Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

fate/grand order is a more fun rpg than a lot of games and its a mobage.

and i liked s;g 0 but its kinda all over the place and yeah, feels very unnecessary at the end of the day.

fate/bland boredor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a good thing the Trails series will never fall into gacha hell, haha

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Endorph posted:

and i liked s;g 0 but its kinda all over the place and yeah, feels very unnecessary at the end of the day.

I haven't read 0 yet but I know when it takes place so like...isn't it kind of a given that it feels unnecessary at the end of the day? I still kinda wanna check it out if it's ever on sale for cheap enough, I liked the characters in S;G.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Motto posted:

It's a good thing the Trails series will never fall into gacha hell, haha

I'm not sure if you were being facetious or not but there's already been 2 Trails mobage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

proving that those guys were being weird about dies irae, it's 18 dollars for 2 routes, with 4 routes total. aka 36 dollars.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

proving that those guys were being weird about dies irae, it's 18 dollars for 2 routes, with 4 routes total. aka 36 dollars.
I can't believe video game fans were wrong about a publishing decision.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i assumed it was gonna be 15 dollars for each of 4 or 5 routes, glad to be wrong

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thread from the head of novetacle (vndb lists him as director and scenario writer as well)
https://twitter.com/hanadakeika/status/871191946210926594

quote:

I couldn't understand how hard localization's work was, who great people were spending times for us.
...didn't know everything.
I was shamed into studying so that knowing these things. I know I need to continue it, my English still have mistakes.
But my efforts bear fruit little by little. Now, I can understand how wonderful and awesome a year was, how happy Fata and I were.
Fata morgana gave me a lot of great occasions. I'm sure Fata changed my life, and then, it keeps continuing in the future.
So, I want to say thank you again. Thank you for all of the people who loves Fata morgana.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

Who only buys half a VN each time?! I'm over segmented games BUT at least they're out at the same time. I'm waiting on reviews other than stream posts. Someone take the noble sacrifice and post here.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

My thoughts on Dies Irae:

I'm at the end of the common route, or maybe beginning of the Kasumi route. I'm partway into chapter 7, so I don't know where that lands me, but I'm pretty close to the border, since I've been told that this is around the end of the common route. I've been using a guide to play, as I've been told that the wrong order ruins the game. I'm going to be comparing it to FSN as a frame of reference, since it is the closest VN I've read to this sort of thing.

Below isn't really a spoiler, but I talk about the flow of the game, which may be something that someone doesn't want to know (I know I'm hyper sensitive to the stuff) so I will put it in spoiler tag to be safe.

The battles have felt kind of fast compared to FSN. They've generally been pretty good, but have felt abruptly short. On the flip side, the down time segments are generally well paced. This leaves it with a really strange rhythm.

The music feels generally kind of repetitive. Having recently finished Fata Morgana, it feels like a pain to have to listen to like 2 short tracks loop over and over for battle sequences. For a battle opera, you'd think they would have some actual variety in battle music.

It seems OK so far, but I don't think I'm really far enough to give a realistic perspective on it. I purchased it to scratch the itch left after reading FSN and watching Fate/Zero, and seems to be doing an adequate job of that so far.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 4, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

Below isn't really a spoiler, but I talk about the flow of the game, which may be something that someone doesn't want to know (I know I'm hyper sensitive to the stuff) so I will put it in spoiler tag to be safe.

The battles have felt kind of fast compared to FSN. They've generally been pretty good, but have felt abruptly short. On the flip side, the down time segments are generally well paced. This leaves it with a really strange rhythm.

I feel like these kinds of games actually have the tendency to have battles that stretch on for way too long, and I definitely don't mind it when a VN manages to avoid that. I'm not out of the common route yet, but I also get the impression that these "early" battles are all setup and a prelude to the real deal, so I imagine many of the later ones will be much longer.

I don't know why this discussion is in spoiler tags. It's not a spoiler.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

It seems OK so far, but I don't think I'm really far enough to give a realistic perspective on it. I purchased it to scratch the itch left after reading FSN and watching Fate/Zero, and seems to be doing an adequate job of that so far.

Thanks for your mini-review. I've not read FS/N original VN despite having watched the anime, movie, and F/Z. Sorry, to hear about the battle BGM since it's one of the few things I find some VNs to be annoying when they have 20 songs and they cycle through them for EVERY important moment to the point where I just mute BGM and play Spotify.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It looks like there is a best visual novel contest with brackets being held right now. You can vote here. They are arranged mostly randomly, with the exception that otome games are placed within there own sub-bracket. The same applies for untranslated games. This ensures that at exactly 1 otome game and 1 untranslated game will make it into the final 8.

I know it just a silly popularity contest, but I'm always a sucker for these things.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Voted in round 1 and will be following the progress of the contest. Probably 80% of them I'd never heard of so I only voted in matches where I recognized and played at least one of them. (I couldn't stomach voting for Dangan Ronpa 2 though, there's a decent chance some random VN is actually better.) Also, I don't think the first three Ace Attorney games or the two Gyakuten Kenji games should have been grouped together.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Humble Sekai Project Bundle is worth it for $12 Root Double alone; everything else is gravy.

Admittedly some of the gravy is rancid but you can just eat around those parts.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

NRVNQSR posted:

Humble Sekai Project Bundle is worth it for $12 Root Double alone; everything else is gravy.

Admittedly some of the gravy is rancid but you can just eat around those parts.

I'm super interested in 75% of it. Nekopara\KaraKara \Japanese School Life are whatever but the rest seem good.

Now to sell myself or some left over Bundle keys for :20bux:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol at the otome games ghetto

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Anyone have any opinions on whether Memory's Dogma CODE:01 and Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru are worth the time it'll take to read them? Does IMGCCM require reading Grisaia first?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

NRVNQSR posted:

Anyone have any opinions on whether Memory's Dogma CODE:01 and Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru are worth the time it'll take to read them? Does IMGCCM require reading Grisaia first?

Memory's Dogma does have a Demo\Episode 0 manga if you want to give those a shot.

I've decided. As Goons as my witness, I will work on my VN backlog.

Backlog is:
Analogue: A Hate Story
Cupid
Dejection
Dies Irae Common Route
Don't take it personally babe, it's just ain't your story
Emily is away
First Kiss at a Spooky Soiree
Hatoful Boyfriend
Higurashi: Onikakushi
Loan Wolf
Lucid9
Lucky Me Lucky You
Memory's Dogma demo
Once on a Windswept Night
One Thousand Lies
Planetarian
Root Letter (VN-esqe?)
Romance Detective
School Days
Sepia Tears
Sounds of her Love
Stein's Gate

Granted, I'm interested in quite a few others but money and backlog stop me. I know a lot of these are cheap\short but it's like reading a quick little 300 page book.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 6, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiruchiru is a goofy au thing with no real plot connection to the actual vn series. the second half works a bit better if you know some of the backstory of grisaia, but it's not really necessary.

that said the jokes are 50/50. some of them land but a lot of them are just weird anime sex jokes. kazuki's great, though. just read the first 'episode' if you do get the bundle and if none of the jokes hit for you, don't bother reading anymore, it'll basically just be similar jokes over and over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ChiruChiru was also translated by a different translator who isn't even remotely as good at writing funny dialogue as the original Grisaia translator.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

ChiruChiru was also translated by a different translator who isn't even remotely as good at writing funny dialogue as the original Grisaia translator.
on the flipside, every chiruchiru scene doesn't have a 50/50 shot of the protagonist going 'women are dumb' at the end of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd attribute that to the different protagonist, not the different translator. (Yuuji is a shitbag, basically)

Anyway, that bundle is a pretty insane value for $12.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

For people curious about Dies Irae, my opinion has improved over my previous thoughts. It has went from a 7.5 to a 9 for me. At this point I've finished the recommended points up to the beginning of Kei's route (all of Kasumi's route and the "Wehrwolf" story). The battle scenes are fantastic, and the the characters have begun to grow on me. Shirou in particular.

I've heard a coupe new tracks introduced in a couple of places, but the battle themes still feel repetitive.

I'm definitely looking to see what the later routes offer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

It looks like there is a best visual novel contest with brackets being held right now. You can vote here. They are arranged mostly randomly, with the exception that otome games are placed within there own sub-bracket. The same applies for untranslated games. This ensures that at exactly 1 otome game and 1 untranslated game will make it into the final 8.

I know it just a silly popularity contest, but I'm always a sucker for these things.
They're not using a proportional multi-seat single transferable vote system like I suggested, so I'm drawing a cock on my ballot and refusing to participate.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

They're not using a proportional multi-seat single transferable vote system like I suggested, so I'm drawing a cock on my ballot and refusing to participate.

Nah, range voting with a Bayesian weighting is where its at.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

that counts as a vote

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i know 0 about any of these VNs in the humble other than root double, which i already own and read. can someone give their impressions?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Endorph posted:

on the flipside, every chiruchiru scene doesn't have a 50/50 shot of the protagonist going 'women are dumb' at the end of it.

I usually took his comments as comparing women to men, but in the overly hyper-masculine way one gets from living and chatting only with other hyper-masculine guys for most of one's life. It's a lot more understandable to think "Eh, most women wouldn't understand this" if 95% of the people you've interacted with have been male soldiers. Besides, he's clearly capable of respecting women, it's just that in the past it's been almost entirely respecting them for being a badass at fighting, because fighting was all he did.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
He is a fundamentally broken person and is tremendously hosed up.

I think he improves slowly over time?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stexils posted:

i know 0 about any of these VNs in the humble other than root double, which i already own and read. can someone give their impressions?
Fault is very good. That's all I know.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stexils posted:

Root Double is the only one I've read, but I've heard decent things about Fault, and pretty good things about Narcissu and World End Economica. Nekopara and Karakara are generic trashy nonsense. ChiruChiru might be amusing if you liked Grisaia's humor but half of the jokes will probably go over your head if you haven't read the VNs it's based off of. I've heard Sound of Drop is a pretty mediocre horror VN with a bad translation. I know nothing about everything else.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Artificer posted:

He is a fundamentally broken person and is tremendously hosed up.

I think he improves slowly over time?

He is, to be fair, way more reasonable and open-minded than I would expect from someone with such limited life experience.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Stexils posted:

Fault is really good, but just be aware that it's episodic and only the first 2 parts (out of 4) are done. Each milestone has it's own self-contained subplot but there's cliffhanger-ish stuff with regard to the overall story. World End Economica is also good but it would help if you are at least somewhat interested in economics to enjoy it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

astr0man posted:

Fault is really good, but just be aware that it's episodic and only the first 2 parts (out of 4) are done. Each milestone has it's own self-contained subplot but there's cliffhanger-ish stuff with regard to the overall story.
I didn't know it's planned to actually end. That's a relief. I got a bit worried when the second game started introducing a bunch of new characters and doing nothing with them, just to set up stories that don't exist yet. It was giving me Wheel of Time flashbacks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

By the way, for anyone reading Dies irae, it is very strongly recommended that you follow the specific route order of Kasumi -> Kei -> Marie -> Rea. The game allows you to choose routes in any order, yet it was very clearly written with that order in mind and the plot develops across those multiple routes with that read order assumed. I think there's also currently a bug that makes it so you don't see some important scenes in the Rea route if you haven't complete the previous three first.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

FractalSandwich posted:

I didn't know it's planned to actually end. That's a relief. I got a bit worried when the second game started introducing a bunch of new characters and doing nothing with them, just to set up stories that don't exist yet. It was giving me Wheel of Time flashbacks.

I guess it's not confirmed that the 4th part would be the official end, but the Japanese group that makes them hasn't said anything about any potential chapters that would come after part 4.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

astr0man posted:

I guess it's not confirmed that the 4th part would be the official end, but the Japanese group that makes them hasn't said anything about any potential chapters that would come after part 4.
Oh, so by 4, you didn't mean 4 numbered entries. You meant the two games that are already out, the prequel, and the second half of 2. Never mind, I guess I accidentally committed to another sprawling fantasy epic after all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

lol at the otome games ghetto

It can't be helped. Amnesia has already dropped to $1 so often it's not even worth considering in a bundle :shrug:

Stexils posted:

I liked World Economica when I bought the 1st game several years ago and I would say it's one of the better VNs in the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm about mid-way(?) through Planetarian. It's not bad but it isn't blowing me away. I understand Yumemi's supposed to be cute in a fashion but without any other character to bounce off of than the MC, she tends to grate a little bit. :(