Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Eliza has divekicks, reppuken, double reppuken, and shoryukens now that's what I call Tekken.

The sample combos in the character training mode, are they worth learning or are they complete bupkis?

Also in that, I see how much of the training mode wants me to use touchpad, is there even a point using stick in training mode or will I frustrate myself.

*ed*

ahha ps4 controller light flashes when you get a counter hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

The dpad for the PS4 is so terrible dropping moves and hurts the thumb after a while.

Also rename the thread to the connection to the opponent is lost.

PS4 dpad is great for fighting games, just need to build some muscle memory. Sore thumbs is an universal pad issue though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Eliza has divekicks, reppuken, double reppuken, and shoryukens now that's what I call Tekken.

The sample combos in the character training mode, are they worth learning or are they complete bupkis?

Also in that, I see how much of the training mode wants me to use touchpad, is there even a point using stick in training mode or will I frustrate myself.

*ed*

ahha ps4 controller light flashes when you get a counter hit.

How do I access the Character Training mode

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

In Training posted:

How do I access the Character Training mode

its just regular training mode sorry if I misnamed it. Just going through their moves and poo poo.

*ed*

Just offline, practice. Character move lists near the end have example combos.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

game owns

also yeah you can go into training and pull up a little display that shows their moves at the top and you can go through the movelist without having to constantly pull the menu up. you can also have the game demonstrate how the combo or move should look

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
1 2 3 4 5 6 oooh yeah 1 6

someone please help me I hated Lucky Chloe but now I kinda wanna learn how to play her???

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
So deleting my preload and downloading this again worked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I almost feel like I should pop Tekken Tag 2 in to use it's tutorial because I need to brush up on my fundamentals and it's so weird the game doesn't have one itself.

Other than that game's real fun, though I guess story mode was less robust than I heard. Customisation is going to take up a lot of my time I can already tell. I spent like 30 mins with just the basic stuff you have at the beginning trying to make a couple of costumes for the characters i'm interested in. Of which there's a lot because most of the characters look pretty cool. I'm glad to be playing a new Tekken guys.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

this is the first fighting game ive bought in a decade and my fist tekken since tag tournament 1.

im doing very poorly

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Bryan still best at cheeseing CPU opponents for getting Treasure Battle Wins

I did 35 wins in a row until i had to stop because I have work shortly/My wrist has exploded

[cackles cyborg-zombily]

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm beating a lot of CPUs but basically all I'm doing is hopkick - combo - hopkick - combo and I think I might be picking up some bad habits here :thunk:

I guess the learning begins when everything starts kicking my rear end

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Had a quick go for an hour last night after the game became available, is arcade mode endless or is it a "ladder" mode, I'm guessing the latter since I got Heihachi followed by Akuma, called it a night when I couldn't get past him with Ling.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Anime_Otaku posted:

Had a quick go for an hour last night after the game became available, is arcade mode endless or is it a "ladder" mode, I'm guessing the latter since I got Heihachi followed by Akuma, called it a night when I couldn't get past him with Ling.

Arcade mode is a standard Arcade mode, I think there's 5 stages then you fight Kazumi. If you want an endless mode then Treasure Battle is for you

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/ This is probably worth posting again to get people going with characters.

The training/info for new players is really lacking alright, but for competitive players it's a pretty great release. Online double elimination tournaments? Sign me up.

The music is amazing in this game, goddamn.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spuckuk posted:

The training/info for new players is really lacking alright

Hopefully the game'll be popular enough that in the coming days/weeks we'll get more beginner-friendly material :3: I know there are character guides and stuff in the making, at least.

Speaking of character guides and useful moves; one thing I really want is a list of some easy combos. The in-game move list ones vary from "pretty good" to "what the hell" and trying to figure out my own combos, while fun, is also a big task for a complete beginner. It sucks not knowing what to do when the enemy is in the air, and having even just some really basic combos would help a lot.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a way to make the dummy take one hit and then guard for the rest of the string, like in other training modes?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Is there a way to make the dummy take one hit and then guard for the rest of the string, like in other training modes?

Setting the dummy to guard all worked for me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think they want the dummy to take the first hit and then go into block mode, so you can test to see if combo strings are actually combos and work on timing or whatever.

I'd like to know this too if it's not obvious, didn't get much time to gently caress around in the lab. Probably gonna main Shaheen or pick Bryan up again since my mains (Lei, Dr. B) aren't in the game lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So on the note of character content, there are some people putting out things for some characters!

Josie_bot on Twitter puts out a ton of good content regarding, well, playing Josie. They actually just released a solid video on learning the basics of Josie the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSPAq4IWSNI

I saw some pretty great info on King out there as well. Kind of baffling that they didn't include tutorials and stuff, but drat the game feels so fun to play it makes up for it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I think they want the dummy to take the first hit and then go into block mode, so you can test to see if combo strings are actually combos and work on timing or whatever.

I'd like to know this too if it's not obvious, didn't get much time to gently caress around in the lab. Probably gonna main Shaheen or pick Bryan up again since my mains (Lei, Dr. B) aren't in the game lol

I can't remember the setting names for the life of me, but changing the second dummy variable to "block all" made the dummy eat the first hit and following hits on true combos but blocked staggered strings when I hopped into practice for 15 mins before work.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Was not expecting to hear Isaac Albeniz' Asturias in this game. What a pleasant surprise.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I figured it out, if you set CPU action 2 to something, it will do that action after the first hit or block. So action 1 stand, action 2 guard all is what I was looking for. It seems like a pretty good training mode.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Eliza is actually not half bad, I smiled when I realised she had an EX dragon punch :allears:

Her vamp bikini costume is rather silly though.. hopefully it's a distraction online, I need all the help I can get.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you ever want to feel better about yourself, go into treasure mode an unlock some stuff. The AI barely puts up a fight.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Coming from a SF background Tekken is completely impossible to me in every conceivable way

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Goodpart posted:

Coming from a SF background Tekken is completely impossible to me in every conceivable way
That's weird because personally Tekken feels more like Street Fighters of old (e.g. Alpha/Zero 3). I've never been able to gel with the current series where you are punished if you don't do inputs in precise time windows, e.g. combos that only work with disjointed button presses, and where dragon punches have next to no invulnerability. Tekken is a breath of fresh air in that respect.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Goodpart posted:

Each limb is a button. That's it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

its just regular training mode sorry if I misnamed it. Just going through their moves and poo poo.

*ed*

Just offline, practice. Character move lists near the end have example combos.

Babe Magnet posted:

game owns

also yeah you can go into training and pull up a little display that shows their moves at the top and you can go through the movelist without having to constantly pull the menu up. you can also have the game demonstrate how the combo or move should look

Thank you so much! I'm going to play this for 18 hours today probably, and mess around with a lot of stuff.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm a SC boy so I am just playing Miguel and spamming B4 pretending it's Mitsurugi's 4B. Fun game so far!

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
PS4 matching doesn't seem to be working and I don't feel like joining a public lobby since I want to play lol

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Phoix posted:

I'm a SC boy so I am just playing Miguel and spamming B4 pretending it's Mitsurugi's 4B. Fun game so far!

I can parse both notations just fine, but it's rather ironic that these two games that are direct cousins use completely opposite move.notations

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

:v:

I'm talking more... I can't create space, I can't defend properly, not being able to see the physical space I'm creating with sidesteps makes it hard to know why I'm being hit, and most of the time I just feel like I'm brawling. No rhyme or reason to anything that I do, and it doesn't feel like there's any from my opponent either.

Not saying this is the game's problem; I've watched Saints and JDCR have amazing sets literally three feet away from me, but I just... profoundly suck at this?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pretty much like said there's some missing things that kinda are absurd for a 2017 fighting game developed for years by a major player, but god drat this game is good when you're actually playing the thing.

NRS spoiled me with things like multiverse and character specific tutorials and all, any game lacking similar things will feel weaker, but this is a very well made game when it comes to, ya know, actual fighting.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Files found in the PC version seem t indicate Tekken Bowl is coming later for the game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting a tutorial video series with the intent of helping out players who are like me and come from more of a 2d background. Hopefully some of you guys find this helpful, more vids coming tonight + over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3axLJCUOI

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Pretty much like said there's some missing things that kinda are absurd for a 2017 fighting game developed for years by a major player, but god drat this game is good when you're actually playing the thing.

NRS spoiled me with things like multiverse and character specific tutorials and all, any game lacking similar things will feel weaker, but this is a very well made game when it comes to, ya know, actual fighting.
As good as Tekken's mechanics are, and I do think they save it from a certain level of criticism, is there any excuse for the complete lack of content elsewhere in the game? It's not as if Namco haven't had an age to work on the game. The absence of such basic stuff is conspicuous in a full price game imo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

inthesto posted:

If you ever want to feel better about yourself, go into treasure mode an unlock some stuff. The AI barely puts up a fight.

Does it eventually get harder or is that tied to a rank thing?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah Tekken's fighting always made the most sent to me. At the basic level the four face button are tied to various limbs and just about ALL of the attacks are different combinations of those buttons matched with directions that indicate how the player's body moves during those attacks. If you press both punch buttons and forward it's almost always some sort of lunging attack. Both punch buttons and back is usual some kind of charge. Besides getting into advance strategies it's super easy to just experiment with different combinations and directions and see how a character moves and fights.

Speaking of which, what the hell is up with Gigas? I've heard nothing about him and he seems like a cross between Jack, Marduk, and Slipknot but really loving boring.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Had fun getting my poo poo pushed in. Online is great on PC.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 2, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of which, what the hell is up with Gigas? I've heard nothing about him and he seems like a cross between Jack, Marduk, and Slipknot but really loving boring.

Bronson's got you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7_wqdsVJQ&t=195s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Goodpart posted:

:v:

I'm talking more... I can't create space, I can't defend properly, not being able to see the physical space I'm creating with sidesteps makes it hard to know why I'm being hit, and most of the time I just feel like I'm brawling. No rhyme or reason to anything that I do, and it doesn't feel like there's any from my opponent either.

Not saying this is the game's problem; I've watched Saints and JDCR have amazing sets literally three feet away from me, but I just... profoundly suck at this?

This is a game where guides are essential, otherwise you're going to spend months playing while you're missing central concepts.