Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShowTime posted:

Uhhh this is basically one of the worst things i've ever read of someone doing in Gwent. You should never mill cards, because there will not be another reset and who knows how long or how much scrap it's gonna take you to get it all back. You also used it to build into arguably the worst faction at the moment. So you have a pretty tough uphill battle ahead of you. NR is gonna get tuned for the better but it who knows how long it's gonna take.

For now look into Henselt Reavers. Go to GwentDB.com and look for those decks and just build towards what you can with what you have.

Oh I know about henselt reavers! And I knew what I was getting into with milling all those cards. When I play card games I typically try to pick an "theme" and go for it rather than trying to optimize completely. I don't like how monsters/scoi'tel look/play but I do like NR, Nilfgaard, and Vikings! I was just wondering if NR siege/machines had some powerful combo I was missing out on rather than just redeploying things over and over to damage the enemy. Iv also had some luck with making reinforce trebuchetes and Prince Machineguy resilient.

Megazver posted:

Yeaaah. I'd maybe make a fresh account and not do that again.

I don't have any interesting in playing Monsters/Scoi'tel though? Like back when I played MtG people called me crazy for sticking to a one color white deck but it's what I had fun with and I didn't like the other factions themes :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

ShowTime posted:

Uhhh this is basically one of the worst things i've ever read of someone doing in Gwent. You should never mill cards, because there will not be another reset and who knows how long or how much scrap it's gonna take you to get it all back. You also used it to build into arguably the worst faction at the moment. So you have a pretty tough uphill battle ahead of you. NR is gonna get tuned for the better but it who knows how long it's gonna take.

For now look into Henselt Reavers. Go to GwentDB.com and look for those decks and just build towards what you can with what you have.

I consciously milled all my Monsters cards because gently caress Monsters, I dislike their mechanics and for some dumb reason I also dislike the idea of playing as the monsters. I intend to build decks for all the factions eventually except that one. I'll get plenty of fun and variety out of four factions and if I'm never going to play that one then :shrug:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Venom Snake posted:

I just started playing and milled my monsters/elf/dwarf decks (because gently caress monsters and gently caress scoi'tel) to build a NR siege deck. Iv been readying everywere that NR is kinda underpowered and that playing with the lowest amount of cards is the best; but I can't actually get a machine deck to make sense with basically no cards

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Am I really the first person to post ITT that just doesn't care about playing The Most Optimal Faction? I just don't like red and green guys yeesh

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Am I really the first person to post ITT that just doesn't care about playing The Most Optimal Faction? I just don't like red and green guys yeesh

They making fun of you for milling cards to make the worst deck of the worst faction of the game. The optimal faction is the black guys, not the green or red guys.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
No I thought the same thing when I started playing. Then I got bored of that faction and went to the next faction, and then the next faction and so on. I now have a deck for every faction because variety is the spice of life. This game is very small card wise and while you might be able to stick to one faction later on, right now you really can't before you get a little burnt out. Sometimes that deck you are playing is just getting poo poo on by the meta or gets nerfed to hell and having options will prevent you from being forced to play a lovely deck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, they're all fun, for different reasons.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I pulled Morkvarg. Is there A deck I can make that utilizes him with about 1600 scraps? I don't think I have many other power silvers/golds for Skellige.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electronico6 posted:

They making fun of you for milling cards to make the worst deck of the worst faction of the game. The optimal faction is the black guys, not the green or red guys.

welp :(

I just like foltest and siege weapons.

ShowTime posted:

No I thought the same thing when I started playing. Then I got bored of that faction and went to the next faction, and then the next faction and so on. I now have a deck for every faction because variety is the spice of life. This game is very small card wise and while you might be able to stick to one faction later on, right now you really can't before you get a little burnt out. Sometimes that deck you are playing is just getting poo poo on by the meta or gets nerfed to hell and having options will prevent you from being forced to play a lovely deck.

Well of course thats why I didn't mill any Nilfgaard or Skellige cards because I want to try both of those factions in the future.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the best part of that horrifying post is that milfgaard has the best thematic siege game going right now, in two flavours.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

welp :(

I just like foltest and siege weapons.

Foltest is cool, but Henselt is the machine guy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Might try swapping Mangonels out of my deck for the Fire Scorps, they don't require as much set up or feel as dead in the late game I think.

This game is so good.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

:discourse:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Might try swapping Mangonels out of my deck for the Fire Scorps, they don't require as much set up or feel as dead in the late game I think.

This game is so good.

I found them still lacking, unwanted in the late game, and they waste your reveals on your own hand. A game where you just focus on revealing your opponents hand gives you better results in the end than just getting ahead by 3 points.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Normal Adult Human posted:

the best part of that horrifying post is that milfgaard has the best thematic siege game going right now, in two flavours.

Iv played against it more than once and I kinda agree. But deploying medics to shuffle the cows back into my deck is always funny. I'm sorry my post was horrifying!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Medic shuffling cows is hilarious. Doing it with Pavetta is even funnier.

Though I bitch a lot game is really fun right now. Last night I found that Dijkstra and avallach makes reaver hunters weird and fun, and Dijkstra has some peculiar interactions.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i want avallach as a nilf counter, in which they mill themselves to 0 cards and then you play avlalach

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Wave posted:

Medic shuffling cows is hilarious. Doing it with Pavetta is even funnier.

Though I bitch a lot game is really fun right now. Last night I found that Dijkstra and avallach makes reaver hunters weird and fun, and Dijkstra has some peculiar interactions.

I got into a medic shuffling/reaver scout/emissary chain (like deploying emissarys I had shuffled into my deck) playing against a Nilf player. I play with around 33~ cards and I summoned almost every bronze unit in my deck by the end.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BabyRyoga posted:

I pulled Morkvarg. Is there A deck I can make that utilizes him with about 1600 scraps? I don't think I have many other power silvers/golds for Skellige.

He pairs REAL well with Wild Boar of the Sea, which would take about half of your scraps. Put Brokvar Hunters in. You pull out Mork with Crach an Craite, put Wild Boar down to buff him, put another card to the right of Wild Boar to get damaged by it, and Brokvar Hunter next to that to get buffed by the card taking damage. Have three priestesses for rezzing your super hunter(s) in rounds 2/3.

Throw in some savage bears to completely neuter vico medics and enemy priestesses and some shieldsmiths for extra strength buffing and you've got a deck. Add in some Mardoeme's for resetting super-boosted cards and bloodcurdling roar for making bears out of your 1 strength units or clearing cow carcasses. Cleaver for unlock/lock or Donar if you have him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i want avallach as a nilf counter, in which they mill themselves to 0 cards and then you play avlalach
This actually might work, especially in something like Skellige. Maybe I'll actually play Skellige for once.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jokes on you, cause they milled you first by playing their own avalach twice.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

I found them still lacking, unwanted in the late game, and they waste your reveals on your own hand. A game where you just focus on revealing your opponents hand gives you better results in the end than just getting ahead by 3 points.
Did you opt to go for the Mangos? or neither? I'm trying a few games with the Scorps now to see how it goes.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wicked Them Beats posted:

He pairs REAL well with Wild Boar of the Sea, which would take about half of your scraps. Put Brokvar Hunters in. You pull out Mork with Crach an Craite, put Wild Boar down to buff him, put another card to the right of Wild Boar to get damaged by it, and Brokvar Hunter next to that to get buffed by the card taking damage. Have three priestesses for rezzing your super hunter(s) in rounds 2/3.

Throw in some savage bears to completely neuter vico medics and enemy priestesses and some shieldsmiths for extra strength buffing and you've got a deck. Add in some Mardoeme's for resetting super-boosted cards and bloodcurdling roar for making bears out of your 1 strength units or clearing cow carcasses. Cleaver for unlock/lock or Donar if you have him.

It looks like i'm lacking most of the lesser cards to make this deck unfortunately, no bears or hunters. I really wish they would reduce the cost of crafting non-silver and gold cards, it seems like a waste.

Seems like if I want a competitive deck, i'll need to mill stock stuff, not sure if I want to do that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Keg time!

Woodland Spirit, Saskia or Rainfarn?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BabyRyoga posted:

It looks like i'm lacking most of the lesser cards to make this deck unfortunately, no bears or hunters. I really wish they would reduce the cost of crafting non-silver and gold cards, it seems like a waste.

Seems like if I want a competitive deck, i'll need to mill stock stuff, not sure if I want to do that.

Mork works in any skellige deck, really. He's a great card regardless of whether or not you get strong synergy going. Just throw together what you have and add in the stronger cards as you find/craft them.

The good news is that there aren't a ton of cards yet so it won't take too long to grind up a decent stable of cards. I don't recommend milling down your other factions unless you know for sure you won't want to play them in the future.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Megazver posted:

Keg time!

Woodland Spirit, Saskia or Rainfarn?

Without knowing what other golds and silver you have and what the factions you like, Saskia seems the best choice, as she fits any ST deck. But so does Woodland Spirit to be honest. Rainfarn at first may look the poorest of the three, but he is a key card in NG OP deck.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Mork works in any skellige deck, really. He's a great card regardless of whether or not you get strong synergy going. Just throw together what you have and add in the stronger cards as you find/craft them.

The good news is that there aren't a ton of cards yet so it won't take too long to grind up a decent stable of cards. I don't recommend milling down your other factions unless you know for sure you won't want to play them in the future.

I think i'm gonna mill down northern realms to nothing, and try to get my scraps up to 3k. Maybe mill off Dagon and some other less useful leaders as well.

edit: Maybe I should mill scotia'tel as well? I know the control decks are dominating the upper level of play right now, but doesn't seem like my style.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 2, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

BabyRyoga posted:

I think i'm gonna mill down northern realms to nothing, and try to get my scraps up to 3k. Maybe mill off Dagon and some other less useful leaders as well.

edit: Maybe I should mill scotia'tel as well? I know the control decks are dominating the upper level of play right now, but doesn't seem like my style.

I think new players are overestimating the "absolutely need all the cards" part and underestimating the "git gud" part. No offense obviously. You can tech hard against the meta and still have a very good chance until rank 15 or so. Spoiler: you won't have an 80% winrate vs players that bought 100s of kegs but you will still climb and not lose massive, massive value milling entire factions with a patch coming.

This is a terrible idea in HS too by the way!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i milled everything for a crazy weird scoiatael deck but im having fun and i still have 1000 scraps and (almost) enough cards for the other factions at this point

it wasnt north realms though !!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kawabata posted:

I think new players are overestimating the "absolutely need all the cards" part and underestimating the "git gud" part. No offense obviously. You can tech hard against the meta and still have a very good chance until rank 15 or so. Spoiler: you won't have an 80% winrate vs players that bought 100s of kegs but you will still climb and not lose massive, massive value milling entire factions with a patch coming.

This is a terrible idea in HS too by the way!

I mean, I've been playing starter monsters + a Ciri card I pulled in one of my first kegs since the beginning, and I still have roughly 60% overall winrate thus far. I'm at the point where my goal would be to construct a very strong competitive deck, and move up with that deck while constructing another very strong competitive deck of a different faction.

I just don't like NR so I milled it completely except for premiums. Even if it was OP as poo poo, I wouldn't play it. I don't think I will mill ST even though I don't see myself playing it any time soon. I'm sick of monsters with weather, but i'd like to try consume if I can pull some cards for it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah it's a beta and we don't know what the meta will be next week or next month or next year, so tossing all of those cards that you don't want now will suck if the next patch makes them cards you want.

Just make whatever deck and accept the fact that you'll run into a few whales with a fully stacked deck they bought. And enjoy when you beat them with your scrub-tier deck because they have no idea how to play

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Up Circle posted:

i milled everything for a crazy weird scoiatael deck but im having fun and i still have 1000 scraps and (almost) enough cards for the other factions at this point

it wasnt north realms though !!

... or you can do that if you're determined to play a certain deck (and that deck only for the foreseeable future) exactly the way you imagine it. Whatever rocks your boat.

And it wasn't NR, so there's that! :)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I've known since CB I'll never play or like Monsters, so I mill all their golds and silvers immediately (bronzes too much effort for too little scraps)

No rs

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is playing anti-gimmick viable in this game? To me the only really appealing thing is playing to gently caress with what the other player wants, running gimmicks and praying to the RNG gods isn't really fun IMO.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is anti-gimmick just a normal deck?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

gently caress gimmicks, run 25 blank bronze minions every day

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Did you opt to go for the Mangos? or neither? I'm trying a few games with the Scorps now to see how it goes.

I tried both and neither. Reveal is really lacking in that department. I think Scorpion are the better of the two.

I also experimented a little with spies and they do not work, you'll draw everything wrong. I'm thinking of trying weather next. Running RNR, Drought and Vattier(or Cahir)/Leo, in golds, maybe Skellige Storm in a silver, and a couple of bronze weathers.

No Mods No Masters posted:

gently caress gimmicks, run 25 blank bronze minions every day

But there's no blank units in the game!

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 2, 2017

nerox
May 20, 2001
If you are like me and never played any of the witcher games except for Gwent, they are all heavily discounted on Steam right now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

nerox posted:

If you are like me and never played any of the witcher games except for Gwent, they are all heavily discounted on Steam right now.

Don't buy Witcher 1, it's really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just play Witcher 3. The Season Pass is super-worth it. If you really love it, play Witcher 2. Don't bother with 1.