Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe you should give pcsx2 a shot? It's pretty good now; popular games will have patches and fixes usually so they'll be playable.

Ooooh is it? I'll look into that as well I emulated Crash Bandicoot a while ago and whichever PS1 emulator I used just didn't run very well. So I've been apprehensive about bothering with that. It has been a while though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Come to think of it, does the PS digital DL version of FF7 have the Wii U Virtual Console save state thing?

I wonder if I can use that to cheese the random seed and finally get that worthless blue materia from the chocobo races that's a random drop.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I didn't buy Disgaea 5 for my Switch last month so maybe I'll buy it this month.

Not sure what else I will buy since FFXII HD is out early next month.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love you card horse.

You showed up every time I lost to explain why and it was so comforting... sometimes I missed you when I won.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

Oooh I didn't know that! I heard that the Steam version wasn't great a while ago so I just assumed they brought the old PC one to steam. I'll have to check that out

There are really only two things that made the original PC port bad. The first was MIDI music. They included a soundfont that helped, but not much so even though the music was serviceable, certain tracks still sounded pretty bad and had various volume and tracking issues. Hell, One Winged Angel didn't even have any vocals! It was also really unstable to the point where Eidos' website had a question about BSODs on the game's support page FAQ list to which they responded "We don't know what causes it or how to fix it. Save often!"

Steam version fixed the stability problem and fans fixed the music, which as I said was made official iirc. Even if it wasn't patching it is trivial. Check the community guides on the Steam page.

Bicyclops posted:

Come to think of it, does the PS digital DL version of FF7 have the Wii U Virtual Console save state thing?

I wonder if I can use that to cheese the random seed and finally get that worthless blue materia from the chocobo races that's a random drop.

You're talking about either Sneak Attack or Counter Magic, neither of which are "worthless" :colbert:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The PC port of FF7 was the first PC game I ever owned (never had a PSx), the only issue I ever had with it was that everything was bound to the numpad and you couldn't change the controls.

e:I never beat it and went away for like summer camp or something and my dad reformatted the computer and I lost like 85 hours, I didn't play FF7 again for like 10 years :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

You're talking about either Sneak Attack or Counter Magic, neither of which are "worthless" :colbert:

I guess they're not worthless worthless, but they definitely do not warrant being the hardest materia in the game to get, because of how often they just won't show up as a racing prize.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

suuma posted:

The PC port of FF7 was the first PC game I ever owned (never had a PSx), the only issue I ever had with it was that everything was bound to the numpad and you couldn't change the controls.

Yes you could.

Bicyclops posted:

I guess they're not worthless worthless, but they definitely do not warrant being the hardest materia in the game to get, because of how often they just won't show up as a racing prize.

Yeah you're probably thinking of Sneak Attack then, because Magic Counter can be found elsewhere in the game. It's almost a necessity for fighting Ruby Weapon and it has a pretty unique property, so that's probably why it's rare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bicyclops posted:

Nope PS1/2 games are emulated as are, no save states

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The version of FFVII on Steam is based on the old PC version but is almost nothing like it anymore (which means it has improvements but the old mods can still work on it). It has cloud saves and a built in cheat thing so you can just boost people to max HP or max out your money.

And then the PS4 version lets you speed the game up by 3 and turn off random encounters in addition to having a button that fully heals you and maxes your limit breaks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:negative:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Lol how is Nintendo still this bad at online stuff

Uhhh like download this external app instead of just chatting through the system that's fine right? OK

I like the way that graphic looks though and if the little adapter is actually squid-shaped... I'm conflicted

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

life is a nightmare but my tekken 7 pre-order finished downloading and maybe I'll finally start nier automata today after buying it like 2 weeks ago

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...what is this

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Yes you could

Alright, well, i was like 11 years old and couldn't figure that out, then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/ProgPro/status/870028791523004420

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

nintendo you beautiful bastards youve done it again

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

...what is this

Nintendo Switch voice chat is gonna be through a phone app, so in order to have both game and voice chat audio come through your headphones you need cords going to both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

an actual dog posted:

Nintendo Switch voice chat is gonna be through a phone app, so in order to have both game and voice chat audio come through your headphones you need cords going to both.

I still lol at this whenever I think about it because of how utterly ridiculous it is

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they laughed, at going to the moon as well. godspeed Nintendo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They almost designed whatever the gently caress that is to look like a Splatoonerz. So close yet so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That thing is going to the moon as much as Bitcoin.

I do appreciate how the switch is plugged into the port labeled with a phone tho

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They're also already 100% committed to it, neither the joycons or pro controller has headphone jacks so this is it!

I'm going to strangle myself in a tangle of wires playing nintendo games online and honestly I'm looking forward to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just create a Discord and chat in there while you play

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haveblue posted:

That thing is going to the moon as much as Bitcoin.

I do appreciate how the switch is plugged into the port labeled with a phone tho

one bitcoin is worth 2.4 thousand dolllars

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"on...line? what is that? do people play video games 'on-line?'" - Nintendo, probably

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just assume the Switch is not powerful enough to run a basic conference call app, makes sense to me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

an actual dog posted:

They're also already 100% committed to it, neither the joycons or pro controller has headphone jacks so this is it!

What?? This is the feature I value more than almost any other part of my PS4's functionality. How is this not standardized by now?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not shown is yet another wire needed as you'll have to plug your phone into a wall to have it not die on you.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

What?? This is the feature I value more than almost any other part of my PS4's functionality. How is this not standardized by now?

The Wii U had this too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Actually Nintendo is being very smart here- their social features are so fucky that you're going to be playing with randos, and you won't want to hear them anyway.

oddium posted:

one bitcoin is worth 2.4 thousand dolllars

Good luck actually turning it into those dollars if you have one

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gamer: " but i want to talk with my friend from another province while playing splatoon together!"

Nintendo: "why is your couch three hundred miles long? get a smaller couch!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you're not playing switch at your computer station with a discord running to talk to your friends, Your'e gameing wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You still need the phone to actually play with them in the first place though, and that is also too much

an actual dog posted:

The Wii U had this too.

I generally don't support arguments that Nintendo is behind the modern era of technology by a step but come on now

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Not shown is yet another wire needed as you'll have to plug your phone into a wall to have it not die on you.

I will wrap myself in a protective cocoon of cables and play Spla2n

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What is this "friend" thing you people keep mentioning???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A fully equipped Switch player, ready for some pro gamin' on the go

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was telling that Nintendo conceived of multiplayer matches at rooftop garden parties, at midnight basketball under overpasses, and in massive eSports arenas... But not at home online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Macaluso posted:

I'm gettin a hankerin to play through Final Fantasy VII again but I'm too lazy to dig my PS2 out of my closet. And apparently the PC version of the game is historically bad. This is the worst situation to happen in the history of the world

The PC version is perfectly fine

• Locked thread