Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

RatHat posted:

Don't buy Witcher 1, it's really really bad.

this right here is a bad post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
if you dont play witcher 1 at least once youre not a real witcher and you should e banned from gwent

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Up Circle posted:

if you dont play witcher 1 at least once youre not a real witcher

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

It's not quite THAT bad, it's about as bad as Two Worlds 1. And way less optimized. And barely anything relevant to the next two games happens so I suggest just reading a summary of the plot on Wikipedia.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I got about 5ish hours into Witcher 2 and 3 before quitting, don't like the combat system at all. I guess I'll have to go back at some point to learn who the hell most of the named cards in Gwent are.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Double Bill posted:

I got about 5ish hours into Witcher 2 and 3 before quitting, don't like the combat system at all. I guess I'll have to go back at some point to learn who the hell most of the named cards in Gwent are.

I played The Witcher 3 but only got maybe halfway through it, but fell in love with Gwent there. Then I got into the Gwent beta and became hooked and started noticing all the card mechanics that were similar to their in-game lore. So I went back and played The Witcher 3, beat it and really enjoyed it. Now I get to look at many of the characters and see why they do the things they do. My favorite is definitely Morkvarg.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Morkvarg suffers for your T1 deck.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Gwent made me reinstall TW3 as I'd not played any of the DLC and man going from the standalone Gwent to the in-game version is a real shock.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think we are only gonna see more of that with the Gwent singleplayer and the possibility that Gwent is just going to be The Witcher 4. One of the things i'm really looking forward to with Gwent.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

I think we are only gonna see more of that with the Gwent singleplayer and the possibility that Gwent is just going to be The Witcher 4. One of the things i'm really looking forward to with Gwent.

CDPR also has an unrevealed project they're working on iirc, as big as or bigger than Witcher 3.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kawabata posted:

CDPR also has an unrevealed project they're working on iirc, as big as or bigger than Witcher 3.

That isn't Cyberpunk 2077? Cyberpunk 2077 is their next big game they said they were working on and what they said they would shelf The Witcher for.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My understanding is that they don't like working on multiple large projects, so the only big thing they should have in the pipeline is Cyberpunk, to be released who the gently caress knows when.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electronico6 posted:

Jokes on you, cause they milled you first by playing their own avalach twice.

sounds like emergent reasons to have a larger deck, friend.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
witcher 1 and 2 are loss leaders for gwent and they gave them away for free

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

noob at gwent here: is it just me or swim's monster starter deck punches really way above its apparent weight?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I have a Premium Avallac'h, is there any serious deck that uses him? I hated him in Witcher 3 and could use some excuse to dust this legendary

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShowTime posted:

the witcher 4 is going to star Ciri with mechanics in the vein of SUPERHOT

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
starring ciri but all her sync-kills are ripped from arkham citys catwoman animations

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

frajaq posted:

I have a Premium Avallac'h, is there any serious deck that uses him? I hated him in Witcher 3 and could use some excuse to dust this legendary

He can really gently caress over decks like Spy Nilfgaard or Queensguard by drawing the cards they wanted to pull for "free".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Avallach is one of the most fun legendaries in the game and if you ever built your own decks you'd know that. Bitch.

He is however a lame w3 character and the only good thing about him was the hilarious scene with his girlfriend.

It's also crazy to think that oldvallach was an autoinclude and newvallach is niche when it implying that we value the downside of giving your opponent a single extra card at > 18 gold str.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 2, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd rather have an Uma card.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Like this is what I'm playing right now as using the Reveal with Morvran. Since I managed to open Stefan in a pack I put him in instead of Avallac'h so I for sure get certain cards like Ragh Nar Roog. But maybe since the deck is still kinda poo poo I should just use Avallac'h and possibly gently caress up other decks draw plans like RatHat said?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is Cahir really worth it with Morvran?

I also wouldn't be able to help myself and would put 3x impera enforcer in any deck with Stefan. It's too much fun even if it's not that good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh poo poo, I got a choice, Tibor or Ciri: Dash, what do?

Tibor is nuts and manly and I mainly play Nilfgaard and want to learn ST, is Ciri still ar eward?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ciri Dash only works in very specific decks while Tibor is in pretty much every Nilfgaard deck.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I went for Tibor, then my next pack has either Cantarella or Malena.

Cantarella looks way better. Maybe? I don't know!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 2, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No Wave posted:

Sometimes I want to get value from my Fire Scorpions AND cycle the Daerlan Foot Soldiers.

Also it's fun revealing the enemy hand :v:

What would I replace him with?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I also wouldn't be able to help myself and would put 3x impera enforcer in any deck with Stefan. It's too much fun even if it's not that good.

Reveal's golds are probably the trickiest choice I seen so far, up and including the ones that should be auto-includes like Leo and Vattier. Cahir can be very useful as he represents 3 extra power for the Spotters, but can also smooth out your reveals. With Daerlan and Scorpions your likely to use Morvran on your hand, and this might come as a surprise, but knowing your opponents hand is real loving good. Reveal hopes to bleed out a R1 and clinch a third round with fatty Spotters, and Reveal doesn't have very good clear control package like Spell'tel has, so knowing how to conserve your techs becomes super important. There's also that Reveal mulligan is real tricky, and that if you just have 1 or two daerlan on your hand, they can draw into another or into scorpions and now you you just have what 1 alchemist in hand. Frajaq list only runs in total 5 reveals without Cahir.

So you need Vattier and/or Cahir to increase your reveal power. But repeating Morvran isn't as good as Emyhr and Calviet so it doesn't feel like you're getting ahead like those two.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I went for Tibor, then my next pack has either Cantarella or Malena.

Cantarella looks way better. Maybe? I don't know!

Cantarella for sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Probably just vilg or Tibor or Vattier but the post above seems to know more what he's talking about. If you don't own them Cahir's fine, buffs your spotters by 3 each and does fire scorpion stuff I've just felt over-revealed before and I personally put a huge premium on golds being good r3 (ciri being the only exception).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Auckes to unlock a cow carcass is the coin mountain giant of gwent, right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Auckes is such a versatile card.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

No Wave posted:

Auckes to unlock a cow carcass is the coin mountain giant of gwent, right?

Honestly there are about 20 times more ways to gently caress yourself in this game than HS. That has got to be one of the least bad ways to gently caress up. At least it removes one strength from their board.

Self scorching or unintentionally opening yourself to a scorch blowout feels much worse.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
ive burned myself so many times that whenever i use scorch i have a fleeting moment of panic when the card plays and i hear the sound and i frantically quadruple check my side of the boards numbers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should color code the borders or otherwise indicate which non-gold card(s) is highest and lowest on the board at all times.

I means it not hard to check at a glance most of the time but it would be a big QOL improvement.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just started this game yesterday and I'm addicted as gently caress.

I will say the Nilfgaard starter deck having two emissaries and no cards that trigger off of them is a poor design decision. I was utterly flabbergasted by the terribleness of that card until I played against somebody that had spy trigger cards.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

guys what are the odds of not drawing ciri ever 4 matches in a row in a loving 25 cards deck holy loving hosed virgin mary of god

this is important

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you're relying on drawing her then you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kawabata posted:

guys what are the odds of not drawing ciri ever 4 matches in a row in a loving 25 cards deck holy loving hosed virgin mary of god

this is important

this is why the cool decks run thinners: can't miss gold cards if you play every card in your deck