are too weak to survive even if I clear every round, I've tied him like 5 times now just need one more damage or better card draw, deck, skill.

I guess "nv" decks do good but I'm having a hard time piloting it and I lose 3 clear panel of weather's.

Saving one clear sky for rng or ragnorok or whatever, I have the unit that locks and the other lock that removes gold, I can only run one right? Maybe if I could weather him I could vampire up my units and drop golds while I whittle, or if I had fog units besides foglet, or 3 resilient horesman I have 1.

Northern Realms seems to work well. I made one with all commons/starters and just tested it out and it worked first try (I drew ok).

The AI is bugged with redanian knights and will fog them, which ends up buffing them.

Plan is to keep redanian knights in hand, mull all but one reaver hunter, keep a few first lights, then whatever. Ideally you'll get some weather clearing guys.

Round 1 you play the knights and let the AI glitch out while you do whatever, play trebuchets and protect them (it doesn't matter). You and the AI will probably play to the last two cards or so but you'll likely win.

Round 2 pass.

Round 3 play the reaver hunter then henselt leader ability.

If you have better silvers/golds feel free to use them but Sile is very nice in this deck, keep her.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Yeah that's not half bad but I seem to be missing 3-8 cards on starter actually.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just fought a Dwarf ST deck that was entirely Premium :stare:

EDIT: Ugh Nilfgaard mirrors. So many cows.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 1, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Blegh, first pulled legendary and it was a dupe. How do so many people have decks with a full 4 legendaries in it? Even in casual it's pretty common, and most of them aren't even the ones you get in starter decks. Have I just been really unlucky with kegs, or are there just a lot of people spending money on this? It seems like the prices are honestly pretty reasonable, so that wouldn't surprise me, but whew this is gonna be a grind for F2P. The upside is I'm slowly collecting a ton of rares and commons for other decks I need. Epics seem way more rare than they are supposed to be - I think I've only seen 1 so far, same as legendaries, but they aren't that bad, scrap-wise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone mind commenting on babbies first deck? I'm level 3 so milled a few cards to get Serrit & Cynthia. No idea if its any good but I'm enjoying playing it:

I'm a bit unsure if I should be running more special cards but it's tricky to learn. Finding it hard to gauge how much the FLs do as well, but I kinda get hosed if I don't have them. Maybe bin the Decoy?

I find both the Mangonels and Fire Scorpions to be weak, I ended up cutting them. The Rot Tossers also don't really do much, you run them more because of the spy tag than the board clears, and Reveal doesn't use Impera Enforcers. In general reveal got a lot of support in OB but still struggles to have a more threatening control package. Mangonels still suffer from the same issue, they get removed and you can't get them back, and the Fire Scorpions just dealing 3(6 in total) damage doesn't seem enough most of the time.

You want the Impera Golems do clean out your deck. Engineers are real dodgy, putting Engineers in your deck makes passing strength through rounds a big part of your strategy and there's too many Peter Saars, Mardroemes, and locks around to make that possible. You'll waste your Spotters on R1/2 when they are your R3 winners. The Alchemists are okay, without Vattier or even Leo you are lacking Reveal power so it's alright.

In silvers you want to replace decoy and scorch with Vanhemar and Alzurs Double Cross to pull out your big boy spotters with extra strength as to protect your other Spotters from nasty accidents. I also like The Guardian more than Serrit or even Auckes for Reveal, mess up their mulligans and FL pulls, and it's a "soft reveal" card for you.

In golds it's really Leo and Vattier you missing.

Also Nilfgaard's totally official and not up for debate best Silver ranking:

T1(Should craft right now):
Peter Saar
Vanhemar
Assire
Cantarella
Joachim de Wett

T2(Pretty good):
The Guardian
Auckes
Cynthia

T3(good but outclassed by own faction silvers):
Sweers
Albrich
Serrit
Fringilla

T4(whatever):
Treason
Ceallach
Fake Ciri

Yeah that's right, Auckes for scrubs. But yeah NG has way too good silvers, and Peter is probably the best silver in the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

This game's really loving hard sometimes

It's like the one video game I won't play drunk because it's just bewildering to play non-sober

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for replies all. Will get gaming and crafting!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Do we know how long the seasons are?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

Do we know how long the seasons are?

2 months. This one will probably end on July 31st.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

2 months. This one will probably end on July 31st.

Thanks! Just wondering how long I have to climb that ladder for all the portraits and rewards and stuff

This game is addictive.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Even though we were just talking about this, I completely forgot about the full refund scrap on cards getting nerfed when I had the choice between 3 legendaries, 3 of which I had and 1 of which was Drought. Definitely take cards like that if you have the option and hold onto them. If you get the chance for a 2nd Rag Nar Roog, Drought, Tibor, etc, take it and hold onto it. Probably just cost myself 600 scrap, which is a small thing but something to consider for the immediate future.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah Nilfgaard needs a nerf. Their cards are ridiculously strong, and they have enough deck cycling to make sure that they draw all the pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

what the hell