Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Without looking it up iirc he got zero runs in support in his two starts. gently caress Kevin Brown

e: I was wrong he had one run each game

1 run in game 4. 1.93 ERA, 14IP, 11 K/9, and he was 0-2. Astros Randy Johnson owned. He took 7th in the cy young that year with 84 innings pitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

gently caress Kevin Brown

Huh, looking him up I'd completely forgotten that Kevin Brown was legitimately really damned good his last year he was with the Dodgers. He was even serviceable his first year with the Yankees.

In my memory he died somewhere around 2000/2001 and was never worth anything the rest of his career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, looking him up I'd completely forgotten that Kevin Brown was legitimately really damned good his last year he was with the Dodgers. He was even serviceable his first year with the Yankees.

In my memory he died somewhere around 2000/2001 and was never worth anything the rest of his career.

Kevin Brown signed the first $100 million contract, didn't he?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Kevin Brown was legitimately great for like 7 straight years in the heart of the steroid era.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs will be in first in the NL Central by the time June ends BOOK IT. :colbert:

Good start. :cool:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Even now I fear playing the Rangers in Arlington. Let's see how this goes

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I covered games featuring a school that Brown was assisting at a few years ago. His son was playing, but wasn't considered a prospect.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Timby posted:

The way the Angels tried to get out of Hamilton's contract was loving disgusting.

This is absolutely true

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Even now I fear playing the Rangers in Arlington. Let's see how this goes

Spoilers: We lose

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tadashi posted:

They gave Zambrano a $90MM extension during a season where he ended up leading the league in most walks allowed following a season where he led the league in most walks allowed.

Worth every penny.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol, I remember when Kevin Malone signed Kevin Brown to that contract, and predicted he'd start Game 1 of the World Series against the Yankees. The Dodgers were starting to get a lot of poo poo back then for not having any playoff success in the previous 10 years. That was almost 20 years ago 😳

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Spoilers: We lose

Rain delay of execution

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Lol, I remember when Kevin Malone signed Kevin Brown to that contract, and predicted he'd start Game 1 of the World Series against the Yankees. The Dodgers were starting to get a lot of poo poo back then for not having any playoff success in the previous 10 years. That was almost 20 years ago 😳
Yeah but at that point they had won literally ONE postseason game since 1988

edit: nevermind, they hadn't won any. The Jose Lima game was in 2004

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

That 2003 team was so frustrating. They only allowed 556 runs (best in the majors by nearly 100 runs) but only scored 574, worst in the majors, and 17 less than the Tigers who lost 119 games.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why do you say this?

I'm sure he will actually win another but he just seems to always get robbed if there's anyone putting up anything resembling competitive numbers (2012, 2013, 2015), and now this year he is absolutely dominant but gets struck with an injury which will almost certainly ruin his chances.

Looking back on the numbers he's put up for his career so far it's really mind blowing how loving good he is. Shame he plays for the Angels lol

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
So what do you think? Phillies hit 20 wins O/U 6/12/17 (12:01am)? They're getting blown up by the worst offense in the league right now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

canadianclassic posted:

I'm sure he will actually win another but he just seems to always get robbed if there's anyone putting up anything resembling competitive numbers (2012, 2013, 2015), and now this year he is absolutely dominant but gets struck with an injury which will almost certainly ruin his chances.

Looking back on the numbers he's put up for his career so far it's really mind blowing how loving good he is. Shame he plays for the Angels lol
he could miss 2 months and still lead the league in WAR when it's all said and done

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870764633413505024

This is good Professional Sports Team Social Media Content

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Jason Vargas just CGSO'd the Indians and I've never been more alive. The Royals aren't out of this yet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870764633413505024

This is good Professional Sports Team Social Media Content
best part is that Dex retweeted it

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

best part is that Dex retweeted it

I like Dex a lot and his trolling of the toxic BFiB crowd makes him even better. I really wish there were some charity event in Chicago where I could donate a lot of money and just hang out and talk poo poo with Dex or Waino for, like, three hours.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Justin Smoak has more RBIs than strikeouts. 37-35.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Kershaw and Nelson both pitch beautiful games, only giving up 1 run combined between the two. Crew lose though, but strike out 26 in the process. Dodgers fan 16. Highest combined strikeouts in any NL game.

V: I don't know what to make of this squad

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Walrus posted:

:toot:

He's having a great season so far

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

iospace posted:

N: Kershaw and Nelson both pitch beautiful games, only giving up 1 run combined between the two. Crew lose though, but strike out 26 in the process. Dodgers fan 16. Highest combined strikeouts in any NL game.

V: I don't know what to make of this squad

Other way around - Brewers got struck out 26 times and struck out 16 Dodgers.

Which means the Dodgers set the NL record and tie the Angels' MLB strikeout record, if Baseball Almanac is accurate.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 3, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm in OKC and went to the OKC Dodgers' AAA game tonight. The Dodgers' starter, Wilmer Font, pitched really well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dont be mean to me posted:

Other way around - Brewers got struck out 26 times and struck out 16 Dodgers.

Which means the Dodgers set the NL record and tie the Angels' MLB strikeout record, if Baseball Almanac is accurate.

Blame me being tired and BA and Rock being sort of ambiguous.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Some Numbers posted:

I'm in OKC and went to the OKC Dodgers' AAA game tonight. The Dodgers' starter, Wilmer Font, pitched really well.

As a flyball pitcher, it can be tough to make sure those Arial balls don't land for hits. Good for him.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The Walrus posted:

well i'll be damned

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

astros y'all

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What a time to be an Astros fan

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

What a time to be an Astros fan

Watching Cleveland and Houston for twenty years has conditioned me to expect failure at any moment, no matter how well they're playing. Still, it's a loving blast watching them right now and I've got tickets for the 9th so :woop:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Going into todays games Rickie Weeks was top-five in 3TO rate among players with 100+ PAs

because he has 46 strikeouts in 104 PAs lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Please return Rickie Weeks, Jr. to wherever he came from.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

John Wilkes Booth posted:

As a flyball pitcher, it can be tough to make sure those Arial balls don't land for hits. Good for him.

He had a ton of strikeouts, including the first four outs he recorded.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Gorman posted:

well i'll be damned

yeah it's a pretty cool stat. if he can keep this up it's more than 100 rbis and almost 40 hrs for 4 million. please dont send this man to the all star game we dont need him breaking like saunders.

in other news devin travis is adorable

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/870820384228220931

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

N: Pringles is launching ketchup chips so Brett Lawrie is hosting an event in downtown Toronto in which a bunch of Canadians are going down a slip n slide covered in ketchup to set a world record.

V:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That is disgusting.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please return Rickie Weeks, Jr. to wherever he came from.

Nope, he's your problem now.

• Locked thread