Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

anthonypants posted:

Exchange Server is not a prerequisite for Azure AD Connect.

yeah that first sentence is meant to read 'as long as your Exchange users are dirsynced from on-prem', but you get what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

Actually, in order to get everything to work correctly, I had to setup an Exchange 2016 server first ...an important detail I failed to mention.

Which is important, because they will give you a free license to deploy on site.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

yeah that first sentence is meant to read 'as long as your Exchange users are dirsynced from on-prem', but you get what I mean

But that's not really true either. You can do a cutover migration, and THEN implement dirsync, without Exchange on prem.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

But that's not really true either. You can do a cutover migration, and THEN implement dirsync, without Exchange on prem.

While you could, as far as I'm aware you'd lose the ability to edit Exchange properties of users in Exchange online since the on-prem AD becomes the source of authority for them after AADconnecting/dirsyncing. Then you'd either need that exchange server or ADSI edit. to change even simple things like email addresses. You'd need to run the first part of the Exchange setup every 3 months anyway because potentially every CU can extend your schema. Those CUs are the only source of the schema updates you need to keep your on-prem AD compatible with Exchange Online.

I don't think there exists a supported configuration of dir/aadsynced exchange online users without an on-prem Exchange server.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We get by without an on-prem Exchange server, there are some Exchange attributes you can change from ADUC, like msExchHideFromAddressLists. The AD schema might not be extended to include those attributes if you've never had an Exchange server in your environment at all, though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

anthonypants posted:

We get by without an on-prem Exchange server, there are some Exchange attributes you can change from ADUC, like msExchHideFromAddressLists. The AD schema might not be extended to include those attributes if you've never had an Exchange server in your environment at all, though.

Same, we do this but had Exchange on-prem briefly.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Old Binsby posted:

While you could, as far as I'm aware you'd lose the ability to edit Exchange properties of users in Exchange online since the on-prem AD becomes the source of authority for them after AADconnecting/dirsyncing. Then you'd either need that exchange server or ADSI edit. to change even simple things like email addresses. You'd need to run the first part of the Exchange setup every 3 months anyway because potentially every CU can extend your schema. Those CUs are the only source of the schema updates you need to keep your on-prem AD compatible with Exchange Online.

I don't think there exists a supported configuration of dir/aadsynced exchange online users without an on-prem Exchange server.

The transition from On Prem to O365 was WAY easier when everyone was already dirsynced. You eliminate having to then synchronize Azure AD after the fact and then matching AD accounts with Azure AD accounts.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Huh, I had no idea that this was done very much at all. If this thread can attract two examples within an hour I'll have to adjust that view. Using 3rd party user management tools to edit AD might also make skipping the hybrid server more feasible?

Anyway, I guess I'm a little predisposed to not do anything strictly described as unsupported in documentation. Most places I work for have MS support contracts that make following their guidelines non-optional. Though I wouldn't skimp on this particular subject regardless, the minimal hybrid install is so minimal it isn't worth the hassle imo.

E. ^^^^ definitely. I'm not advocating doing it the other way around, just commenting on whether it eliminated the need for a hybrid server

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 18, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I've never done an o365 implementation in AD when there wasn't an Exchange server in place pre migration. In almost every case I did cutover migration, then aadconnect, then decom exchange. proxyaddress and other exchange attributes can be changed in ADUC.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

I've never done an o365 implementation in AD when there wasn't an Exchange server in place pre migration. In almost every case I did cutover migration, then aadconnect, then decom exchange. proxyaddress and other exchange attributes can be changed in ADUC.

It really depends on the environment for the order you do things. If you are on Exchange 2013 or newer, I would definitely go for hybrid with remote migration.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

anthonypants posted:

This is officially a non supported configuration per Microsoft. They don't want you manually editing those Exchange attributes. I've never seen them actually enforce that and they are aware that it's dumb, but here we are.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have a TechNet article re: that being unsupported? Would help me out when I come up against resistance.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you have a TechNet article re: that being unsupported? Would help me out when I come up against resistance.
The Exchange Team blog mentions it and here is the TechNet page (ctrl+f ADSIEDIT for the relevant bit)

e. fixed broken link

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 18, 2017

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002

I've only ever managed single server exchange setups before, so I'm new to the Federation stuff.

I set up Bank1's exchange server back in 2010, and they wanted to share it with Bank2. Back then they didn't want to do a trust directly between bank1 and bank2, so I set up an Exchange Resource Forest and created a one-way trust between each bank's domain. Since then they've added a 2-way trust between the two client domains. I'm not super comfortable with the Exchange Resource Forest (Exchange running on a DC, no other DCs), and there's some talk of the two banks ending this arrangement at some point, so I figured I'd want Bank1's exchange server to be on their internal domain.

Where I'm a bit stumped is how to do the migration. I'm assuming I have to get the old and new exchange servers trusting each other, but even if I do that, can I migrate the mailboxes, or will I have to export PSTs and create new accounts? Users will still be using the same domain accounts to authenticate, but bank1 users would have exchange on their bank1.local domain accounts rather than linked mailboxes. There are about 60 users total, more than half are on the bank1 domain.

Anyone have any advice on this type of migration? Should I just keep the Exchange Resource Forest to make this easier, or am I setting myself up for disaster running exchange like that?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Depending on the scale, running Exchange on a DC is a disaster in and of itself. However you're not complaining and for small scale operations it can be feasible so I won't harp about best practices again, haha

Provided the two exchange servers are in two domains with a mutual trust (or even a one way in the right direction), migrating does not need .pst exports. You can configure them so that moving a mailbox feels rather similar moving them between databases, in exhange 13 with the new-moverequest or new-migrationbatch cmdlets. I'm on mobile right now but it's pretty decently documented on technet. If no one else does I'll expand later

E. Eh this meeting I'm in isn't going anywhere so I got you that link. This is the high level description of what you want to do, it should get you in the right direction. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150543(v=exchg.150).aspx

A trust isn't even strictly necessary, it's been a while since I last did an on-prem to on-prem migration so I stand corrected there. Actually I just finished one but that was ~9TB of .psts - there were very specific reasons for that and I hope you never ever run into those. Unless you're moving <30 mailboxes using the built-in migration tools has many advantages, including queueing and better error handling. Also, it's good practice for an online move if the banking industry ever learns to deal with fear of the cloud :cthulhu:

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 23, 2017

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have a few issues that are most likely only Exchange-adjacent, but despite me being an infrastructure admin have fallen to me anyway, that I can't seem to find anything on. Wondering if anyone here has seen either of these:

Exchange 2010, most using Outlook 2010

1) There is 1 calendar (that I know of*) that doesn't really seem to like Outlook 2016. It's on a shared mailbox. The calendar is basically used to keep track of on-call and vacations of a team. With Office 2010, the calendar works fine. On 2016, when trying to add an appointment to the calendar, the error message "The operation failed." comes up, and that's it. The appointment isn't created. No further info given anywhere. The event viewer has this entry for each time it happens:
Microsoft Outlook
The operation failed.
P1: 300032
P2: 16.0.8067.2115
P3:
P4: 0x80030070

No search I could come up with even mentions having this problem. I've seen a few that say the "New Appointment" button is grayed out, but that seems to be a permissions issue. Safe mode doesn't help, new profile doesn't help.

*nobody uses 2016 on PCs here, they're just testing it now. I use it personally, and the calendars I use have no issues. I have seen the same problem with this specific calendar though after trying it out.

2) I have a user that has never seen (or claims to have never seen, at least) the dialog that pops up when you add/remove someone from the meeting attendees list. The dialog that asks if you want to send the update to just the people changed or everyone. So, every change she makes just goes to everyone, even if she only added/removed 1 person. She would like to have the dialog so she can send the update to just the changed people.

As far as I can tell, this isn't even a setting anywhere, it's just how Outlook works. I have no clue on this one either.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

First one sounds like a corruption of the address cache in outlook but if this issue persists across multiple clients I'd suspect Exchange. Easiest to move that mailbox between databases before trying anything else. Or run repair-mailbox against it but that's more effort if it's a small mailbox. Moving fixes some forms of corruption though mailbox store corruptions are becoming exceedingly rare in exchange these days. This guy has a similar issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cad29f8f-e2ee-4976-9e54-981c51f4827e/outlook-mail-send-issue?forum=officeitproprevious
(Sending an email is very very similar to creating an appointment for exchange)

Second issue: maybe this? Doesn't sound familiar.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...leted-attendees

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Moving it seems to have worked, at least for me. I've asked the user to try it also (but I doubt that's happening before Monday), thanks!!

The other thing, I dunno. I'm kinda hoping to just ignore it and have it not come up anymore. I can't see how it would be an Exchange issue.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
People with On-Prem exchange. Do you manually (scripted or manually) clean up some of the logging folders in your system? Have you had issues with bloated log and performance files?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

rotaryfun posted:

People with On-Prem exchange. Do you manually (scripted or manually) clean up some of the logging folders in your system? Have you had issues with bloated log and performance files?

I've had issues with IIS logging taking up too much space on 2010 CAS servers. Once we started using splunk to capture those logs I started deleting anything over a couple days old with a scheduled task.

On 2016 there's quite a bit of logging data that can bloat the exchange install directory, similarly I've made a s scheduled task to remove anything older than a week or so.

Here's what my scheduled task is running in 2016
code:
Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned
$days=7
$IISLogPath="C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\"
$ExchangeLoggingPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging\"
$ETLLoggingPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Diagnostics\ETLTraces\"
$ETLLoggingPath2="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Diagnostics\Logs"
Function CleanLogfiles($TargetFolder)
{
    if (Test-Path $TargetFolder) {
        $Now = Get-Date
        $LastWrite = $Now.AddDays(-$days)
        $Files = Get-ChildItem $TargetFolder -Include *.log,*.blg, *.etl, *.txt -Recurse | Where {$_.LastWriteTime -le "$LastWrite"}
        foreach ($File in $Files)
            {Write-Host "Deleting file $File" -ForegroundColor "white"; Remove-Item $File -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | out-null}
       }
Else {
    Write-Host "The folder $TargetFolder doesn't exist! Check the folder path!" -ForegroundColor "white"
    }
}
CleanLogfiles($IISLogPath)
CleanLogfiles($ExchangeLoggingPath)
CleanLogfiles($ETLLoggingPath)
CleanLogfiles($ETLLoggingPath2)

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Yeah you definitely need some form of log management because of IIS alone and Exchange can be a bit verbose as well. Your especially need to be mindful of disk space if you've got the message queue logs and database in the default directory on a mailbox server ( ExchangeInstalldir/transportroles/data/queue I think) since low disk space will cause the server to to delay or drop incoming messages due to backpressure at a disk space utilization of 90% and it won't restart full operation until you've brought it down to <80% again. Yeah 90% is really high but it happens and I think it is below the default critical value in SCOM and PRTG

Some people symlink the Logging directory to a different drive, which is kind of ugly and doesn't catch all logs anyway. All exchange services have a .config xml file that you can use to change the default log locations, but that's also error prone since I believe those files can get overwritten during CU installations. Better to just something like the script above. There's also a registry entry to change the number ETLs that are kept for trace logging, those files in particular are quite large so I always turn it down some at the very least if disk drive space is plentiful enough to leave the rest be. In Exchange 2016: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\16.0\Search\Diagnostics\Tracing

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Will Styles posted:

Here's what my scheduled task is running in 2016
code:
Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned
$days=7
$IISLogPath="C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\"
$ExchangeLoggingPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Logging\"
$ETLLoggingPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Diagnostics\ETLTraces\"
$ETLLoggingPath2="C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Diagnostics\Logs"
Function CleanLogfiles($TargetFolder)
{
    if (Test-Path $TargetFolder) {
        $Now = Get-Date
        $LastWrite = $Now.AddDays(-$days)
        $Files = Get-ChildItem $TargetFolder -Include *.log,*.blg, *.etl, *.txt -Recurse | Where {$_.LastWriteTime -le "$LastWrite"}
        foreach ($File in $Files)
            {Write-Host "Deleting file $File" -ForegroundColor "white"; Remove-Item $File -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | out-null}
       }
Else {
    Write-Host "The folder $TargetFolder doesn't exist! Check the folder path!" -ForegroundColor "white"
    }
}
CleanLogfiles($IISLogPath)
CleanLogfiles($ExchangeLoggingPath)
CleanLogfiles($ETLLoggingPath)
CleanLogfiles($ETLLoggingPath2)

Would this run on 2012r2 server with exchange 2010?

Also, I have a dag observation server that is being decommissioned. Anyone know of any documentation to migrate that task to another server?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think you need to put Set-Executionpolicy RemoteSigned inside of your script like that

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

and your log files should definitely not be on the C drive like that

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

rotaryfun posted:

Would this run on 2012r2 server with exchange 2010?

Also, I have a dag observation server that is being decommissioned. Anyone know of any documentation to migrate that task to another server?

It would probably run but the paths are for exchange 2013. You can easily check with treesize or something like that where your biggest folders are (that only contain .Log files and that aren't your database transaction logs), put those in there. For starters though, moving inetpub cause it tends to grow huge and the message queue database for safety off of C:\ entirely (both to separate disks) is an easy way to go. I don't remember whether exchange 10 does the same amount of trace logging by default, you can also curtail that with the regkey above.

e.

About moving a file share witness (FSW) if that's what you mean: unless you assign another Exchange server that is not a DAG member for the DAG you're witnessing, you need to
1) grant the Exchange Trusted Subsystem security group local admin rights on the new server
2) use Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -WitnessServer [ServerFQDN] -Witnessdirectory [C:\whatever\FSW] -Identity [DAG]
to tell the DAG where the new witness server is. That's it. It creates the folder, share, permissions etc automatically that way. If you are moving the witness to another Exchange server (for example a CAS server without databases) you can skip step 1. I believe this is preferred, but these days a lot of people run multirole installations which prevent doing things this way.

Windows firewall needs to be open to file- and printer sharing on the new witness server for this to work. The new server can't be a DAG member that hosts mailboxes, but you can do crosswise FSW (ie DAG1 hosts the witness for DAG2 and vice versa). A single server can be witness to multiple DAGs as well, just keep separate folders for each DAG. Some of the other requirements are being in the same AD forest and not using a DFS-fileshare for the FSW folder location. The documentation for this is reasonably complete, so here is where I'd start looking.

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 9, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I feel like I asked this already but I can't find.

Current env: Exchange 2010 hybrid w Exchange Online; Exchange 2016 is also on prem.

Goal: decom Exch 2010.

here is my task list

1 Move all remaining prem mailboxes to ex2016
2 Move roles (client access I think is the only one)
3 Set external and internal DNS for mail, autodiscover etc to point to ex2016
4 Re-run hybrid configuration wizard on ex2016
5 Turn off ex2010
6 Thoughts and prayers
7 Decom ex2010

Is #4 as easy as re-running the wizard?

Anything else I need to do?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh hey I'm doing exactly that right now, with the added twist of implementing proofpoint for all inbound and outbound traffic. All I have to do at this point is change the two dns aliases used for internal SMTP relay to point to the hybrid 2016 server, then start uninstalling exchange 2010 immediately.

It's been a lot of work to get to this point, unraveling the architecture they hadn't decommissioned, cleaning up on-prem mailboxes, etc..

E: and yeah, just re-run the wizard, make sure your dns/spf/certs/nat are all in a row and you'll be fine. I ran it this morning to move relay from o365 to onprem from 2010 to the 2016 cas. Give it two hours for chances to propagate in o365.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Oh hey I'm doing exactly that right now, with the added twist of implementing proofpoint for all inbound and outbound traffic. All I have to do at this point is change the two dns aliases used for internal SMTP relay to point to the hybrid 2016 server, then start uninstalling exchange 2010 immediately.

It's been a lot of work to get to this point, unraveling the architecture they hadn't decommissioned, cleaning up on-prem mailboxes, etc..

E: and yeah, just re-run the wizard, make sure your dns/spf/certs/nat are all in a row and you'll be fine. I ran it this morning to move relay from o365 to onprem from 2010 to the 2016 cas.

good stuff. We're doing mimecast rather than proofpoint but it's already in place. so should just be dns change.

We had pretty negative experiences with proofpoint, I suspect growing-pains-(on their end)-related

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Out of your plan I'd skip step 6 because unless your thoughts and prayers go out to those fallen while taming it, Ex10 is bad and should be forgotten. I'd add 'double-doublecheck the coexistence with legacy exchange' if you're not already coexistent successfully. There's page on technet or this blog. It's so easy to forget a minor detail and gently caress up all your client connections, I've seen it happen twice the past months and with a lot of people breathing down your neck looking up/setting all those urls etc correctly loving suuuuuucks .

Also: just run the HCW once a week for the heck of it. It's easy, fast and sometimes it does a world of good :)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm missing something here in my "it was supposed to be so easy" replace on prem 2010 with 2016. I did the whole thing with the HCW and all that, and mail isn't flowing right. I can send from prem out, and form outside to prem and to 365, but can't send from 365 to prem or from 365 to the internet.

I got it down to the receive connector on 2016 server. on the default frontend receive connector, if I add 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 as allowed IP range, everything works great. When I remove it, it breaks again.

I added all the o365 here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-365-URLs-and-IP-address-ranges-8548a211-3fe7-47cb-abb1-355ea5aa88a2 (and btw why didn't HCW add all of these during setup, I thought that was part of what it did)

I also added an external IP for another server I have, and tried telnetting in w port 25 -- no go. And that works of course when 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 is allowed.

So what's going on?

edit: I ended up having to roll back all my changes to restore mail flow. :qq:

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 18, 2017

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

In case anyone has the same problem: KB3203467 (from June 13) for Outlook apparently causes Attachments with multiple dots to be blocked. In my case it was an attachment named "KP Herr PD Dr. N..pdf". Maybe it saves some of you a couple minutes searching the web for the issue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone seen this behavior before? A user sets themselves up with an out of office response, and is sent a meeting request. They then spam everyone else on that meeting request with forwarded copies of the same meeting request. I found this KB article, and both of the users are on an iPhone. They're each not sure if he accepted the meeting from their phones or not. I'm also on an iPhone, and I've definitely accepted meeting requests, but I haven't been out of office while doing so.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We had the out of office / iOS issue occur just last week. We had to log into office 365 admin center and remove their device because it was for a company All Hands meeting and it was spamming the poo poo out of everyone.

We recommend the Outlook app and tell them we will publicly shame them if their iPhone causes issues.

gently caress Apple. It's been an issue for YEARS.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ranter posted:

We had the out of office / iOS issue occur just last week. We had to log into office 365 admin center and remove their device because it was for a company All Hands meeting and it was spamming the poo poo out of everyone.

We recommend the Outlook app and tell them we will publicly shame them if their iPhone causes issues.

Oh gently caress, that's going to own when that happens to us.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sonofabitch, that's been happening to us as well. Not my problem to solve, but I can bring up the KB article and be a hero.

I'd be using the outlook app but our MobileIron configuration blocks anything but iOS mail if you are byod. :rolleyes:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

hazzlebarth posted:

In case anyone has the same problem: KB3203467 (from June 13) for Outlook apparently causes Attachments with multiple dots to be blocked. In my case it was an attachment named "KP Herr PD Dr. N..pdf". Maybe it saves some of you a couple minutes searching the web for the issue.

Saw that pop up on the patchlist. Basically it's to stop people from opening .pdf.vbs. Educate the user, don't block the update if you can avoid it.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

anthonypants posted:

Oh gently caress, that's going to own when that happens to us.

It was doubly fun because she had it set up on her iPad as well.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

incoherent posted:

Saw that pop up on the patchlist. Basically it's to stop people from opening .pdf.vbs. Educate the user, don't block the update if you can avoid it.

I work in a hospital, the user in this case is a professor with a PhD. There's no chance in hell that this guy takes computer advice from me (or anyone for that matter). "It always worked, I've always done it this way, stop being unhelpful.".

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Ranter posted:

I'm kind of surprised I've never come across this issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I'm kind of surprised I've never come across this issue
I'm going to assume it started just last week, but various iOS incompatibilities with Exchange have been pretty consistent.