Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I could say the absurdity if it is amusing, but that might sound a bit pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Counterpoint: Sonic Jam, no not that one, the other one.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Wow, I didn't know this Cybershell guy. His videos on Sonic are absolutely incredible. Informative, entertaining and he clearly really loves the franchise. SSS++, super perfect content, recommended.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andre Banzai posted:

Holy freaking poo poo, exactly.

Just make Robotnik try to screw everything up making factories all over the place like the huge rear end in a top hat that he is, so that Sonic can run around wrecking everything again. I need zero originality in terms of story, just make Robotnik try harder each time and I'll be happy with it.

Also Shadow doesn't exist. List of characters that exist: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (barely, she is a Schrödinger's character). All other animals are dumb and exist to be abused by Robotnik and to be saved by the heroes.

BTW, about Sonic Forces. Is the custom hero in the trailer actually... "Ruby Eclipse"?

This post is several times more dorky than thinking Sonic should have a story.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Andre Banzai posted:

Wow, I didn't know this Cybershell guy. His videos on Sonic are absolutely incredible. Informative, entertaining and he clearly really loves the franchise. SSS++, super perfect content, recommended.

Yeah he used to do Sonic LPs on the forums here...NINE YEARS AGO?

Jesus, I graduated high school AND college between his Sonic 2 LP and that bonus video finally coming out :psyduck:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I went for my run today and when my last mile began "Super Sonic Warrior" started playing on my mp3 player. I felt a rush of energy and I tried to visualize every beat of the Sonic CD intro in tune with the music to keep my mind off the pain my body was going through but I couldn't quite visualize it all...it still owned though.I must do some studying tonight.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

The Archie Sonic Comics are super good, but are on indefinite hiatus at best. Still, they did manage the finish the main reboot storyline, so it's worth checking out.

I'd say one of the best things about the comics is that Ian Flynn and company know how to use the wide cast of characters to their full potential. Knowing just who to use and how to use them gives a lot of fun scenarios for them to work with.

I think I've said this once before, but to fully appreciate Sonic you need to look at it holistically. Every part has something to offer, even the bad parts, whether it be genuine fun or amusing absurdity.

The Archie Sonics are good to me for the same reason I think Mania is good thing: Sega bringing the franchise to really talented fans who care about Sonic more than anyone actually at Sega likely ever has. I don't blame anyone if for one reason or another you're still not interested in the Flynn comics but they're so filled with love for the entire franchise and it's the most anyone has ever managed to make Sonic's world Make Sense™ and it really appeals to me on that level.

Plus Archie Sonic is probably the springboard that launched Tyson Hesse into doing animations for Sonic Mania so we all have that to be thankful for

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 1, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

I went for my run today and when my last mile began "Super Sonic Warrior" started playing on my mp3 player. I felt a rush of energy and I tried to visualize every beat of the Sonic CD intro in tune with the music to keep my mind off the pain my body was going through but I couldn't quite visualize it all...it still owned though.I must do some studying tonight.

It's called "You Can Do Anything" you baka

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

In my head it's only every been Toot Toot Sonic Warrior!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

beep by grandpa posted:

I went for my run today and when my last mile began "Super Sonic Warrior" started playing on my MP3 player..

There are lies, then there are damned lies, and then there are Sonic lies. I will never forgive you bbg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Sonic shouldn't have a story" still confuses me.

There's a Paper Mario game about unsealing an ancient demon. Its sequel has someone die and the looming threat of the multiverse being destroyed.

Like I get the issue of things going too far in one direction like what happened with 06 but we don't need to have the pendulum swing all the way around to the other end and make it completely devoid of character and substance. There's a right way to do this.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
But... you called it "Super Sonic Warrior" and we all knew what song you meant. Could it be that I wasn't the only one who when first hearing the song thought the lyrics were "Super Sonic Warrior?"

My Sonic brother

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

our god has returned...

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ronnie posted:

But... you called it "Super Sonic Warrior" and we all knew what song you meant. Could it be that I wasn't the only one who when first hearing the song thought the lyrics were "Super Sonic Warrior?"

My Sonic brother

In a similar vein, I always used to mishear the lyrics to Jamiroquai's Supersonic as "He's a warrior who flies" instead of "cries" because Super Sonic can fly! :shepface:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Augus posted:

This post is several times more dorky than thinking Sonic should have a story.

I regret nothing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Irrelevant, since Sonic Boom is so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0LDb4VgjU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Irrelevant, since Sonic Boom is so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0LDb4VgjU

No

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Toot toot Sonic warrior.

Zoo zay zoop zip zai.

Spacebump posted:

Is Knuckles Chaotix a good game? I never had a chance to play it. Does it play like Genesis Sonics or differently? (If differently, how so?)

It costs nothing to play now and it's a Sonic game on the SEGA Genesis (mostly) that you haven't played yet.

Don't take others' word for it. You have to experience the distilled 90s for yourself.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Sonic shouldn't have a story" still confuses me.

There's a Paper Mario game about unsealing an ancient demon. Its sequel has someone die and the looming threat of the multiverse being destroyed.

Like I get the issue of things going too far in one direction like what happened with 06 but we don't need to have the pendulum swing all the way around to the other end and make it completely devoid of character and substance. There's a right way to do this.
Your mileage may vary but for me, the two games that got it closest were Adventure 1 and Colours, even though their tones are very different.

Adventure 1's tone is pretty serious (especially the true ending having Station Square end up getting totalled after all... way to gut-punch Tails after his heroic moment of saving the city while Sonic's busy tracking down the Doc to his base of operations), but it also keeps each individual plot thread fairly straightforward and has fun weaving all those simple stories together*. Tails and Amy got some good character growth, we get some backstory for Knuckles' people, E-102 Gamma is pretty much my favourite character in the series and felt like a great way to handle a dark character without diving into edgelord central, and Big provided some fun, silly comic relief (doesn't hurt that I enjoyed the fishing and found it a relaxing break from gotta going fast). Okay, the cutscene animations are awful, the dialogue was often stilted, and the hub worlds were pretty sterile and it took until Unleashed for a game to do them sort-of right, but I appreciated the intent behind it all.

Colours is pretty much the funniest Sonic game (although Unleashed had its moments), but it still works to give you a sense of its characters - Sonic is cocky and bombastic and gets some of the ol' 'tude back, Tails has a fun little dry sense of humour and isn't afraid of the odd bit of verbal sparring with his old friend. The Doc and his henchmen are goofy as all hell (those PA announcements :allears: ), but that doesn't stop what he's doing to the wisps from being pretty darn sinister, and but for a stray robot arm his plan would have worked. And he's even the final boss and doesn't get usurped by something he can't control (well, in the Wii version, anyway)!

I dunno. There's definitely potential to give games reasonable stories that fit within the whole Sonic thing, even if it's the usual huge balancing act. Maybe Sonic Forces will pull that off?

---
* I made that thing for the 20 Years of Sonic LP years ago and I'm still vaguely proud of it for some reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Colors was fresh at the time, but Pontac and Graff's formula has just worn thin after several years of it.

But I'm gonna be honest. I grew up reading "funny mascot characters get into pretty elaborate adventures and then sometimes heavy poo poo happens". I think that there's room for some darker, more sinister stuff in here as long as they keep a decent balance and don't go too far with it. I'm perfectly fine with something the level of SA2. If Capcom's jumping blue mascot can transition into an anime-esque story where more complex themes than "this evil scientist attacks" exist, Sonic can have a semi-elaborate anime-esque story with Vegeta the Hedgehog and some people not making it out of the backstory alive.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shadow better be in Forces and he better crush one of those scouters we saw in the BYOF trailer.

Also I dream of a Mania 2 with Shadow and the like, doing 2d versions of the good 3d levels. So essentially new content that will still give some people nostalgia boners.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I want my Original the Hedgehog to go super saiyan.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RickDaedalus posted:

I want my Original the Hedgehog to go super saiyan.

i wouldn't bet against it

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So long as it goes super to return to its home planet I'll be ok with it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic Mania is only going to be 20$ that's a day 1 buy for me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you have humble bundle monthly, it's only $16.19 USD which is crazy cheap. I feel like Sega could have milked it a little more.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The Sonic package for Lego Dimensions had the best story.

Also, I totally forgot until now that I had the faux-genesis collector's edition preordered.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Some friends of mine just bought me Sonic Mania as a late birthday gift.

Guys I'm so excited, 20 years of waiting and hope has finally paid off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man what's going to happen if the game ends up sucking

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Business as usual.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Man what's going to happen if the game ends up sucking
Well, people have played it, and most say the physics are close enough to feel spot on and the visuals/music so on are all great. Level design does look a little busy, so I guess that could get really bad?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Paul.Power posted:

* I made that thing for the 20 Years of Sonic LP years ago and I'm still vaguely proud of it for some reason.

Do 2. Do 2006. :getin:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Discendo Vox posted:

Do 2. Do 2006. :getin:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

How come no one ever talks about the biggest plot hole in 2006: If Elise had the blue emerald for the past ten years, how did any of the other games happen?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:confused:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Paused posted:

So long as it goes super to return to its home planet I'll be ok with it.

This is the most likely occurrence, given that this game, like Generations, involves Eggman doing time-fuckery.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I think he's referring to the segmented outlines. Don't see any other connection.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think not having Sonic Mania is giving me Sonic mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Colors was fresh at the time, but Pontac and Graff's formula has just worn thin after several years of it.

I think the tone of Unleashed thru Generations was ideal, but Lost World got a little weird. I definitely agree their writing has gotten tired, and more than anything I'd really love to see Ian Flynn start writing the cutscenes & dialogue for Sega.