Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
bitcoin: in case you're too much of a bitchmade nerdlinger to ask your waiter where you can score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Bitcoin will reach $3000 in 2017!!

*falls below $1000 after ETF gets denied*

*ridiculous in-fighting over incoming hard fork and price correction*

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I could have made like 15 bitcoin s in a month on my regular conputer when it came out

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
lol who was the guy who paid 10 bitcoins for a pizza? so at the current price is mining bitcoins worth it? i'm gonna say yes, time to splash out 10k on a sweet bitmining rig.

e: oh poo poo i meant 10000 buttcoins.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

kierrie posted:

i'm gonna say yes, time to splash out 10k on a sweet bitmining rig.

I would highly advise against this, you're going up against this kind of operation siphoning off a national grid:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

I would highly advise against this, you're going up against this kind of operation siphoning off a national grid:

Some of those Chinese bitcoin mining operations have their own hydroelectric generators don't they?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I ran a miner on my work imac for like a month and a half and then later ended up cashing out around 8k around the first peak. Welp that's my bitcoin story.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

I should note that I literally caused the first great bitcoin crash (from like 80 dollars down to 5) by posting "bitcoins are crashing, SELL SELL SELL" on the bitcointalk forums with a corresponding snippet of the graph showing they'd dropped 10% in like 2 hours.

I have ever reason to believe this is the case given how dumb everyone involved is.

Unrelated: everyone involved in bitcoins should loving die. I'm not kidding.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

LethalGeek posted:

Unrelated: everyone involved in bitcoins should loving die. I'm not kidding.

I don't know Drone_Fragger that well, but I'm not sure that I agree with this statement.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish there were some regulated and well established way for me to make online transactions

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ElGroucho posted:

I wish there were some regulated and well established way for me to make online transactions

Found your problem

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Oh hey i found that old picture about how easy it is to secure your bitcoins.
Still relevant?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

in a stunning defeat for its founders,

lol was it really that stunning

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Reminder: the whole point of Bitcoin was that the people using it, would be the ones doing the mining.
It was supposed to be a network of peoples PC's, decentralised, working to process transactions.
Now it's just a smouldering heap of Chinese electronics.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

but how would we buy our weed then? oh right weed is legal everywhere now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i still cant quite figure out how bitcoin is so super anonymous if everyone who uses it supposedly has to download like every transaction ever to the tune of a bajillion gigs or w/e

can someone give me the "explain it to a five year old" answer here

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i still cant quite figure out how bitcoin is so super anonymous if everyone who uses it supposedly has to download like every transaction ever to the tune of a bajillion gigs or w/e

can someone give me the "explain it to a five year old" answer here

You don't have to download it if you just want to pay with butts, that's only for people who check others' transactions for a small reward. But blockchain that contains all transactions ever is indeed accessible to everyone, and although transactions don't usually carry any personal info apart from your relayed IP address, it is relatively easy to trace them.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope you guys will all invest in my new forked venture, PanochaCoin

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Here we go!
Bitcoin Wallets Under Siege From ‘Large Collider’ Attack

quote:

A group called the "Large Bitcoin Collider" claims it can smash open bitcoin wallets by using a so-called brute force attack, which directs mass amounts of computer power at individual wallets in order to guess their private keys.

:toot:

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

Sick

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Welp, there goes my 0.0174BTC :(
Hope it was worth the effort, fuckers

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
John Wick pays people in bitcoins.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone else seeing ads on facebook for "TaaS ICO," some alt-coin index fund scam?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As expected, Ross Ulbricht loses his appeal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/silk-road-founder-loses-appeal-151531887.html

quote:

Ross Ulbricht, the founder of the darknet marketplace known as Silk Road, has lost his appeal of a 2015 conviction that has him serving a life sentence on drug trafficking and money laundering charges, according to a federal appeals court decision released Wednesday morning.

Ulbricht argued that the district court that convicted him violated the Fourth Amendment—which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures—by wrongly denying his motion to suppress evidence, and that he was deprived of his right to a fair trial.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Turns out paying people to crack the very encryption you secure the rewards with leads to people developing very large systems capable of brute forcing such encryption (relatively) quickly

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I do like good news, couldn't happen to a bigger piece of poo poo.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
The last time Bitcoins made news for being worth something, there was some goon who talked about how basically impossible it was to convert your bitcoins back into honest-to-God money as he recounted his experience trying to sell his. Can anyone confirm this?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jellymouth posted:

The last time Bitcoins made news for being worth something, there was some goon who talked about how basically impossible it was to convert your bitcoins back into honest-to-God money as he recounted his experience trying to sell his. Can anyone confirm this?

The current price is largely a result of an exchange losing nearly all paths to get US dollars out, so everyone is selling their coins on that service to get them out which has created this bubble that will crash. This is because most any bank and this point wants nothing to do with money touched by buttcoin

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are there still any legit businesses accepting bitcoin?

Are they now having to launder any money they got by trading bitcoin, even if it was 100 percent legal?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Sadly the days of having to cash out Bitcoins via drugs are over.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

Are they now having to launder any money they got by trading bitcoin, even if it was 100 percent legal?

Coinbase is a payment option on a lot of websites and it isn't bankrupt yet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It doesn't matter how much money you made if your currency makes you look like a gigantic dipshit of a tool

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VideoTapir posted:

Microsoft

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LethalGeek posted:

The current price is largely a result of an exchange losing nearly all paths to get US dollars out, so everyone is selling their coins on that service to get them out which has created this bubble that will crash. This is because most any bank and this point wants nothing to do with money touched by buttcoin

Uhh....this is awkward but uhh....sell offs make the price go down, not up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bittcoin doesnt follow the rules

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
*drags on cigarette*

xlanciferionx
Apr 18, 2004
recovering suicide victim
You're poor because you make bad decisions. That's not the fault of any other goon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

I'm pretty sure Newegg still accepts* bitcoin. Rumor is that Coinbase is propped up on a mountain of VC money so they may stick around for awhile, but who really knows.

* you send bitcoins to Coinbase, Coinbase sends real money to Newegg

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Op what does "Bruce Wagner" and "demo mode" and "goons vibrating a blackberry onto the floor on a live video stream" mean to you????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Uhh....this is awkward but uhh....sell offs make the price go down, not up.

It's not a sell off, Bitfinex stopped all cash withdrawals because they ran out of banks who would work with them so people with cash deposits there tried to convert their cash into bitcoins. This translates into demand for bitcoins, driving the price up. We saw the same rapid price climb for the same reasons back when MtGox stopped cash withdrawals. If you know what happened to MtGox after that, you can probably see what's coming.

Note that Bitfinex is the same exchange that lost a bunch of bitcoins in a hack and decided to give all of their customers a 36% haircut last year, even customers who didn't have any bitcoin deposits. So people who are still investing over there are already dumb as bricks

• Locked thread