Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXi9Zc_4Om4

New general-promo clip, a couple new gods who haven't been seen yet.

Something that occurred to me, and maybe this is old hat for you book readers, but is "gods" a metaphor for "culture?" Everyone who comes to American brings their culture from their home country, but in coming to America, the old culture is never the same, it takes on a bastardized new form, distinct from the original culture in their homelands; Irish culture in America is different from how it is in Ireland, for example. But all of these old cultures and now being forgotten and left behind by new cultures that are sprouting up natively in America, cultures that are less humanizing: internet culture, media culture, military-industrial-complex culture.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Clip from episode 6, minor spoilers of upcoming god

:mexico: :catholic:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 2, 2017

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Steve Yun posted:

Something that occurred to me, and maybe this is old hat for you book readers, but is "gods" a metaphor for "culture?" Everyone who comes to American brings their culture from their home country, but in coming to America, the old culture is never the same, it takes on a bastardized new form, distinct from the original culture in their homelands; Irish culture in America is different from how it is in Ireland, for example. But all of these old cultures and now being forgotten and left behind by new cultures that are sprouting up natively in America, cultures that are less humanizing: internet culture, media culture, military-industrial-complex culture.

Yeah dude, I can't not sound like a huge dick but this isn't even subtext. This is text. This is exactly what it is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sorry for being dense, I'm new to this and was only thinking about it from a strictly religious perspective

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hell yes.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sweet. I was afraid it was going the other way and would be La Llorana or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God (:v:) I love every new promo clip, they also do their job quite well and make the wait for the next episode even harder.

Oh and :rip: Neil's hair in that first clip.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yet another clip from episode 6 showing a god I posted earlier

Laffo @ Vulcan hanging out with a militia group

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Steve Yun posted:

Hell yes I need more Orlando Jones.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

Techno Boy visiting Bilquis in... jail? That's interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ODIN missile wouldn't have created Korean Odin (or at least, not done that INSTEAD of making Wednesday powerful) because the belief generally flows from the people doing the killing, not the ones being killed. There would be headlines literally saying "ODIN kills 6 million Koreans" and I think that would genuinely have helped Wednesday.

The point is that he was never gonna take the offer no matter what it was because... him and Loki are running a con. It doesn't matter if the offer "would have worked" or not, it was an entirely false offer and neither of them cared about how plausible it was. They just had to distract Media and PewDiePius.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

precision posted:

The point is that he was never gonna take the offer no matter what it was because... him and Loki are running a con. It doesn't matter if the offer "would have worked" or not, it was an entirely false offer and neither of them cared about how plausible it was. They just had to distract Media and PewDiePius.

Casting PewDiePie as techno god would have been some sweet meta poo poo.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Techno Boy visiting Bilquis in... jail? That's interesting.

No I think that was in the past, Bilquis on the streets, having lost all her followers. Techno boy turned her onto Tinder, and that's what we are seeing now in the show

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

My understanding: Mr Wednesday would be rebranded as the American Odin, they'd figure out some way to go to war with North Korea and blow them up. North Korea dies. The Odin satellite gets all this praise for being an awesome missile satellite and therefore American Odin gets power again, but subservient to Mr World, Media and Technical Boy since he will be operating as a tool of American globalism and needing Media and Technical Boy for PR.

Why would a Korean Odin arise from this?

A Korean Odin probably has already existed for a thousand years for the same reason there's an American Odin.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Odin accepts human sacrifice in the form of violent deaths in battles dedicated to him, the dedication of which is usually throwing a spear onto the field and yelling that you dedicate the battle to Odin. Missiles would be super efficient at that.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, some "gods" (especially the new ones) are neither actual gods nor worshipped in the strict sense. In fact that's one of the main ideas of the book, that people will always "worship" anything and move on unapologetically, leaving old customs and traditions behind.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's veering quite close to Warren Ellis' Jenny Sparks, the spirit of the 20th century, who is the manifestation of electricity. Not that someone shouldn't make Authority and, while we're at it, Planetary shows.

Nah, Authority should be a series of movies. That was the whole widescreen aesthetic they were shooting for. With the success of R rated violence heavy superhero flicks of late, Authority could actually work in today's market as a trilogy of movies, say.

Planetary, on the other hand, has the stuff to be an anthology style TV show.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In case you all wanted to know what town Neil Gaiman saw that Vulcan statue in, it was Birmingham Alabama. There's a relatively weird history associated with the statue too, since the Italian artist gave him a loincloth that didn't cover his rear end and the pearl clutching southerners found it too titillating to be placed in the center of town as originally planned:

http://porterbriggs.com/meet-vulcan-the-bare-bottomed-mascot-of-birmingham/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hope they include, in the coming series', the dead centre of America.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda like the running non-spoiler thread idea that Mr. World is the shadow government more than the actual twist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda like the running non-spoiler thread idea that Mr. World is the shadow government more than the actual twist.

Gaiman could be pulling a con of his own and that could end up being true, for all we know at this point!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have to say I really like the Laura scene with Audrey

Honestly this is better than the book as an adaptation

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The book is kind of objectively bad, but the show is keeping the stuff that made the book bad (pacing issues, mostly) so I'm not sure I agree.

A lot of this stuff does work better in a visual Media though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I agree that so far the show is better, but I wouldn't call the book "objectively bad" by any stretch. I thought it showed a marked improvement from Neverwhere, and it certainly kept me reading. To each their own though, I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Objectively might be the wrong word - technically bad. It is one of the worst-written (in a technical sense) novels I've ever read (or proof-read, which is probably a more damning indictment). William Burroughs has written novels that were more technically competent than American Gods :v:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

precision posted:

Gaiman could be pulling a con of his own and that could end up being true, for all we know at this point!

It's why I'm still happy to speculate about Mr World being the god of globalisation in the non-spoiler thread. I'm not trolling exactly, cause I do think there's a non-zero chance that Gaiman/Fuller/whoever will try and pull the rug out from under the bookreaders and change the twist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean this is the Hannibal guy we're talking about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would hilarious trolling of book readers if they show Mr. World's driver, and it's Low-Key from the first episode :psypop:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

precision posted:

Objectively might be the wrong word - technically bad. It is one of the worst-written (in a technical sense) novels I've ever read (or proof-read, which is probably a more damning indictment). William Burroughs has written novels that were more technically competent than American Gods :v:

It must suck to be somebody who has to pour over a book for errors and analyze it on a technical level instead of just digging the setting, narrative and characters.

Because I really enjoyed American Gods :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

King Vidiot posted:

It must suck to be somebody who has to pour over a book for errors and analyze it on a technical level instead of just digging the setting, narrative and characters.

:same:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can simultaneously enjoy deeply enjoy a novel while acknowledging its flaws. If anything, diving deep into literary criticism is the sign of a true fan.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

Hey, Don Quixote was amazing. Although also not in English so maybe the translators spiced it up? Also very clearly written before editors were a thing but hey.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

King Vidiot posted:

Not really. It leads you to a richer enjoyment of things that are actually good.

Zaphod42 posted:

also it gives you the privilege of not being this guy lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of it wasn't nearly as dry in context, but changes in language and cultural context mean we don't get the references and turns of wit that contemporary audiences got. That's not to say I don't understand why people don't like "the classics."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zurui posted:

I can simultaneously enjoy deeply enjoy a novel while acknowledging its flaws. If anything, diving deep into literary criticism is the sign of a true fan.

This. More to the point, I'd rather enjoy a book despite its flaws than look for reasons to dislike it. But that's just me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really. It leads you to a richer enjoyment of things that are actually good.

What would you consider "actually good"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The opening for this episode is going to piss off so many shitheads

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The people who make this show are a treasure. Depicting Oathkeeper shits for what they actually are is wonderful.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shooting Blanks posted:

What would you consider "actually good"

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 4, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That is a road trip crew I wouldn't have expected in a million years. Also, Mr. Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It's a shame we didn't get a Coming to America segment about the Romans who came to America to bring Vulcan to this world.

• Locked thread