Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So why aren't they running GTLM today? Not enough room in the pits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

So why aren't they running GTLM today? Not enough room in the pits?

GTLM is in France for Le Mans

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
PC cars are rolling roadblocks for even the GTD cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

GTLM is in France for Le Mans

Right :doh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RIP Mercedes

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Jesus Christ Kenny..

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CactusWeasle posted:

Jesus Christ Kenny..

That was pure idiocy. I dub him the new Tracy Krohn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Win for everyone with the Audi making it in the pits at the last second.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

gret posted:

That was pure idiocy. I dub him the new Tracy Krohn.

That almost looked like a brake failure it was so bad. I'm not convinced it wasnt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, noted good GTE driver (and endurance triple crown class winner with the C7.R Corvette) Oliver Gavin is saying that the new LMP2 cars are like rockets at Le Mans.

I'm not surprised, given the highest LMP1 in terms of top overall speed was loving BYKOLLES at the Sunday test (not lap average).

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/gavin-lmp2-speed-increase-like-having-30-lmp1s-914903/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That almost looked like a brake failure it was so bad. I'm not convinced it wasnt.

With a guy like that, who can tell the difference?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Probably a good thing that the P2's have some straight line speed now, they used to have issues getting outdragged down the straights by the GTs and then stuck behind them in the twisty bits where they were actually faster.

Also, based on the IMSA and ELMS seasons so far, I don't think the Oreca's seemingly huge advantage will be as big in the race. Or at least I hope not.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

In other news, reoccurring joke ByKolles said they're unlikely to participate past the WEC Nurburgring round. The reasoning? Cost of having to ship the car and related equipment overseas.

They're also saying they'll be able to beat LMP2s at Le Mans. This, I do not believe until I see it happen.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/bykolles-unlikely-to-continue-past-nurburgring-wec-round-913479/

And true to form, they didn't beat them all in the test.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

I'm not surprised, given the highest LMP1 in terms of top overall speed was loving BYKOLLES at the Sunday test (not lap average).

the P1-L's have always had higher top speeds than the hybrids. The hybrids only have their full massive power for a short time till their batteries go flat somewhere around 5th gear, then they're running solely on the ICE and those have less power than the privateers, and I think even the P2's.

The P1 hybrids make that up by reaching their (lower) top speed much much much faster. They accelerate faster than F1 cars with their hybrid systems. I believe they're limited to 300kW total hybrid output at Le Mans only, presumably for safety reasons. The rest of the season they have an unlimited hybrid output, but the same amount of energy to deploy per lap. I believe in the rest of the WEC season, both cars have a push to pass system that boosts the hybrid output to dump their energy crazy fast over their normal hybrid outputs which are around 500-600kW (at the cost of not having it later in the lap).

Compare that to F1's 60kW KERS system and similarly powered ICE engines, and you can see why the P1's can outdrag anyone on the planet out of a corner.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder what that acceleration feels like. I hope Toyota win so that the old dude doesnt have to kill himself again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lemans TV schedule

June 17 - June 18

8:30 AM to 10:00 AM - FS1
10:00 AM to 1:00 PM - FoxSports GO, Illegal Streams, and Manufacturer Onboards
1:00 PM to 1:00 AM - FS2
1:00 AM to 9:30 AM - FS1

(whole thing on FS GO if you have access)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving Fox.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
OR just by a WEC streaming pass and get flag to flag coverage with no commercials and way better commentators.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm also working both during the start and finish :suicide:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

I'm also working both during the start and finish :suicide:

Stream it on your phone

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Stream it on your phone

wonderful idea! I'm sure my boss will love me being off the floor in the middle of father's day rush.

:cry:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Pick up a cheap single earbud headset. Problem solved.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

OR just by a WEC streaming pass and get flag to flag coverage with no commercials and way better commentators.
my religion forbids me from giving the FIA/ACO money

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If you're not already a multi-millionaire, then maybe this racing series just isn't for you. Oh wait, no I was thinking of F1.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My new TV is being delivered tomorrow for this and I'll have another million gadgets to watch things on

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

my religion forbids me from giving the FIA/ACO money

So you'll give that to FOX instead...?

It's 30 euro for the whole season and it's gotten even better (both app and website-wise), that deal kicks the poo poo out of paying for cable or trying to rig together a FS Go stream.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

harperdc posted:

It's 30 euro for the whole season and it's gotten even better (both app and website-wise), that deal kicks the poo poo out of paying for cable or trying to rig together a FS Go stream.

the internet is a place of wonder where anything is possible (you don't have to give anyone money for anything)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've kept my Eurosport Player sub active for 3 months longer than necessary just to stretch it to Le Mans.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

i havent had cable in like 5-6 years and the only time ive had trouble finding a feed was when IndyCar had that race bumped to CNBC

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Find a Eurosport stream and that will do. They have ad breaks every 30mins (short but always the same ones) and then nothing in the last hour of the race.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In more misc racing news, the isle of man TT is this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZXaUwYoog

Enjoy a ride through a 140mph superbike crash, poo poo is :stonk:

Over an hour and a half later when they interview him he's still not composed because he was convinced he was dead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Somebody already died.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If anyone wants to see the course at speed, here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxZs2-gICc
Yes, that's an electric bike, but still.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

orange juche posted:

In more misc racing news, the isle of man TT is this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZXaUwYoog

Enjoy a ride through a 140mph superbike crash, poo poo is :stonk:

Over an hour and a half later when they interview him he's still not composed because he was convinced he was dead.

I watched a brief bit of the TT yesterday and that crash happened at that time. Holy poo poo it was scary :(

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
......and just as the TT gets mentioned in the thread, it claims its first life of the year :smith:

https://www.motorsport.com/roadracing/news/davey-lambert-dies-following-tt-crash-915049/

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I'm still amazed at the general attitude around deaths in the TT or moto road racing in general. It's tragic through and through, but it's always the same line from the family and loved ones. "He died doing what he loved." And the race goes on, almost as if it has to.

I guess it's just the general sensibility about personal responsibility in extreme sport. The TT is one of the most dangerous events in the world, with almost two deaths per year on the average. The simple thing to do would be to ban the race, but they just carry on with it under the guise that individuals in the race know the risks and must be prepared to face the ultimate consequences.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I'm still amazed at the general attitude around deaths in the TT or moto road racing in general. It's tragic through and through, but it's always the same line from the family and loved ones. "He died doing what he loved." And the race goes on, almost as if it has to.

I guess it's just the general sensibility about personal responsibility in extreme sport. The TT is one of the most dangerous events in the world, with almost two deaths per year on the average. The simple thing to do would be to ban the race, but they just carry on with it under the guise that individuals in the race know the risks and must be prepared to face the ultimate consequences.

Why the gently caress would they ban the race? The racers race for the prestige of running in the race. They know the risks, and so do the fans and the families of the racers.

They are all too aware of exactly what they're signing up for, and that it's a roll of the dice every time they get on that bike and go through the starting gate.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Find a Eurosport stream and that will do. They have ad breaks every 30mins (short but always the same ones) and then nothing in the last hour of the race.

I dunno I've had to rely on that occasionally but if there's an inexpensive, transparent, easy to use way to get access I'll go for that, especially streaming. It's one part "support the series" and one part amazement we have access to this for the price. Just the Le Mans race is $6 if memory serves.

Or check out Radio Le Mans at least.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah for sure but that concept is beyond some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The WEC stream + Radio Le Mans is the only satisfactory way to watch. :colbert:

• Locked thread