Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i like the parts with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i like the parts with me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i like the parts with me

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This is super cool.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thank you! :kimchi:

I'm getting slightly worried though how I'm gonna handle the inevitable tone shifts as the story continues... :ohdear:

Prolly best to just ignore it and go full tribute.avi

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Am I in this comic

Was I in this game :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Am I in this comic

Was I in this game :v:

I'm hoping to give you and similarly neglected characters a focused recap or two to catch up like I did for Anastasia :dance:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i like the parts with me

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm glad skull sword got a mention.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Previously, on peraMYST: The Battle for the Generator

When the battle ended, Petra and Anastasia weren’t dead, just unconscious. Schelene’s pacifist ways had convinced the others to hold back… for now. But while they divvied the loot, the power came back on and another person suddenly emerged from the generator – Verus Rettig.

Verus claimed he’d snuck over just to try and help out! Annie was not buying it. She ordered him to finish the job for them, and if he didn’t follow through, well… he just saw how well coordinated they were in attacking, capisce? Just for good measure she had him turn the power back off too, to make sure no more “help” showed up. Myst Island was on lockdown.

But most of the library crew had already moved on by then. Why sit around doing nothing when they could explore? They had another linking book to this new age called Channelwood. It looked like a nice happy peaceful place for tree-huggers.

They linked right into the middle of an all-out civil war, between an “Achenan” faction (blue) and a “Sirran” faction (red). Neither group seemed happy to see a bunch of intruders link in. Chell was quickly elected as their Commander to try and get them through this alive.

Corn was still the tank, using his huge shield to defend against sniper fire.

Mercenary Hattington Kim, also known as Chell’s biggest fan, easily ran into the thick of the battle under her direction.

Even Princess Tessa got in on the action, following Chell’s command to help take down some Achenans in their way.

Harsha stuck to ranged attacking with her bow for now – probably best to save the cool skull sword for the dramatic climax – but Robin Duerod was threatening to show her up. No one seems to know what the deal with her backstory was, but one thing was certain, she was one HELL of an archer.

The new Team Discovery Channel bonded together and worked as a unit to survive, claiming the Curator’s Hut and Windmill without a single casualty. The peaceful hermit Kemet Hays hadn’t been participating in the fighting, but even he got a chance to prove his bravery. He agreed to the dangerous mission of defusing a double-decker KTANE bomb pretending to be defusing a double-decker KTANE bomb repairing the fire suppression system inside the burning windmill.

Chell and Harsha would be helping direct him, and Annie answered the call to help remotely over the public channel. As the water poured down, TDC celebrated another success.

But wait, where did Hattington and Harsha get to…?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Previously on peraMYST: The War for Channelwood

While Team Discovery Channel worked together in Channelwood, things on Myst were still tense.

The mysterious “Podima” decided to chat with the group, and reveal some of his secrets. Turns out the trick to his super stealth was, he literally wasn’t there. He was talking to them on the communicators, through some complicated advanced device he’d found.

He was worried about someone finding him though. He said he woke up in some cave and was wounded, and also had amnesia. Everyone figured he must really be Captain Daniels, left to rot somewhere by Sirrus and Achenar after they got done torturing him for info.

Suddenly, Anastasia’s communicator started talking, asking for her to report in! (since when could they even send private messages?!) Once everyone stopped freaking out, they tried talking back to her mysterious “Command” but the only info they got was there must be some other agents on the expedition. Around this time, Verus started wondering… how come she had a Command, and they didn’t?!

Everyone agreed then (some more reluctantly than others) it was probably best to kill off Anastasia if she was some evil spy. And also the murderous Petra just to be safe. just like Annie had already ordered Verus to do anyway :v: Schelene the pacifist eventually rejoined the group, too late to stop them. She was not happy! But the ensuing moral debate was interrupted by the sounds of absolutely horrific screaming.

Maybe they should have this conversation later… after turning the power back on and investigating the library. There was no sign yet of the sneaky Amaretto Groody, even though he was last seen being shut inside. As for Sara Friedricks, she was… in the fireplace.

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Technically I think Command happened before I started talking! That or I'm misremembering.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

Technically I think Command happened before I started talking! That or I'm misremembering.

hm, not totally sure. I vaguely remember it being after, cause I was wondering if that could've been you doing the voice or not!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah circumstances aligned such that the two things happened rather alarmingly closer in proximity than I would have liked!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welp, anyway time to go put that gif on Annie's minion CV

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Truly amazing work, staggering genius. Channelwood when

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I cannot wait for stoneship

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eagerly awaiting nuclear rock paper scissors.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how many of you play Minecraft but as I develop concepts for Riven (which I'm still hoping to run in midSeptember and open signups for in late August??) I've been playing on a modded server with Mana, Meghan, and a few others, and one of the things I was most excited to show her was Mystcraft, a mod that allows you to make Ages - dimensions - in the game and then go there and there's a lot to it but tl;dr it's abusable as hell to get infinite things, unless you really do try to get infinite things, which I did, and then this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQSPL9lsTo

The audio is very bad - Meghan is too quiet, I am too loud; but it is what it is. It's mostly the two of us laughing anyway.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
"I'm going to try to make a hellscape" She says.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

"I'm going to try to make a hellscape" She says.

"I'M GOING TO WRITE AN AGE AND IT IS LIKELY TO BE A HELLSCAPE"

i was expecting meteors. maybe one color of decay.

i linked to mechanical.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Previously on peraMYST: more things on fire

The less said about the fireplace, the better. It was not pretty.

tl;dr: Sara Friedricks was almost definitely dead, cause that stuff was almost definitely her. She’d apparently left a suicide note, and Schelene verified that it looked like her handwriting.

MURDERS: 4-5? BAMBOOZLES: 2-3?

Since Channelwood was still a warzone and there was nowhere new to explore yet, the Myst team settled in to solve some puzzles instead. Annie and Schelene opened a secret vault in the observatory with a combination of research + brute force.

Inside was a single white page torn from some linking book, which was useless for now cause this was sequence breaking a bit... and it was only gonna lead to a death trap anyway. But there was also a disturbing rambling note from Achenar in the vault.

The mysterious “Podima” reported that even though his memory was still gone, these notes from Sirrus and Achenar were giving him strong emotional reactions! His fakeclaim presumed identity got updated from “must be Captain Daniels” to “might be that Atrus guy”

But while the observatory looked solved, the dimensional imager puzzle was still out of reach. The 3 significant dates they’d found did something at the imager, but they didn’t all work in a sequence like the observatory did. Weird.

As everyone took a much-needed break from the puzzling, they finally spotted Amaretto Groody, trying to keep himself hidden! Lea demonstrated the special ability she had from being born in the Lovers sign: Vulcan Death Grip knowledge of a special pressure point that would paralyze him. Conveniently, Schelene had also finally found where the prison book was, by stumbling into it. Annie swapped Groody into the prison instead. Maybe they could have a chat with him later to question him. He would spend the rest of the expedition in the endless void, with the prison book locked inside the vault.

That also meant Zulea was now free of the prison. Zulea was less dodgy than Groody, but that wasn’t saying an awful lot. The others tried to get a straight story from her on what really happened during the first expedition, but it was hard to tell if she was being truthful. And then… someone else popped in!

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 2, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lol the cheese though

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate that in that last panel especially, Lea is something of a multi-armed hindu goddess thanks to MMT's avatar.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Pod please inform of any MURDERS or BAMBOOZLES when possible.

this was my very first reference to No Murders No Bamboozles in-thread AND IT WAS ALL A LIE

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

this was my very first reference to No Murders No Bamboozles in-thread AND IT WAS ALL A LIE

I mean I immediately told you all about multiple bamboozles with DBD and MMM! Totally had your best interests in heart instead of just fomenting strife!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Totally had your best interests in heart instead of just fomenting strife!

mlyp

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

im eating some quality cheese now

not the no name stuff i had last time, this is actually quite good on its own

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Previously on peraMYST: what the hell is Myst Team up to?!

Back in Channelwood, people wondered what to make of all this ominous news coming in from Myst. What the hell was going ON over there? Why couldn’t they all work together in harmony like Team Discovery Channel?

Kemet the hermit even had a mystical vision shortly after his near-death experience at the windmill, of making peace with his rival Schelene. He heard a voice calling them the true Brother and Sister of The Way. They no longer needed to be opposed to each other!

But just when it looked like everything was going great, a fight broke out between the two mercenaries: Hattington and Harsha.

Hattington took advantage of the chaos to try firing at Harsha, who dodged and fired back. The fight was on, and they slipped away from the others to have a proper battle.

Their cinematic duel wove in and out of the larger battle around them, at times interrupted by outside attackers. While they pressed on, the others stared down a ton of Sirrans AND Achenans all wielding crossbows in their direction. Corn made a daring rescue to shield his sister, the Princess…

…while Robin took THE SHOT, severing a rope and making a whole staircase about to collapse.

The mercenaries continued their duel, slaying Sirrans and Achenans along the way. But Harsha wondered why it had to come to this. Was this fight really necessary? Hattington finally revealed that they’d been hired for opposing purposes. Harsha’s job was to protect as many of the expedition members as possible, but Hattington’s aim was to get them killed instead. And he was getting tired of egging Chell on to maybe do it for him indirectly. It was time to start getting down to business.

They seemingly paused their duel to deal with the big group of Sirrans, but Hattington was momentarily distracted. He spotted a way out of this hell – a linking book back to Myst!

But Harsha took this opportunity to stab him to death and booted him onto the collapsing staircase.

Hattington did get first dibs on linking back, though.

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 2, 2017

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

(do not expect most future updates to have anywhere close to this level of effort btw :v: )

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That was incredible!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Bif is really starting to show me up with this A+ narrative, I'm gonna have to step up my game

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

peramene posted:

Bif is really starting to show me up with this A+ narrative, I'm gonna have to step up my game

If only you had some unpublished material to draw upon...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Missed opportunity to put Annie's face on the sword while I stabbed Hattington (that was an amazing update).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hahaha oh my god, all the random Channelwoodians as secondary casualties in the great duel. Amazing!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

If only you had some unpublished material to draw upon...

I am going to find you.

It is not going to be pretty.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Bifauxnen posted:

(do not expect most future updates to have anywhere close to this level of effort btw :v: )

Too late!

Wonderful update, my favorite so far :j:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

Missed opportunity to put Annie's face on the sword while I stabbed Hattington (that was an amazing update).

Oh :laffo: that would've been good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I was in the story!

• Locked thread