Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Alright, let's try and hammer out some options then and just get this to a vote, that's usually the simplest way to figure this out

We seem to have a consensus when it comes to our scout, we will use the Windhund as a forward observer, moving ahead of the rest of the battlegroup. We also seem to agree that we'll be calling on the 3rd Fleet as soon as we get any incoming warship signals from Jupiter. As for the rest.

When it comes to the rest of the fleet will we:

A. Approach as a single group so as to have all our firepower in one place should we be detected early.
B. Approach in a staggered formation, the smallest vessels shadowing the Windhund while the larger ships bring up the rear. But keep the larger vessels in one group so as to bring our full firepower to bear on any opposition.
C. Identical to B but we keep the Aygre further back and at low speed so as to have some reserve to pull on should reinforcements reach us before the 3rd Fleet can support us.
or
D. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.
When it comes to our approach phase, after passing through the exercise area will we:

A. Use my dog-legged approach to gain some distance from Jupiter before we make the final approach. Relying on our distance during the second phase to keep our risk of detection low and give us some breathing room should we be detected.
B. Use Fray's "Forthright" approach, counting on the low speed to keep our risks of detection low, and the relatively nearby position of the 3rd Fleet to allow us to continue to our operation should we be detected.
or
C. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.

In addition should we:

A. Keep all our ships at no higher than 3/4 burn speed (or something around there) to hide our maximum capabilities from the IC
or
B. Use our maximum burn speed when appropriate.

We also seem to be agreeing that we should pull no punches should they fail to quit the field, and that we shouldn't make any attempt at communication at all until we are within weapons range but:

A. Should we demand the surrender of the defense fleet once we enter our weapons range, if they have detected us, only opening fire once they respond in the negative and/or or open fire on our fleet.
B. Should we immediately attempt to destroy the defense fleet once we enter weapons range. Demands for surrender only being sent after the initial surprise salvo.
or
C. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.

Feel free to say something if I've misjudged the feelings here and/or I missed something obvious.

As for our sensors it seems that we're pretty well decided that we'll be kicking them into active once we are within range of the enemy fleet/installation, which will put us on the radar for everyone in the solar system. Do we have any misgivings about that? Also how many of our ships will be activating those sensors? Just one? A couple? Everyone who can? I doubt we have to worry too greatly about losing sensor lock for weapons if we should, by some diablous ex machina, lose our main sensor boat, but it could be an issue.

I also think that Pharnakes outline is a pretty good outline of what we should do if any enemy reinforcements arrive at the very least.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

B.
A.
A.
A.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

SlightlyMad posted:

B.
A.
A.
A.

This

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SlightlyMad posted:

B.
A.
A.
A.

:same:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SlightlyMad posted:

B.
A.
A.
A.

Agreed.

I would also add the caveat that upon verification that it is indeed a listening post/military station/other undesirable presence, that we play the good guy and first demand their immediate and peaceful evacuation of the base. And when we refuse, then we blow them up. If they don't refuse, they evacuate and we occupy the base and begin dismantling it for evidence.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Drone posted:

Agreed.

I would also add the caveat that upon verification that it is indeed a listening post/military station/other undesirable presence, that we play the good guy and first demand their immediate and peaceful evacuation of the base. And when we refuse, then we blow them up. If they don't refuse, they evacuate and we occupy the base and begin dismantling it for evidence.

This is a good idea, if there is even a crew or facilities for them to evacuate, but it should be stated that we have marines who will be capturing the base, we won't be destroying anything other than surface to space weaponry if we can help it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Another vote for B A A A. And make me a spaceman, something with big guns.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I still prefer C A A A. I don't see the point of sending in the Agyre to fight to small corvettes, even if they are upgunned. Two destroyers and a cruiser are way more than enough to overwhelm a couple of patrol craft. If we hide the Agyre and our Endurance's are off to the side with the Windhund then they won't see any of our missile capabilites, just our close range laser boats. Since apparently lasers is our gimmick then they would hopefully A send less reinforcements, and B only send reinforcements to counter close range weaponry and then be vulnerable to/surprised by our longer ranged capabilities with our missiles.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Im running the operation somewhat live over in the discord now.

https://discord.gg/hKkwdK6

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016
I have seen the previous LP but couldn't get into it because of how obtuse the game is. I like the presentation here better already.

Make me a carrier captain and when we get one, name it MFN Tigerclaw

Makes me wanna play distant worlds again.

Baron-of-hell fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 2, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

27 Jan, 0456hrs

9 CruDiv prepares to depart for the Asteroid belt at standard 2000kps cruising speed following the dogleg course laid out by Cimbri.

28 Jan, 0511hrs

After almost a day of cruising it reaches the edge of the asteroid belt. Throttling down to 1300kps to reduce its signature it turns solar SE and heads for its second waypoint.

30 Jan, 0441hrs

After two more days of slow cruising an irritable Leutnant-General is woken early as a facility in Luna Orbit points a low power coms laser at the division. No message just a gentle notice that they know they are there. Projections place the emissions below what should be picked up from Earth so the General is forced to surmise they have stumbled over a stealthy Terran ship or observation platform. Not wishing to give away his position to find the interlooper he orders actives to remain off.

1st Feb, 0629hrs

Reaching waypoint three the light section consisting of the four destroyers and FSV WindHund heads towards Tempel 1 at 1500kps while the Cruisers and Troopships lag behind at 1200kps.

1 Feb, 2259hrs

Closing to 130m km of Tempel 1 the light section begins to leave the asteroid belt behind. Still no sign of detection.

2 Feb, 1849hrs

Alerts ring out as a strength 400 thermal emission is detected by the WindHund. After some hurried work it turns out ot be an earth registered prospecting vessel running with its transponder off. It's heading for Ceres and is unlikely to pick up the fleet so is ignored.

3 Feb, 0109hrs

Tension mounts as the light detatchment closes with Tempel 1, a disbelieving General Fray watches as the range ticks down. 40 million... 30 million... 20 million.. Finally at 14.6million km and just after 1am the radio bursts into life as a sleepy and confused sounding IC officer hails the destroyers.

"Martian Navy vessels, we have detected you on approach to restricted space. A 20 million km exclusion zone is in place around the Tempel 1 comet, please acknowledge."

A minute later WindHund picks up an active sensor going live 39m km to solar NW.

Lt-Colonel Flamester responds from the Diehard to the source of the transmission on Tempel 1.

"The Martian navy does not acknowledge any such zone. Under the terms of the of the Luna accords all cometary bodies are declared protected free zones."

It goes on like this for several minutes with both sides getting more and more heated as the light detatchment continues to close at 1200kps.

Finally an exasperated Flamester orders the actives of Diehard and WindHund turned on.

PING! Everyone knows they're here now.

"Sir, we have a Surface to Space installation on the Comets surface!"
his tactical officer reports, "classifying.... it looks like an Exxon beam base, our files report they have them scattered around the Jovian moons and they are predicted to house some sort of laser or particle weapons, no missile tubes as far as we know."

Flamester fires up the com and hails the installation directly "Corporate military installation you are in violation of the Luna accords, we will be pulling alongside to asess the area of Tempel 1 for further violations. Depower your weaponry and active sensors and stand down."

A much more authorative voice than previously responds.

"Martian Navy destroyers, you are in violation of restricted space and are painting us with agressive active emissions. Stand down and divert course or we will be forced to consider you hostile, this is your final warning."

The detatchment continues to close in silence as Flamester and Fray confer, the IC seems unaware of the rest of 9 CruDiv. Finally Fray orders a "demonstration of how serious we are".

"Savlo four, set for airburst at ten thousand kilometers from the comet surface."

Even at 16000kps it takes nearly 15 minutes for the missiles to arrive, Flamester nervously paces the bridge as they crawl over the vast distance.

3 Feb, 0148hrs

"Three hundred kiloton groundburst!" His weapons officer shouts shooting an alarmed look at Flamester.

"Analysis" snaps Flamester.

"Sir, it looks like the salvo was intercepted by some sort of point defence fire when it closed. After one misile was lost the others switched to automatic evasion and seeking and homed in on the PDC. Three were lost to enemy fire but one impacted adjacent the installation."

'Shiiit I hope that's not near the Deep Impact site' thinks Flamester picking up his com and placing a call to Leftnant-General Fray.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 2, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lt-Colonel Flamester is requesting an update from high command about how to proceed.

There is no active lock on whatever is emitting to the NW, likely because the target is small and under the resolution of our sensors.

1: Force use
A: Bring in the cruisers to combat.
B: Bring in one cruiser - specify which.
C: Leave the cruisers in reserve.

2: The PDC
A: Engage with missiles (it has point defences and likely a large amount of armor but probably can't reply with its own missiles.)
B: Soften it up with missiles before engaging at close range.
C: Close and engage with Plasma weaponry.

3: The unknown active
A: Move to engage.
B: Ignore unless it makes hostile moves.
C: Engage after engaging the PDC.

Please vote! Alternative suggestions are also welcome! Fray and Flamester you guys are on point for this op so detailed instruction will be accepted also.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 2, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A
B
C

:allbuttons:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A
C
C B
C

Reason for the second C: missiles haven't worked on this target and may be needed for another, longer-distanced one.

Edit: nm, missiles worked differently than I thought.

Edit 2: Good arguments were made for 1-C

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 2, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A
B - would it be possible to do both at the same time? So the missiles could distract the PDC's lasers away from shooting the DD's?
B

Addendum to the last B: until the PDC is taken care of ignore, afterwards approach and demand identification. Engage if the target turns hostile, ignore if target disengages towards the outer solar system.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Drone posted:

A
B - would it be possible to do both at the same time? So the missiles could distract the PDC's lasers away from shooting the DD's?
B

Yes it could be arranged, however it may have separate guns and fire controls for antimissile work and if it was disabled early by plasma fire any missiles in flight would be wasted.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
A
C
C

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016
Man space combat is scary.

Shouldn't that be Martian Colonial Federation? instead of Martial?

Also

A
B
B

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Baron-of-hell posted:

Shouldn't that be Martian Colonial Federation? instead of Martial?

:suicide:

GunnerJ posted:

Reason for the second C: missiles haven't worked on this target and may be needed for another, longer-distanced one.

Just a quick clarification missiles worked just fine, the issue is that the PDC has some sort of point defence weaponry that shot three of them down. Assuming 3 missiles/salvo is an average performance with both destroyers (4 tubes each) and the cruiser (10 tubes) salvoing together you should be easily able to saturate the point defence.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 2, 2017

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

A
C
C

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

A
B
C

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Here is the link to the spreadsheet I am using for space-dorfing. If you've posted in the thread and I missed it let me know and if you want to get a name for your ship in advance feel free to add it to the sheet in the notes section.

:siren:We have a large amount of distress signals coming on from the civillian installations on Tempel 1. They are screaming for help on every available band but are as of yet unaware of what is happening. It sounds like a major hab-dome was breached and the backups responded poorly (likely due to Corporate cost cutting!):siren:

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 2, 2017

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

1A
2C
3C

Let's end this quickly, secure Tempel, and prepare for the ramifications.

Also, I'd like to name my DD the Raven.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

A
B
C

Don't send the destroyers in close until the bases are pretty well trashed, just about anything they have will outrange our plasmas.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Saros posted:

Just a quick clarification missiles worked just fine, the issue is that the PDC has some sort of point defence weaponry that shot three of them down. Assuming 3 missiles/salvo is an average performance with both destroyers (4 tubes each) and the cruiser (10 tubes) salvoing together you should be easily able to saturate the point defence.

All right, changed my vote to B then.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A
B
C

This game counts casualties in the millions? :getin:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda interesting to me that there are over 200,000 people on a secret comet base.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
B
B
A

Have the destroyers and the Cruiser CG Argyre move in to destroy the military defenses on Tempel 1 meanwhile the other cruisers move off to engage that solitary contact to the north. However, would it be possible Saros to put in a contingency order that if the unknown contact turns out to be either A) too powerful for our cruisers to defeat or B) Civilian or Terran they withhold from engaging but demand why it is in the vicinity?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Kinda interesting to me that there are over 200,000 people on a secret comet base.

It's noted in the briefing that there is a civillian installation on the comet with some minor mining and resupply facilities with the associated population. Also Aurora is a bit weird with casualties in that you get a report of the potential max number but it may not have actually caused that many (the game never actually points this out as far as I know).

sniper4625 posted:

This game counts casualties in the millions? :getin:

These arent even that big or powerful missiles :shrug: you can also optimise warheads for radiation damage and neutron bomb the gently caress out of populations while leaving the infrastructure intact :itisawarcrime: :sherman:

koolkevz666 posted:

Would it be possible Saros to put in a contingency order that if the unknown contact turns out to be either A) too powerful for our cruisers to defeat or B) Civilian or Terran they withhold from engaging but demand why it is in the vicinity?

Of course, I can pretty much do any orders within reason. It's definitely an IC contact, different factions have different signatures in their active emissions and the origin of the emitter can be ID'd from this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Saros posted:

It's noted in the briefing that there is a civillian installation on the comet with some minor mining and resupply facilities with the associated population.

Ah, you're right. Secret or not, though, seems weird for there to be so many people somehow. This isn't a criticism, I just didn't know how the game is modeling this kind of thing. Apparently it's like there's a city there.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 2, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah its gets a bit strange on the small scales, it meant for modelling strikes on populated planets so just substitute whatever numbers make sense in your head.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Having a population anywhere except Earth requires a resource called infrastructure, which can be built with industry. Civilian mining operations don't usually have infrastructure, so this must have been hand-placed.

What happened is that a TN warhead hitting an occupied body will kick up radiation and randomly destroy structures. We randomly destroyed enough Infrastructure to house 200,000 people. How many people actually died depends on a lot of factors. Some or most of them may have fled to other infrastructure, which can sustain being overloaded for a time but will eventually kill off people until it hits its maximum population level.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Of note it seems that as of some update hitting civ mining stations and independent installations like DSTS or ground force training facilities now seems to cause casualties to 'ghost' civillian populations that don't appear on the main summary screen. :iiam:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, did we commit a war crime out of the gate?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god, did we commit a war crime out of the gate?

...Not intentionally?

A
B
C

Also put me in for a ship of some persuasion; not really particular on what it is.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
C
B
A

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cool, another LP of this game. Dorf me please, and make me the captain of a battlecruiser or other capital ship named 'The Fist of Mars'.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
C B C Maintaining tactical as well as operational reserves is important people! Bring in the Ares with her close range firepower, leave the Agyre back, she is not needed for this fight.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm goign to abstain from the current decisions because I have no idea what I'm doing in the hope I can claim ignorance in any war crimes tribunals, but I would like to be space dorfed Squatted space dorfed as the cpatin of a capital ship called the Myeongnyang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I managed to catch the previous LP of this game but I never was able to keep up so I'm glad when one that's a little easier to read has been started.

Also Dorf me captain! Some sort of non combat/support named Oh God, Why!