Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

:stonk:
What a psycho.

https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/s...%26autosize%3D1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think a good rule of thumb is if you're getting pissed at truck drivers you're probably a bad driver considering that's what they do for a living. I mean everyone makes mistakes even truckers, but if this is a consistent problem Hawk is probably a terrible driver.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Truckers are good.

Sometimes they sit in the passing lane but rarely

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

I'm retracting and saying now the cubs.

Holy poo poo they were a mess .

They gave Zambrano a $90MM extension during a season where he ended up leading the league in most walks allowed following a season where he led the league in most walks allowed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

They have to be the worst run major market team in the modern era.

Come on. The Phillies play in a division with Wilpon and Loria

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dex will be getting his ring today:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870688683996860416

I love the sign in the last photo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dex with the subtle "W" on his shoes, I feel like a certain Twitter feed is going to be a gold mine this afternoon.

Maybe he'll decide to just stay here?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Dex with the subtle "W" on his shoes, I feel like a certain Twitter feed is going to be a gold mine this afternoon.

Which one, so we all know what to watch for.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Which one, so we all know what to watch for.

#BestFansStLouis

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Pretty sure it says something down the tongue of his shoe, but not sure what. There is a T at the top and an S at the bottom, or that's what it looks like.

E: lol its TWO3, jordans number. Not a Cubs W. :D

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Everything is always about the Cubs though so Fly The W

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mike_V posted:

Everything is always about the Cubs though so Fly The W

the jordan is flying, followed by T W

the math checks out

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's clearly just plausible deniability on Dex part, he strategically put the laces over the other letters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the worst modern run baseball team was the Pittsburgh Pirates from 94 until recently. I don't think there's ever been a worse GM in baseball history than Dave Littlefield, especially after that rule 5 fiasco.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

seiferguy posted:

I think the worst modern run baseball team was the Pittsburgh Pirates from 94 until recently. I don't think there's ever been a worse GM in baseball history than Dave Littlefield, especially after that rule 5 fiasco.

I'm sad, because there was a period where the Brewers made the Pirates their bitch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

I don't know how bad of a GM he would have been with proper support but I'll put Allard Baird up against him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Dex will be getting his ring today:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870688683996860416

I love the sign in the last photo.

:unsmith:

He's gonna hit a lead-off homer, and I won't even be mad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know how bad of a GM he would have been with proper support but I'll put Allard Baird up against him.

If you want to look at a GM who got support in the same time frame as Littlefield, look at Bill Bavasi. First GM ever to lose 100 games with a $100m payroll. Fucker ruined the farm system in the process too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I always wonder if the J. P. Ricciardi led Blue Jays would have made the playoffs at least a few times if they weren't in the AL East. Not only did they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox, but he also caught the beginning of the Rays' run at the end of his tenure in Toronto.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Blackmon is on pace for a whole lot of triples :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rule V thing was unbelievable

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

They gave Zambrano a $90MM extension during a season where he ended up leading the league in most walks allowed following a season where he led the league in most walks allowed.

Every now and again Hendry would pull off an amazing trade (although Maddux for Izturis, :wtc:), but, my God, when he decided to open up the checkbook, he did it in the most mind-boggling ways possible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Derreck Lee for Hee Seop Choi lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Derreck Lee for Hee Seop Choi lol

Jose Hernandez and Bobby Hill for Kenny Lofton and Aramis Ramirez.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of painful trades, Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen for 3 months of utterly dominant Randy Johnson BUT no playoff wins and he left immediately :negative:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the Tigers guy who sent his entire farm system away for aging broken Juan Gonzalez and then offered to pay him far and away the most of any player in the league, which Juan declined, which was as funny as the trade itself.

In related news is there any other player who you thought was absolutely amazing when you were a kid but then turns out kind of sucked more than Juan Gonzalez?

edit: This is a great read

"The Tigers will move walls for Gonzalez, which is what they told
him they will do with the one in leftfield at Comerica Park,
where the power alley is 398 feet from home plate. "It's too
big," Gonzalez says. "I've already hit a lot of balls that would
be easy home runs in lots of other parks. They told me the
fences are coming in next year."

He must not be interested in a big-screen TV because another one
has yet to appear in the clubhouse. But the Tigers are perfectly
willing to make Gonzalez the highest-paid player in the game by
a margin of more than 25% over what the Dodgers are paying
righthander Kevin Brown, who is getting $15 million per year.
Detroit offered Gonzalez $151.5 million over eight years shortly
after the Nov. 2 trade with Texas, according to a source
familiar with the proposal."

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 2, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Speaking of painful trades, Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen for 3 months of utterly dominant Randy Johnson BUT no playoff wins and he left immediately :negative:

Wouldn't that have been Carlos Guillen?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Is the reason they posted an otherwise unremarkable shot of Dex's Jordans really because they thought it was a Cubs W? Jesus.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

I always wonder if the J. P. Ricciardi led Blue Jays would have made the playoffs at least a few times if they weren't in the AL East. Not only did they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox, but he also caught the beginning of the Rays' run at the end of his tenure in Toronto.

Do you have to wonder? Can't you just look at record and then figure that the jays probably would have won even more games if they were playing a division other than the thresher that was the 2000s al east

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Wouldn't that have been Carlos Guillen?

Yeah you're right I mixed up my Guillens

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
using this extremely scientific methodology, the 2008 blue jays might have made the playoffs (in a division title berth) if they were in the AL central and won 4 more games, which they probably would have done.

edit: but maybe not as they beat up on the orioles a lot that year

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Walrus posted:

using this extremely scientific methodology, the 2008 blue jays might have made the playoffs (in a division title berth) if they were in the AL central and won 4 more games, which they probably would have done.

edit: but maybe not as they beat up on the orioles a lot that year

Wasn't that during the time when the Orioles had their two-headed GM experiment going on? Like, they had both Mike Flanagan and someone else -- Beattie, maybe? -- calling the shots, and both of them hated each other?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels signed Gary Matthews Jr. to a massive contract, and then traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells, and then signed Josh Hamilton to a massive contract. This was 3 different GMs doing this poo poo, but likely all ordered by Scioscia/Moreno. The Angels have had to spend their way out of making lovely decisions for the last decade, if they didn't have the money that they do they'd be just as inept as the Pirates.

I think they thought that Dexter's shoes had a W flag shoutout on them. Thats Cubs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Good Dog posted:

The Angels signed Gary Matthews Jr. to a massive contract, and then traded Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells, and then signed Josh Hamilton to a massive contract. This was 3 different GMs doing this poo poo, but likely all ordered by Scioscia/Moreno. The Angels have had to spend their way out of making lovely decisions for the last decade, if they didn't have the money that they do they'd be just as inept as the Pirates.

The way the Angels tried to get out of Hamilton's contract was loving disgusting.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

lmao i totally forgot about 1998 playoff randy johnson, i'm so glad he got a ring.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
no, nobody here actually thought he was shouting out the symbol of his old team's victory, don't be idiotic. it's a blue W in almost exactly the same font and made for a good photo.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

no, nobody here actually thought he was shouting out the symbol of his old team's victory, don't be idiotic. it's a blue W in almost exactly the same font and made for a good photo.

people absolutely thought that though, lol

Sydin posted:

:unsmith:

He's gonna hit a lead-off homer, and I won't even be mad.

also lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

people absolutely thought that though, lol

also lol

by 'here' I mean the front office, not SAS or twitter

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

by 'here' I mean the front office, not SAS or twitter

Ahhhhhhh I forgot you work there. Yea, I would hope not, haha. Good way to troll the twitter feed though, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

lmao i totally forgot about 1998 playoff randy johnson, i'm so glad he got a ring.

Without looking it up iirc he got zero runs in support in his two starts. gently caress Kevin Brown

e: I was wrong he had one run each game

• Locked thread