Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I don't really want to spoil anything, and I just finished watching so I have to think about what to say about the plot.

But what a great season, I love this show. Jennifer is *so* good. And that ending! :wtc:

I've tried to get some people to watch before, I shall redouble my efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spit spot! I have a real good British accent don't I, guvnor? Tuppence! Lundun! Shite!

(Otherwise I enjoyed this -- the (episode 10) Olivia reveal was fabulous -- loved that music. But some of those accents, oh my bloody ears.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 22, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This season is the final for the show, right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope, see you next year for season 4!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Only up to episode 2, but holy gently caress at that scene with Ramse mercy killing his kid, especially after searching so long. That was some heavy poo poo.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Kilson posted:

But what a great season, I love this show. Jennifer is *so* good. And that ending! :wtc:

emptyquoting

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell of a season. 2018 is gonna be sick. I love this drat show.

Gaius Baltar spinning in a circle with machineguns was the height of :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The last half of the final episode was amazing.

I'll have to rewatch it later because I probably missed it, but what was the meaning with the final scene and the Ouroboros story? Cole's mom gonna play some part in s4 I guess?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
In episode 9, can anybody understand what the doctor lady is saying around the 7 minute mark?

"But no man's charm is so [???] who knows himself well."

The subtitles say the "???" part is "practiced" but I really don't think that's correct, she doesn't say that exact word (and the sentence wouldn't make any grammatical sense if that was it) but I can't really make out what it could otherwise be either.

I've listened to that part many times over to try and make out what she's saying, but alas. If anyone knows, I'll be very glad to hear it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

In episode 9, can anybody understand what the doctor lady is saying around the 7 minute mark?

The subtitles say the "???" part is "practiced" but I really don't think that's correct, she doesn't say that exact word (and the sentence wouldn't make any grammatical sense if that was it) but I can't really make out what it could otherwise be either.

I've listened to that part many times over to try and make out what she's saying, but alas. If anyone knows, I'll be very glad to hear it.

drat you... now i've been over it. I think she means, A man who knows who he is doesn't require practice for his charms. Because it's a facade and she can see it a mile away.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy poo poo episode 5 owns so hard. Emily Hampshire is a force of nature.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The last half of the final episode was amazing.

I'll have to rewatch it later because I probably missed it, but what was the meaning with the final scene and the Ouroboros story? Cole's mom gonna play some part in s4 I guess?

Jennifer is his mom?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I've watched the last episode like 3 times now and I still grin like an idiot when Ethan is on his way in and we get that amazing "HEEEEEEEEEEERES JOHNNY"

Emily Hampshire is a treasure.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Also just binged through the season over the past 3 days. This show's quality really never dropped.
Just too bad nobody watches it.

I had heard Christopher Lloyd was in it, but I was a bit disappointed we only got a couple of scenes.
Emily owns every scene she's in.

My gf who doesn't follow the show just saw the 99 luftballon scene and she thought it was silly....

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Just binge watched it.

It's good, but at this stage I am a bit frustrated at the reset-button new-threat style endings.

You thought Ramsay was The Witness, turns out the real mastermind is someone else and this is all part of his plan.
You thought they were stopping The Witness, turns out he's Cole's and Cassie's son and this is all part of his plan.
You thought they were stopping The Witness, turns out the real threat is Witness 2.0 and this is all part of her plan.

So I like the episodes, but I sort of think the season wide arcs are padding things out or stalling for time. Because it keeps turning out that they spent a whole season fighting someone who was just a pawn of the REAL enemy. Sounds like s4 is the final planned season though, so presumably they've finished setting up new villains.

S3 does play a bit fast and loose with the time travel rules compared to S1, but I thought it was a bit saner than S2 (which went pretty heavy on TIME MAGIC).

Anyway like everybody else I thought Jennifer was great, especially because it seems like that character could be really annoying if played wrong so it's a difficult thing to pull off.

I also particularly liked Gauis Baltar smugging it up, though I'm not entirely sure why he thought he was so invincible all the time. "And there's nothing you can do to stop me!" *is immediately stopped*

less laughter posted:

"But no man's charm is so practiced who knows himself well." make sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is his master plan of "I'll prove I'm not a rich entitled rear end in a top hat by paying everyone in a fancy restaurant to take off their jackets to impress you".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of Ramsey, I am impressed that he stayed dead(for now :tinfoil:). You totally deserved worse Ramsey :colbert:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Elite posted:

Just binge watched it.

It's good, but at this stage I am a bit frustrated at the reset-button new-threat style endings.

You thought Ramsay was The Witness, turns out the real mastermind is someone else and this is all part of his plan.
You thought they were stopping The Witness, turns out he's Cole's and Cassie's son and this is all part of his plan.
You thought they were stopping The Witness, turns out the real threat is Witness 2.0 and this is all part of her plan.

So I like the episodes, but I sort of think the season wide arcs are padding things out or stalling for time. Because it keeps turning out that they spent a whole season fighting someone who was just a pawn of the REAL enemy. Sounds like s4 is the final planned season though, so presumably they've finished setting up new villains.

I was thinking about this, and I think it is actually intentional. Still kind of frustrating, but the show has tons of loops like this. Like the time travel facility is guarded by soldiers. Who are then killed. But then Deacon's men step up and guard the facility. Who are then killed. But then the Daughters step up and guard the facility. I thought that played well into the Deacon being told "Some people are important, other's aren't, maybe you are just the path of least resistance." The facility is too important to not be guarded, so time conspires to keep it so.

If anything this season did well, it is making a pretty convincing case of time being an antagonist. Just not as bad as Olivia who wants to be god.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of Ramsey, I am impressed that he stayed dead(for now :tinfoil:). You totally deserved worse Ramsey :colbert:

While I agree with this, I wish TV would stop killing Kirk Acevedo. Fringe. Agents of Shield. Band of Brothers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He was a cop this past week on the season finale of Law & Order: SVU.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

While I agree with this, I wish TV would stop killing Kirk Acevedo. Fringe. Agents of Shield. Band of Brothers.

It's scientifically accurate. Avocados don't live forever.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

It's scientifically accurate. Avocados don't live forever.

They do if you put them on toast.

And I suppose I can't technically count Fringe, his alternate in the other universe survived. For that matter my favorite episode of 12 Monkeys is probably the one where Ramsey spends like 11 years in a Tokyo prison and owns the poo poo out of that one dude. It's easy to forget Ramsey was fluent in Japanese and spent like 25 years in the past before coming back.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 27, 2017

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
I finally, finally got to finish out the season, and oh man. It makes me so sad that none of my friends will watch it. I thought the first half of the final ep was a little heavy handed with the explaining, but I loved it. Jennifer's heist ep was by far my favorite though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quincyh posted:

I finally, finally got to finish out the season, and oh man. It makes me so sad that none of my friends will watch it. I thought the first half of the final ep was a little heavy handed with the explaining, but I loved it. Jennifer's heist ep was by far my favorite though.

Deacon's enthusiasm for the heist was my highlight of the whole season.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

And I suppose I can't technically count Fringe, his alternate in the other universe survived.

But that one was played by his doppelgänger, Kirk Guacamole.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

I was thinking about this, and I think it is actually intentional. Still kind of frustrating, but the show has tons of loops like this. Like the time travel facility is guarded by soldiers. Who are then killed. But then Deacon's men step up and guard the facility. Who are then killed. But then the Daughters step up and guard the facility. I thought that played well into the Deacon being told "Some people are important, other's aren't, maybe you are just the path of least resistance." The facility is too important to not be guarded, so time conspires to keep it so.

If anything this season did well, it is making a pretty convincing case of time being an antagonist. Just not as bad as Olivia who wants to be god.

To me it seems they're sort of hedging about how many seasons they'll get. So if they had 1 season Ramsay would have been The Witness, if they had 2 there would have been a confrontation with The Witness, if they had 3 Ethan would have been the true witness (whether or not he was redeemed). So they write a self-contained season, but then spin it out when they know they've been renewed. Maybe that sounds like a clever way to do things, but it keeps feeling like they're building to a conclusion that doesn't really happen.

So this season was about Ethan. We spend a full season learning how the baby becomes the boy becomes the man, but in the end because another villain replaces him he doesn't seem that important.

Olivia does play an important role in s3, but Olivia doesn't seem any different in episode 10 than episode 1 nor did we really anything new about her (future Olivia may be a bit different though). So we spend a full season developing a character who may not matter much in s4, meanwhile the enemy who will be extremely relevant in s4 felt kind of stagnant (arguably developed more in s2, or the s2-s3 transition). Yeah with time shenanigans and pre-planning things up it might be a bit more complicated than that but still Ethan's cycle ended (unless he pulls a Ramsay and comes back from the dead like 3 or 4 times).

So I thought the finale was good, I thought the episodes were good but in combination it was frustrating to spend a full season explaining the motives of the villain then it turns out that actually somebody else was the villain. Well I guess it's possible that Ethan was originally The (real) Witness but James and Cassie changed the timestream to redeem him and instead Olivia took over, but Ethan's lines of "the thing I believed I was meant to become, the sad lonely demon at the end of time, was never me.", "the promise of a timeless realm, the deceiver. It was always you Olivia." makes it sound like that is not the case. And being primary which is basically time magic means he probably knows what he's talking about. And maybe I'm being overly literal, but "ALWAYS" and "NEVER" are not ambiguous words. But then again he also says nothing is written so who knows really. I guess I just would've liked it if he actually chose to reject his destiny, rather than realizing his destiny wasn't actually HIS destiny. If that happened then it would seem like James and Cassie accomplished something, even if it just meant someone else took up the mantle in his stead.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
His name isn't Ethan but Athan.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well, Athan (it indeed is Athan, credited as such on IMDB, nice catch) IS the Witness. He wrote the prophecy and is the one born out of time.
Olivia just usurps him and takes his place as the leader, and to not confuse the followers she declares herself as the "true witness", or Witness 2.0.

What isn't clear though is if any/all/some of the visions and messages she had receiver in "her" past were given to her by Witness 1.0. Or if everything was orchestrated by 2.0.

Was the coup predestined, or a result of the actions of Cole and Cassie?

I like your theory of the self contained seasons, with the plot twist being shot only after their renewal was guaranteed.
If this is truly the case more producers should start thinking like this, instead of keeping us hanging after a cancellation.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Todd Stashwick's got some real range as an actor. The scenes where Deacon was hallucinating his father and played both of them (until the reveal) seemed like two completely different people.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
do NOT poo poo on ramse in my presence i repeat do NOT say a bad thing about my beautiful boy, online or off!!

this show has been making GBS threads on the only decent human being since day 1 and i love him. i love ramse and you are dead to me if you do not

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

One of the few to survive Oz though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Did we actually get to see the scene in which Future rear end in a top hat warns rear end in a top hat from Future rear end in a top hat's perspective?
I can't recall it.

But Future rear end in a top hat definitely is in the past to our Current-End-Of-Season rear end in a top hat as he Paradoxed his watch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nah, that happens closer to the end. Cassandra has that streak of white in her hair when Future Assholes is talking to rear end in a top hat. And he clearly talks about other things we haven't even heard of yet.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Oh wait I was wrong.

He didn't paradox Cassie's watch but the Witness' timepiece.
Darn all those clocks and watches, why are they apparently so important in a show about Time Travel.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

spaceships posted:

do NOT poo poo on ramse in my presence i repeat do NOT say a bad thing about my beautiful boy, online or off!!

this show has been making GBS threads on the only decent human being since day 1 and i love him. i love ramse and you are dead to me if you do not

I used to love him, but that was before he decided his son he met like one time was more important than the whole of humanity, and then betrayed Cole like eight times, and then was a giant hypocrite because only HE gets to sacrifice the whole of humanity for someone he loves and anyone else who does it is weak/an rear end in a top hat, and also, man, I know that scene where he kills his son is supposed to be moving but all I could think was "Why the gently caress are you smothering him, go get a gun and do it fast instead of making him suffer for like five minutes, you tool!"

Fite me

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hello, thread.

I've been busy with work and my music project and I've not joined you all in the new season, until now.

I just watched Ep. 1 and my first impression is that it's fantastic. I saw the new thread title and I'm happy to know what it means, now.

I might be able to squeeze in Ep 2. before I absolutely have to go to bed for work tomorrow (today) but I just wanted to say that Ep 1 has the appropriate amount of tragedy and comedy and mystery and yeah it made me want to murder a fictional character or two so to me, it's off to a great start.

Highlight for me was [spoiler]99 Red Balloons[/spoilers] montage, that was sick funny crazy. I haven't read a single post since the season aired and I won't until I get to the end. I have a lot (well, for me it's a lot) going on and keeping up with the show just got higher on the list but unfortunately I don't suddenly have more time to finish.

All I can say is I hope Ep 1 is indicative of what I can expect in the next nine eps.

I'll drop in and comment on stuff as I watch, but once I get through it all I'll read all of your reactions and compare them to mine. drat, Ep. 1 was awesome. So, I'm current rear end in a top hat, and sorry but I guess I'll be future rear end in a top hat for a week or two.

I hope the thread is doing well (of course I suppose that depends on where this season goes) and I'll drop in as I can, until I am fully caught up.

Splinter sequence activated. *disappears*

E: Oops. I broke my own rule and watched E1-3. God. drat. Nothing to say now, it's too much but the show, it has not disappointed. See you all later.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 1, 2017

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Hi there,
See ya in two weeks.

On another note. Poor turtle, that was really cruel and I didn't think Jennifer would do such a thing.
Less cool was the "suit protects you from a paradox" deus ex machina. Doesn't make sense.
Brilliant on the other hand was the 3 months of solitary confinement in 5 minute. "Do we have a room where we havent been in or near for a long time?"...sick.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Hi there,
See ya in two weeks.

On another note. Poor turtle, that was really cruel and I didn't think Jennifer would do such a thing.

Did the turtle die? Every time they've paradoxed before, the two items just sort of explode and become one item. It's implied (or stated?) that Cole only survives this in s1 because he's a time traveler, but so was the turtle.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Quincyh posted:

Every time they've paradoxed before, the two items just sort of explode and become one item.

Actually, I think the older object is destroyed -- the younger object has to travel through time to arrive at the meeting, and eventually explode.

If they became the same object, then what you'd effectively be getting is a completely new object. Not and older watch, or a younger watch, but an entirely separate third watch -- which therefore couldn't create the paradox explosion effect.

(Yes, probably shouldn't try applying anything approaching logic to the show's time travel.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 1, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Evernoob posted:

It's okay, otter-eyes. Turtles that get paradox'd go to live in the red forest, happily ever after :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I miss S1 and the discussions after each episode.

• Locked thread