Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Is there any way to see what something's actual strength is when it's been boosted/damaged, or do I just need to try and keep track of it in my head? Not always sure what the best bang for the buck is on resetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
GwentTracker displays the base strength when you hover over a card. Everyone really should be using a deck tracker until CDPR implements some of this stuff.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Toruviel is the best and most fun card.

I've been experimenting with an ambush focused ST deck and it's pretty bad but ho-oly poo poo is toruviel fun and awesome. Maybe it's just the casual matchmaking I'm getting but so many people do not know how to deal with or account for her. Or maybe they just forget that she is potentially 14 strength? Either way winning the first round is amazingly easy because of the Saskia/Roach burst plus Toruviel and maybe a couple other cards into a pass as almost every time my opponent will play cards to catch up then lose to Toruviel. I only wish I could figure out a way to then win either turn 2 or 3. I realise she's good in other decks but I like playing with the new Elven Mercenaries and Dol Blathanna trappers which work in a similar fashion to Rot Tossers in that your opponent will go out of their way to try and lock/banish them.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
will people learn that emoting at the end of the match will always cost them 5 ore/scraps

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ShowTime posted:

GwentTracker displays the base strength when you hover over a card. Everyone really should be using a deck tracker until CDPR implements some of this stuff.

tbh I'd put it in the OP, if it isn't. (ah it is) CDPR's even given the deck tracker their blessing and it's one of the most well made and lightweight deck trackers I've seen.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Does "heal" with no qualifier heal to base strength, boosted strength, or something else?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kawabata posted:

will people learn that emoting at the end of the match will always cost them 5 ore/scraps

Even if the emote is the well played emote? I use that one a lot. I also use the Dandelion avatar, so maybe that condescending tone rubs people the wrong way.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

Even if the emote is the well played emote? I use that one a lot. I also use the Dandelion avatar, so maybe that condescending tone rubs people the wrong way.

No of course, I emote well played too. But yeah I'm not giving 5 ores to the guy that emotes "thank you" after a completely out of the blue last round last turn scorch.

I suppose for some players emoting is more important than getting stuff because they have to know they probably won't get a gg after that.

EDIT: hey Dandelion buddy! :)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Completely dif note, are there any drawbacks to forfeiting in casual play? For the sake of grinding daily rewards, would it be a good idea to construct a deck out of base cards that just rushes for a round 1 win then forfeits to secure the fastest possible grind? Already past level 10 so I won't be tanking mmr.

I'm trying to think what's the hardest first round all in you could do to make someone give up and pass round 1. Probably just the typical Tibir and Hjalmar all ins? Playing a Succubus or a Wild Boar to bait an early pass? I'm gonna give it a try with Morv and Tibir/roach all ins and see how it goes.

fwiw I think you also get some additional exp for playing cards, so winning first round and dumping your hand before forfeiting could also work if you're just rushing to level 10.

Minera fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 2, 2017

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Robutt posted:

Toruviel is the best and most fun card.

I've been experimenting with an ambush focused ST deck and it's pretty bad but ho-oly poo poo is toruviel fun and awesome. Maybe it's just the casual matchmaking I'm getting but so many people do not know how to deal with or account for her. Or maybe they just forget that she is potentially 14 strength? Either way winning the first round is amazingly easy because of the Saskia/Roach burst plus Toruviel and maybe a couple other cards into a pass as almost every time my opponent will play cards to catch up then lose to Toruviel. I only wish I could figure out a way to then win either turn 2 or 3. I realise she's good in other decks but I like playing with the new Elven Mercenaries and Dol Blathanna trappers which work in a similar fashion to Rot Tossers in that your opponent will go out of their way to try and lock/banish them.

i actually think that toruviel is better in later rounds against people who dont know to respect the threat

you can easily win a round 1 with the saskia roach, or other cards, sacrifice your card advantage, and then round 2 you can steal wins by putting down a few cards, keeping it close, and then putting down toruviel. most people will pass to maintain their lead in cards and not commit too much and i also believe most people believe theyre facing vridhedd sappers

edit last turn should be obvious, put her down whenever really unless your afraid of a lock

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 2, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

I'm trying to think what's the hardest first round all in you could do to make someone give up and pass round 1. Probably just the typical Tibir and Hjalmar all ins? Playing a Succubus or a Wild Boar to bait an early pass? I'm gonna give it a try with Morv and Tibir/roach all ins and see how it goes.

fwiw I think you also get some additional exp for playing cards, so winning first round and dumping your hand before forfeiting could also work if you're just rushing to level 10.

My experience after trying this one game: people freaking out and trying to play out round 1s where you're up 50 points and instead throwing the game so hard you just play it to completion and win :downs:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Minrad posted:

Yen Conjurer would probably work too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Someone passed to my turn 1 calveit into golems + Villentretenmerth. Probably more out of gently caress this poo poo than because they thought it was a good play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Opponent's up 3 cards, has 5 cards in hand, is forced to concede because you've got a savage bear on board and he has 5 priestess of freya in hand :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RatHat posted:

Yen Conjurer would probably work too.

Unless I have a really bad feeling about Squirrels or Nilf, I just slam YenConj round 1 turn 1 if I have her. It's very often the longest round, and if it's not my generic Monster deck can come up with something because, yanno, weather and such.

(Then she gets shackled and I am sad)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Minrad posted:

You shouldn't forfeit or throw before level 10, because the game ranks you in ranked mode based on all your games in casual play beforehand. After that though, do all the one-round whoring for daily rewards you want. Also, remember to pass on round 2 right away, and forfeit after the mulligan in round 3 so that you get the option to GG. When you forfeit earlier, you sometimes lose it.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Minrad posted:

Opponent's up 3 cards, has 5 cards in hand, is forced to concede because you've got a savage bear on board and he has 5 priestess of freya in hand :allears:

Savage bear also eats Dudu before he can proc strength copying XD

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Uh, welp. Won a game that would've gotten my sixth win for today from a server disconnect, didn't get my 100 ore. Tried relogging and playing a few games, now I'm at 3/12 wins on daily rewards. RIP??

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

No Wave posted:

That's an arbitrary metric to have variety over with little return. It's technically variety but the substance is questionable. If decks are stale the first question is the card pool and counters.

The entire game is arbitrary as it is a game with arbitrary rules and no goal aside from getting more numbers than your opponent twice. Having more variety is a good thing all things considered and it's weird that you're poo-pooing something as low stakes as "making a deck arguably worse but more interesting to play as and against but still closer to viable". Are you subtly making the "optimal" jokes that were such a gosh darn funny meme in the Hearthstone thread?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The entire game is arbitrary as it is a game with arbitrary rules and no goal aside from getting more numbers than your opponent twice. Having more variety is a good thing all things considered and it's weird that you're poo-pooing something as low stakes as "making a deck arguably worse but more interesting to play as and against but still closer to viable". Are you subtly making the "optimal" jokes that were such a gosh darn funny meme in the Hearthstone thread?
I'm not interested in cards that get extra stats because your deck started with thirty five cards. Sorry. If you want to see how interested the player base is in those decks when the supporting cards aren't completely broken, look at the state of highlander in HS right now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

Uh, welp. Won a game that would've gotten my sixth win for today from a server disconnect, didn't get my 100 ore. Tried relogging and playing a few games, now I'm at 3/12 wins on daily rewards. RIP??

Yeeeah I ranked up, I opened a keg, then the next keg I opened threw an error and kept giving me the same keg. I rebooted game, still had that keg, and the cards from the first keg weren't added to my collection despite being gone from the kegs I had gotten. :nallears:

Also I can no longer queues for games, casual or ranked.

I'm just gonna take a step back since I assume my account's broken or something now.

But hey I got a Cynthia from a random rounds won reward, so there's that.

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 2, 2017

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

it seems around rank 7 is when everyone has their perfect net decks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Casual is pretty full of netdecks too, though I'm guessing a beta is naturally going to attract people who are more interested in the game and thus more willing to grind / spend money vs. people coming to it after it officially releases.

Also today I pulled out a win on a game where I lost round 1 and my opponent started round 2 with 2 18-power resilient units on the board. I have no idea how.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think the biggest thing killing deck variety is that there's very few strong neutrals. If you want to play a deck, you need to invest in a faction, and there's not a lot of variety inside the factions yet. So if someone wants to build a strong deck, they're locked in to a faction for at least a few weeks, until they can get together the scraps for a few other faction golds and silvers and branch out more.

Obviously people are always gonna net deck, but people having more cards owned on top of having a few more cards added to expand archetypes and open up more tech choices should do a lot for variety.

It's not like that's very different for other card games: remember when shattered sun cleric, yeti, and dark iron dwarf went in every deck for every class when Hearthstone was new? The game should open up a lot very soon as long as there's no completely out of balance cards added.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Contemplating taking the Guardian out of my reveal deck, he's pretty tasty but doesn't really synergise at all. On one hand it's nice to have a stand alone card, but at the same time I'm thinking of running the mage instead, or Serrit, though I'm finding it hard to judge how good he actually is? He seems really tricky to play off even if combo'd with Cynthia.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Contemplating taking the Guardian out of my reveal deck, he's pretty tasty but doesn't really synergise at all. On one hand it's nice to have a stand alone card, but at the same time I'm thinking of running the mage instead, or Serrit, though I'm finding it hard to judge how good he actually is? He seems really tricky to play off even if combo'd with Cynthia.

The Guardian is cool, but seems like a trap. It doesn't really do much for what it is. Vanhemar is the poo poo and one of the best mages in the game. Tremors is great and can sometimes mean Vanhemar is a 19str silver. The tremors are also great against stuff like eggs to spawn their harpies before the next round or even to kill off their grave hag before it gets buffed to crazy levels.

Minrad posted:

Did something similar yesterday to a Queensguard player. Round 3, down a card, Vicovaro Medic not any of his juicy Queensguard, but his Savage Bear. He tries to kill it with something I can't remember, but I save it and then when I drop my next Vicovaro Medic he automatically concedes. I usually don't run medics but I had two in that deck for some reason.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Will craft up the mage, cheers mate!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Guardian's a good card, but you'll just get more out of the mage, yeah. I'm 1.2k scrap away from playing a dank Nilf deck right now, just need that mage and Cantarella to play the spy variant that looks fun. Reveal Nilf is fun enough (and it's pretty funny to have your opponent's entire hand revealed) but I think it just comes down to Cahir + John is so much stronger than Morv and Vilge/Vattier/etc. Consistently playing double roach and all your golds/silvers is just way too good to pass up when you're playing a ton of games to rank up.

re: guardian chat https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyAnnoyingTortoiseSquadGoals

Watching Tides going for rank 1 right now, the top players are all around 3.1k mmr but ranks top out around 4k don't they? I guess it's gonna be a few weeks before anyone hits that as the ELO system filters points up through the ladder.

e: lmao first visual bug I've seen, Olgierd stayed scorched and RNR didn't go away between rounds

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 2, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Guardian's a good card, but you'll just get more out of the mage, yeah. I'm 1.2k scrap away from playing a dank Nilf deck right now, just need that mage and Cantarella to play the spy variant that looks fun. Reveal Nilf is fun enough (and it's pretty funny to have your opponent's entire hand revealed) but I think it just comes down to Cahir + John is so much stronger than Morv and Vilge/Vattier/etc. Consistently playing double roach and all your golds/silvers is just way too good to pass up when you're playing a ton of games to rank up.

re: guardian chat https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyAnnoyingTortoiseSquadGoals

Watching Tides going for rank 1 right now, the top players are all around 3.1k mmr but ranks top out around 4k don't they? I guess it's gonna be a few weeks before anyone hits that as the ELO system filters points up through the ladder.

e: lmao first visual bug I've seen, Olgierd stayed scorched and RNR didn't go away between rounds

Rank 21 is 4.8k. I think people were pushing into 5.5k towards the end.

Though there was one player in CB that reach 9001 mmr back in april...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Closed beta's ranked was up for like, what, five or six months though right? That's gonna leave the 21 rankings pretty exclusive. :stare:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So apparently one of the Elf Brigade cards actually does something completely different to what its card says, rather than having a mulligan effect it moves things across rows and clears weather from its row.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Closed beta's ranked was up for like, what, five or six months though right? That's gonna leave the 21 rankings pretty exclusive. :stare:

For a very long time the highest mmr people were reaching was 4.-4.4 due to the limited pool of players. When Lifecoach joined it was the big thing that he got to 4k in less than 2 weeks. As the player pool grew more people started to push to high mmr more it grew till it closed at 5.5 or something. Currently it's going pretty slow because everybody started at the very bottom and people are still slowly trickling in at the lower half of the ladder. There will also be far more players in OB.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

No Wave posted:

Someone passed to my turn 1 calveit into golems + Villentretenmerth. Probably more out of gently caress this poo poo than because they thought it was a good play.

Sometimes I will just immediately pass to a turn 1 or 2 Yenn Con opening. I loving hate that card so much that most of the time I would rather just not have to deal with it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Robutt posted:

Sometimes I will just immediately pass to a turn 1 or 2 Yenn Con opening. I loving hate that card so much that most of the time I would rather just not have to deal with it.
i might lose the game, but i derive some weird sense of satisfaction from beating that card no matter what

maybe im a masochist

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Robutt posted:

I just stagger out my plays so that she only hits 1, sometimes 2. Sometimes that can be hard but with all the different options I can usually get her to only do 6-7 strength damage, at which point she becomes just another gold. If not a shittier one.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I had a game last night that a dude played a Rag Nar Roog as his FIRST CARD on turn 1. After that we had a back and forth taunting battle before I passed. He passed too like an idiot and tied the round with nothing on the field. I beat him after a long drawn out round 2 and taunted him the entire way to my victory!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just started playing and milled my monsters/elf/dwarf decks (because gently caress monsters and gently caress scoi'tel) to build a NR siege deck. Iv been readying everywere that NR is kinda underpowered and that playing with the lowest amount of cards is the best; but I can't actually get a machine deck to make sense with basically no cards

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

I just started playing and milled my monsters/elf/dwarf decks (because gently caress monsters and gently caress scoi'tel) to build a NR siege deck. Iv been readying everywere that NR is kinda underpowered and that playing with the lowest amount of cards is the best; but I can't actually get a machine deck to make sense with basically no cards

Uhhh this is basically one of the worst things i've ever read of someone doing in Gwent. You should never mill cards, because there will not be another reset and who knows how long or how much scrap it's gonna take you to get it all back. You also used it to build into arguably the worst faction at the moment. So you have a pretty tough uphill battle ahead of you. NR is gonna get tuned for the better but it who knows how long it's gonna take.

For now look into Henselt Reavers. Go to GwentDB.com and look for those decks and just build towards what you can with what you have.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeaaah. I'd maybe make a fresh account and not do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

even your snake avatar looks disappointed in you