Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands and I couldn't figure out where the subtitle option was in the menu. Turns out you can't turn them on in game for some reason and instead have to be all the way out at the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I bought WASTED a while back when it was on sale but refunded it due to the SOB Cooler mechanic being so insanely unfun. With it being in the Humble Bundle combined with a recent patch that lets you disable him I thought I'd give it another try and it's still very much a game I want to like but is dragged down by its insistence on being a roguelike with procedural generation. There's never enough ammo which means you can loot tons of guns but still have to use melee 75% of the time, which is only made worse by the fact that due to the randomization there are a lot of enemies and objects that can explode so most of my deaths were due to having a dude blow up with no way of knowing beforehand that it could happen.

It sucks because Mr Podunkian obviously put a lot of time and effort into it and its impressive how he managed to distill the dungeon crawling of the 3d Fallout games into its own thing, but he just completely dropped the ball at actually balancing it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
When you beat Vanquish, you do a shmup credit sequence. Unfortunately you can't skip that because I think it's tied to your overall score in that run.

Oh, and there's a statue up on a terrace you can't see until you take an elevator ride and if you're too slow, you'll miss out on it because you get checkpointed immediately once you reach the top.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

When you beat Vanquish, you do a shmup credit sequence. Unfortunately you can't skip that because I think it's tied to your overall score in that run.

Oh, and there's a statue up on a terrace you can't see until you take an elevator ride and if you're too slow, you'll miss out on it because you get checkpointed immediately once you reach the top.

Ah, so it's a very Platinum game, then?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

Ah, so it's a very Platinum game, then?

More or less.

It doesn't grade you per fight, but there are hidden mechanics it won't tell you up front that you have to figure out.

Out of all of their games, it's the one that reminds me the most of Viewtiful Joe.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

SiKboy posted:

In fallout 3 it was fairly common for people not to realise that you had a flashlight (it was a loading screen tip and in the manual, but a lot of people still missed it).

Here's the thing, because it's funny how it works out: the FO3 tip says you can turn off the Pipboy light. It doesn't say flashlight. Just light. And it doesn't tell you to turn on the light, only to turn it off. So... if the game is telling me how to turn something off I'm going to assume it's something that is on by default. The pipboy screen is lit up, maybe that's the light? So I press the button and nothing happens. Then I go okay I guess it doesn't work, and I seem to be able to stealth just fine maybe they took that feature out because it was annoying to have to turn your Pipboy's screen on and off. Except, it just so happens the button needs to be held. And from memory it doesn't tell you to hold the button.

EDIT: I was wrong about that last bit. It does say press and hold. Must have missed that or forgotten it by the time I tried. Or maybe I didn't see that screen cause the light tips are spread out over multiple loading screens.

Futuresight has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Jun 1, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Enemies in Darksiders can almost never be interrupted by your attacks, so fights always consist of doing as much of your favourite combo as you can and dodging out of the way as soon as you see an enemy winding up. It also makes the counter move way less useful and harder to use than it should be, because perfectly blocking the first hit in a combo means you'll get hit by the second hit before you can counter.

It also has the closest I've ever seen to a perfectly reversed difficulty curve. Health is the main thing, almost the only thing, that makes the game easier, and it has way fewer "heart pieces" to be found in the wild than Zelda does, so you basically just get tankier and tankier as you kill bosses, which makes them easier and easier as the game progresses, and nothing really ever makes up for it. The end result is that the first boss can kill you in 3 hits, but you're basically invincible when you face the final boss.

Edit: Having played the game before, I also know that toward the end, you get a sword that is already at max level and replaces your original (better looking) sword, making your earlier sword level pointless.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jun 2, 2017

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really enjoy the degrading weapons in BOTW because it's easy to continually get high level weapons while exploring, and actually has a certain sense of scaling in that weaker-monster areas have crap weapons so if you break them all then you need to pick up the 12 damage weapon instead of the 34 damage weapon you've been using. It makes higher-level areas more stressful at first glance, and you feel more stable as you explore and collect weapons from enemies that are more geared for the area.

What I don't like about the breaking weapons system is that if I toss a sword with it's really wonky arc and clearly hit a Hinox with it, it can sometimes just go "lol nah you missed" and it exploded on the ground. Let me have another try, it landed on a patch of grass! :saddowns:

Also I was really disappointed that the big rear end island way off in the SE is just one glorified shrine instead of a new area with more stuff to do. Just a bunch of garbage chests, one reward, and an extremely annoying process to go through on the island. Having to fight a Hinox with only trash weapons, some boulders, and whatever arrows I scrounged up sucked. Just 15 minutes of kiting it and slashing its eye with a jumping attack using rusted broadsword-strength weapons.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I love BotW, but my biggest peeve with it is you can only store/display 9 items in your house at a time, three for each item type. That's about the same as in Skyrim, but the difference is Skyrim gives you a house in literally every city, Link only gets one. And that suck cause I'd love to have a housing sidequest in each village in BotW.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What sucks is that I'd much rather have a house in Tarrey Town since you help build the entire place up but I understand why your house is in Hateno (because it is implied it was Link's house 100 years ago)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I got the Return to Arkham collection on PS4, and I'm playing Arkham Asylum again. It's still a good game, I love it, but combat feels a little clunkier compared to the newer titles. Batman is just a hair slower than in City or Knight, I think, and it's throwing me off.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

I got the Return to Arkham collection on PS4, and I'm playing Arkham Asylum again. It's still a good game, I love it, but combat feels a little clunkier compared to the newer titles. Batman is just a hair slower than in City or Knight, I think, and it's throwing me off.

I replayed Asylum shortly after being done with Knight and it just feels a lot worse. They improved it a lot as the series went on and it's a bit rough to go back to the earliest instalment. With that and titans being miserable, I couldn't be bothered getting past Bane.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

thecluckmeme posted:

I really enjoy the degrading weapons in BOTW because it's easy to continually get high level weapons while exploring, and actually has a certain sense of scaling in that weaker-monster areas have crap weapons so if you break them all then you need to pick up the 12 damage weapon instead of the 34 damage weapon you've been using. It makes higher-level areas more stressful at first glance, and you feel more stable as you explore and collect weapons from enemies that are more geared for the area.

Personally my dislike of the degrading weapons isn't anything to do with the availability of new weapons, but rather just how annoying it is having to open the menu so frequently in the middle of combat to select a new weapon. The moments when you kill a bokoblin by breaking your weapon on his face and then grab the weapon he dropped and keep fighting without a pause are actually great.

That's a universal pet peeve of mine in games - any time I need to pause the game and open a menu in the middle of combat, it's going to wreck the flow and satisfaction of the action for me. Using healing items in BOTW is similarly awful, and I pretty much didn't use magic in FFXV because it had the same problem. Probably part of why Monster Hunter and Dark Souls are my favorite game series.

(Oh, and the other reason I disliked degrading weapons was because it kind of neutered the excitement of getting items out of chests or as drops, especially compared to other Zelda games. No reason to be hyped about getting this lightning sword when it's only going to last for two minutes.)

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The thing I dislike about botw is that fairies don't respawn until you use them, and I'm pretty sure the Great Fairy near Tarrey doesn't spawn healing fairies at all which is garbage. I don't want to have to keep running to springs and slowly chasing these flighty little assholes!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Professor Wayne posted:

You shouldn't have to. They're rude for ending the conversation early.

Otis?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gitro posted:

I replayed Asylum shortly after being done with Knight and it just feels a lot worse. They improved it a lot as the series went on and it's a bit rough to go back to the earliest instalment. With that and titans being miserable, I couldn't be bothered getting past Bane.

Yeah, I recently replayed Asylum a few weeks ago after playing Knight again randomly and the combat is so much simpler. I was surprised when I got the achievement for using every move in a single combo less than half way through the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

What I don't like about the breaking weapons system is that if I toss a sword with it's really wonky arc and clearly hit a Hinox with it, it can sometimes just go "lol nah you missed" and it exploded on the ground. Let me have another try, it landed on a patch of grass! :saddowns:

Also I was really disappointed that the big rear end island way off in the SE is just one glorified shrine instead of a new area with more stuff to do. Just a bunch of garbage chests, one reward, and an extremely annoying process to go through on the island. Having to fight a Hinox with only trash weapons, some boulders, and whatever arrows I scrounged up sucked. Just 15 minutes of kiting it and slashing its eye with a jumping attack using rusted broadsword-strength weapons.

I liked that Hinox fight. Whipped up some banana and crab stew and killed him in a few hits.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In Mass Effect Andromeda some idiot put the dev console on the ~ key, which is right next to the 1 key (use primary ability) and the tab key (open weapon select wheel). So, you'll be in a big fight, and you fat finger it, and all of a sudden none of the keys work and you die. The last thing you see is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwadwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww1111wwww11ww in the dev console, mocking you as the screen fades to black.

You can't disable it or rebind it either, I've read about people physically removing the ~ key from their keyboard to get round the issue. I ended up downloading some special program that convinces the OS that the ~ key doesn't exist.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Some idiot bound the console to the key that consoles are normally bound to in games?

It's lovely the game doesn't pause when you open the console but, uh, that's the key that's supposed to open it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RyokoTK posted:

Some idiot bound the console to the key that consoles are normally bound to in games?

It's lovely the game doesn't pause when you open the console but, uh, that's the key that's supposed to open it.

Most games allow you to rebind or disable it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

It's more that the whole situation is idiotic, and moving the Console key somewhere else is one of the easiest ways to fix it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Sorry for your poor hand eye coordination i guess.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry for your poor hand eye coordination i guess.

What does that have to do with anything, you don't look at the keyboard while playing the game :confused:

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 1, 2017

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

some games were designed with a controller in mind rather than kbm and while that doesnt excuse poor design oversights its important for your own satisfaction to have both available for use

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Is it possible to rebind the other controls to different buttons? Not the best solution, but it would keep you from fat fingering the ~ button.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That Platinum hasn't made a spiritual sequel to God Hand.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Look at this scrub with an American keyboard.

Just change the input language to whatever European language; my Icelandic one moves it far away.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Moon Monster posted:

I liked that Hinox fight. Whipped up some banana and crab stew and killed him in a few hits.

Huh I just yoinked the sphere off of his necklace when it came close enough for me to, then booked it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

It started thundering while I was fighting him, so I used the thrown weapon/lightning trick to take a few good chunks of health off him. That was fun.

Content: I downloaded spacechem onto my phone recently so I could play it on a long journey but the UI is pretty bad on a phone. Everything is super tiny and poorly placed, so I keep opening the notification tray when I'm trying to do stuff. It seems like it'd work better on a tablet, but it seems silly not to have redesigned it a bit so it would work on a phone too. I've got a Nexus 5x so it's not exactly a small screen either.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Some of the enemies in Dead Cells could stand be toned down a bit. There's these scorpion-chain fuckers that appeared in the latest area I got to, they do a 1-2 combo with the grab and a big smash that hits for like 200 damage. Level 3 or 4 health gives you just shy of 400, and with the highest health I've had so far I've hit 550. Also I got killed by it because it was loving invisible until I got within a metre of it, then it grabbed me and smashed me and I died.

The devs released a beta patch and it added a ton of good poo poo but also made the +flat damage power a percentage thing with a drawback and I'm sad. It's probably still really good, but is it as good? I don't know, I'm not good enough to risk increased damage taken, and getting a stupid base damage on a spammable weapon like the whip was hilarious.

Oh yeah, and elite enemies have auras or something around them and they spawn adds continuously, and between that and the effects my poo poo puts out I find it really difficult to tell what they're doing a lot of the time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm playing the first Silent hill game and i'm already stuck at the beginning, I found the house key in the dog house,found the key in the cop car trunk and found the key next to the dogs head that was used as a basketball, where the gently caress's the other key, i'm just wandering around in circles getting annoyed at myself.

Edit: nevermind,found it,loving foggy rear end game.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm playing Outlast and it's a very annoying game. You're given a lovely maze to walk around in, often while being chased, in the dark, with a limited source of light to see. The game's really bad at letting you know where to go or why you're going there. It's got some irritating map design too. I'm surprised this sold well enough to warrant a sequel.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

That Platinum hasn't made a spiritual sequel to God Hand.

you mentioned in the other thread that it was on sale for $3 and i kept searching ps store like a madman. then i realized you probably meant on ps3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

you mentioned in the other thread that it was on sale for $3 and i kept searching ps store like a madman. then i realized you probably meant on ps3.

Yeah for PS3. I'd rebuy it a fourth time though if it hit PS4 just so they could get money for it. The first two copies are used PS2 games found at garage sales. If I combine them they equal one fully working copy.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The fact that no game, to my knowledge, has used God Hand's combo creation system is a crime. I spent so much time making lovely combos in that game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

The fact that no game, to my knowledge, has used God Hand's combo creation system is a crime. I spent so much time making lovely combos in that game.

Didn't Remember Me do something similar?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I can't quite remember.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Morpheus posted:

What is the system? Remember Me had a system where you could roll your own combos, basically. You designed your combos and customized them around your play-style so that two people playing the game could end up with entirely different moves.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Aleph Null posted:

What is the system? Remember Me had a system where you could roll your own combos, basically. You designed your combos and customized them around your play-style so that two people playing the game could end up with entirely different moves.

in God Hand you could either unlock moves or purchase them at a shop and you could sell back moves you didn't want.

i think you either assign moves to face buttons or to combination strings (someone correct me on this I'm trying to remember Kung Fu Jesus' LP when he swapped out moves).

along with that there's tokens you could spend to perform moves from a God Roulette (you cycle through which special move you wanna do) and a meter that builds up when you chain combos, dodge attacks, and taunt enemies. when your meter is full you unleash the God Hand and are pretty much invincible as long as it's active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aleph Null posted:

My thing dragging Remember Me down is that for all intents and purposes, it SHOULD have been a fun, Arkham City style brawler, but it managed to imitate the combat without any of the excitement. Also the whole memory hacking thing only comes up three or four times in the plot and the rest is just kicking zombies.