Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm an old man, so has something changed and pits are now about actually hitting people like an rear end in a top hat, or were people just hamming it up for the video shoot?

I mean, sure, sometimes people got hit, but generally if you were intentionally swinging into people, people shut your poo poo down.

Again I'm old, I haven't been to a show in years even, much less one with a nice active pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

XIII posted:

In non-Christian news, here's a new video from ya boys over in Knocked Loose

Laffo I posted that ten replies above you :haw:

Spotted on twitter:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Laffo I posted that ten replies above you :haw:

Spotted on twitter:

It...it all makes sense now. Everything is coming together.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

xZAOx posted:

I'm an old man, so has something changed and pits are now about actually hitting people like an rear end in a top hat, or were people just hamming it up for the video shoot?

I mean, sure, sometimes people got hit, but generally if you were intentionally swinging into people, people shut your poo poo down.

Again I'm old, I haven't been to a show in years even, much less one with a nice active pit.

My thoughts exactly. I'm a grown rear end man, I'm going to take a fist in my face as consent to the same. Can't imagine thinking it's fun to be in there. This is one of those times I'm happy to be old man shouts at cloud.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 31, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

xZAOx posted:

There are a lot of assholes these days that just swing wildly at/around people. It's the most annoying thing about going to shows.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it's gotten bad lately but I definitely remember people doing flying windmill kicks and pinwheeling their arms at full speed at older shows

At least the "we're in this pit together" mentality is still there - last metal show I was at was After the Burial/Veil of Maya/Born of Osiris and people are still helping people up when they fall and protecting them if they get hurt and such.

Hell, I remember a year or 2 back when I saw Protest the Hero and Intervals, the pit literally came to a full stop in an instant when someone got their glasses knocked off, and didn't start back up until someone found them and gave them back to him.

That kind of poo poo actually gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling :kimchi:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, people went all out, but it was *in* the pit. That video had people purposefully swinging into people in the crowd. Not that it never happened, but it overall was not tolerated.

Good to hear there's still some "help people out" mentality.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Pits that are violent for the sake of being violent annoy me to no end. But I will say that I've never seen a pit that didn't respect "pit etiquette", so I still have hope

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Trip report: Oh Sleeper - Son of the Morning. Listened to the whole record, I get the appeal but they didn't scratch my murder riff itch.

Gideon - Milesteone. Now THATS more like it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Gideon had one come out last month and it's good, has a track that features the vocalist from Knocked Loose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_0g8-flqSc

e: first time I heard this song I totally thought the guest vocals were from Hranica from TDWP, their voices sound incredibly similar

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 1, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Getting upset about "violent" moshpits is a telltale sign that you got into shows through big bands on the internet and didn't earn your stripes going to the smallest, dankest local hardcore shows before you learned about Emmure or August Burns Red on Metal Injection.

Hardcore shows have always had that "swing at/around people" thing going on. Cartwheels, spin kicks, windmill and backhand mosh is so common in hardcore, which is obviously what metalcore branches out from.

Push-pitting is what you see at Lamb of God shows after they stopped being "core" and became "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" and started getting fans of Fear Factory and Sepultura going to their shows.

It's all fine and good, but the two types of mosh definitely don't mix and there's always tension at an Acacia Strain show when they play with some metal band and hardcore kids want to hardcore dance and metal guys just want to push their weight around and neither group understand why the gently caress the other is doing what they're doing.

Skip around in this video of Irate at a small club in Queens, NY I used to go to every weekend in high school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBHSIz8RtU

The entire space is too small for their to *not* be a pit, so everyone hits everyone and it's all understood that it's all in good fun and a release. And maybe you might get your nose broken, but that's the risk you took and still take any time you go to a show. Sure, some people are super aggro and dicks about it, but primarily, everyone's there to have a good time, despite what it looks like.

Also, that's definitely me at that Oceano show.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ShoogaSlim posted:

Getting upset about "violent" moshpits is a telltale sign that you got into shows through big bands on the internet and didn't earn your stripes going to the smallest, dankest local hardcore shows before you learned about Emmure or August Burns Red on Metal Injection.

Your title is well earned.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hardcore dancing is for dipshits and always has been

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
defend karate kicks in the pit one more loving time and I swear to g*d

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
"Thing is ok because Thing has always been A Thing" is the dumbest loving argument jfc

e: for actual content, apparently Unearth's Watchers of Rule had a deluxe edition I had no idea existed, so in case anyone else is in the same boat as me here's two (new to me at least!) bonus tracks, one original and one Slayer cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXf4v8Z5CA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdHWIQO18OE

Not a big fan of Slayer so I don't actually know the original but both of these tracks rip

kumba fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 1, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah Watchers of Rule was/is loving great. It's about time that Unearth debut some new stuff...

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Karate kicking black belt wannabe pits are dumb as gently caress. Always have been, always will be.

Thanks to this thread I've been bumping Oceano for the last week, clutch recommendation.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think I must be the only core fan on earth that cannot stand the Oceano style of deathcore, that poo poo does absolutely nothing for me

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

kumba posted:

I think I must be the only core fan on earth that cannot stand the Oceano style of deathcore, that poo poo does absolutely nothing for me

Not challenging your right to that opinion, but just out of interest, what sort of deathcore do you like? Or what elements of their sound do you find particularly off-putting? I would say they are more or less straight ahead deathcore. I don't really know what you mean by "their style of" here.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The Rings of Saturn / Born of Osiris / Conducting from the Grave / etc style of deathcore is very, very far removed from Acacia Strain / Oceano

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

So low growls then? If progressive technical deathcore is more your thing, don't miss Ęthere's last release, Adrift.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's partially the vocals, but really TAS & Oceano seem like their songs are written solely as breakdown delivery systems, whereas the others have songs that are actually interesting the whole way through, if that makes sense?

I'll have to check out Aethere, not familiar with them!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

Getting upset about "violent" moshpits is a telltale sign that you got into shows through big bands on the internet and didn't earn your stripes going to the smallest, dankest local hardcore shows before you learned about Emmure or August Burns Red on Metal Injection

It's interesting that I agree with pretty much your whole post yet the first paragraph alone makes me want to disregard everything you say. Nobody has to earn their stripes dude. We're listening to angry music primarily made for literal children, let's all clam the gently caress down.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I love that Shooga posts here because I would never get a window into the brain of this kind of person otherwise

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
New Eighteen Visions album is up on Spotify/YouTube/etc. Straight up AOTY material.

This gives me some serious Alice In Chains vibes which is unexpected but awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Gqt3TvlbY

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

New Obey the Brave and SikTh tapes out today as well. Halfway through OTB it seems pretty radical. SikTh is next.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

We're famous, boys.

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/870373694861955076

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Reaaaaaally dig the new OTB. On Thin Ice is such a banger opening song, that riff tho. Also really like Low Key, 97 Again, Drama, On Our Own. Title track kills also.

Getting into the 18V and it's solid too. gently caress today is sweet.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wamsutta posted:

Reaaaaaally dig the new OTB. On Thin Ice is such a banger opening song, that riff tho. Also really like Low Key, 97 Again, Drama, On Our Own. Title track kills also.

Getting into the 18V and it's solid too. gently caress today is sweet.

OTB, SikTh, and 18V all in one day is almost too good to be true

Also new Rings of Saturn single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmu3zjmkJZ0

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

This gives me some serious Alice In Chains vibes which is unexpected but awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Gqt3TvlbY

Heh, totally getting the AiC vibe. Don't really care for the track though.

kumba posted:

kumba posted:

It's partially the vocals, but really TAS & Oceano seem like their songs are written solely as breakdown delivery systems, whereas the others have songs that are actually interesting the whole way through, if that makes sense?

Nah, not just you. I don't mind listening to the "how can we fill time until the next breakdown" bands, but it's not stuff I'll pay for, if that makes sense.

To be honest though, I don't think I listen to much that qualifies as deathcore in the first place. More into the metalcore, technical metal, whatever poo poo like Locust, Daughters, and Sawtooth Grin are.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I could be biased but I don't lump TAS and Oceano in together. TAS has a lot more variety in sound and discernable vox/lyrics. Oceano is definitely just a breakdown injection to the veins. I don't dislike Oceano but I don't go out of my way to play specific songs by them; it's all just Oceano.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The other thing about TAS is the lyrics, and I know lyrics are generally dumb in metal but TAS is a special kind of stupid and he doesn't actually growl hard enough to be unintelligible. Dumb poo poo like Aversions Crown I'm fine with because I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress that guy is saying without looking up lyrics, but with TAS I can actually discern the words he's saying and it's cringeworthy

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Nah, not just you. I don't mind listening to the "how can we fill time until the next breakdown" bands, but it's not stuff I'll pay for, if that makes sense.

To be honest though, I don't think I listen to much that qualifies as deathcore in the first place. More into the metalcore, technical metal, whatever poo poo like Locust, Daughters, and Sawtooth Grin are.

Agreed. I can generally deal with a breakdown-factory deathcore song here or there if they show up in shuffle or are playing at a friend's house, but it's nothing I would go out of my way to listen to. Even TAS bores me after a few tracks.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

Also new Rings of Saturn single:

Oh my. That is a very good song right there. The riff at 3:01 murders

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

New SikTh album is totally and completely rad, it's great that they're putting out poo poo this good and fresh sounding after what, 15 years?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

kumba posted:

The other thing about TAS is the lyrics, and I know lyrics are generally dumb in metal but TAS is a special kind of stupid and he doesn't actually growl hard enough to be unintelligible. Dumb poo poo like Aversions Crown I'm fine with because I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress that guy is saying without looking up lyrics, but with TAS I can actually discern the words he's saying and it's cringeworthy

Yeah. TAS lyrics took a big poo poo post Continent. They were great up through that record, ok on Wormwood and got worse from there. Vincent suddenly insisted every word of every song had to rhyme and it got very bad very fast. Not sure why he made that change.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That and the general brocore "I'm gonna fight you, look how macho I am!! gently caress YOU IN THE EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" shtick gets old very, very quickly

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hardcore shows have always had that "swing at/around people" thing going on. Cartwheels, spin kicks, windmill and backhand mosh is so common in hardcore, which is obviously what metalcore branches out from.

Push-pitting is what you see at Lamb of God shows after they stopped being "core" and became "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" and started getting fans of Fear Factory and Sepultura going to their shows.

It's all fine and good, but the two types of mosh definitely don't mix and there's always tension at an Acacia Strain show when they play with some metal band and hardcore kids want to hardcore dance and metal guys just want to push their weight around and neither group understand why the gently caress the other is doing what they're doing.

Skip around in this video of Irate at a small club in Queens, NY I used to go to every weekend in high school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBHSIz8RtU

The entire space is too small for their to *not* be a pit, so everyone hits everyone and it's all understood that it's all in good fun and a release. And maybe you might get your nose broken, but that's the risk you took and still take any time you go to a show. Sure, some people are super aggro and dicks about it, but primarily, everyone's there to have a good time, despite what it looks like.

Also, that's definitely me at that Oceano show.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Today is stacked. New '68 was released too and also rules. Only sorta -core-y but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nOic5O6qvE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Today is stacked. New '68 was released too and also rules. Only sorta -core-y but whatever

Yeah, the new '68 and Mutoid Man albums out today are the ones I'm most excited about, but neither one quite fits in here