Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like 9 the most, with 4 in second place.

I dunno why. I just really enjoyed 9. There's just something about it. It'd be cool if there was some kind of hd remake of it that maybe fixed up some of its flaws like maybe doing a little more with some of the cast that falls by the wayside by the game's end, but I dunno. It's a flawed game but I like it in spite of, and maybe even because of, said flaws :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

9 is ok. I don't like that in a game that deliberately goes for nostalgia, the mechanics are still really not at all like the old games it's superficially similar to. I really liked those old games. I don't like Kuja as a villain, either. And I really wish I could switch Zidane out of my party.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I just finished Dark Scavenger, it was pretty great and I think is worth putting on your steam wishlist for the summer sale.
It's a mutt mix of point and click adventure , choose your own adventure books, and light RPG combat, but the real fun draw of it is that you get to steal everything that isn't nailed down and then bring it back to your three space ship buddies. Each of your space friends is a craftsman with a specialty so you have to choose which one will convert your stolen gains into a weapon, utility item, or ally. In this way you'll only see a third of the game's equipment in any given play through. The writing is funny and the art is not great but adds to overall goofy oddball charm the game has going for it. One of the best steam games I've played this year.

Now I have to go finish Sonic Adventure DX. I'm at the Amy parts right now, still a bad game!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In terms of getting a good sense of what all the characters do and the most common moves you're going to run into, at least they give you that so you can go into a fight with at least some kind of gameplan. Like, I have a good sense of what I'm going up against with all 30 characters and that probably took me maybe a couple hours in tutorials. I feel like for Tekken that will at least be 20 hours just to get the character archetypes straight

I am jealous of Guilty Gear's training mode, from what I've seen in videos, though

Well the thing with Tekken is that there's one archetype at least, and the archetype is Tekken Guy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
9 was the 3rd final fantasy game I'd tried after X and 8, second I'd ever seen though (I watched my sister play a little bit of it, the Amarant kidnapping scene. First FF game I ever saw was FF7 at my neighbor's house where he showed off killing the big snake thing and showing off a cactuar. I don't think either are enough to qualify those as my first FF games.) so a lot of the nostalgia stuff went over my head since they were references to things I didn't really have much experience with in the first place. I just enjoyed the overall tone and feel of the game. Music, aesthetic, atmosphere, locales, designs, writing, personality, just loved it all.

The Silver Snail posted:

I just finished Dark Scavenger, it was pretty great and I think is worth putting on your steam wishlist for the summer sale.
It's a mutt mix of point and click adventure , choose your own adventure books, and light RPG combat, but the real fun draw of it is that you get to steal everything that isn't nailed down and then bring it back to your three space ship buddies. Each of your space friends is a craftsman with a specialty so you have to choose which one will convert your stolen gains into a weapon, utility item, or ally. In this way you'll only see a third of the game's equipment in any given play through. The writing is funny and the art is not great but adds to overall goofy oddball charm the game has going for it. One of the best steam games I've played this year.

Dark Scavenger is really good and yeah, the art is like...I dunno, I wanna say it's bad, but it isn't really *bad* so much as it is really rough and just all around strange and the game's art just adds to the overall alien feel of everything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The complete lack of info at all in the new game blows though

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unless you wanted to go full NES I dunno what would've constituted a mechanical throwback back then. I'm not a big FF guy beyond really liking V as a kid but aren't IV-IX all ATB games with different customization systems?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The complete lack of info at all in the new game blows though

Im just gonna main like katarina or whatever and press 4 until something clicks with tougher chars

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is parasyte the body horror one with the arm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oddium posted:

is parasyte the body horror one with the arm

yes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

also

Superhot is super good.

I am really, really bad at it because I keep playing it like I did Frozen Synapse - instead of figuring out where the enemy's gonna move, I keep shooting at where they are, and missing. :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time moves only when you move, though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Time moves only when you move, though

Yeah, but that includes my bullets. I have to move to make them go

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

also

Superhot is super good.

I am really, really bad at it because I keep playing it like I did Frozen Synapse - instead of figuring out where the enemy's gonna move, I keep shooting at where they are, and missing. :negative:

The easiest trick, though it's hard to keep in mind:

You're sort of 2D in Superhot. If you turn to the side you can dodge a LOT of attacks you wouldn't think you can. It helps to try to 'look' at bullets. If you keep them in your sight you can usually walk right past them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Super Hot is the most innovative shooter I’ve played in years!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Why did it even do that. I don't get it
i've seen several otherwise benign series have something gross in the first episode so maybe it's just "this is the only way we can hook a loving idiot otaku into our not-for-idiots show" but i assume it generally doesn't work because the stuff that gets multiple seasons are the specifically-for-otaku shows

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The easiest trick, though it's hard to keep in mind:

You're sort of 2D in Superhot. If you turn to the side you can dodge a LOT of attacks you wouldn't think you can. It helps to try to 'look' at bullets. If you keep them in your sight you can usually walk right past them.

...oooh I'm gonna try that! Thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Im just gonna main like katarina or whatever and press 4 until something clicks with tougher chars

im doing something similar but just using Kazumi and spamming tigers

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really should replay FF9. Did they ever make the text not look weird in the Steam release?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

i've seen several otherwise benign series have something gross in the first episode so maybe it's just "this is the only way we can hook a loving idiot otaku into our not-for-idiots show" but i assume it generally doesn't work because the stuff that gets multiple seasons are the specifically-for-otaku shows

Unless you're watching kids' shows or films it's that all the way down.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The avatar god is angry

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Let's just agree all anime is bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about gurren lagann

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Some anime is good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just like how some video games are good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

That's usually the path to another 4-5 pages of talking about it

my opinion of Ghost 1.0 is that it's a C+ Metroidvania compared to the D grade that UnEpic earned

also I guess it's only barely a Metroidvania in that areas are gated by keys, but otherwise it's very very linear and abilities like dash/double jump are optional and not necessary to traverse

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gex is a good game and a good mascot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm gex

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That's usually the path to another 4-5 pages of talking about it

my opinion of Ghost 1.0 is that it's a C+ Metroidvania compared to the D grade that UnEpic earned

Thanks for your review on it, btw. I'm probably going to get Hollow Knight instead this summer sale

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a real, real loving good show.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtbgg7_C63I

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks for your review on it, btw. I'm probably going to get Hollow Knight instead this summer sale
yeah what I played of Hollow Knight's sneak peak from Humble Bundle played way better, looks way better, and has way less Big Bang Theory humor

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The confusing part is when you get like 6 or 7 episodes into something and THEN that happens and I'm left going

Lookin at you Kobayashi's Dragon Maid thing episode 6

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a real, real loving good show.

This is very true. Like not "it's a good anime," it's just a genuinely good well-acted well-directed show.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

yeah what I played of Hollow Knight's sneak peak from Humble Bundle played way better, looks way better, and has way less Big Bang Theory humor

Yeah, yeah. I still want Ghost 1.0 if only so I can play as a robot lady ghost thing, but...ehh, I'm not yet desperate for decent metroidvanias when bug fun is waiting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

The confusing part is when you get like 6 or 7 episodes into something and THEN that happens and I'm left going

Lookin at you Kobayashi's Dragon Maid thing episode 6
there's this cute romance-subversion anime called Love Lab that halfway through for no reason has a blackface scene :gonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't mind fanservice as much as some people do, it just struck me as a weird moment is all

there's this cute romance-subversion anime called Love Lab that halfway through for no reason has a blackface scene :gonk:

This is still pretty hilarious when it crops up though *looks at mr. popo*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bugzinga

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive been slacking off programming practice and playing video games instead, so i decided to compromise and learn how to use cheat engine. it's kind of cool using knowledge i picked up in my 20s to mess around with games i played when i was 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lmao

My favorite manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure still suffers with this kinda stuff. I'd argue that the artist, as much as I love his work, has actively gotten worse at drawing black people as the years have gone by.

Like, with the dragon maid anime, the first ep had some weird pervy stuff in it but it was easy enough to write off as just trying to hook in the otakus since iirc it got dialed back a lot right after that, then episode 6 comes along and suddenly it's fuckin creepy as hell, get that poo poo outta here please. Then my understanding is the show just goes back to being not-creepy so it's like they needed to take an episode to make sure the otakus were still paying attention or something.

• Locked thread