Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

JacksLibido posted:

-what's the point of firing in your first "action" section? Do I get a bonus to aim for not moving? Why would I not MOVE then shoot? Terrain seems to be of no concern other than forests, so why not move just for the sake of moving?

There's a pilot ability called Bulwark. If you don't move it gives you the same bonus as the Brace action. But where Brace lets you move and then Brace for the bonus, Bulwark lets you stand still and fire and still get the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

JacksLibido posted:

-They ABSOLUTELY need to incorporate a shot hit % for each move option you have. If I have a 50% chance to hit with an AC20 at spot x, they need to show me what it will be if I move to spot y. Right now you kinda have to roll the dice on if the shot will have a better or worse chance to hit.
When you get the firing arcs while deciding on a move, have you tried hovering your mouse over a target? I think that gives you the %s.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also I don't really think being up high should give plus to hit or anything like that. Those mechanics make sense in cover rich shooters like xcom because you're essentially shooting over the cover, but that's not the case here. It does what getting on any hill does - gives you a view over the obstruction to see what's on the other side.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

The Raven is supposed to be carrying rudimentary ECM and Electronic Warfare systems. It is possible that when this gets added in it might be able to do this kind of job.

Hopefully, as of right now I feel actively discouraged from running light mechs in front of assualts. I'm doing the top end battle with the default loadout that has an atlas, an orion, a panther and a commando and running my lights in front just gets them spotted and killed.

Also the Trebuchet is bigger than an Awesome...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Hopefully, as of right now I feel actively discouraged from running light mechs in front of assualts. I'm doing the top end battle with the default loadout that has an atlas, an orion, a panther and a commando and running my lights in front just gets them spotted and killed.

Yeah you absolutely should not send the lights up front, they need to fan out on the side far away and some in when the shits started flying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JacksLibido posted:

Save them in the back then run them at flanks and rear armor. Commandos are brutal if they get in the enemies rear arc. If it's not a spotter then, yeah, running lights in front of assaults is kind of a bad idea.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Think of it like this, a Light Mechs first job is to not get shot.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Q_res posted:

That's a funny way to spell "Be annoying as gently caress"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Use your Lights either as back-stabbers (Commando, Jenner) or long range skirmishers (Panther, LRM Locust). If you're just running into the middle of a fight alongside your Atlas, they're going to get shredded.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Only got about 15 minutes to play the game so far because of sleep/work, but man it's pretty great. I'm really looking forward to getting back home so I can do more stomping.

I feel like the load times are pretty excessive though, but maybe that was just because it was my first time running it. The general feel of the game is fantastic though, and I'm looking forward to queueing up the Mechwarrior 2/3 soundtracks to play while I shoot robots.

Edit: is there any sort of implementation of tabletop-style rules for lights regarding how far you move factoring into some kind of defensive bonus? I just instinctively make my lights go as far and as fast as I can because my brain equates that with enemies having a to-hit penalty on them.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Drone posted:

Only got about 15 minutes to play the game so far because of sleep/work, but man it's pretty great. I'm really looking forward to getting back home so I can do more stomping.

I feel like the load times are pretty excessive though, but maybe that was just because it was my first time running it. The general feel of the game is fantastic though, and I'm looking forward to queueing up the Mechwarrior 2/3 soundtracks to play while I shoot robots.

Edit: is there any sort of implementation of tabletop-style rules for lights regarding how far you move factoring into some kind of defensive bonus? I just instinctively make my lights go as far and as fast as I can because my brain equates that with enemies having a to-hit penalty on them.

If you sprint then the mech gains the Evasive condition which gives every attack against it a flat 50% chance to miss, any mech can gain Evasive by sprinting though, not just lights.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Q_res posted:

Yeah but in THIS iteration of the game that means they do NOTHING. A light mech should be used as a scout right? That means spotting and identifying enemy mechs first, shooting second. This game doesn't have that mechanic. If a scout mech can see an enemy, then the enemy can see the scout mech.

Skippy McPants posted:

Use your Lights either as back-stabbers (Commando, Jenner) or long range skirmishers (Panther, LRM Locust). If you're just running into the middle of a fight alongside your Atlas, they're going to get shredded.

Yeah so why even bring a scout mech? If I'm going to do my "scouting" with an Atlas then I'd rather just bring a 3 mech lance of all heavies and destroy the enemy. Right now I'm trying to bring 3xlarge 1xscout and run my scout in front of my heavies as a spotter. This is a bad idea since if I can see the enemy, the enemy can see me, and the way the initiative system works, the move after I spot the enemy my light gets loving reamed.

-edit-
Also, I figured out what's wrong with the scale of the game! All the mountains are too small. There's like, cliffs that jut out of nowhere for one square then a road runs beside them. There's nothing truly BIG in the terrain, which makes my mechs look small.

Also, the ranges seem SUPER short. Every fight I've been in so far has had a LOT of meleee combat.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Phrosphor posted:

If you sprint then the mech gains the Evasive condition which gives every attack against it a flat 50% chance to miss, any mech can gain Evasive by sprinting though, not just lights.

There's also a 'defence' value, which gets a bonus based on how far you move-

"Moved (1-3)
This unit has a +2, +4, or +6 Defense based on the distance it
moved on its turn. (This modifier will be applied against enemy
to-hit rolls against this unit.)"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JacksLibido posted:

Yeah so why even bring a scout mech? If I'm going to do my "scouting" with an Atlas then I'd rather just bring a 3 mech lance of all heavies and destroy the enemy. Right now I'm trying to bring 3xlarge 1xscout and run my scout in front of my heavies as a spotter. This is a bad idea since if I can see the enemy, the enemy can see me, and the way the initiative system works, the move after I spot the enemy my light gets loving reamed.

If you're using your Light as a forward spotter, make sure whoever is piloting it has Sensor Lock. That'll let you stay in cover while granting LoS to the rest of your Lance. Most of my fights have started out this way, with the rest of my team getting a full shooting round on the enemy with little to no return fire thanks to the pissant 2.1MV locust I've got stuck in a corner somewhere.

Also, a'corse, make sure to pull that spotter back once the enemy moves up.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

If you're using your Light as a forward spotter, make sure whoever is piloting it has Sensor Lock. That'll let you stay in cover while granting LoS to the rest of your Lance. Most of my fights have started out this way, with the rest of my team getting a full shooting round on the enemy with little to no return fire thanks to the pissant 2.1MV locust I've got stuck in a corner somewhere.

Also, a'corse, make sure to pull that spotter back once the enemy moves up.

What usually happens is: I move my scout up in a sprint (I wish you could double move in a turn) and ID some shadows. Next round I sensor lock a target first move (since I don't know when I'll lose the ghosts since the game wont tell me if I lose sensor ID), the enemy gets the next move and moves into LOS, the enemy rapes my light with sensor lock, my heavies shoot the enemy who is now in LOS since they moved up, I move my scout back, the fight starts as if I'd never had a scout since now everybody has LOS of everybody else.

Wnat should happen IMO:
I move my scout up and ID a bunch of shadows. I then sensor lock one and remain hidden. The enemy see I sensor locked one of them and sprints towards my forces. Their sprint reveals my NON-SCOUTS while the dude with sensor lock remains hidden until he moves or is spotted by the enemy scout. The fight commences.

-edit-
I just went with stock loadouts on assault mechs. It turned into my 3 mechs (2xjaegers, 1x battlemaster) in a circle loving melee with the 2 enemies (1x griffin 1x jaeger). This is dumb. Melee is funny and all, but seriously, there's far more tactics in xcom with individual dudes with guns than there is with giant robots.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 2, 2017

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I broke the game with melee. Went to melee with a jaegermech and got stuck in animation hell.

I've also changed my mind on gameplay. It's meh. Maybe the strategy layer will add something extra to it, but at this point if you want tactical turn based strategy you're better off sticking with xcom. This game is seriously just loadout vs loadout. Whoever has better close range and melee wins.

Mechcommander is more fun, and I definitely can't wait for MW5. This game just feels FAR too random. In xcom I can mitigate the enemy shots with smart moves... this game? I dunno, maybe I'm not seeing it but it just feels like your dudes brawling with their dudes and whoever picked the best loadout wins. Kinda sucks.

-edit-
Also seriously, loving every turn is pilot injured wtf.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 2, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lots of stuff injures pilots, but they can take five hits before the sixth kills them. In my experience so far, it's a lot more likely they'll either get head-capped or have their mech cored long before they rack up those half-dozen wounds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

More than the Damage, I think my problem with PPCs is their heat. For a weapon that has the same damage as an AC/5 with only slightly better range, it seems to generate something like four times as much heat per shot.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Lots of stuff injures pilots, but they can take five hits before the sixth kills them. In my experience so far, it's a lot more likely they'll either get head-capped or have their mech cored long before they rack up those half-dozen wounds.

In skirmish mode yes, in my limited experience pilots don't get hurt enough to cause any issues, but I can't help but extrapolate how all these pilot injuries will affect the campaign mode. If my pilots are getting hurt every mission, then I'm going to have to prioritise my pilots over my mechs which seems counter intuitive to battletech lore.

Head shots are also a lot more prevalent that I'd have thought. So far I've lost an Atlas to a back CT crit, and an awesome to a headshot... all in 4, maybe 5 games? The mechs don't really seem DIFFERENT you know? I've had a hunchback tank an entire lances damage for 3 or 4 turns, while an awesome got loving reamed in 2. Mechs don't really seem individually powerful apart from their weapons, and right now pound for pound the Orion beats them all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In general, ballistic weaponry seems a bit too strong when fighting against other mechs of similar value with different loadouts. Against larger forces with vehicles to soak up hits it might be a different thing though.

Then again I am also the guy that just loaded up on AC20s when playing Mercenaries.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

In skirmish mode yes, in my limited experience pilots don't get hurt enough to cause any issues, but I can't help but extrapolate how all these pilot injuries will affect the campaign mode. If my pilots are getting hurt every mission, then I'm going to have to prioritise my pilots over my mechs which seems counter intuitive to battletech lore.

I thought that pilots mattered (though still not as much as mechs) in particular to mercenaries who can't necessarily just shovel more meat into the cockpits due to funding constraints. Especially in the case of getting someone who is at least loyal to the payroll vs. people who will just run off with the mech.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Commoners posted:

I thought that pilots mattered (though still not as much as mechs) in particular to mercenaries who can't necessarily just shovel more meat into the cockpits due to funding constraints. Especially in the case of getting someone who is at least loyal to the payroll vs. people who will just run off with the mech.

Dunno, I have a bookshelf filled with literally 50 battletech books and pretty much each one emphasized how replaceable mechwarriors were and how important the actual mechs were. In skirmish it works, but if I'm having to put a rookie into an atlas every mission because of a loving srm4 I'm going to be pissed.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

Dunno, I have a bookshelf filled with literally 50 battletech books and pretty much each one emphasized how replaceable mechwarriors were and how important the actual mechs were. In skirmish it works, but if I'm having to put a rookie into an atlas every mission because of a loving srm4 I'm going to be pissed.

That's more the context that I meant. That having pilots that know what they're doing are still a super important resource, though still expendable when compared to the mech that they're piloting.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also I don't really think being up high should give plus to hit or anything like that. Those mechanics make sense in cover rich shooters like xcom because you're essentially shooting over the cover, but that's not the case here. It does what getting on any hill does - gives you a view over the obstruction to see what's on the other side.

So then what's the point of ANY terrain other than forests or lakes? Right now there's all these mountains and cliffs and friggn' plateau things jutting out of the ground that make my dudes seem small and really not all that giant stompy robot-y... why not just have a large field with open sight lanes if I'm not going to get any benefit from terrain? Also, it's been YEARS since I play BT boardgames but I thought you got a bonus to hit from elevation...

Dude, Total War games have more tactical decision making than this and they're not even turn based strategy, the game type I'd think would have the MOST tactical considerations.

Commoners posted:

That's more the context that I meant. That having pilots that know what they're doing are still a super important resource, though still expendable when compared to the mech that they're piloting.

I could totally buy this and would be seriously down for it. Growing a mechwarrior from recruit to badass would be legit fun, especially if there was some sort of mechwarrior tech tree a-la world of tanks/ world of warships or something. As of now, ONLY from what I've seen, your mechwarriors get hurt WAY too often for this to be a thing. Each battle I end up with at least 1-2 mechs down and 2-3 mechwarriors injured. If this were an actual campaign and the injuries required time out of battle a-la xcom then I'd be proper hosed and none of my mechwarriors would be advancing in skill in any appreciable way.

Again, that's just an assumption based off of what I'm seeing now, but I think it's based solidly in fact.

Q_res posted:

There's a pilot ability called Bulwark. If you don't move it gives you the same bonus as the Brace action. But where Brace lets you move and then Brace for the bonus, Bulwark lets you stand still and fire and still get the bonus.

What if you don't have bulwark? I've pretty much just gone with the stock loadouts apart from 1-2 fights where I tried something different and so haven't had time to really mess with pilot skills. For those dudes who DON't have this particular skill, is there any benefit to shooting without moving? The game really needs to give me some idea of what my shot percentages are with my different moves. As is I'm just kinda going with what I THINK will be good based off of extensive MW2/MW2 mercs and XCOM experience.

Ardlen posted:

When you get the firing arcs while deciding on a move, have you tried hovering your mouse over a target? I think that gives you the %s.

I THINK I've tried but I'll admit I got (and am) pretty drunk before playing... I might not be seeing ALL of what I should be seeing in the interface. I'm basing a lot of my gameplay requests off of what I think mechommander+xcom+old school battletech board game should be.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

JacksLibido posted:

Right now there's all these mountains and cliffs and friggn' plateau things jutting out of the ground that make my dudes seem small and really not all that giant stompy robot-y...

This much is at least really true, the proportions between mechs and the terrain feels a bit out of whack.

That being said, it also does feel pretty close to this so.....

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Okay, so preliminary "official" skill ranking. Agree?

Good Skills:
Bulwark - 50% damage reduction when you remain stationary. I'm a big fan of this on missile boats, park one in some water and just sling lurms until you run out.

Master Tactician - +1 Initiative and removes the Unsteady state when you reserve the Mech. You get to move one phase earlier, plus you can empty your stability bar at essentially no cost. Great skill on Medium Mechs.

Sensor Lock - Grants your Mech Line-of-Sight to a target it otherwise wouldn't have LoS to and scrubs the Evasive state and defense modifiers from the target. A well played, well positioned Light with this skill can win you a game.

Evasive Move - When you move you gain the Evasive state, 50% chance to dodge all incoming ranged attacks until your next turn. Doesn't affect Melee or apply when you have the Unsteady state. Slap this on a heavily armored Mech and you turn it into an absolute damage tank. It's probably a little OP, actually.

Bad Skills:
Multi-Target - Fire at up to 3 target within your firing arc. Pretty straight forward, just not that actually useful in practice. Usually you're better off saving the heat and just sticking to one target, imo.

Precision Strike - When you attack with only one weapon you will ignor the Cover or Guarded states on the target. Potentially useful on the Griffin 1N, Hunchback 4G and Panther. And that's pretty much loving it.

Angel of Death - Jump Distance of your Mech is increased by 25% and you take 50% less damage when you execute a Death From Above attack. You also do not gain the Unsteady state after performing a DFA. Definitely the best of the 2nd tier skills, the main downside is that you pay for that increased jump distance with an even more severe heat penalty when you jump.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I mean, Battlemechs not feeling large compared to hills and mountains makes sense. They're ~10-15m tall(17-20m if you use PGI's inflated scale, which they seem to be). That's not really "giant" in the context of old growth forests or mountains/hills. They'll probably feel a lot bigger when/if there are urban combat maps.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Either use the spotting skill [note that the spotter doesn't need los] or use the evade skill and cover. Either will preserve your light for guiding in lrms.

Didn't see this earlier...

It doesn't really save the light though. Yeah your lights don't need LOS to spot a mech at first, you can get them kinda far out... the problem is that doesn't last very long at all. For example:

I had a game at 25mil, med mechs. Moved my guys up the first turn, second turn my commando moves up and spots an enemy. Since the game doesn't let you double move (regular move then regular move after) I'm hosed because I sprinted... unless the game DOES let you double move, in which case WHOOPS. I move my dudes to the high ground and what I'd think is partial cover (that like cliff thing on the river map that looks like there's medium sized rocks and poo poo) and set up firing lanes. The next move I push my commando up a bit more, then sensor lock a centurion. I proceed to lurm the centurion down with trebuchets (which in game are larger than an Awesome) and the centurion moves away. HOWEVER, the enemy then rushes my position hardcore. The centurion who was getting lurmed moves back, but a hunchback and a treb sprint up and proceed to dodge 3xalphas from an Awesome and a bunch of lurms from a treb and catapult (sprinting is stupid strong). That rush opens up my commando to spotting an the enemy just loving reams him, with the enemy Orion scoring stupid strong AC10 hits... in the beta the AC10 is seriously stupid loving strong.

In effect my Commando managed to score me 1 full turn of spotting and hits before it was rendered completely worthless. In future games with higher tonnage limits, my commando and panther ended up being little more than extra targets I could distract the enemy with.

Lights need a purpose, they need to scout and they need to spot. You should be able to hide your scouts in half cover and have them hidden from anything other than other light mechs outside of a certain range or so. Right now I'm finding that the best loadout is AC10s and then maybe some missiles and small lasers. Also anythign that has weight and can close with the enemy, since 3/5 of my matches so far have ended with a circle of ~5 mechs just taking turns melee'ing each other.

Kanos posted:

I mean, Battlemechs not feeling large compared to hills and mountains makes sense. They're ~10-15m tall(17-20m if you use PGI's inflated scale, which they seem to be). That's not really "giant" in the context of old growth forests or mountains/hills. They'll probably feel a lot bigger when/if there are urban combat maps.

No, the problem is the artists are trying to FORCE the comparison. They're putting your mechs up against 2-3 tile mountains and saying "see, you're as big as this hill! BIG MECH VERY STOMPY" and it's not really working. It just doesn't seem real you know? Stuff doesn't look that way here in real life. Mountains and hills are BIG, valleys are BIG, robots should be big yeah, but there needs to be something other than random small buildings to compare them too. Right now the terrain seems cluttered and small and the mechs artificially big. If the rivers were a bit bigger, the mountains MUCH larger and seriously in the way, the valleys either small creeks like deserts really have, or just flat out huge then you'd get a more realistic scale and the mechs would feel bigger.

Right now comparing my mech to the mountains and cliffs doesn't work, the mountains/cliffs/plateaus don't look big, they look like big rocks or something, so when a mech stands next to it I don't get the feeling of scale that I should.

Take Mechommander 1 for example. The forests they had were really quite large, and the cliffs were multi tile affairs that required you to either run around them or jump jet over. Terrain features were BIG and the mechs felt to scale inside them.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It can be hard to spot, but when you have your Light selected, there's a blue/teal ring around it that tells you your sensor range. You can use Sensor Lock without getting as close to the enemy as you might think.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Q_res posted:

It can be hard to spot, but when you have your Light selected, there's a blue/teal ring around it that tells you your sensor range. You can use Sensor Lock without getting as close to the enemy as you might think.

This is definitely true and it took me a couple matches to see that ring, with some mechs it's loving HUGE. But you also don't automatically get mech shadows in that ring I think, there's something that has to happen for them to pop up... I just don't know what that is yet.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Really enjoying this. My first game was incredibly hard-fought, the AI is pretty good at punishing mistakes. And it DFA'd me!

Is there a way to select where I want to go when I melee attack? Often I want to melee but would turn my back on the enemy when going directly.

Also, PPCs need to go faster and the little delay between damage and effect is a little offputting. I think there would be more of an impact if the effect comes right when the damage is dealt. Like knockdowns, right now the shots hit, then the mech stands there for a bit and suddenly decides to fall over.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Q_res posted:

Angel of Death - Jump Distance of your Mech is increased by 25% and you take 50% less damage when you execute a Death From Above attack. You also do not gain the Unsteady state after performing a DFA. Definitely the best of the 2nd tier skills, the main downside is that you pay for that increased jump distance with an even more severe heat penalty when you jump.

So what you're saying is that this is the skill for highlander pilots?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

JacksLibido posted:

This is definitely true and it took me a couple matches to see that ring, with some mechs it's loving HUGE. But you also don't automatically get mech shadows in that ring I think, there's something that has to happen for them to pop up... I just don't know what that is yet.

Different mechs show up at different ranges based on the chassis. A Locust has 3 times the sensor range and half the detection signature of an Atlas. Base sensor range is 400, so a bit less than a large laser.
The tactics pilot skill further increases visual spotting range, which starts at 200 I think.

JacksLibido posted:

I THINK I've tried but I'll admit I got (and am) pretty drunk before playing... I might not be seeing ALL of what I should be seeing in the interface. I'm basing a lot of my gameplay requests off of what I think mechommander+xcom+old school battletech board game should be.

It does, and furthermore mousing over the actual weapon will show what factors are influencing the shot.
Things like chassis size:
Mediums have no bonus or penalty, lights get +1, heavies -1, assaults -2

One thing that's making everything a bit deadlier I think is that it looks like there is no penalty to hit at medium range, unless I'm just mis-reading this (If I had to guess, maybe "short range" is melee range, medium range is actual short, then long/maximum is medium/long in traditional TT terms):
"ToHitMinimumRange" : 12,
"ToHitShortRange" : 0,
"ToHitMediumRange" : 0,
"ToHitLongRange" : 6,
"ToHitMaximumRange" : 10,

Being on a higher elevation does give you better chances to hit and less chance to be hit.
Indirect fire has hit penalties

Walking your own mech has no penalty right now, but it could.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Editing this post out because there's a far easier way to do it, found later:

Sky Shadowing posted:

For those who want to create their own MechWarriors (portraits included), there's a far easier way to do so than the guide I posted earlier.

Linked Here.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Commoners posted:

You mean, one of those logistical problems that only crops up for players and nobody else? :v:

JacksLibido posted:

I mean, I know you already disagreed with this post. But it's a good highlight.

I am also curious how practical light gameplay will shake out, once people have actually more than one day under their belt and start considering their value without hinging entirely on their pilot skill.

So far it seems more like it is encouraging the very "Atlas Scouts" mindset everybody keeps getting up in arms about. Particularly with some of the reactions considering the act of trying to scout with a scout mech as some kind of crime deserving of your light mech immediately getting cored by a mean look.

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, what makes Lights matter for this beyond ball busting tonnage limits? Why ever use an Urbanmech if you could fit an appropriate medium with more movement, armor, weaponry, AND the ability to mash :f5: rather than fight most of the match? Sensor locking during the light phase to line up shots for your bigger mechs doesn't seem to matter either. Heavies and assaults will still have to wait until after your meduims go anyways. Plus any potential "Well, maybe smalls have a longer sensor range?" is outweighed by their survivability and firepower by virtue of not being a tinfoil baby.

Stuff like this is why you can't just say "Use sensor lock. That's how lights work". You have to judge the mech category on it's own merits, and give it solid reasons to bring even if you were not tonnage capped over it's peers, regardless of skill picks.

Hopefully given more time, more uses will be realized for light mechs even in the current build. If we're lucky, ones that are just as engaging for the majority of the mission as heavier hardware.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 2, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phrosphor posted:

How did you do this?

Since I never got around to answering this, you just fire up your favorite text editor. All the files you need are in :
(Wherever your steam games are installed) F:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\BattleTech - Private Beta\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data
Make a copy of the folder unless you don't care about re-installing when you want to re-set all your changes

Weapons are in the weapon folder, and the files are very easy to read, like this:
https://pastebin.com/WEDLyn7L

There are a ton of different weapon models in there, but you only want to change the basic one named like Weapon_PPC.json
Values should be pretty self explanatory, and things like tonnage/critical-inventory slots don't matter atm since we have no ingame mechlab or inventory.
Just make changes, save, and start the game and you're good to go.

If you want to really go ham on seeing how you like different styles of combat, along with adjusting weapons look at the CombatGameConstants.json in the constants folder. That has a ton of stuff you can adjust relating to heat, spotting, shooting, everything.
I'm sure some enterprising goons will release their own versions of this file pretty quickly just like we saw in XCOM.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there some kind of combat log in game / is one planned? I feel like a combat log would be awesome for this.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
This beta is awesome! I had to severely outweigh my opponents to win. Will the finished game have adjustable AI difficulty?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Is there some kind of combat log in game / is one planned? I feel like a combat log would be awesome for this.

They mentioned something about doing a combat log before. I think someone asked about video replays, which they said no to, but claimed they'd do a combat log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Section Z posted:

You mean, one of those logistical problems that only crops up for players and nobody else? :v:

Honestly, I with the scale of the inner sphere states and how they are interstellar empires of hundreds of billions of people, I don't think finding another person who can make a vehicle move is a problem.

If you're a murderhobo mercenary in a dropship you may have some recruitment issues.