Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The idea of going first being the result of losing the coin flip is interesting, but that's totally how I feel when I play with my crappy budget monster weather deck right now. Most of my cards are reactive, so having to play out into an empty board sucks.

Also, thanks for the feedback. I'll grab the dragon for now. I guess silvers aren't super expensive to craft anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As SK it can be pretty lovely going second, especially in the mirror matchup where whoever plays a bear first has a huge advantage in the bear wars. Otherwise it's usually better to go second yeah

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Going second is definitely advantageous. That's why the winner of previous round always goes first.

I agree that Imperial Golems do seem pretty oppressive but if you've played with them in your deck you do realise that they gently caress you over at times. For instance it makes Clear Skies - Rally basically a huge risk to play before your hero or if you do get unlucky on your mulligans then you are essentially a card down for the match. You have to really consider the risk of the 3rd mulligan on round 1. At 2 power Imperial Golems would still be plenty good however and I bet they get nerfed to that in the future.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Due to the way mulligans work it doesn't seem like the Golems have as much of a downside there as, say, Shieldmaidens. If you pull any of them in your opening hand you can blacklist them right off the bat and have no worries for the rest of the mulligan. If you don't pull any you can still mulligan twice with no worries, as if they come up you blacklist them immediately and get your third. If they don't come up in the first two you can weigh your chances on that third grabbing one. With something you want one of but only one, like Shieldmaidens, you can't blacklist them unless you draw two, though I guess since they have Veteran you can throw your single back if you are worried and thin your deck later with a bit more power on board. It may be close to a wash now that I think about it, though with Shieldmaidens you need enough damaged minions on board to take the first two hits to pull all three.

I wonder if they could buff their strength to 5-6 and do something like "Orders: Summon from your deck, and Destroy other Ally [whatever their name is] Golems." Provides less power but more thinning than Saskia, and thinning by losing bronzes is probably better than thinning by a gold. Saskia does give Roach Orders, basically, though.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A 9 damage lactate is good value, and milf will always have more than just the golems in the melee lane. It's a shame that lactate fell out of favor for some reason I cant understand, its terrific as a raw source of value compared to other specials.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I wonder if they could buff their strength to 5-6 and do something like "Orders: Summon from your deck, and Destroy other Ally [whatever their name is] Golems." Provides less power but more thinning than Saskia, and thinning by losing bronzes is probably better than thinning by a gold. Saskia does give Roach Orders, basically, though.
Yeah, it's "probably" better.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

can you will all the challenges with starting cards or should I focus on getting a bunch of kegs first and then editing stuff?

I am using mostly swim's monster starter deck and I got a few nice scoia'tael cards (like toruviel) which may be a good side to invest in

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The monster srarter deck should easily crush every deck except dagon cultists, which it merely beats handily.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I beat all the challenges with the initial Monster Weather deck. I did tweak it however for the Dagon fight by adding all the extra weather clear available. It's the only tough fight of the lot and he casts a poo poo load of weather cards.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Hey guys, wondering what I should swap in and out in my deck.

http://gwentify.com/decks/hybrid-weather-harpy/

I definitely want a third wild hunt hound in there but I've held off in the hopes of opening one since I don't really want to waste scraps on crafting it. Ghoul is to mess with Queensguard. I know I'm not running optimal silvers but I crafted 2 crones early into open beta so it's tough for me to replace them all since I don't have enough strong silvers to replace them right now. The deck is doing work for me right now but I know it's far from optimal. I'm standing right now at close to 600 scrap so I'm debating either making some silvers to round out this deck or wait to craft Ge'els or another legendary for a different deck.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've opened 6 Wild Hunt Riders, wish I could have swapped one with you! I've noticed a weird little bug with them too - since there are actually 3 different rider cards they won't necessarily auto mill when you actually have extra copies - you can have up to 9 of the buggers before they can be milled with the mill all extra cards button.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Flayer posted:

I've opened 6 Wild Hunt Riders, wish I could have swapped one with you! I've noticed a weird little bug with them too - since there are actually 3 different rider cards they won't necessarily auto mill when you actually have extra copies - you can have up to 9 of the buggers before they can be milled with the mill all extra cards button.

That's not a bug though that's a feature because of the different art cards. It's kinda annoying but different art is cool

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I do wish they had an option somewhere for milling the alt art cards. Have "keep 3 of one kind" or "keep 1 of each kind" and have the auto-mill mill the others. I hear they plan on allowing crafting in the deck construction screen soon so that will help a bit, but doesn't do anything for cards/factions you aren't playing.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Xtanstic posted:

That's not a bug though that's a feature because of the different art cards. It's kinda annoying but different art is cool
Yeah it's really cool especially the premium art when they are in trio since the art turns into one big picture. Wild Hunt Riders are the card that most tempt me to transmute for that reason.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Man, I love seeing the Spell'atel deck as weather monsters. I run Caranthir, Geralt: Igni and Bekker's Twisted Mirror, and that third round is just mmmmmmmmm so good. It's great because when you see that leader you just know they're running it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Had a Fiend lock one of my guys who had Quen on, then damage it. Is Lock meant to disable shields?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Seedge posted:

Had a Fiend lock one of my guys who had Quen on, then damage it. Is Lock meant to disable shields?

Think of lock as "removes any card text on this unit". It gets rid of everything but boosts and strengthens.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I do wish they had an option somewhere for milling the alt art cards. Have "keep 3 of one kind" or "keep 1 of each kind" and have the auto-mill mill the others. I hear they plan on allowing crafting in the deck construction screen soon so that will help a bit, but doesn't do anything for cards/factions you aren't playing.

This would be amazing

Darke GBF posted:

Think of lock as "removes any card text on this unit". It gets rid of everything but boosts and strengthens.

Unlocking a locked card resets it to normal before buffs right? If something locks my Ekimara, will it get resilience back?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Xtanstic posted:

This would be amazing

Unlocking a locked card resets it to normal before buffs right? If something locks my Ekimara, will it get resilience back?

They get no resilience back, no.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xtanstic posted:

Mostly yeah. It depends on if the resilience is a deploy ability or passive. If it's passive then you'll get it back if you unlock that unit. IIRC Ekkimara is passive.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Don't believe so, no.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So how are people building Calveit? He's really the only Nilfgaard leader I've yet to try. His ability is obviously pretty awesome for filtering your deck, so combined with emissaries just run spies?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

So how are people building Calveit? He's really the only Nilfgaard leader I've yet to try. His ability is obviously pretty awesome for filtering your deck, so combined with emissaries just run spies?

Calveit is arguably the strongest leader in the game. Most people build him as spies, but you can build him as a control leader as well. Just go to GwentDB.com and look at the decks there. You absolutely must run Cahir with him, because having two of those abilities is insane.

I've been having insanely good luck with daily reward kegs over the past few days. I don't remember the last keg I opened that didn't have at least an epic in it, with a few having a legendary. Including some premiums, which i'm down with. I have terrible luck with kegs I pay for, but if they are free than they have been great for me.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The snake border is mine! I AM THE GREETEST

Final match to rank up was against a northern realms guy playing some kind of reaver hunter variant with Foltest instead of Henselt. As the game was loading and I saw Foltest I was just like... Holy poo poo free win. That's really sad, man. He did alright for NR, but I had a 32 point Geralt: Igni that I was prepared to follow up with a Twisted Mirror when he played his final card if it was a reaver hunter. Insta-concede.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hjalmar is better as a card than he ever was as a person.

He's my friend and my new first-round victory machine. Few players wanna commit to beating 25 points out the gate, scorch-immunity and all, and that means they'll push too hard on round 2 to win, draining their cards and giving my inexhaustible supply of raiders a clean win.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just tried to Dimeritium Bomb my opponent's Unseen Elder. :v:

EDIT: Just realized the audio of Roach's premium card is a horse remix of the Gwent theme.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 4, 2017

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just lol if you are not playing gwent with cloak and dagger from the wild hunt OST on loop

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

nah man, Gaunter O'Dimm's theme is where it's at

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Crones' theme is pretty good too.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

RatHat posted:

The Crones' theme is pretty good too.

They're high on my list of cards to turn premium because their theme is great. I had an opponent drop all three premium crones (his whole deck was premium) and I was pretty jealous.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Are Crones good? It feels like a trap given that decks are limited to 6 silvers. My brother has been complaining that he lacks flexibility since he has 3 crones + weather/lock mages.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

Are Crones good? It feels like a trap given that decks are limited to 6 silvers. My brother has been complaining that he lacks flexibility since he has 3 crones + weather/lock mages.

It's not so much that they're great as it is that the other silver options for monsters are even worse

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xtanstic posted:

If you can afford to effectively run only 3 silvers, then yeah.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Xtanstic posted:

In closed beta I played monsters all the time and the crones were a solid opening play + deck thinning was good.

They're probably still good for that function now in open beta I guess, but I havent played Monsters yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So if Borkh/Villentretenmerth is demoted and is the highest value unit on the board he'll just Scorch himself and then not do the 2nd Scorch because he's dead. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not, seems like the 2nd Scorch should go off.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

They're deck-thinning, and a big swing play if you save them. I've won a lot of games by playing them as my very last card. I've also lost plenty of games because turn three I chanced it and milled something else only to find I drew a second crone, making it a total dead draw.

The other silver options for monsters (except for Water Hag) are just kind of niche/situational. Frightener is good.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not having Geralt Ingi is such a handicap. I feel like about half the matches I've lost I could have won if I'd had that card.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Not having Geralt Ingi is such a handicap. I feel like about half the matches I've lost I could have won if I'd had that card.

If it's any consolation, I've lost a few games from saving him for too long. He's hard to use properly in some matchups.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah unless you know 100% that there will be a better opportunity you should probably use him when you can kill ~15 points of stuff with him. I've definitely been screwed by getting too greedy and waiting too long. Some decks don't really have a way to move units so you can wait until the last minute though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gigni has its moments for sure but it's a lot easier to play around now than it was in closed beta due to the massive increase in units playable on any row