Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

"nintey"
Wisconsin
Diarrhea and tomorrow are less than 11 letters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/nevona/status/869780302813646849

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never understand the mentality behind doing that.

"Sure pie charts are hard enough to read. But what if we make them even HARDER?"

I mean if you're going to do a pointless flashy graphic then do some kind of abstract art or something. Don't try to pretend your graphic is also a meaningful graph.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Also I don't think the person who tweeted that actually took time to read the chart or find where it came from in the first place - it's clearly making fun of TED (and it looks like it was created by Wired).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Well, they are only 1% of the talk, so no one expects the visual aids to be any good.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

"nintey"
Wisconsin

i'm curious how else would you spell twelve or nanny

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

"nintey"
Wisconsin

Banana? How else would you spell it? Unless you are doubling on the consonants, I truly cannot imagine any other way to spell banana.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That pie chart graphic is from a Wired article. I think TED takes itself too seriously to summarize its content like that. (not that they wouldn't make a bad graphic, but that they wouldn't describe their talks so reductively)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bananner.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

So, I went to check. :psyduck:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sweeperbravo posted:

People find a way. "would of" instead of "would've" is so common it might as well be an accepted phrasing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

People find a way. "would of" instead of "would've" is so common it might as well be an accepted phrasing.
I wonder if "'ve" to "of" is a thing outside the U.S. as well?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think that paints more of a picture of what spellchecker.net thinks is supposed to be "twelve" than of its userbase's spelling.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

"woulda" is how its said and usually spelled round these parts if the proper contraction is eschewed

"would of" is puttin on airs

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Also people who say "I could care less" which is the loving opposite thing of what they want to say. You could *not* care less, that's the whole point! :argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Also people who say "I could care less" which is the loving opposite thing of what they want to say. You could *not* care less, that's the whole point! :argh:
Irregardless,

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This is all effecting me way to much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Alwaysamore...

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Fathis Munk posted:

It's idiomatic. "I could care less" was used in a sarcastic sense so pervasively that it now has that meaning even when said without a sarcastic tone. Just like "mosey" used to mean "to move quickly", but through the same process now has the opposite meaning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fathis Munk posted:

for all intensive purposes

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

This is all effecting me way to much.

For all intensive purposes,

Edit: gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, poo poo, the bad puns are bad! Cheese it!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

yeah that phrase dropped an 'as if' at some point, maybe that antecedent phrase split off during its huge 90s success and is now lonely, forgotten, and regretting leaving 'I could care less' to pursue Hollywood dreams

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Jose posted:

for all intensive purposes

Riiight I knew we were missing one :doh:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I remember trying to find the etymology a few years back and seeing someone suggest it was a literal translation of Yiddish sarcasm, which honestly makes sense.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

"nintey"
Wisconsin

Not only did they get the color wrong, Arizona and Colorado both have "tomorrow" and are right next to each other.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Not only did they get the color wrong, Arizona and Colorado both have "tomorrow" and are right next to each other.
Those are just failed states that don't know what's tomorrow like. :bahgawd:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

"nintey"
Wisconsin
For those of you wondering like me, "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Actually, the real question here is why is a made up word from a forty (fifty? More? Too lazy to fire up IMDb) year old movie the most common spelling question in two states?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Actually, the real question here is why is a made up word from a forty (fifty? More? Too lazy to fire up IMDb) year old movie the most common spelling question in two states?

Because those states have effective public education, so the words they have trouble spelling are long hard ones. Or, they have inquisitive people who are interested in wierd poo poo like the spelling of archaic movie words. This is all opposed to those people who can't spell the state they live in.

On that note I don't see 'ignorance' anywhere on that map.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
West Virginia, a state known for its quality education.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HerStuddMuffin posted:

West Virginia, a state known for its quality education.

Coal Miner's Scholar

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think that paints more of a picture of what spellchecker.net thinks is supposed to be "twelve" than of its userbase's spelling.

Yeah I seriously doubt that even the worst spellers in the world would guess "tidelwave" as the spelling for twelve.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Mary Poppins doesn't really seem like the type of move to come out around 1977

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is extremely common in Canada.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Maybe Colorado spells it "tamarrow" and Arizona spells it "toommorrowe"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"nintey"
Wisconsin

Pretty sure the letter count is how many letters the wrongly spelled query had, not how many letters the correct spelling contains. At least I hope it is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"nintey"
Wisconsin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i really doubt that south dakota uses the "methodology" word that often