Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Layin' glass and raisin' masts.

Sealed my weldments under 6 layers of cloth and epoxy.

And we raised the mast for the first time:
https://youtu.be/-il1iTGwABs

This weeks goals: Figuring out my running rigging and installing new trailer brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I hope you goons are out on the water this weekend and not sweating in a back yard like me.
I'm almost done with the trailer: i cleaned and primed some rusty spots, welded a couple of inches onto the tongue so I could bolt on a surge coupler and I've replaced the brakes on the rear axle. Tomorrow I should be able to install the new brake lines and give the boat a wash. Then I should be ready to launch next Saturday.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Took one of my club C&C 27s out on Puget Sound today, first sail of the season! Soooo beautiful, and we actually had some pretty decent 10-15 knots of wind out there. Hardly a cloud in the sky.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I found out the bilge pump in my wife's boat isn't working, so I bailed about 200 gallons of water out, removed the pump, and ordered another. Thank goodness for wooden skiffs, it sat about 2" deeper and didn't seem to care.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
First race of the year on Saturday, beautiful weather here in Chicago out on Lake Michigan. Not much wind but it was enough for a race with the spinnaker. We did well for our first time out, second in section.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Sunday on Puget Sound out of Shilshole Marina on a C&C 27

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

Sunday on Puget Sound out of Shilshole Marina on a C&C 27

Took me three tries not to read that as Shithole Marina.

Trailer is done. Next weekend I'm going to embarrass the poo poo out of myself as start a few fights with my wife trying to launch, sail and retrieve my boat.

Is there anything like a p-plate for boats? Something that will signal to other boaters that I am an idiot and to give me wide berth?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

monsterzero posted:

Is there anything like a p-plate for boats? Something that will signal to other boaters that I am an idiot and to give me wide berth?

I always assume anyone running with their fenders out are not going to have seen me, and it seems pretty accurate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Humbug posted:

I always assume anyone running with their fenders out are not going to have seen me, and it seems pretty accurate.

Fenders hanging out is the driving with your blinker on of boating.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, I was going to mention fenders out. I'm not sure if that conveys the depth of my incompetence. Maybe I should drag my lot of fencers behind the boat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

monsterzero posted:

Haha, I was going to mention fenders out. I'm not sure if that conveys the depth of my incompetence. Maybe I should drag my lot of fencers behind the boat.

Maybe put up some big red/green flags that say "port" and "starboard" on each side of the boat so you don't forget.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Do they make a label maker large enough for me to label my jib and main? Both will be marked SAIL of course.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just label all the lines and halyards as "ropes", they'll know.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Label them Jib n' Spanker

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

monsterzero posted:

Do they make a label maker large enough for me to label my jib and main? Both will be marked SAIL of course.

Don't sail with people that need these labels 😂

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

The Risk posted:

Don't sail with people that need these labels 😂

I am the boat babby. :ssh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Took the Hobie 14 out in Apalachicola Bay. Seas 3-5ft, winds 15-20kt. Spent a good chunk of time just flipping the thing back upright :haw:
However I notice that I am a hell of a lot more sore at 29 than the last time I had a really good rip in the heavy stuff. Getting old sucks.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 31, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'll never forget blowing over in my little Phantom (sunfish clone) when I was like 12.

Forgot to let out the main sheet, got it upright and thankfully was able to hold on as it sailed itself away.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Scrapez posted:

I'll never forget blowing over in my little Phantom (sunfish clone) when I was like 12.

Forgot to let out the main sheet, got it upright and thankfully was able to hold on as it sailed itself away.

I swam a mile or two back to shore once with my mother in tow when that same boat shown above did that very thing. Mainsheet line looped around the port quarter corner casting and off she went! Lifejackets save lives, y'all.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Hull polish before/after:

I have a confession to make, I've never really bothered with the full polish before. It was more satisfying than I thought it would be though. It really makes a difference, even without a machine or much patience.

I know, I need to do the top too, but that can be done after launch.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice job. What did you use?

I need to do mine as the top deck is getting pretty chalky.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Looks good. I do mine every year, but i have a dark blue hull that looks poo poo without any attention. A machine does make it pretty manageable though. I get my 28 footer done in about 2 hours using a long throw DA polisher and "Felden Marine Nano Polish" That stuff is goddamn magical. Cleans polishes and seals as good as any individual product i've tried all in one operation. Doesn't hold an entire season, but then neither has any wax or sealant i've tried. Too bad its freaking expensive. Should work fine by hand as well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Decided to build a plywood pirogue on a whim. Been picking at it little by little as I have time since Saturday, and got to the point today after gluing the stems that it's starting to actually look like a boat.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Nice job. What did you use?

Cheap polish and a rag. :q:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Humbug posted:

Looks good. I do mine every year, but i have a dark blue hull that looks poo poo without any attention. A machine does make it pretty manageable though. I get my 28 footer done in about 2 hours using a long throw DA polisher and "Felden Marine Nano Polish" That stuff is goddamn magical. Cleans polishes and seals as good as any individual product i've tried all in one operation. Doesn't hold an entire season, but then neither has any wax or sealant i've tried. Too bad its freaking expensive. Should work fine by hand as well.

I have another confession to make. I bought a machine a couple of years ago but couldn't see how it'd help me, it just seemed heavy and cumbersome. Maybe I'll try again now that I've done it once by hand.

Also googling "Felden Marine Nano Polish" didn't turn up anything, you certain about the name?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah sorry, the name was more stupid than i remembered. Its this stuff. https://www.marineshop.no/b%C3%A5tpleie/polish-/-rubbing-/-voks/feldten-gelcoat-sealer-nano-extract-250-ml-111394-p0000125166

As well as a better finish, i find that using a machine makes me use a lot less product than by hand. I use almost as much product doing the nooks and crannies by hand than I do polishing the whole hull.

Have a terrible photo of my 20yo boat. I think its pretty good for 2 hours per year

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Humbug posted:

Have a terrible photo of my 20yo boat. I think its pretty good for 2 hours per year

Is that usage or maintenance? :haw:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Fjord Terne? Very nice. We probably have the same engine. :)

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Neslepaks posted:

Fjord Terne? Very nice. We probably have the same engine. :)

Yeah. Its pretty good. It has the 220 hp Yanmar 4-cylinder mechanical turbodiesel running a shaft. Massively reliable and hilariously unrefined. It can't do less than 5 knots with the gear engaged, which makes for exiting docking when you have pretty much no rudder authority while coasting.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 1, 2017

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Ah ok, not the same then. I have the 96hp 4JH2-UTE that I've noticed is also in a lot of Ternes. Yours would be the 4LH(A) I suppose. 220hp, that thing must go like a stabbed rat!

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah its the 4LH-STE. It nudges 30 knots flat out, but at that speed you can feel it planing on the keel and becoming pretty unstable since its still a semi displacement hull. Its pretty much all the engine the hull can take.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Launched!

Wow, it got late this year. But the weather's been poo poo so who cares I guess.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I popped my boating cherry today.
We took our Catalina out to Lake Oroville for a sail today. We had an easy time rigging it, launched it from the trailer smoothly and then I snapped the fuel fitting on my outboard when I lowered it into the water. :shepface:

Lucky my uncle was able to run into town for a new one so we got to drift around in 3kts of breeze drinking champagne and eating sandwiches. A++ will sail again.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I took my daughter (Emma) to look at a boat that was most likely a ways out our price range today.
Right off the bat I knew that the ad hadn't undersold the boat and that the price on his placard was way out of my current range.
The sweet old guy selling it was explaining it to Emma like we already owned it right off the bat, talking about how much fun the ocean is, all the islands and whales that we would see ECT. After 20 min of this I sent her to the truck so I could talk to the guy.
I said, "sir, I don't have enough money to make an offer on this boat that's not insulting." He asked how much I had, I said a little bit less than half of what he was asking. He smiled, shook my hand and started walking me through all of the documents and maintenance records from birth to this morning.

She's a 26' 1980 ChatletVee with a 10' beam and twin mercruiser 470s. 170 per engine. It spent it's life in lake Washington, coming through the locks for Seafair once a year. The motors are kind of meh, but they will do the job. It needs a transmission selector cable, new bottom paint and I'm sure a whole bunch of other things I haven't found yet. Last year the radios were updated, but the owners wife wanted nothing to do with the ocean anymore and he can't handle the boat by himself anymore.
This thing has so many bells and whistles added over the years it's nuts. Hot water, vac toilet, engine and electric heat, led lights, spot light, remote windless and on and on. Having a command bridge and a control console inside is rad.
I took the keys home today, I'm picking the boat up tomorrow, we will see how bad of an idea this was.

It needs a name.

I have hundreds of hours on Puget sound from when I was in the Coastguard and my parents boats as a kid, but this will be the first time on a boat that I own.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bird cooch posted:

twin mercruiser 470s. 170 per engine.

Ouch, hope you don't like going fast or sipping fuel.

Otherwise, she's a perfect family cruiser!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's a meh 4 cylinder​, Should do the job for a couple years. I'm more worried about converting from a stator to alternator that the gas milage. If it's horribly slow I will repower over the winter.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
This weekend's progress on the pirogue:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Serious question: how easy is fiberglassing something like that for a beginner?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Serious question: how easy is fiberglassing something like that for a beginner?

It was my first time, and I think I did okay. Read up on and watched a bunch of youtube videos on it beforehand, mostly relating to cedar strip canoes, but it's the same process, just on a different vessel. I learned a few things that'll be helpful if I ever do it again, but nothing that was a dealbreaker.

There are a couple small bubbles that I'll use a syringe and small drill bit to fill, but honestly it was a bit easier than I thought it would be.

The big thing is getting a feel for the epoxy resin. Helped that I used a slow hardener and it was relatively "cool" this weekend at 80F. Gave me plenty of working time, and I alternated between 3oz and 6oz pots, depending on what I was doing. Checked it this morning on my way out the door to work, and the wet coat and one fill coat I put on there yesterday (fill coat at 8pm) had almost fully cured.

I also have an uncle that does boat work for a living, and I've picked his brain a little bit over the years, but he was on a sailboat on his way back from Cuba for the past week, so communication was limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
i broke my hand this weekend.... or else i'd share my fiberglass experience. We did the gunwhales and the chines on my friends Puddle Duck in the last two weeks.