Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Game was rushed out too early, can't blame them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This game doesn't even have the most rudimentary info of like Push Forward to Walk. good!. It is functionally identical to booting up Tekken 1 on PS1 (which I did like three weeks ago).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol does this game at least have like a challenge mode or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

This is also like SFV levels of load times with the same awful lobby system. lovely anime fighters on steam have better online functionality than this, lol.

I think your supposed to be like a ranked guy like in sf games in tekken vs the player match focus in gg? Maybe?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In Training posted:

This is also like SFV levels of load times

Are you on PC? If so :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

teagone posted:

Are you on PC? If so :(

Yeah

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I think your supposed to be like a ranked guy like in sf games in tekken vs the player match focus in gg? Maybe?

Ah, the "it's supposed to be lovely" defense.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fadam posted:

Ah, the "it's supposed to be lovely" defense.

Im not defending i havent played tekken in 19 years (2hrs to go). I just got the impression its got a bigger ranked culture than gg, which isnt saying much cause gg's ranked is stillborn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Playing on the keyboard doesn't feel half bad, actually. Doing diagonals and circle motions are easier than they would be on a gamepad.

In Training posted:

This game doesn't even have the most rudimentary info of like Push Forward to Walk. good!. It is functionally identical to booting up Tekken 1 on PS1 (which I did like three weeks ago).

The weird thing for me is it feels like there should be more information on the internet on this game, since it's technically been out for two years? Like if the community stuff would fill this in, cool, but I followed the link to the Tekken Zaibatsu and 90% of the Tekken 7 pages are still blank and the forum threads mostly have unfocused discussion, or raw data with no explanations or context. I guess a lot of the guides from Tag 2 would carry over? But I have no context for what is useful or not from that

Comparatively I was able to pick my Injustice 2 main because a week after it was out the TYM forums already had detailed character guides for about half the characters that broke down each characters' normals, strings, and specials in detail, put them together to explain the gameplan, and discussed matchups.

I know and respect that this game is more complex so it might be more difficult to do that... but still, two years. The stuff in this thread's OP (it is a very good OP) is actually the most informative page I've found

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Injustice 2 has a phenomenally better set of information located in game than this

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every western fighting game kicks the poo poo of every Japanese fighting game in that regard, even the ones people don't like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My perspective, for clarity, is that I've been basically playing 2D/anime fighters exclusively. And I figured Tekken 7 looked rad as poo poo and would be serious entry into 3D fighters. I've dabbled in like DOA5 but could never get anyone to play that with me despite being F2P. DOA5 has about 20 hours of missions, character specific training, even like down to Character Wakeup specific training, etc. And I expected something similar from T7 considering it's freaking Tekken. But I guess they just wanted to make sweet CG battles and call it a day since it really hasn't changed much since Tekken 3. Which is good for people who have been playing since Tekken 3, but I had to google what the difference between Punch 1 and Punch 2 was. Because I didn't know! And that's like, how the game works!!!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It probably doesn't help that most of the people who have been playing the game for the last two years were non-English speakers and they seem to have their own set of forums/communication that don't overlap much with the English world.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Uh DoA5 had tutorials and character tutorials

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Every western fighting game kicks the poo poo of every Japanese fighting game in that regard, even the ones people don't like.

Guilty Gear is probably the best I've seen, although the frame info in IJ2 is pretty awesome and I wish they had the same thing in basically every game. Because why not? Why wait for someone to datamine the game? Just surface that info.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So what single player modes are there in T7? The story mode, arcade mode, and practice? There's no combo trials or anything at all?

It's a little concerning to hear the loads on the PC version are bad. I'm playing on the lovely version of the PS4 :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

attackmole posted:

It probably doesn't help that most of the people who have been playing the game for the last two years were non-English speakers and they seem to have their own set of forums/communication that don't overlap much with the English world.

That makes sense! Although isn't Tekken huge in the UK

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

fadam posted:

So what single player modes are there in T7? The story mode, arcade mode, and practice? There's no combo trials or anything at all?

It's a little concerning to hear the loads on the PC version are bad. I'm playing on the lovely version of the PS4 :(

Yeah. And arcade mode is 4 battles, FT2.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The load times were terrible for me. Worse than SFV ever was. But I restarted my computer and now they're fine??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have it on my SSD and the load times seem great, at least for offline stuff. I assume online has a bunch of other bottlenecks to deal with

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Load times are fine on my SSD, but the lack of any tutorial is really weird.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah I meant specifically online load times. Offline is fine.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Loading times are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too loving long. I'm on SSD too.

This is also yet another game that you cannot alt tab with while waiting for everything to load, poo poo will straight up crash. Guess I have to just use my phone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr E posted:

Load times are fine on my SSD, but the lack of any tutorial is really weird.

Maybe it's thematic. The tutorial is you learning the four buttons as kid Kayuza and then getting loving destroyed

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

My perspective, for clarity, is that I've been basically playing 2D/anime fighters exclusively. And I figured Tekken 7 looked rad as poo poo and would be serious entry into 3D fighters. I've dabbled in like DOA5 but could never get anyone to play that with me despite being F2P. DOA5 has about 20 hours of missions, character specific training, even like down to Character Wakeup specific training, etc. And I expected something similar from T7 considering it's freaking Tekken. But I guess they just wanted to make sweet CG battles and call it a day since it really hasn't changed much since Tekken 3. Which is good for people who have been playing since Tekken 3, but I had to google what the difference between Punch 1 and Punch 2 was. Because I didn't know! And that's like, how the game works!!!

I think the frequency of releases plays a big factor with most of these games - Arcsys puts out a game or two every year, NRS put one out every two years, DOA and KI are almost service games, Skullgirls was one long five-year update, etc - so not only are they able to iterate but there's a financial incentive to correct whatever they overlooked last time because it's the only way to keep people coming back.

My guess is that the extra mode in the season pass is some sort of tutorial-in-disguise mode, kinda like Tag 2's Fight Lab, but I'm just trying to rationalise why it wouldn't be there at launch because that seems really shortsighted.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That makes sense! Although isn't Tekken huge in the UK

Europe is Tekken's biggest market.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Tekken is the best selling fighting game series.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just spent the past couple hours beating up goons online and now am trying to justify getting this on PS4 too so I can play with my other friends. King is loving dope and I'm still trying to memorize those hop knee combos but until then RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN MAAAAAAAAAAKERRRRRRRRR

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Tekken is the best selling fighting game series.

Isn't it Mortal Kombat

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Alright, I'll try a grapper. Im sure he has a smaller move list than Heihachi... King is a grappler rite???

(Scroll bar is loving tiny)
(Scroll down to find 181 commands)
(Beginning to wonder why I spend money)

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

You can display move list in training mode, they include some basic combos for you to practice. Sucks there's no tutorial mode, but ATP's videos help a lot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

Isn't it Mortal Kombat

Tekken is the biggest-selling series of all time and Tekken 3 is the single biggest-selling fighting game that isn't Smash. It's not as big as it was during the PSX or even PS2 days but Namco doesn't push out updates every year so the games continue to sell over long periods of time.

MK cleans up in the west but it has no presence in Asia so it'll never be able to top the biggest games.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
if you think your guy has too many moves just go online and find out the 5 good ones to do for your guy, its not that hard

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In Training posted:

Yeah I meant specifically online load times.

drat, that sucks. Oh well.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hi my PSN name is stoaties, i like to kick and sometimes punch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also if you're spectating (at least this is on PC) the last hit of the match will never be seen, because it's a few seconds ahead of you and the game will say Connection Error, freeze and boot you back to lobby.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Yeah. And arcade mode is 4 battles, FT2.

What the hell does FT2 mean?

From what I heard, there is the story mode, then character episodes that consist of a fight a piece. Then there is arcade mode, Treasure Battle, and the training mode.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

What the hell does FT2 mean?

From what I heard, there is the story mode, then character episodes that consist of a fight a piece. Then there is arcade mode, Treasure Battle, and the training mode.

First to 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea my PSN is SirBadgington, I'll be around to get jobbed tomorrow for a good bit.

How is Treasure Battle handled? Is it just a gauntlet until you die that rewards Fight Money?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Got to the semis of a double elimination tournament, had some really close games, everyone giving eachother props in the lobby - basically the best experience you're likely to get - host gets beaten and decides he's had enough and *bam* that's it - everyone booted to menu with zero fight money or ranking change. :saddowns:

Had another tourney where the OPTION button stopped working for everyone (PS4), everyone ended up just stuck there chatting like it's IRC in the year 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

In Training posted:

Also if you're spectating (at least this is on PC) the last hit of the match will never be seen, because it's a few seconds ahead of you and the game will say Connection Error, freeze and boot you back to lobby.

I played and spectated a bunch of matches and didn't have this problem, or long load times. Weird how different it seems between people.