Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Billy Corgan keeps trying to buy things but in the end all he ever owns is himself. It's really very zen when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just repeat "Today is the greatest" on loop forever ITT please.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

This is amazing.

Billie Corgan is getting every warning one could ever possibly get that being part of the wrestling business is a bad idea.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If that's true wouldn't WWE technically own the broadcast rights to NWA-TNA footage from 2002-2007

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Billy will also fail to acquire
-Juggalo Championship Wrestling
-Some dude's fetish apartment wrestling website
-a bunch of twelve year olds with a tramploline

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

EugeneJ posted:

If that's true wouldn't WWE technically own the broadcast rights to NWA-TNA footage from 2002-2007

Holy poo poo, that's probably the reason they didn't end up buying the TNA tape library (or at least one of the reasons)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

RZApublican posted:

Holy poo poo, that's probably the reason they didn't end up buying the TNA tape library (or at least one of the reasons)

Jeff Jarrett was a deep cover agent all along!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Numero6 posted:

Jeff Jarrett was a deep cover agent all along!

If Jarrett's the reason that Cheex eventually gets on the WWE Network then his entire career will have been worth it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Billy will also fail to acquire
-Juggalo Championship Wrestling
-Some dude's fetish apartment wrestling website
-a bunch of twelve year olds with a tramploline
If he tries to aquire Gatoh Move he can basically fail at two in one

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

EugeneJ posted:

Is the contract exclusive? I don't think that was mentioned in the clip rovert posted.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I mean, it's a technically correct thing, but the fact of the matter is TNA used the NWA name for like 5 years and WWE never challenged them on it. Trademark law is hell and bullshit and stupid, but that's a pretty solid defence NWA could make as to why WWE's contract is null.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The NWA Champion is older than Goldberg.

"Big Daddy V taking on the young man named Tim Storm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gukToHECY

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 2, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

I mean, it's a technically correct thing, but the fact of the matter is TNA used the NWA name for like 5 years and WWE never challenged them on it. Trademark law is hell and bullshit and stupid, but that's a pretty solid defence NWA could make as to why WWE's contract is null.

And TNA did buy the rights to use the NWA name for a set period of time - if anyone's at fault, it would be the NWA rep for knowingly selling TNA a product that WWE could claim rights to

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
is Billy Corgan the least successful money mark of all time or are we saving that honor for someone buried in Nevada

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If it keeps going the way it is he might eventually just give up and end up being the most successful money mark of all time.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What about that guy that won the lottery then proceeded to blow a huge chunk of it on a wrestlelady fed

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What about that guy that won the lottery then proceeded to blow a huge chunk of it on a wrestlelady fed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestlicious That story might not be over yet

quote:

On June 12, 2016 it was reported that there is a Wrestlicious reality TV series in the works.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh poo poo there's even an updated site

https://www.wrestlicious.com

2017 copyright

Wrestlicious coming back!!!!!!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I think the relative success depends on how much that guy values having a TV show where bad wrestlers and also Jimmy Hart tell him he's cool vs how much Billy Corgan values...I don't know what. Looking stupid, I guess.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

is Billy Corgan the least successful money mark of all time or are we saving that honor for someone buried in Nevada

I'm pretty sure it's still Panda Energy, and will be for a long, long time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

No.

If it's a true and enforceable contract it would make it very difficult for TNA to air their old footage though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

No.

If it's a true and enforceable contract it would make it very difficult for TNA to air their old footage though.

And it would give WWE a tremendous amount of leverage in negotiations for the tape library

"Well we were going to give you a million dollars, but since we legally will restrict you from doing anything with the footage whatsoever (rendering it worthless to you), how about $1000?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

And it would give WWE a tremendous amount of leverage in negotiations for the tape library

"Well we were going to give you a million dollars, but since we legally will restrict you from doing anything with the footage whatsoever (rendering it worthless to you), how about $1000?"

TNA not being able to use 200 hours of a 2,000 hour library gives WWE approximately 0 leverage. Because even if this contract were real and valid the only footage that would basically be impossible to use are the weekly PPVs and the weekly PPVs are the least useful of the library because they aren't in HD, look horrible and least importantly to TNA, they suck. It would be very hard for WWE to stop them from using the stuff that just has the NWA title. It's not like it's that hard for Fight Network to blur and bleep stuff.

But let's not live in fantasy land.

WWE does not have the exclusive rights to the NWA in perpetuity. If they did they would not have sat on it for 20 years. Because doing so makes any potential case to protect those rights much more difficult. Especially when they want to stifle competition as much as possible. The mere prospect that this is the case is so stupid.

Nothing works that way.

This was giving Vince the rights to use the name, not ownership of the name. Vince would want these rights because he does not want to end up in a situation where he can't use footage he's shot on TV. Having the rights to use something is so completely different than what you think it is that only you could believe this. Even Cornette isn't even suggesting that, they are joking around that Vince can use the name however he wants if Corgan's NWA were to take off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im not sayin they couldnt win a trademark case 20 years after the fact, because vince is insanely wealthy, but theres a reason people sometimes get sued over minor infringements and its that if you dont defend your control of a trademark against public misuse then you lose it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Law Says know your drat role. haaaha

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As I understand it, (and I may well understand it very very wrongly), Billy Corgan may well have bought the NWA, along with all the intelectual property and belts and stuff along with that.

It's just that the WWE can use all of that poo poo anytime it wants for free. So maybe Billy can stop John Smith from Bumblefuck from using the NWA name etc, or charge Dave Jones from Hicksville a fee to use the name etc. in their promotions, if the WWE wants to, they can just bury the living gently caress out of the NWA on TV in any way they choose, and Billy legaly can't do a thing to stop them.

Is that right?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Despite having the most ridiculous, stupid gimmicks Wrestleicious didn't have a bad roster tbh

grack
Jan 10, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

As I understand it, (and I may well understand it very very wrongly), Billy Corgan may well have bought the NWA, along with all the intelectual property and belts and stuff along with that.

It's just that the WWE can use all of that poo poo anytime it wants for free. So maybe Billy can stop John Smith from Bumblefuck from using the NWA name etc, or charge Dave Jones from Hicksville a fee to use the name etc. in their promotions, if the WWE wants to, they can just bury the living gently caress out of the NWA on TV in any way they choose, and Billy legaly can't do a thing to stop them.

Is that right?

WWE would be hard-pressed to prove they still have the right to use the NWA trademark, belts, names, etc. since they haven't used them in close to 20 years. If you don't use and/or defend a trademark on a regular basis you can lose any rights associated with it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cabbit posted:

Billy Corgan keeps trying to buy things but in the end all he ever owns is himself. It's really very zen when you think about it.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Billy Corgan getting constantly, and brutally, owned by carnies is loving hilarious.

extremely same

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grack posted:

WWE would be hard-pressed to prove they still have the right to use the NWA trademark, belts, names, etc. since they haven't used them in close to 20 years. If you don't use and/or defend a trademark on a regular basis you can lose any rights associated with it.

They used the Big Gold Belt on TV for a majority of that time

grack
Jan 10, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Did WWE actually call it the NWA title?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

grack posted:

Did WWE actually call it the NWA title?

Not that belt, but a lot of old NWA wrestling is on the network.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

the big bold belt was IP of Jim Crockett Promotions and Turner WCW and WWF bought it outright during the sale of WCW

the NWA belt they used for Severn looks nothing like it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 3, 2017

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wwe and billy corgan shoudl have a 10 man elimination tag match to determines who has the rights

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Why does Corgan even want the NWA? Why would anybody. You'd think they'd just let it die the death it deserved to die 30 years ago.
Once the regional system collapsed there was no more NWA, why continue the charade into 2017? There can't possibly be any money in it at this point, can there?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ChrisBTY posted:

Why does Corgan even want the NWA? Why would anybody. You'd think they'd just let it die the death it deserved to die 30 years ago.
Once the regional system collapsed there was no more NWA, why continue the charade into 2017? There can't possibly be any money in it at this point, can there?

Are you suggesting that Tim "The Perfect" Storm isn't the man to build an entire brand around

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Never apply logic to desperate money marks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is why I call him the least successful, he's stalled at the "actually buy a promotion" step of being a money mark. Losing money is the expected endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Not that belt, but a lot of old NWA wrestling is on the network.

Again, nothing to do with the licensing agreement being discussed. Jim Crockett Promotions owned that tape library. It was sold to Turner Broadcasting/WCW when Crockett went bankrupt, and subsequently sold to WWE when the latter bought WCW assets in 2001.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is why I call him the least successful, he's stalled at the "actually buy a promotion" step of being a money mark. Losing money is the expected endgame.

By all accounts Corgan actually got all his money (plus interest) back from TNA. Given TNA's history that's actually pretty impressive.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2017