Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nenneke and Assire are both way overstatted as well tbh but it's harder to evaluate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

No Wave posted:

Peter's great but he's only overstatted by about 3. That's a huge amount, don't get me wrong, and he's absolutely an autoinclude, but that extra 3 str isn't the reason Nilfgaard is so much better now than it was.

Nenneke and Assire are both way overstatted as well tbh.

Well he can also weaken an enemy by 3 so he can outright kill off a Doppler on deploy.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

No Wave posted:

Nenneke and Assire are both way overstatted as well tbh but it's harder to evaluate.

They are both great cards and fit right into major deck archetypes for their faction. Nenneke sets up your reavers and Assire sets up anything because Nilfgaard goes through their entire deck easily.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MarshyMcFly posted:

Well he can also weaken an enemy by 3 so he can outright kill off a Doppler on deploy.
My point is that he's a silver mushroom... if he gets insane insane value over mushroom it's because assire lets you play him twice.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I'm just playing casual games with a slightly altered monster starting deck and winning a couple of games here and there, but I did manage to beat all of the challenges. Dagon is a real flipper :shobon:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ShowTime posted:

They are both great cards and fit right into major deck archetypes for their faction. Nenneke sets up your reavers and Assire sets up anything because Nilfgaard goes through their entire deck easily.
The funny part is that I think Nilfgaard originally was supposed to have bad thinning but got huge bronzes like Knight, rot tosser, and spybuffer to make up for it along with some great golds. The devs tried to mitigate this with golems because nilf wasn't doing very well but the novice implementation just suddenly made them the best at everything.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I'm just playing casual games with a slightly altered monster starting deck and winning a couple of games here and there, but I did manage to beat all of the challenges. Dagon is a real flipper :shobon:

:same:

I'm having fun playing casual and figuring out which cards work well together but I feel like it's only a matter of time before I'm constantly up against people using pre-built gwentdb decks and getting trounced every game. Progress seems slow too. 400 scraps to build a decent card, but you only get ~15 for milling? At the rate I earn cards milling isn't much of an option right now.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

The funny part is that I think Nilfgaard originally was supposed to have bad thinning but got huge bronzes like Knight, rot tosser, and spybuffer to make up for it along with some great golds. The devs tried to mitigate this with golems because nilf wasn't doing very well but the novice implementation just suddenly made them the best at everything.

SuperJJ/Lifecoach cycle deck shows very well that Vicovaro Novices aren't needed and only make the deck weaker. When I saw the card I thought people would just use it on cows and ambassadors, cause emissary by themselves are more than enough draw engine.

But I'm pretty sure Nilfgaard was designed in part with the concept of mill deck from day one, it's just that CDPR thought people would go with bigger decks, and not the 25 cookie cutter.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I also got hit by that sweet level 20 random legendary faction leader. Hello 2nd Dagon. Wonder if they are gonna do anything for people that got faction leaders as their random legendary.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You're right. Golems are that broken.

Side note, rally was nerfed a bit since end of cb - end of cb rally pulled your top bronze, new one pulls a random bronze.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Electronico6 posted:

But I'm pretty sure Nilfgaard was designed in part with the concept of mill deck from day one, it's just that CDPR thought people would go with bigger decks, and not the 25 cookie cutter.

They're still providing 0 incentives to ever build decks larger than the absolute minimum of 25 cards. I was hoping that would be one of the big changes from closed beta to open beta. They need some specific card synergies that incentivize that or go with HS system of forcing deck builds from powerful cards (like Reno). I.E. a gold that triggers its effect only if you have at least 35 cards in your deck or more etc.

Or have different deck build rules. Something like a deck at 30 cards gets additional silver slot. A deck at 35 gets an additional gold slot.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 1, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lots of Nilf decks were running 28 cards in the last week. There's no reason to encourage people to make big decks, I don't understand why this is something anyone would want. More cards in general? Yeah, that I want. gently caress Reno everyone hated him by the end.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Electronico6 posted:

They ban people. They talked about it in some of the first Polish dev streams. Because before you could give GG's if the game was only 1 round, so people forfeited right on the mulligan screen, and the usual reaction is "thanks I guess" and just pressed GG button. So they changed being able to GG on just a 1 round game, then banned the more extreme cases.

Though you're not getting banned for being bad at the game. I mean that is your reason right?

Can you still... just hit pass?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Rad Russian posted:

They're still providing 0 incentives to ever build decks larger than the absolute minimum of 25 cards. I was hoping that would be one of the big changes from closed beta to open beta. They need some specific card synergies that incentivize that or go with HS system of forcing deck builds from powerful cards (like Reno). I.E. a gold that triggers its effect only if you have at least 35 cards in your deck or more etc.

Or have different deck build rules. Something like a deck at 30 cards gets additional silver slot. A deck at 35 gets an additional gold slot.

The final patch of CB did see people experimenting with 27-29 card decks with Nilfgaard with some degree of success, but then Consume Monsters and ST Ambush completely owned the meta game. I hope they keep trying to make larger decks a reality, but not through Reno style cards. Reno was a fun card, largely designed as a one off legendary in a paid adventure, not really competitive but opened ways for creative deckbuilding, then Team 5 in it's wisdom decided to turn it into an entire archetype on their crib-noted Ravnica expansion, and in the space of a week Reno went from funny to aggravating.

Probably easier to just design a game mode that is built around 40 cards. Or maybe one day we'll learn that the reason 40 is the limit is just some quirk of the game code due to some early design ideas that they never bothered to revisit.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
people don't gg when they lose in the daytime! two straight games of it! Sad!

(praise toruviel)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Russian posted:

the 'nr' gimmick is they should have a fuckton of cards that are conditionally summoned from deck. Like, they should have 20 different flavors of commander/dbc light

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They just need to add some cards that punish smaller deck sizes in some way or reward larger deck sizes when played.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Besides the ones that already exist, of course.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There's not really enough cards and synergies that draw cards currently, besides Emissary/Novice for NG. And I don't mean the Summon keyword either, but straight up cycle. They could at least add more cards with symmetrical draw, i.e. "do X and draw a card for both players"

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 1, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

With the mages that spawn cards, do you need to actually run that card in the deck? with the wording of Spawn I'm gonna go with no but eh.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Flipswitch posted:

With the mages that spawn cards, do you need to actually run that card in the deck? with the wording of Spawn I'm gonna go with no but eh.

Spawn = No, those cards are made from the digital aether
Summon = Yes, they must be in your deck.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

If the card says it "summons" another you need to have it in your deck, if it says it "spawns" it then you don't.

e: aww, beaten & slapped like a noonwraith's teats :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Double Bill posted:

There's not really enough cards and synergies that draw cards currently, besides Emissary/Novice for NG. And I don't mean the Summon keyword either, but straight up cycle. They could at least add more cards with symmetrical draw, i.e. "do X and draw a card for both players"
There are almost too many already. You don't want it to be easy to get through your whole deck because decks become way too consistent with no downside. Avallach draws two cards for each player of the 15 remaining and Nilfgaard has a few other wacky mechanics. I'm not sure how many more you could add without hosing 25 card decks entirely, which certainly shouldn't be a design goal any more than MTG should have a deck that hoses every 60 card deck.

Pretty much every faction can build a deck that reliably empties their deck but there are trade-offs. This is as it should be.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Goal is variety. I want to see viable decks from 25 to 40 cards. Will make the game more interesting. There's been nothing outside of that gimmick Nilfgaard deck that ran a whopping +2/3 cards over minimum.

I assume they'll just tackle this later since they have larger balance issues to worry about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

Goal is variety. I want to see viable decks from 25 to 40 cards. Will make the game more interesting. There's been nothing outside of that gimmick Nilfgaard deck that ran a whopping +2/3 cards over minimum.
That's an arbitrary metric to have variety over with little return. It's technically variety but the substance is questionable. If decks are stale the first question is the card pool and counters.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
deck sizes are small because 1) the whole point of any cardgame ever is to minimize risk, and 2) you are only allowed 4 great cards and 6 good cards, so you want to blow through your trash as quickly as possible.

If every 3 bronze gave you an extra silver slot and every 5 gave you an extra gold slot it might get people to go as high as 30, but probably not.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That is also why Saskia is ok and golems are obscene.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rework NR to be an attrition deck. Maybe artillery could knock opponents cards from their deck to their graveyard instead of doing direct damage. Running out of cards in later rounds should be a possibly if your deck is too small.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

No Wave posted:

There are almost too many already. You don't want it to be easy to get through your whole deck because decks become way too consistent with no downside. Avallach draws two cards for each player of the 15 remaining and Nilfgaard has a few other wacky mechanics. I'm not sure how many more you could add without hosing 25 card decks entirely, which certainly shouldn't be a design goal any more than MTG should have a deck that hoses every 60 card deck.

Pretty much every faction can build a deck that reliably empties their deck but there are trade-offs. This is as it should be.

I've been playing since CB and don't even know what it looks like when someone runs out of cards, I think they could add at least one more symmetrical draw non-gold neutral without breaking the game.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

No Wave posted:

That is also why Saskia is ok and golems are obscene.

Yeah that's one of the best turn 1s in the game.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

So NG is objectively the best deck? anyone got the deck list?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So Nilfgaard is the new hotness but can I use the Reveal archetype with it?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://gfycat.com/BasicHorribleGalapagosalbatross

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

frajaq posted:

So Nilfgaard is the new hotness but can I use the Reveal archetype with it?

Nilfgaard is one of the top decks and reveal can work in it. Spotters are pretty drat good. Just focus on having the last play in a game and your spotter should win for you. Nilfgaard is by no means the top deck though and people in the top 200 report never seeing it. It's lots of Skellige Morkvarg/Olgierd and Scoia'Tael Control.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kawabata posted:

Yeah that's one of the best turn 1s in the game.

"one of" that is, one of two, and the worse of the two.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

Nilfgaard is one of the top decks and reveal can work in it. Spotters are pretty drat good. Just focus on having the last play in a game and your spotter should win for you. Nilfgaard is by no means the top deck though and people in the top 200 report never seeing it. It's lots of Skellige Morkvarg/Olgierd and Scoia'Tael Control.

IIRC in his last stream Lifecoach was saying NG spies, ST control and SK morkvarg/olgierd are the best three decks right now in no particular order, with some consume/weather hybrid Monster decks having some success too. But Lifecoach is better at winning tournaments than he is at predicting card value/metas, so who knows.

I don't think the card pool will be an issue in terms of variety because while Gwent's is currently small, this is a bit deceiving since they've showed they're not afraid of balancing existing cards to keep the meta interesting. With 20 new cards every 2 months it looks like much more work will be invested into each existing/new piece, making less cards count more.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 1, 2017

nerox
May 20, 2001
The game needs to tell you that you own X numbers of alternate art as well when you go to pick a rare in the pack so you know if you are at 3 total already.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of that weren't there alternate alt for Nekkers in Closed Beta? Why'd they remove them?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nerox posted:

The game needs to tell you that you own X numbers of alternate art as well when you go to pick a rare in the pack so you know if you are at 3 total already.

I thought I had correctly remembered how many shieldmaidens I had. :negative:

The other choices were a rare I definitely had three of and a regular-rear end harpy, so not a particularly big deal, fortunately. Normal harpies are 100% unrunnable until more deathwish cards are released.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

Speaking of that weren't there alternate alt for Nekkers in Closed Beta? Why'd they remove them?

If I remember right one of the streamers visiting CDPR during the Challenger learned that the developers really hated the old Nekker art, which is why we have the new one. They likely didn't bother making alternate arts for that card since they were also working on new card assets and premiums at the same time. So they likely just didn't have time to make alternate arts for the new art Nekker.